What books are you reading for brain gainz?

What books are you reading for brain gainz?

hardmode: no political philosophy or self help books or other brainlet material

Marcus Aurelius meditations is banned you faggots

Other urls found in this thread:

homotopytypetheory.org/book/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>no good books
lmao

currently reading the Sailor Who Fell Grace with the Sea, just finished The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

Most recently: Ayn Rand's Objectivist Epistemology, Art of War, Think like a Champion, the Art of the Deal, the Real Crash

Currently going through precalculus.

Will go back to university next year.

FUCK U HOMO

On Doctoring for easy reads at work and Lovecraft when I have more time.

>going through precalculus.

Said no brainlet material

Reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.
Enjoying it. I read the guy's sequel to this book first, and it was horrible, but this one is pretty good.

It's the first stop, not the last

> Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar

I just finished 1Q84. Murakami is great

Only read Norwegian Wood.

>What books are you reading for brain gainz?
>No philosophy or anything that actually helps the brain tho lol

So...you want to know what kind of literally TV-on-paper garbage a fitness forum reads?

Really good book
I'll definitely have to read it again when I'm older

Starship Troopers and Ender's Game are pretty Veeky Forums
They're about personal responsibility and improvement

Just finished Kafkas Metamorphosis and will start The Trial soon.

In December I also finished the 2000 pages of Les Misérables in French. Protip: skip any parts relating to 19th century Paris (especially the sewer description part), shortens time immensely. Hugo was literally autistic about the details.

>No self help books

Does reading books about alimentation still count ?

Rate my shelf

Malazan Book of the Fallen; on The Crippled God
Evolutionary Analysis
Barsk: Elephant Graveyard
the R handbook (not an actual book, just a series of .pdfs that teach me how to use R)

Capital Volume 1 - Karl Marx
On Acquisition of the Holy Spirit - St. Seraphim of Sarov

A bit of scripture here and there as well.

Currently doing pre algebra. Should have paid attention in high school. Oh well, I'm actually enjoying learning at my own pace.

lmao, are you an ironybro?

>Infinite Jest
Faggot

No.

I started reading Capital to better understand what it is Marxists actually believe in, not out of my own desires to partake in leftist theory.

>I started reading Capital to better understand what it is Marxists actually believe in
not even marxists read Capital, you're wasting your time

Currently reading "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King and about to get "The Stand" delivered in a few days.

I also have a bunch of Batman Comics which are fucking boss for brain gainz.

Killing Joke is about how close we all are to just snapping like a twig and turning into a psychotic like Joker

Dark Knight Returns is about how an ordinary person can achieve amazing things if their convictions are strong enough

Arkham Asylum shows us how we're all really living in an insane asylum, and that in our deepest thoughts we're all truly mad. Batman says to Commissioner Gordon "Batman isn't afraid of anything, but I am, I'm afraid that the Joker might be right about me, that when I walk through the doors of the asylum, it'll be just like coming home

Read some good Batman Comics guys, for them hard core brain gainz.

Proust was a neuroscientist is one of my favorite books.
The general thesis is that people throughout history have discovered unique actions of the mind by being masters of their fields, chefs unknowingly discovering amino acids, artists discovering how the eye works without having knowledge of the mind.

>Read some good Batman Comics guys, for them hard core brain gainz.
They're really not

The only good one is Killing Joke and it's been overdone now

I've only read No Longer Human out of those. It was pretty depressing.
But of course the loser protagonist I'm trying to relate to still slays puss, unlike me.

Rereading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy before that it was Necronomicon by Lovecraft. After I finish Blood Meridian I'll probably move onto that new Tom Clancy book that came out a little while ago.

If you want some hardcore shit, read HoTT. You can get it for free at homotopytypetheory.org/book/

If you don't know about constructivism, this will give you a whole new perspective about mathematics and logic. Who knows, maybe you'll even start to reject classical mathematics.

I'll admit that I keep picking it up and giving up, as it's a bit too heavy for me, but you should at least read the introduction.

A lot of them "read Capital" but it seems that barely any of them comprehend it (not surprising, Marx is a convoluted fuck) or read past the first chapter.

It's rather advantageous with that in mind seeing as you can then run circles around them with things they believe in yet know little about.

>hardmode: no political philosophy or self help books or other brainlet material
I'm reading The Prince, that's more history than anything else.

Sounds like you're dedicating a lot of time to running circles around someone in a hypothetical argument

Actually I support his views because reading these threads is such often painful due to the high levels of pretentiousness and rock climbing/hiking that usually goes on.

I'm another strong hater of Meditations by M Aurelius due to this forum... luckily I read it before it became a meme.

>no political philosophy

that's all philosophy you fuck, that just leaves history books.

I think you just described philosophy

lately mostly sales/marketing entry level stuff, spin sales by neil rackman and cold calling techniques by steve schiffman
I actually spend more time on courser than reading, seems more practical
also just finished facebuilder lol, next is another attempt at mantak chia

for more popular stuff (such as 90% of books mentioned here) I can recommend sex at dawn (nevermind the title) and moonwalking with Einstein (has nothing to do with Einstein)
bretty interesting, entertaining and well written

>self-help books are good
found the brainlet

Anything about memory? I'm having trouble finding good books on the subject and how to maintain it in healthy condition.
>grandfather has full on alhzimers
>scared it's going to affect me along the line in my life

I'm already having trouble with visuallization memory. Pls send help

Just read a lot, intellectually demanding activities prevent alzheimer's and dementia

Also Omega 3 fatty acids

Political philosophy =/= all philosophy

If someone is working through Quine or Searle, good for them, but politics are for brainlets.

already mentioned
moonwalking with Einstein
not gonna help you with alhzimer though

Is it really that simple? Engage myself in activities that are challenging?
I need omega 3. Haven't had a source of that in a very long time. Thanks for the reminder user.

That book by Mishima was one of the most wierd books I've read to be honest.

How long have you gotten into it?

A shitty book for pseudo intellectuals. Enjoy the well researched historic parts and cringe at the rest

I dont read very often but I enjoy Photography as a hobby and I spend a lot of time on /p/ shitpostin- er critiquing the works there.

It's a nice pleasant hobby.

Just finished 'I Am Legend.' Was bretty gud. Currently half way through Moby Dick.

Politics is literally the endgame of humanity and not being aware of the politics in your own society makes you less than a sheep.

Philosophy IS politics in a way, and the part of philosophy that has no application to politics is just mental masturbation.

Read "The girl on the train" recently.

Mostly infuriating, illogical and messy but had a few interesting parts. Terrible, obvious ending. Would recommend to liberals/girls tho

Political literacy is important but it's just not that interesting.

>Philosophy IS politics in a way, and the part of philosophy that has no application to politics is just mental masturbation.
This is what people who want to defund the NSF say about research they don't understand.

I read the Economist, but its hard to keep up with the issues. Even skipping the sections and things I'm not interested in still makes it very difficult to be ready when a new issue drops.
I've also stopped talking politics with my friends, but for some reason the only people I know are stereotypical SJWs and stereotypical /pol/tards.

Couldn't sit through the movie, turned it off after about 30 minutes kek

"Free to choose"

>no marcus aurelius

Epictetus Discourses then

What're the worst parts of it? I didn't like the sequel because a lot of it just seemed like throwing around tech buzzwords to validate his doom-predictions. This books seems interesting but I'm only half way through.

The Idiot by Dostomemesky

150 pages in and it's just now starting to get interesting

If the book was this bad I cant imagine what cancer the movie must have been

Last chapter is exactly what you described the sequel like

Currently reading "Infantry attacks" by rommel because im about to put my live on the line to secure the future of the state israel who is our greatest ally

Christ, gross

Joyce, repeatedly

Atlas Shrugged for those John Galt gains

>Pynchon, Wallace, and Gaddis

My boy.

What was Two Dogmas of Empiricism?

Currently reading Art of the Deal for the third time

Can't wait till I get my copy of Dangerous

Who is John Galt?

>I read the Economist, but its hard to keep up with the issues. Even skipping the sections and things I'm not interested in still makes it very difficult to be ready when a new issue drops.
The Economist is best known for literally sending people to sleep.

what do you guys prefer physical or electronic books?

and can someone help me, i got some books that i'm interested to read but can't, i like them but read like 3 min and just give up.

I read Crime & Punishment and am currently reading The Brothers Karamazov, they all seem to start slow but get really good

Lots of non political philosophy has had incredibly useful applications in mathematics, compsci and even areas of law. You make a ridiculous claim. Was proof theory just mental masturbation?

sup bro do u think portrait is better than ulysseys

Just picked these up from the library today
>Iliad
>Yukio Mishima "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion"
>Johan Huizinga "Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture"
>Joseph Campbell "The Hero With a Thousand Faces"

Also been slowly going through Malazan for a while now.
>lmaogenrefiction

Also, Borges is pretty based.

Grendel - John Gardner

my GF bought me 1Q84 for valentines day. I read colorless tsukuru tazaki and Norwegian Wood. 1Q84 is a pretty big book. What did you think of it? Some say it was a waste of time

Aright, cool. The technodestruction of society meme is dumb, but the rest of it seems cool.

Just picked up The Dinner by Herman Koch and the first volume of My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard yesterday. About halfway through the dinner, will start My Struggle once I finish that

I talked shit on things like audible for the longest time because I didn't really consider it as the same level as actually reading but after trying out a few books it's honestly not that bad it's great for falling asleep to, cooking, or lifting and you're not in the mood for music.

However I've noticed the enjoyment of audio books is highly dependent on the narrator even some of the best books out there are ruined by shit narrators.

I refuse to touch E-Books though. Fuck that just use an actual book.

bought antifragile recently, haven't found the mindset to get through it yet though.

Shelflet!

Lanark by Alasdair Gray
I also genuinely enjoy "infinite jest" and have recently reread it for the 3rd time

I used to read a lot of novels back in the days and my English was on point but now that I only read math textbooks for college my English has gone down the drain. Math gainz but now an English dyel

It'll come back down on you. The Idiot was the least interesting of his works.
I mean, it's still worth finishing, I'm just saying.

Amazing book. Friedman is a legend, an actual genius.

learning math cannot possibly be considered brainlet. Enjoy being out-paced by 8th graders

Favorite book?

Who /Les Miserables/ here? Literally changed my outlook on life, and the way I view strangers. Also Jean Valjean was fit as fuck

Just finished Lolita, on to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

Just finished
The Later Roman Empire - Amianus Marcellinus

I mostly read it because I wanted to read about the Emperor Julian. I had read Gore Vidal's Julian prior to it.

Prior to that
First Love - Turgenev

Currently reading H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'brian.
I don't know why I picked this book up, I must of bought it by accident when I was trying to get a Horatio Hornblower book.

Just got done reading "The setting sun". I don't recommend it at all. "No longer human" by the same author is god-tier though, if post-ww2 japanese litterature interest anyone.

I got The divine comedy that I should get into but I'm working out my army application papers.

Currently reading pic related. Almost finished with it. Probably my favorite book in the historical-fiction genre. Shit, it's probably my favorite book in every genre.

Also, read a lot of technical books.

> Engineering Secure Software and Systems
> Programming in C
> JavaScript for Professional Devs
etc

Forgot pic. Fuck it.

The book is I, Claudius by Robert Graves

Also enjoyed his Greek Myths

He also did Count Belisarius
If you want byzantine empire stuff, it's apparently interesting

>JavaScript for Professional Devs
>JavaScript

not op here but 1Q84 is pretty good. if you like murakami's other stuff it's basically more of the same with more of a sci fi / fantasy angle

I just go to the medicinal section in the library and look for books on psychiatry. I can't come up with anything more usefull than understanding how the brain functions and learning to manipulate it. Both for your own sake and to take shortcut's when socializing. Also easier to avoid negative thought habits that lead to depression and paranoia.

Ba$h all you want, but that JS salary is looking phenomenal.

I enjoy his work so I'll definitely read it. Thanks, user.

and fucking small boys

>skip details
why are you "reading" kafka and hugo without the details? if youre going to be a faggot, stick to hemingway so you dont have to learn any big words or complicated sentence structure