Do we still have /chess/ threads on Veeky Forums? Haven't seen one in a while

Do we still have /chess/ threads on Veeky Forums? Haven't seen one in a while.

Mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness you know!

Other urls found in this thread:

lichess.org/t5QmWwIl
lichess.org/aPwyc6FZ
lichess.org/detWn9Yu
lichess.org/zhE7qvnk
lichess.org/IdgWkCA6
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw to dumb too understand chess or real strategy games

Literally just read a couple of books on it

Damn, that used to be my MSN avatar for years

>not enjoying the patrician's genre of videogames

You'll get there some day user

Not really.

Everyone cheats in online chess and it's not like you're smart for playing it or something, it's basically memorization. You don' even get banned for it online.

I literally cheated to 2450 blitz rating on lichess to prove a point, and it took like a thousand games to get banned.

bump

lichess.org/t5QmWwIl

3 + 0
who's down?

gg user!

Who here /cheats at chess/?

Lmfao i'm gonna get to top 50

Getting good at chess really does not mean you getting smarter.

t. brainlet coper

nice try fag

How does one even cheat at chess?

use chess engine

im cheating to top 50 LOL

i hate when i play like 30min game against someone and they time out like wtf i spent so much time into that game and didnt even get to mate them. fkn bs. especially if close game.

lol. i cheated my way to the daily blitz tournament 1st place and got banned on lichess shortyly after. its funny tho because i only cheated in like 2 of the 9 games i played and that was just to get to the top 50 spot

timing them out means you completely bested their stamina and they are retarded

lol dude i literally cheated to 2400 and 2200. took forever to get banned, I even won the top 50 Marathon trophy.

dumb ass normies lmfao

NORMIES ON SUICIDE WATCH

how does playing chess give you brain gains.

nigga just go study a fucking science or something

hurr durr naw my half-hearted 1-2 times a week chess games are a substitute for actual critical thought & learning.

BRaIngaInz

hehe all of you cheaters should know that by protecting YOUR ego I can protect MY ego by blaming my losses on cheats

nigger i play chess for 4+ hours a day. shut the fuck up

sweet waste of time you dunce, you're basically bragging about playing a game for 4 hours a day.

cool dude, on weekends I play computer games does that mean I'm getting b Ra IA nNn g a I nZNn

No better than gaymers on computers

I know... I stopped playing videogames and I replaced my addiction to WoW with an only slightly milder addiction to chess.

Help me...

uhh yeah go to uni, get a job, move out of your parents house, lay a foundation from which to launch the rest of your life, become a man.

or keep bragging about how playin chess 4 hours a day gives you a superior intellect.

I'm an unemployed NEET highschool dropout.

I think my hope's just about run out.

i dunno suicide is always an option, or you could start from step 1 and work your way out of the hole.

or hey just load up a game of chess man.

I used to cope by playing videogames, it was where I felt most comfortable. League of Legends, WoW. My two favoritest games.

Then I stopped and got attached to chess. Now I just play chess and post on Veeky Forums, when I had originally stopped playing videogaymes to fix my life.

chess is a tremendous waste of time. takes serious effort and investment to get decent, and you'll never be among the best unless you started playing as a kid

By that logic everything is a waste of time. And no it doesn't take "serious effort", you get to a reasonable level within 2-3 years if you actually regularly practiced.

if you don't enjoy it then yes it's a waste of time

Shit that never happened:The post

Not him but I cheated to top 50 in the Winter marathon tourney.

Literally gained like 400 rating off of it. I think that was what led to me getting banned kek

>"serious effort", you get to a reasonable level within 2-3 years if you actually regularly practiced.
that is serious effort, retard, what's the point of putting so much time into a game?

>what's the point of putting so much time into a game?

Because you enjoy it? What kind of question is that? What's the point of posting on Veeky Forums? Or watching tv/films? What's the point of doing anything that doesn't either earn you money or build muscle?

>This is serious effort
No, not really. An hour or two every so often adds up over years if it's actually quality time.

>not playing the superior mental exercise game

Seriously guys, Go is the only true mental activity worth playing.

looks like some chinese bullshit

>found the brainlet

hows having a double digit IQ working out for you?

8 ║
7 ║
6 ║… … … … … … … …
5 ║… … … … … … … …
4 ║… … … … … … … …
3 ║… … … … … … …
2 ║
1 ║ …
—╚═══════════════
——a b c d e f g h

>tfw been playing off an on since you were 5 years old, and you recently decided to get back into it with the assistance of based mato but u cant even break 1500
how do i get good?

lol

Think I'm a 1000 player. What can i read to get a bit better? I don't want to be great, just good enough to beat family and friends, so don't give me some autistic chess theory book.

> playing board games mean you must have a high IQ

haha

>I don't want to be great, just good enough to beat family and friends

1000 should be enough. Literally just learn the basics of chess and you'll beat any old normie

I hate turn based games. I just do not have the patience most of the time. I rather play any kind of real time thing.

fuck off nerd

saved lmao

It's been shown in several studies that playing Go increases memory and pattern recognition, and also leads to a decreased risk of Alzheimers disease.

uh yeah lots of games do that

the main component of fluid intelligence is short-term memory; i.e. the ability to hold multiple variables in your head at one time

any 'game' that exercises that skill is technically 'improving your IQ' as fluid intelligence is half the equation for total IQ.

also any 'game' that does that is also invariably linked to 'alzheimers reduction'.

so what I'm saying is your choice in 'game' is completely arbitrary and irrelevant, it only demonstrates how much of a fuckin hipster you're trying to be by referencing 'go' as your game of choice.

cool man, i also enjoyed a beautiful mind.

stupified, mortified, petrified.

yeah... but go has a game tree complexity four times that of chess

judging from how you talk you've never actually played go

cool

that's irrelevant, please re-read my post.

so much for shit talking other people's IQ while you're incapable of following a simple line of thought, ya fuckin dunce.

>that first move of the day

lol be more mad you don't play the greatest board game ever created

right.

too many brainlets ITT

>tfw too much of a fag to actually play games against other players
>just play the computer at 1500-1600

I was gonna post >pic related but you fucking win

Stop being an egoistic cunt and beat Naka first...

what's the point of earning money? what's the point of building muscle?

I'd say the average normie is between 400 and 900 just off the bat, depending on their focus, knowledge of the game, and experience with abstract games in general. If you're 1000 rated and play online you'll beat most normies, but you won't beat them every time.

I'd say 1200 is a solid base line where, if you concentrate and don't hang a piece or something, you'll beat all of your family and friends every single time.

To get to 1200 I recommend: (source, am rated 1960)

>play longer time control games (15 minutes per side minimum) and make it a goal to USE UP ALMOST ALL OF YOUR TIME EVERY GAME

>read at least one beginner centred chess book; I personally read Chess for Dummies when I was around 1000 rated and I got to 1150 or so just off of applying the concepts from that.

>tactics puzzles are the best way to improve at almost any rating, and familiarizing yourself with common tactical patterns is pretty essential

Godspeed user

Also lets have a fuckin gayme fit

lichess.org/aPwyc6FZ

>2017
>Not cheating at chess

>tfw broke 2000 on tactics training rating
Now to try and actually apply it irl games

i did too but i cheated lol

I didn't cheat and I don't feel dead inside as a result :^)

but i feel good inside

lichess.org/detWn9Yu
5 minute game with 5 second increments

someone wanna 1v1? post link

just came from the gym, fight me brah:

lichess.org/zhE7qvnk

C'mon anons i'm waiting

Not gonna go full tryhard, i'm not even good at chess, let's have a casual game.

lichess.org/IdgWkCA6
lets go boys

man i screwed that up, ill blame not being able to see the top row for half the game but i know it was my skill

I like chess but whenever I start getting serious. I feel like it's just taking time away from programming

What's the difference between lichess and chess.com? I've been playing 5 minute blitz on chess.com for a while now and just broke 1600, but don't know any theory or openings. Should I switch to lichess?

Lichess has a better platform, better players and is totally free