Veeky Forums books

Post some Veeky Forums approved books

gonna buy a book tomorrow and I'm thinking about this one. Is it as good as people say it is?

and plz post fast, gotta go to bed for my 8h sleep

Yes, I think it's great

It's not really a sit down and read for a long time book
It's a collection of Marcus "Best Emperor" Aurelius' thoughts about stuff
Stuff like how he hated being Emperor and how he should deal with it

I read a couple pages before bed every now and then. It has given me some thoughts I'm able to reflect on when faced with certain situations, I don't regret reading it.

Get this version. The translation is supposed to be better.

Revolt Against the Modern World - Julius Evola

thanks for the feedback

probably gonna read it during the train trips to college

Loved meditations. Going to read Seneca next

Read this nigga

this bangs

Robert Green is a faggot and you know it master autist.

I just recently finished it. It's not too long, and it's well worth the read. It's kind of a must to be honest. I found it extremely motivational, especially the first bit when Marcu expresses his thanks to who he learned from, and why he admired them. It gives you a good view of why it's so important to be an actual good person, regardless of whether or not you're recognized for it, and regardless of whether or not there is a god. He refers to gods allot, but I believe his meaning by it is something different than what you might think. My big take away was, focus on being, not seeming. Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

BIg book recommend - The Six Pillars of Self Esteem. I'd put that above most any

I love this book. Full of lots of useful information.

The Crisis of the Modern World by Rene Guenon.

Also Plato/Aristotle major works are good reads if you care about justice and fairness.

Models
Art of War
Green Eggs and Ham
Mein Kampf
Art of the Deal

Proust - In Search Of Lost Time
James Joyce - Dubliners
Tolstoy - War And Peace

I recommend reading Epictetus before Meditations, those two books are like the virtuous disciplined father I never had.

Atlas Shrugged. Fantastic book that could very well change your life.

You would say epictetus is worth reading? After I finished meditations, I wasn't sure if epictetus would just be more of the same.

why do people hate Ayn Rand and this book?

Letters from a Stoic by Seneca taught me to stop giving a fuck about other peoples opinions. Stoic philosophy is the true red pill.

Powerful content in this one, lads.

Gates of Fire - I wish I could read this book for the first time again. What it is to be a man is contained within these pages.

Came here to post Mishima

>battle of thermopylae
>novel

would this happen to be a book that completely glorifies the spartans and infers that xerxes didn't crush them?

I feel like this would be an interesting read to get a new perspective of him, but the content should be taken with a grain of salt.
He was a social outcast raised by his psychopathic grandmother, and was borderline sociopathic himself. He then killed himself after being laughed at and mocked while trying to start a revolution.

This is neat, even if you just read it for the historical examples, as is 33 Strategies of War.

On another note, though. How does one start with the Greeks?

Probably something to do with the author being mentally ill, and having a childish level of simplicity in her writing.

Appreciate the thread man! Great idea, gonna make sure I autorefresh overnight.

Extreme Ownership - Applies more so to the LEADING tenants every good leader must follow, but the lessons taught in this book could EASILY apply to practically any part of your personal life

>he was a social outcast

Where do you think you are?

Have a good night boys - I'm out.

Stay smart. Stay fit. Execute.

I come from a time when Veeky Forums wasn't filled with the anal leakage of /r9k/ and /pol/.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be many of us left

You are still posting on a Mongolian basket-weaving imageboard.

Please stop projecting your insecurities. It's honestly quite embarrassing.

This one, OP. I have four translations and this one is best, especially for first time readers

I remember when that started in /g/, only people would come up with a new version every time they posted it.
Also it was ironic shitposting then

The way people are represented isn't accurate to real life. The way all of the main characters seem is just too far from reality.

reminder that Trump read this and lives by it

thanks lads

infinite jest it is then?

the spartans get gangraped to death by a billion persians, it's more about the life of the main character leading up to it.
it's bretty gud

Thanks user will check out. I saw it's on the commandant reading list too, cool.

Just didn't want to go into something that rapes history so spartans can have cool points

START WITH THE GREEKS.

Ayyyy

Basically any historical non fiction.

IJ is a great read tbqf

Personally, I enjoyed The Fountainhead much more than Atlas Shrugged.

The book of five rings. It'll turn you into a man

the audiobook is on youtube. I read it while hiking

10/10 book from GOAT emperor, i sleep with a copy right next to my pillow for maximum wisdom gains

But that book is like 80% tips on how to fight people that ambush you in your kitchen.

Not saying it's bad, I just get confused every time people recommend that shit, when out of 50 pages, 40 pages are about how he prefers the longsword over the glaive in indoor combat and that Buddhism is pretty great and therefore you should meditate on this.

not an argument to be found

thinking of reading Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment next. What do yall think?

If I could only ever recommend one book it would be thi.

t. edgelord

Have you read it?

Meditations was Aurelius just writing for himself, while Epictetus lectured to educate others, so in that sense some of his is more aimed at teaching you as a reader

Childish simplicity in writing is enough of an argument for me not wanting to read it. Then it is literature not worth your time. Everything from the prose, the plot and to the core ideas cannot possible be good enough with childish simplicity. Literature needs depth, understanding and to be overall well written

Great book, totally worth the read.
The only thing worth knowing beforehand, if you havent read much russian lit before, is that the names can be a bit confusing.
With the use of nicknames and how they all refer to eacher, the same character has different names.

OP, just make sure you're not that guy that reads only cringy, edgy "how to be alpha" books that get peddled around here every now and then. Stuff like The Way of Men or The Art of the Deal or whatever PUA shit is in vogue right now. Stick to the time-tested classics and you're guaranteed to find much better manly wisdom there.

The Fountainhead is better

I just read the first page 2 days ago.
It reflected everything I learned (and partly forgot) in the last years what a "better" person should be.

If the whole book is like the beginning 11/10.

came here to post this
genuinely changed my life. It had a very strange, specific effect on me when reading it. Like i'd come away from reading a chapter and feel like i'd just woken up, or like i'd been meditating.
Yukio Mishima is the Veeky Forumsest author

why does any of this matter?
read the book, he doesnt say "go and try to start a coup then kill yourself if it doesn't go well"

Delavier and Gundill

Sometimes the truth hurts. People would like to think the world works differently. Cognitive Dissonance is real!

Isn't mishima a fag?

Can confirm, go for Gregory Hay's translation

this made me feel like a man

Autist the book

Social pariah

This might be the official Veeky Forums reading list courtesy of:
Veeky Forums
/k/
/b/
/pol/
/pol/

>Quran
>Illiad
>Crime and Punishment

ayn rand fanboys are what's wrong with this world.

t. Shitskin