Running General

>crtl-f
>"running general"
wtf? Where my endorphins junkies at?
post stories, question, feelings or just anything related to running.

I feel ok
Also sage and go fuck yourself with ctrl+f shit

Whats wrong user? You don't like cardio?

how do I into training for sprinting, after three months of 5ks I want to mix it up a bit

is a 180 heartbeat okay after interval training?

I mostly do bodyweight and cardio.

For some reason, my runs are a LOT easier and more enjoyable in the evenings or even late at night than the mornings.

Is this because I haven't eaten much or something? the difference is astronomical. I huff and puff like a pussy after a quarter mile versus blasting through 5-10k like it's nothing

>stop jogging all 5k.

>walk and warm up

>sprint until you feel like you're going to explode. Be sure to keep good form

>Slow down and recover a bit

>rinse, repeat

also, stretching and proper form are much more important when stretching as it uses different muscles. don't injure yourself

>havent eaten much
I used to run with just a banana and a cup of coffee, was pretty amazing. Then I discovered whole wheat pasta, its better imo.

>have pretty good endurance from cycling
>can't ride bike because of weather
>decide to run for the first time in my life
>5km 30mins not that bad
>excruciating pain for almost a week
>never ran agian

Pain where? you're either really heavy and got shin splints, or poor form. Or you were running in converse. Or a combination of all of the above

knees and achilles, actually ran in some sneakers i had lying around.
I think I was 70kg at 175cm at that time, so not that heavy.

Just got done with pic related
feeling great, weather wasn't perfect, a bit too humid but at least it didn't rain.

>5 miles
fucking nice man. Lately I've been able to go over 5 miles as well, plan on going all the way to 10

shit killed me i was sweating like a horse. 10 miles would be awesome but not something im aiming for anytime soon, i've done 8 miles in summer.
you plan on running a marathon?

That endurance might give you a false sense of running ability. Running wears down your joints terribly compared to cycling, especially if you run too much and with improper form. You might wanna try running a little slower and for shorter distances at first. If you havent ran ever in your life, then you'll have some undeveloped muscles in your legs, when those muscles give in, your bones/joints will take the strain instead.

No way, I'm from Newport Beach too!

For real? You go to UCI?

just warmdown before finishing your training

>If you havent ran ever in your life, then you'll have some undeveloped muscles in your legs
That's probably it.
Went from fat slob to skinny by cycling and diet only, I don't think I have any muscles apart from quads.

Would running once a week be enough to benefit from it? Currently trying to improve my general fitness/looks, but I am on the bike 4 times a week and started bodyweight fitness 3 times a week for posture/upper body strength, so my training plan is kinda packed already.

Any way to train my legs in the gym to get better at jogging?

I run marathons and have the same problem. The pace for my morning runs is always 30-60 seconds slower than evening runs and morning runs always feel tough.

I figure it has to do with not eating anything in the morning. I essentially jump from bed into running without fully waking up.

You'll benefit from any running. My main point is that you should start slow and eventually you'll get to a point where you can run almost everyday. Just pretend that you're still a fat slob and run accordingly, you might even wanna do C25k though it might feel easy. Also look up proper running form and get some running shoes.

It sounds like you get plenty of exercise already, but only running makes you good at running (almost). In terms of posture, I wouldnt be surpised if running would help that a lot more compared cycling also.

I disagree on walking warm-ups. You should be doing an easy job for warm-ups and cool downs.

But your sprints should look like several sets of various distances. Wear a GPS watch and try to match or beat the times of previous sets.

I've done some pyramid workouts with some success:
1 mile warm-up
1 400 m
1 800 m
1 1600 m
1 800 m
1 400 m
1 mile cool-down

Keep up your regular 5k runs in your schedule, sprint work shouldn't really be done every day.

Yeah, cycling is probably making my posture even worse, but its the first sport i really enjoyed, just finished my first race season.
I do get plenty of excercise but atm my goal is to get an overall "strong/healthy" body, like fixing my posture and building some upper muscle to avoid future back/joint problems, running would probably be a good addition, might replace one cycling session with running.

Gonna try C25K, didn't really consider it because I am decently fit, but it kinda makes sense.

d1 commit sprinter and jumper, ask me anything guys

Good idea replacing one session a week so far. You'll probably be able to skip the first few weeks of C25k, but its a pretty good plan for new runners in general.
Do yourself a favour and get some running shoes, if you go to a physical store, they can find some that fits you properly, it can make a huge difference for avoiding injury.
Good luck, user.

I have one of those stores near me that "analyze" how you run on a treadmill to get you the perfect shoe, gonna go there next week.
Thanks, really hope that I can stick with it, always found running a bit dull, but then agian, I never really gave it a chance.

Neeewwwwwpoooorrtttttttt

wtf 3rd user from Newport ITT. What you guys doing tonight?