What was life like for the average member of the Roman empire? What did they eat, how did they pass the time...

What was life like for the average member of the Roman empire? What did they eat, how did they pass the time? What did the typical house look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/his/thread/3731671/#3731703
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Generally miserable

Most Romans were slaves

WHYAREYOUPOSTINGTHATTURANIANWHORE

>now that's one catamite I can get behind, if you know what I mean...

can i fug her?

I wanna put my 10 inch Celtic cock in that prime Mediterranean bitch.

the majority of the population were plebeian farmers

>TURANIAN

Veeky Forums can't into anthropology user.

They enjoyed a standard of sanitation unmatched until the industrial revolution; this involves public baths with steam being vented into rooms, sewers going under city streets, aqueducts providing public access to clean water for the cities, and all sorts of community events that would provide food and entertainment for even the lowest of plebs. The patricians enjoyed a lifestyle not unlike a 21st century one, with a varied diet taken from all over the known world, exotic markets flooding with goods from every corner of the empire and beyond, people of every type interacting under a universal language and every comfort and need you could imagine before the age of electricity. Any sort of entertainment you could ever want could be purchased, much like the internet if you had money, you got what you wanted.
The plebs lived much like bums and drifted from event to event looking for handouts. The concept of a “patron” comes from the idea of rich patricians basically funding people’s livelihoods and getting their services as a mob in return. Most people would quite literally be hired thugs that would come to their patron every morning for bread and wine and then do whatever it was the patrician needed that day. You could be a construction worker one day, voting for what the patrician wants in an election, providing protection against the opposing mob during public events, or just protecting their property or even killing or extorting others. Anything the patron wanted, the plebs did in exchange for bread and wine. Public life as a patrician required that you have a mob with you pretty much at all times, otherwise your rival’s mob could easily kill you and that would be that. Politics was a violent business and just being in the mob was your job for most people. Being a bum was accepted in Roman society and even normalized. Direct appeals to this mob from private citizens is what eventually brought the republic down.

So the same as italy now?

>*certain Roman cities within the empire* enjoyed a standard of sanitation unmatched until the industrial revolution....

ftfy

Well yeah I meant for the patricians sorry if I didn’t clarify. The plebs would still enjoy things that wouldn’t be normalized for public use until modern times, like bath houses, recreation centers, public aqueducts, and sewers. These things would be available to everyone.

imagine the worst streetshitting slum in india, and add regular famine, plague, and fires

She's literal perfection

women weren't that attractive back then

WOULD

You keep hopping from flat to flat because the Insulas keep on burning down.

Prove it faggot

Dark hair 2/10 not white.

>dark hair isn't white
>posts picture of hitler

desuarchive.org/his/thread/3731671/#3731703

>go on history board
>no nothing about subject
>post retarded drivel.

My daily routine

The ancient Romans have better sanitation than the current Indians.

>checkd
Thats cuz the ancient romans was black.

No they did not lmao

A substantially higher proportion of Indians have access to plumbing than ancient Romans did, and Roman toilets were as sanitary as the worst public bathrooms in the Dehli slums

This whole thread is pretty funny

ancient indians were more sanitary than modern indians too

Just

GAULED
A
U
L
E
D

>implying that romans didnt have gaulish/Briton slaves that licked the toilets clean with their tongues.

Since when is cuba part of turan?