Is having a weak curl normal? I can bench 70kg and squat 120kg but I can barely curl 15kg for more than 10 reps...

Is having a weak curl normal? I can bench 70kg and squat 120kg but I can barely curl 15kg for more than 10 reps. Fuck I wish someone told me to do curls as a beginner.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=na7fTVLAU60
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's pretty normal if you completely neglected to train your biceps

why didn't you train your biceps? even rippetoe says it's a good idea

you didn't listen to that Medhi fraud, right?

If you've trained it less than your other lifts or otherwise don't get as much bicep stimulation, then yes of course.

Hit them hard and they'll catch up.

Why do you care about how much you curl? Also bench and squats don't use your biceps.

never did any bicep work apart from weight chins and i can curl 30 kg for 10 easily

Who are you trying to impress with your bullshit?

What should be a good weight to curl as an intermediate?

I did Greyskull LP, which had curls but apparently it wasn't enough

Wait, 15kg is bad normal or good?

You mean barbell curl, right? That's pretty standard for any adult male.

With one arm, 15kg for 10 reps is probably slightly above average. If it's a barbell curl, that's untrained woman-tier.

>>you didn't listen to that Medhi fraud, right?
Yes, yes, I did.

I've been nothing but stronglifts for a year. Am I doing it wrong?

db

well i'm current at 45 kg chinups for 3x5 so i guess that helps a lot

You can curl more than me (dumbell) and I can bench more than you

I've been chucking in pullups and curls as accessories to stronglifts recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=na7fTVLAU60

The first guy is doing ~30kg db curls and I highly doubt your arms look like that.

>15kg for 10 reps is probably slightly above average

Is that right? Then it's not as weak as I thought

>I've been nothing but stronglifts for a year. Am I doing it wrong?

OP here, switch to Greyskull. I found AMRAP better than Stronglifts. Google PHRUK's greyskull on leddit

Try weighted chinups as well, they really hit the back and biceps good.

muscles /= strength

>stronglifts for a year
Kek wtf? You just pissed away a year. Even Medhi doesn't recommend doing it that long. What the fuck is wrong with you? How do you have such weak number after a year of SL?

Those are biceps. You don't have much neurological gains in db curls. They aren't compound movements. You need big biceps to do big bicep curls. Just admit you were lying and move on. Or you're cheating on your form.

>How do you have such weak number after a year of SL?
I'm not the OP.

What am I supposed to do after a year if my numbers are still shit?

What are your current numbers?

>What am I supposed to do after a year if my numbers are still shit?

Deload, if you still can't progress switch routines.

Squat: 80kg*
Bench: 50kg
OHP: 40kg**
Deadlift: 100kg
Rows: 52.5kg

* Might be capable of more but I'm afraid of my knees getting rekt.
** Attempting

And this is after a year? Are you serious?

You didn't do SL. I did SL. And my numbers were like that in a month. Do the program.

Well I'm pretty short but you may be right. I took it easy way too often.

Is it better to attempt a heavier weight, fail deload etc. rather than just maintaining the same weight?

your weight? if you are not fat eat about 200 above your tdee and sleep at least 8 hours

I think you're being unfair, some people begin with no strength at all. That said, for one year these are low numbers.

Perhaps but inexcusable for one year. Do the program this time, from the beginning, don't go easy, do it three times a week. Always add weight and go all out. If you fail you fail. Do the program though.

Yeah you didn't actually do SL. It's linear progression because you are supposed to up the weight every time

>Is it better to attempt a heavier weight, fail deload etc. rather than just maintaining the same weight?

Obviously the point is to increase the weight. A simple rule of thumb is to stay at a weight till you can do 8 solid reps, then increase.

This, you won't see results until you lift

increasing weight should be your #1 priority. if you can't due to form do more volume at lower weight (but not too low) or do more sets/reps. somewhere around 70-80% of your previous working set should be fine and will also make you stronger.

if you can do squats with 80 kg for 5x5 then doing them for 5x6 will make you stronger. increasing the weight is not the only way to get stronger. just make sure you are progressing each working in some way.

>do it three times a week
I have done it three times a week for months solid now. I haven't missed a session in a long time.

But I have been guilty of "well I don't think I'll be able to do 52.5kg, I'll just do 50kg again". For weeks, I guess.

chin ups hit biceps hard, i would count them as bicep work

if you had also thrown in some curls, you would be even stronger and have bigger arms

he probably curls 30kg with shitty momentum form

also neurological gains aside, long bicep insertions are a huge mechanical advantage and guys that have those can curl loads of weight

Get some balls, and perhaps some microplates. Just don't get those mixed up and get microballs instead

I'm not OP.
I'm three weeks in to stronglifts, just started doing some isolation motions after the prescribed exercise. Basically stacking a brosplit on top of SL. Will that help?

point is, you're not supposed to fail adding weight while your numbers are that low. Gain some weight

>you're not supposed to fail adding weight while your numbers are that low.
I'm 5'8 (maybe a little smaller) with small wrists, how much more can I actually expect?

Yes, if you got energy to spend and you aren't missing reps on your main lifts, please add accessories.

BP days:
Incline DB Press
Chest flies
Barbell curls
Pull ups

OH press days:
Laterals, side and rear
Dumbell shrugs
Hammer Curls
Pull ups

That height is a non-factor. What is your weight? Pics?

You should get to 100kg on squat easily if you add weight (2.5 kg) every time from where you are now. Where you ultimately end up will depend on how much weight you're willing to gain, but 3pl8 should be doable for most people. There are some genetic freaks who get way higher on linear progression though

Right now I can curl a 30lbs(15 kg) db easily with my right biceps, but my left biceps gets worn out after a few curls and I can't curl at all with it afterwards unless I use my shoulder to build up momentum.

How do I train my left arm to catch up with my right?

>What is your weight?
I'm around 77KG so I've put on 7KG since I first weighed myself. And I'm getting flabby, I think.

I stopped moving up on squat to let other things catch up. I found that I can do 70kg 5x5 with minimum (1:30 rest) to cut the time down since I exercise during lunch.

I know I can comfortably squat heavier but I've already got a knee that clicks all the time.

Curl weight doesn't matter for a natty. You can curl 10kg if you focus on the pump and hit it for a lot of sets and reps and it'll do the trick.

Your weights decent. I thought you might be a full blown skelly. Who cares about flabby, what matters more is how you look clothed. That's your first impression on women and other men. You can get rid of your fat when you have muscles to show.

You have enough mass to add weight. Just keep eating big, plenty of protein (100g+ a day), plenty of water and plenty of sleep. Follow the program to a T. Also don't stop moving squats to let other things catch up. They will help all your other lifts, believe it or not.

Thanks, user. This is what I needed to hear. I was thinking about cutting and losing these pathetic gains.

Hitting 50KG on bench last week after pussying out on it for weeks made me feel like maybe I'll make it. I'll start trying on squats again.

Prioritizing other lifts over squats is not really a smart idea on a program like SL and SS that favors squats so heavily, their point is to make you strong by increasing your squat. The artificially short breaks are probably your biggest problem, you should rest as long as you need to complete your sets

>Prioritizing other lifts over squats is not really a smart idea on a program like SL and SS that favors squats so heavily, their point is to make you strong by increasing your squat.
You're probably right, and it should have been obvious to me given I squat three times a week and only do the other exercises once or twice.

>The artificially short breaks are probably your biggest problem, you should rest as long as you need to complete your sets
I rest properly on other exercises and 1:30's enough to do that weight for squats. But you're right, I should start doing them more heavily again.

>1:30's enough to do that weight for squats
Just telling you now, it won't be for long

This board is very toxic to newbies because they're constantly calling people fat left an right. Here's a protip:

The ones that say that, will never post a pic of themselves. Because either A) They're fatter. B) They're skellies.

As long as you don't look fat in clothes nobody gives a fuck user. Seriously. In fact, most women will prefer someone with extra meat on them then a skeleton looking ass mother fucker. Ignore the trolls on here and keep eating and lifting. Men will respect you more. Women will compliment your body. Family will say you look healthier.

what no its not lmao, 15kg for 10 is kinda easy

No, no, what I mean is I worked my way up to 80KG (which needed full rest) but I dropped it down to 70KG because I found I could do it with minimum rest. Anything higher and I take full rest.

Cool, thanks. I needed this advice because I've definitely put on body fat since starting and was just thinking about cutting but I'd rather keep progressing.
And yeah, I don't look fat in clothes so perhaps I'm worrying too early.

Thanks user.

Slightly above average for the general population not for people who lift. Pay attention.

Good man.

are you me? except im on month 2 of SL and my deadlift is slightly better

can confirm, my friends girlfriend refuses to date skellies

This is embarassing.
Are you a girl? Im being serious?
This is the type of person who will rant "hurr durr strength programs suck"

I was a skelly all the way up till about 20. I wish I would have learned earlier. So much high school pussy missed out because I was too skinny. I'm what this board would call fat but women love my body way more than they did. Women I've known since high school have said how much better I look now then I did in school.

>>Are you a girl? Im being serious?
No, but I'm pretty short.

Dude get your hormones checked im not even memeing. 50kg bench after 1 year of lifting is insanely ridiculously low. Im not kidding, go to a doctor and get a blood draw and get your test levels checked.

Well I do have myasthenia gravis. It's mostly in my eyes but might affect my arms.

>started lifting a month ago
>can barely db curl 7kg for 10 reps or so

Cant even bench a pl8 after a year lol

Yeah, I'm 3 months in and I curl 13kgs but I was already kinda strong before (did some pull ups sometimes). Don't believe the numbers these guys tell you.

Yeah, I know.

stop masturbating

i started from the bar on bench and i got to 50kg in less than 2 months

Congrats, user.

That's weird, I just started lifting yesterday, my starting squat and bench are exactly half of yours but I did 2x10 bar curls i.e. 20kg. Granted my form was getting iffy so I may stay on 20 next workout rather than upping it.

Wait, this is with the bar weight?

>Is having a weak curl normal?

>has a weak bench and squat

hmm

b8 bby?

You've only been doing it a month. Don't stress about it, keep going and you'll get there.

>when the gym is empty on chest day and you suddenly realize you have talked a lot of shit about Hillary on twitter

> mfw into SS for 1 1/2 month and can barbell curl 26kg for 8 reps

implying 30kg is heavy

ive been doing it for like 6month and i can do 15 for 10 with a bit of effort, dw i fall behind in bench and ohp while everything is well above avg. We are all genetically disadvantaged in some exercise be it weak calves, traps or bicpes

for curling with proper form, yes, it is.

>15kg for 10 is kinda easy

not with the strict form, I can bench 100kg easily and struggle with 10x14 kg strict curl. Sure I can do 20kg cheated but what's the point? And yes, my bics are quite strong compared to my bench.

>that webm

women are retarded.

I may be an outlier here but I could curl 110lb for 3x10 with clean form around the time I hit 225x1 on bench

>10x14
why

we're talking about one arm db curls retard

>195 ohp
>315 bench
>405 squat (high bar atg Olympic style)
>505 dl
>190 snatch
>250 clean and jerk
>30 curl
In lbs. Curls are for bro lifters.

I started with 60 x 10 first time i stepped in the gym.. i have t rex arms though

yes, obviously

so what?

my point was that a 14kg x10 DB curl is not normal for someone benching 100kg, it's pretty damn weak

Lot's of upper body volume is a good start. You shouldn't be doing "strength" programs.

>dyels comparing results after 1 month or so

why always this shit, wait at least half a year

I'm a girl and I currently curl 60lb how am I doing

>that fuckiung snatch form

is she a wavy inflatable tube man

being weak in an area is not something to pride yourself in

fix the weakness, train your biceps

If thats single arm db then you are lying or on roids

for db yeah, barbell that's nothing

It's hardcore to be weak nowadays. If you are going to act superior to the bros, at least be able to trash them at absolutely everything.

lol you think that's weak? I have 85kg bench 150kg deadlift and I only recently started curling 12.5kg DBs for 8 reps.

So you can curl a 110lb dumbbell for 10 reps with clean form? Ok you're going to have to post some proof because no one is going to believe that. I doubt even rich piano could do that. Are you bigger than him?

I can bench 90kg and squat 130kg on SS and I can barely curl (with dumbbell) 15kg for 5 reps.

I have even shittier squat at 70kg but bench is 65kg, rest are the same.

I also have been lifting for a year but I can't really jump with these increments my gym has.
>what do when your gym only has 2.5 kg plates?

You buy your own 1.25 ones and take them with you to the gym

you're completely retarded

he was drawing a comparison between curl strength and bench strength in general, not saying he curls 110lb db

nobody curls 110lb db

>I may be an outlier here but I could curl 110lb for 3x10 with clean form around the time I hit 225x1 on bench

Is he not literally saying that he could curl 110lb DBs right there?

no

ok I guess I am retarded then

>it's pretty normal if you completely neglected to train your biceps
>never train biceps
>easily strict curl 60kg barbell
>biceps still small
pic related. 55kg, 1 rep, but it's pretty old. I'm stronger now.

Same brah. Weighted pull ups for lyfe. I'm at 7x30kg right now
I'm this guy My back is really good, but biceps is laughable.