What was your first day at the gym like?

What was your first day at the gym like?

I literally live down the street from an internationally recognized competition venue that has a gym, and national and international events take place there on the reg. I wanna take advantage of this great blessing and the sticky has been helpful, but I wanna know what I don't know (in terms of what to wear, how to act, how to ask for help, and just not make an ass of myself)

Everything is self-explanatory, provided you're not autsitic. The only gym-etiquette you must know is the "point at the machine you want and make a puzzled face" to insinuate that you want that equipment but don't know if the people around it are using it.

Also, re rack weights (put the weights back on the racks) when you're done, and clean the shit you use.

>What was your first day at the gym like?

I asked the dude working the desk to set me up with a basic "I don't know shit" routine

Two weeks later I asked him what I could switch to stop doing bodyweight exercises

Three weeks later I asked him to show me a proper squat bench and deadlift form.

Honestly nobody will care about you(in a good way) and nobody will even look at you unless you fulfill one or more of the conditions:

* You are a hot chick

* You are an Olympic level performer or just currently the biggest dude in the gym

* You are doing something exquisitely dangerous and stupid with horribly bad form which will net you an injury and a gym a lawsuit.

>The only gym-etiquette you must know is the "point at the machine you want and make a puzzled face" to insinuate that you want that equipment but don't know if the people around it are using it.

kek

>The only gym-etiquette you must know is the "point at the machine you want and make a puzzled face" to insinuate that you want that equipment but don't know if the people around it are using it.

Don't wear basketball shorts

I was sick of being treated as though I didn't exist.

My very first day was pretty much an hour of the treadmil (even tho I was borderline anorexic). I probably didn't use any equipment correctly for the first 2 years and didn't even wipe down machines (though I didn't really sweat)

Why not?

W-what do I wear, then?

Wear jeans and a hoodie.
You'll be the coolest guy there.

>pick up a routine
>go to gym
>lift

Ignore it it's just a retarded Veeky Forums meme

a few friends took me to the gym a few months before I was about to turn 16. I couldn't bench the bar for 10 reps

just wear shit you would normally wear if you were playing sports outside or exercising

My absolute first day was a fucking shitshow and I must have looked like a complete retard. I didn't return to a gym for like a year and a half after that.

Do your research on form etc, follow a program and don't reach for big boy plates right away.

I didn't go to a gym until uni. When I was in high school I didn't really care too much and just had some dumbells and one of those 4 in 1 machines my dad bought. you know what I am talking about. the ones with like 2 seats and they have 1 arm and leg exercise on each seat.

If your gym has that set up, expect the people to be pretty cool, I've noticed more advanced lifters are generally bro-tier. Just wear comfy shorts, flat soled shoes, and any tshirt you feel like. There is no guide on how to act, just do your workout. Before I start on a lift I'll casually look around to see if anyone is using it, if someone is standing right by it and is staring off into space, breathing heavy, chances might be he's resting and waiting to use it again. Just get to work, and if anyone asks to use it, say "I have a couple of sets left, want to work in with me?" This will let them know you want to meet them in the locker room for anal play.

I'm always having to actually ask people if they are done because no one at my goddamn gym ever re-racks their weights. Fuck them so hard.

Also my first day at the gym someone had to help me out of the bench press. I was so embarrassed. Luckily they were super nice about it. Goddamn that was awful.

Ran/walked on the treadmill for like 20 mins. Moved on to my first free weight experience. I did dumbbell curls (shit form I'm sure) with a pair of 25lbs dumbells. Stopped at like 60 reps because "I'm not trying to over do it". Wake up next day and my biceps are on fire and I can't fully extend elbows without excruciating pain for the next days. I overdid the fuck out of it.

What was your first day on the 'ch0n like?

What was your first day on Veeky Forums like?

First day.

Someone left 2 or 3 plate on the bar in the squat rack. I was a total boobs and starting stronglifts.

I didn't think to evenly reload.

Catapulted the bar and plates. Loud bsng. Whole gym stopped and stared. Staff came to see wtf happened. I was embarrassed, but I picked everything up and continued my workout