I've been lifting for a year and I can only squat 285 what the fuck do I do?

I've been lifting for a year and I can only squat 285 what the fuck do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/15386-zach-update.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7TB0PpIGcX0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's pretty good

You should continue training and getting stronger

but i was told that its bad progress and most people here get to 315 in like 6 months

chug that zippy water boy

Most people on here are lying, or are morbidly obese.

Ever noticed how everyone here claims to have gotten really strong in a small amount of time (squatting 315lbs, deadlifting 405+, benching 200lbs+) with full ROM?

And noticed how many people at your gym actually lift those numbers?

who cares?

are you still making progress? if so then keep at it and use the haters as motivation to keep progressing

we're all gonna make it breh

it depends where you're starting from.

If you're already around 200 lbs or more at a decent height you have the resources/recovery materials (extra calories stored as fat) required to add strength and with intelligent programming will not really have to worry too much about the diet, and a 315 squat will be easily achievable within that time period. On the other hand, if you're starting at 130 lbs then reaching that 315 squat will be a lot harder and will probably require atleast 2-3 years of force feeding and brutal training.

This is assuming average genetics and non-asian.

>people on Veeky Forums estat
shocking
you're making decent progress, keep it up m8

This is a community of shut ins who only drink milk and squat. Your typical gym goer doesn't have the arcane dark secrets that we do. I got my roommate to a 275x5 squat in 2 months. If you've got someone who knows what they're doing and lots of food, you can get strong quick.

Although I agree that most of Veeky Forums is delusional, I think most guys at a regular gym are weak because they follow a shit program. How many people actually know about strength training? Versus how many people do amrap?

shut the fuck up you liar

Still though.

you go on Veeky Forums and start seeing that EVERYONE is deadlifting 600 pounds in 2 years of training, benching over 315 for reps. Where are these people training?

They're all in their home gyms right? how convenient. their cameras are usually broken too to post current body pictures

>not amrap-ing your top set

I mean it depends on your program but as long as you don't exceed your MRV and go to technical (vs muscular) failure there's literally no reason not to.

I am surprised by the replies to your post here

5'6 73kg supermanlet here, I am sort of fat you could say, at about 18-20% bodyfat I guess for my height that's a good chunk
started out at about 15% bodyfat

I've reached and stopped at 140kg (315lbs or 3pl8) lowbar squat after 5 months on SS, linear progression @2.5kg increments every workout except for a single deload of 10% at 125kg, but it's only gone up from there

been eating like a madman for those 5 months, had small but nutritious meals in the morning/evening (peanut butter, oats, flax seeds) and really large meals mid-day (big plate of chicken, veggies, brown rice and/or whole wheat pasta, occasionally homemade burgers with 1kg of ground beef or homemade tuna pizza)

rests between sets got longer and longer during progression, I rest up to 8 minutes now between worksets
I don't do any other leg/back work besides deadlifts

now that that's out of the way:
given you do what Starting Strength tells you to do (which is what I did)
how can you NOT reach 3pl8 squat in at least 5-8 months?

you've made a mistake and don't let DYELs here lull you into feeling good about it
look over what you're doing, analyze it, think about it and come up with the solution to your problem on your own

what is it that you're doing/not doing that won't let you progress?

>3x5 Zippy Water sips
>3x5 Jadakiss tracks
>1x5 vomit in mouths

Ha! you guys are pathetic! I got 4Pl8 squat in about 6 months even though i have 3 inch ROM it still counts! just like you guys!

it's inadvertently funny when you're trying to be ironic but don't actually squat significant weight yourself

>projecting this hard

i doubt you go past parallel though. if you do, post pics

>8 minute rest times

>non-asian genetics
are asians shit or good?

Sh..shut up! my 235lb ATEEGEEE squat > 315 quarter squat

Thank you user, this will be a fine addition to my collection.

>3pl8
>hard to achieve

loleing my as of!

Top kek.

It took me exactly one year, and for 3 of those months I was on a 1000kcal deficit - made very slow progress and for another 3 it was 1500kcal while not lifting - lost 25% of my gains.

uhh user when people refer to 1/2/3/4 they usually mean for reps not 1 rep maxes.

Yea, considering this is 190 i could easily do 140 for 10

That is retarded, strength standards are 1RM unless stated otherwise.

"1/2/3/4" is different from "1/2/3/4 for reps"
when someone says "I bench 350" you assume it means "for 1"
when you look up strength stats in books they're almost always 1RM.

Wow, good job on that guy for finally reaching a bodyweight squat.

1/2/3/4 has nothing to do with reps. I'm not sure why people find this so confusing. Once I actually had a guy tell me you can only count "1/2/3/4" if you can do those weights 5x5. Full retard.

You hit 1/2/3/4 when you can lift 1/2/3/4.

Nice troll xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

>tfw lifting for a year and a half and squat/dead are shit

3RM: 145/235/255/285. 165 BW.

My linear gains fro squat/dead crapped out at like 215/255 but I stuck with the program since there are all these people talking about hitting 315/405 linear. I literally stalled at those numbers for like 7 months.

>Just another deload and it'll be fine

Now that I've changed programs I'm actually progressing.

>He fell for the Starting Strength is a meme meme

>been lifting for 2 1/2 to 3 years
>only just hit 4pl8s for 1 on deadlift
>knee is fucked
>most ive ever squatted is 120kg for 5
>can pause bench 110kg for 4
>can ohp 72.5kg for 5

Why is my lower body such garbage? I squat every session but it just seems so much harder to progress compared to my other lifts. My legs are long as fuck but ive seen lifters with long legs dominate the squat.

This. Also for most people 5X5 load is 80% so just multiply by 1.2 to convert.

>load is 80% so just multiply by 1.2 to convert.

That's not how math works

83.33%, my mistake

>8 minute rest times
So you're not doing SS then.

whats the ss rest time then?

>lowbar
i reached 155 high bar atg in the same time fag and im taller and same weight

not 8 minutes.

generally 3 minutes. 5 minutes tops

8 minute rests times on a 3x5 is like doing 1x5 three times a day.

don't get me wrong, 5 3 pl8 full rom squats is good, but it's not ss

guys how long until you get 4 plate?

about 3 months

how long does it take to get there from 3 plate?

how long lifting and bw?

did you do SS and then TM in a continous bulk? if so you should be able to squat at least 405 in one year, without exceptions (there's one: you are a 55kg little woman)

thenk you MUST follow a decent strengh program and eat

this is unaplogetically wrong compared to what ripp says in the fucking book, he says too go to 7-8 minite rest times if you cant progress to ride out tour linear increases as long as possible. after 3 minutea about 80% of your atp os restored 90% in 5 and 95% after 7-8 minutes. Atleast read the book if you want to pretend to be a strength coach on the internet.

bullshite

rip specifically advocates resting longer the more you lift up to 15 minutes

watch his starting strength seminar Q&A he says exactly this

Dont listen to the vast majority of what people say here about progress. People BS and make shit up and say shit like a 3 plate deadlift is a total noob number, but unless you have a solid base strength it will still take time to get up there. Progress happens at different speeds for different people, if you're following a legit program, focusing on your form and still making progress and enjoy how you're lifting then don't worry at all about how someone else says they're doing or how your numbers looks. Just. Fucking. Lift.

I go slightly below parallel just before hamstrings slack

you'll just have to believe me on my word I guess, I don't have pictures of my squat, but I've been completely open about my info in the post you replied to (even my height) so I hope that's worth something
probably not much

lbs or kg?
if kg then that's pretty impressive I'd say, good job

but I have no idea why you felt the need to tell me

it really isn't hard at all
all it takes is 6 months, that's a ridiculously short amount of time for the amount of strength you'll put on, 6 further months will not even get you close to that amount

which is the reason why I'm confused so few people actually squat 3pl8

>tfw it took me a bit under 2 years to front squat 295 lbs.

Feels bad guys...

>And noticed how many people at your gym actually lift those numbers?

Depends where you lift. If I go to the gym at 7-8pm, there's a group of regulars who regularly deadlift 4+plates and bench 250-300 for reps. There's 2 massive dudes who bench over 405.

If I go during the day, I'm usually the only person doing 2+ plates on squats or deadlift, unless it's a uni-break and all the kids are home from school.

90% of people who claim such phenomenal progress are either lying or jumped on roids first thing. Nothing wrong with roids, but people tend to lie about doing them. It doesn't help that so many are willing to either go along with it, or just don't know enough about fitness to understand what's truly possible for most people.

I've seen people in a fitness group on Facebook claim to lose 100lbs of fat and gain 25lbs of muscle in a six month peroid, and nobody calls them out.

1 day

Don't forget the people who don't count their first two years of "messing around" because they weren't "lifting seriously" then.

>Listening to Veeky Forums's e-statting

Wow, despite looking dyel for Veeky Forums standards, I actually may be legitimitely stronger than most of the faggots here.

Thats because they are fucking lying user

like 2.5 years, 260ish bw

> More advanced trainees need more time, perhaps 5 minutes, between the last warm-ups and the work sets. If they're doing sets across, very strong lifters may need 10 minutes or more between work sets.

I've heard Rip cite

>3 pl8 is a very strong lifter

I still don't know if I'm doing good so far or not.
4 months in:

>ohp 47.5kg x5
>bench 67.5 x5
>squat 92 x5
>dl 127 x5

These are my PR's and now I'm even worse cause I was sick a week ago.

It is possible to squat 3pl8 in 6 months, assuming you don't stall, miss a day, or deload, but most people do.

>listing weights in kg

Kill yourself

youre doing good

92.5*
127.5*

Alright Veeky Forums I want to explain something to you guys who worry about 1/2/3/4

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/15386-zach-update.html

You've probably seen this dude before. This was Zach in 2010 after 6 months of SS + GOMAD.

Squat = 345 x 5
Bench = 240 x 5
Deadlift = 325 x 5
Press = 145 x 5

As you can see, in 6 months Zach hit a quarter of 1/2/3/4. You need to ask yourself what your goals are. If you want to hit 1/2/3/4 soon then you're going to have eat even though you may end up looking like Zach. If you want an attractive body, then stop worrying about how long it will take to hit 1/2/3/4 and start worrying about what you'll look like when you do.

>b-but if Zach had cut then he would have looked good...

No he wouldn't have

It's definitely a strong lifter. Most people can barely reach 2pl8 lad

>in 6 months Zach hit a quarter of 1/2/3/4
what the fuck are you on about? The only one he didn't hit was deadlift

That seems like so much. I'm coming from a XC and track background and know little about lifting, and I've been doing a 4x8 routine to try to get hypertrophy. I've made good progress (+8 lbs in my first two months) with my body weight but it's taking me longer to get used to new weight (going up in increments of 5 instead of 10 lbs). I only take 1-2 minutes of rest between sets because that's what I'm used to with running. Obviously I could lift more with more rest but would the progress also go faster with more rest between sets?

how does he squat more than diddy, and theres no way he does 240lb bench with that chest, These 2 factors make me believe he is some ego lifter doing 4 inch ROM on everything.

can you post physique? Im curious

Been training for the same amount, and got 295. And you're really not that far behind.

1/2/3/4 is the benchmark of being able to be considered strong. So it should only be justified to take a little bit of time

really?

in 7 months i managed to eek out a 4 plate squat for 1, with a 5 kilo weight gain in that time (82 to 87). i thought this was suboptimal progress desu.

ive never set foot in a gym yet i constantly say i squat 3 plates in 4 months. Honestly i dont even think i can squat the bar lol

He was Rippetoe's personal experiment, do you really think he'd let him ego lift and do quarter reps?

should i just start eating a daily meal of hotdogs and icecream for another 1000ckals just to get in my 5000ckals to get them strength gains?

I squat about 225 lbs after roughly 8 years of lifting :^) come in me, bro

see for your self youtube.com/watch?v=7TB0PpIGcX0

Those better be ATG pause reps for high volume user.

I got to 1/2/3/4 in less than 6 months, but I go to the gym 5 or 6 days a week as well as dieting well because Neet.

You must be a woman so yes I will

why is he doing 5 sets? i thought rippletits favored 3 sets. And did he never do any accessory lifts?

no, that is bad progress. good progress = eating appropriately (if you want to get stronger, clean bulk at surplus of your choice), never missing a workout, having good form including good mobility and sleep enough.

take SS for example. if you begin squatting 50kg and add 2.5kg each time like the program says to, and assuming you deload at 100kg and 130kg for whatever reason, you'll reach 3 plates in under 4 months. that's realistic and has been done plenty times before by people who were simply better at the form, had better diets, and better commitment

Nah, I'm just really shit at squatting/lifting in general.
They are ATG though at least.
My legs look decent for some weird reason anyway....

you can probably read about these freak experiments on ripps webiste or something, idk man

> not including the most important factor
Those people also won the genetic lottery.

Dam pretty joocy man, you have to be doing 4x12 squats then right?

Hes not doing SS in the video.

Hes doing texas method. Hence 5 sets.

Not most people, since this board is full of retards who do brosplits and are horribly afraid of losing their visible abs even temporarily. But it can be done in less than 6 months.

No sir. 3 or 5 reps. Currently I am actually only squatting with one of those weird bands on my knees to fix my form (my knees buckle in sometimes). I only use 135 lbs for that.

My stats are really fucking weird. Strong OHP/Dead, weak Bench and very weak Squat.

>thinking a standard SS progression demands good genetics
if you have unterrible genetics, you can easily do this. some gangly 6' 5 nerd is not going to make it, ever, but any healthy young man could do this. the issue is in the form, in the commitment and in the diet. usually when people fuck up their linear progression (assuming their programming is good), at least one of these is the culprit.

>No he wouldn't have
What makes you think this?

That's actually pretty true though. I can parallel squat 320 but best ATG is 275. It might not look as cool to do the ATG but it definitely feels harder on my muscles.

315 isn't even impressive ATG. No quarter squat is impressive.

>Strong OHP/Dead, weak Bench and very weak Squat.
Same! I

you shouldn't do squats and deadlifts; you'll damage your back

only with bad form.

You squat 3 times a week on starting strength
You deadlift 1.5 times a week on starting strength

you increase your lifts each workout by 10lbs at first and 5lbs after that

it's normal to hit squat first