Hey Veeky Forums i'm going to the gym for the first time

Hey Veeky Forums i'm going to the gym for the first time
I already read the sticky
My question is Does SL works for beginners? How long should I doin it to have gains and change to a different routine?

Keep doing it until your lifts start plateauing, it's a strength programme so don't expect to get totally shredded. But it will build a good foundation to build the rest from.

Add pullups to deadlift day and dips to bent over row day

What's a good stretch routine to accompany any given day of 5x5?

Stronglifts is a beginner routine, even if you've never lift weights before that's okay. Download the app and follow the instructions its super helpful and also has a timer between sets. Most people on Veeky Forums say you should be on it for up to 3 months but I disagree, I think as long as you're making linear gains on it you're fine. Once you can bench 2pl8, and squat 2.5 - 3 pl8 you're good to switch to either PPL or PHUL which are more intermediate programs. You're not going to get huge and muscular off of it, but once your lifts are up there you can switch to PPL and make some real gains. What is your current physique like?

I'm a skinny-fat
In other words i'm a skelly with a big belly

Do you care much about your appearance much? What's your height/weight?

Not really, i want muscle
I'm 5'5 and 60 Kg

>That feel when mantlet

If you don't give a shit about your appearance, then just straight bulk brother. Find out your base metabolic rate, add a 500 calorie surplus. You're going to gain strength at a fast rate if you follow diet, diet and discipline are 2 of the most important things.

So it's good if i split the two workouts like this?
Workout A
Cardio
Workout B
Cardio
Workout A
Etc.
And before every workout run 1 Km before and after the workout

3 months? What the fuck? I'm almost at 3 months and I can't bench anywhere near that.

When you say bench 2pl8 and squat 3 do you mean for reps or 1rm

If you don't care about your appearance OP you should stay away from cardio and focus on your lifts. What do you want exactly?

Like I said, some people here say 3 months, personally I think as long as you're making gains. You're not behind in my opinion.

I haven't made gains in like a month and it's killing me because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It's like I've plateaued. I'm not even remotely strong.

A pl8 means 45lbs or 20 kg on either side. So 2 pl8 bench meaning 2 pl8s and the bar, 225lbs 5 reps 5 times. Don't be intimidated you're going to be starting out really light and working towards that over the next months coming up. Just try to enjoy yourself, and enjoy lifting.

What are your lifts, diet, height and weight like?

180lbs
Bench 115 5x5
DL 145 5x5
can't squat cause back but leg press is like 260
can bicep curl only like 15/20lbs for 3x10
it's difficult to keep track of diet cause I'm a student and food here is inconsistent but I've been trying to eat a whole lot more recently

There is no way you're going to hit 2 pl8 bench and 3 pl8 squats in 3 months if you're starting from scratch

That is pathetic. You must have the shittest genetics and hormones on earth

How many lifts need to be plateauing before i can progress to the next program?

Do you use the app at all? It's really good actually. You're not supposed to do 5 sets of deadlift, only 1. Since you're not able to squat Id recommend doing some core exercises that you're lacking probably. How long have you been lifting M8? Do you track your calorie intake? You should probably be eating around 2.5kcal if you're bulking.

Like I said I disagree but a lot of others think you should be able to.

Hey man c'mon play nice.

l

Ideally you stretch every day. Twice a day if you have time.

Just make sure you get the hips stretched from the front, back, interior and exterior sides (also learn the medical terms for these sides, it will help). So that can be something like lunges, touching your toes, putting your leg perpendicular to your straight body while on the floor, then slowly rolling onto it (glutes), and a butterfly stretch.

Throw in some shoulder stuff like doorframe stretches or shoulder dislocations (broomstick needed) for your pecs/delts if you're sore or tight there.

I find some minor back stretches help but my lumbar is weak.

Keep doing, learning, reading, asking, modifying, then doing again to practice. Same as lifting.

agreed - took me 6 months given a fit history

I started lifting around october but it's been really inconsistent. I think my big problem is that I'm probably not eating enough. Even though I push myself with things like curls/bench, I don't see improvement. Calorie tracking seems difficult cause a lot of my food is from the cafeteria, but I'll try harder. Which app are you talking about?

Stronglifts 5x5 app for the actual workout
MyFitnessPal for tracking what you eat.

Why would you be mean to someone looking for help? With all the liars on this board this is pretty refreshing.

Can't do SL without squat. If it doesn't include squats then it's not SL.

You're falling for a meme, enjoy the absolutely zero aesthetic gains

you sound like you could really use a pt session with someone to review the mechanics of your lift

back problems? bring them up with the pt, see if you can adjust your form somehow to make it work. ideally you really do squat though, squats are godlike