Runners of Veeky Forums, how do you combat the need to shit mid-run when a toilet isn't available?

Runners of Veeky Forums, how do you combat the need to shit mid-run when a toilet isn't available?

I've tried eating and then shitting before running, but even that doesn't guarantee it.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/09/19/sports/fueled-by-beer-and-candy-bars-ultra-runner-karl-meltzer-sets-appalachian-trail-record.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Run in the morning, and poop just before you head out. Works for me, but I stop eating around 1pm the previous day, so there's plenty of time for everything to get to the end of my GI tract.

I wear diapers.

following

you can always just do it the asian way, skip part of the race

>Runners of Veeky Forums, how do you combat the need to shit mid-run when a toilet isn't available?

Just how long are you're runs that you feel the need to shit midway?

You shouldn't be eating heavy before the run and generally it's good practice to use the toilet before the run to urinate and defecate.

I'm doing half marathon training, so up to 13 miles. However, I've had the need to shit for distances as low as 4 miles, so I'm guessing it's timing related.

My breakfast is quite light - normally a sandwich or a bowl of cereal, as I don't want stitches from digestion or a heavy feeling. I then either run straight away after breakfast (and the shits kick in by the time I get back) or I wait until I need to shit then go. Sometimes, like today, I shat ~90 minutes after breakfast and needed to go towards running home.

i drink a lot of coffee. typically, by my third cup of the morning, i'm about ready to evacuate my entire GI tract.

other than that, you just learn to hold it in. i've been just about my whole life and there have only been two occasions when i absolutely, could not hold it and had to shit somewhere.

if you ever do hills, you'll likely find yourself fighting the urge to shit but, in time, you'll learn to control it.

There's this miracle drug that helps a lot, and it's available OTC. Ready?

Loperamide.

In the morning, drink some coffee to get your bowels moving, take a shit, and an hour before the race, take Loperamide.

Want to know the secret? It's called: bushes. We ultra runners go behind bushes and take a shit if we need to shit. If you are a pansy and cannot even fathom doing something like that, you can always take Immodium prior to the run.

>so I'm guessing it's timing related
Not necessarily. It's a common occurrence. It's even mentioned on Wikipedia.

Don't they chafe?

>use the toilet to urinate and defecate
Thanks for explaining what a toilet is for.

If you run consistently and get enough fiber you will shit on a pretty regular schedule, your body will be relatively empty of fecal matter after a week or two, and you will only have to shit once or twice per day. If you time your runs so that they do not overlap with your shit you will not have to worry.

What a scrawny piece of shit you must be.

Do you really feel this intimidated by someone just because he is fitter than you?

>goes behind the bushes.

nigga real ultra runners just fucking do it wherever.

Quite the opposite. Unlike marathon runners, ultra marathon runners tend to eat a whole lot more and look at food as fuel. We'll eat right in the middle of a race. Ten miles in, I'll be having a half a bucket of KFC.

I'm guessing you've never been to a ultra?

Runners are not fit at all.

I'm calling bullshit on this. You'd get really bad cramps from eating while racing.

Are you legitimately retarded?

Confirmed for never being at an ultra.

I think you mean confirmed never having even run a half marathon...

Too much running damages the heart more than it benefits.

Of course, I'd never go to a gathering of scrawny little bitches.

nytimes.com/2016/09/19/sports/fueled-by-beer-and-candy-bars-ultra-runner-karl-meltzer-sets-appalachian-trail-record.html?_r=0

>pint of ice cream for a boost

1. What does that have to do with eating while running an ultra?... nothing.

2. Show me any legitimate evidence at all that suggests that long distance runners have weaker hearts than other athletes. Hell heavy-lifters (really just the really big ones) suffer heart problems all the time...

>When Meltzer finished Sunday, he walked down the mountain, sat in a chair and sated himself with pepperoni pizza and a beer
What a fucking hero. This guy is a damn legend.

>runners not fit at all

I'm re-replying this just to point out how full of shit you are. I literally do nothing but run long distance and the physical part of yoga (asanas and prana yama) for a total of 10-15 hrs per week.

You can see my shirt is a Leadville Trail 100 shirt. It's been a while since I've done an actual ultra, but I have the experience and my body doesn't look very much different than it did when I ran Leadville.

Linked in /cbt/.

Damn dude. 'mirin hard.

How is she flat chested even by Asian standards

I also do pullups and chinups, but not very many.

Thanks, breh.

He's probably seen this cherrypicked picture and now believes that any form of distance running always equals skelly mode.

Hey, got any tips on getting my 1.5 mile time down?

What's you running workout schedule look like? I was a 1 miler in middle and highschool track so I could probably help.

Possible.

Currently doing bridge to 10k so I'm running 3 days a week.

I'm pretty susceptible to shin splints too

Assuming you are at least 2 weeks into Bt10K you will likely see a huge improvement in your short dist times by adding in some light to moderate speed work. If you're training for a 1.5 mi then I suggest the following:

Find a track or some other way you can designate approx 0.5 mi to run intervals on.
Do 0.5 mi intervals where you run the 0.5 mi at 5-20 seconds faster than the pace you want to run your full 1.5 mi; so say you want to run a 12 min 1.5 mi - your 0.5 mi would be 3:55-3:40. (if the math doesn't make sense here I can eloborate, but I think you'll get it, it's pretty easy)
Do 6 X 0.5 mi, with 1-3 minutes "rest" in between.
You should do the first interval out around 5 seconds faster than your goal pace and final interval around 15-20 seconds faster. Don't go too much faster because you're not training to sprint 1.5 mi; different type of running.
"Rest" does not mean stand still or sit down and catch your breath, you should be jogging with an open, but easy stride. It will feel like shit at first but you will catch your breath pretty quickly, and will not lock up.

Sub that in for 1 of the three days in your Bt10K, and then the very next day run like 10mins easy just to open up and get loose again.

You'll feel real tired on the easy run on the immediate following day, but then on the next workout day you'll notice a big difference in how hard it seems to keep that same pace..3-4 weeks in you'll see genuine drop in your pace by full seconds per mi.

Also, if you want to avoid splints try to relax your shins while you run (don't pick the tops of your feet up so hard, and come down with a softer, more whole-footed or front-footed strike. You can also try to run on softer surfaces as often as possible, like people's lawns and trails.

Are you a retard? I did a 12 hour race last year and I'm doing it again this year as well as a 69 mile race. It was 4 mile laps and they provided loads of food and there were massive bacon sandwiches for breakfast. Do you honestly think that the average runner could go for 69 miles or 12 hours without taking on any food?

Do you carry toilet paper with you as well?

Cheers for this mate. I have till the 4th of April to get my time down to below 11mins40secs

Is it doable ?

saw a documentary years ago about UMers.. fucking one guy runs 26 miles each morning (more or less), does business on the phone while running, and orders a Dominoes pizza to meet him part of the way through the run.

A E S T H E T I C

>Orders pizza every morning

Fucking hell that must cost a fuckton

Squat plug

>Dominoes pizza
quality guy

i didnt know that poo in loos had it in them to run ultras

Will I fuck something up if I run 3,5km twice a day 5 times a week?

My achilles hurts so badly that the day after I run I can barely walk. What are my options? Its been like this for about 3 months

your shoes or gait is bad. possibly both.

you're probably heel striking and/or wearing trash shoes.

Go to a high end running shoe store.
Fleet feet, nike headquarters, Etc..Usually time they will have a treadmill and run gait analysis on ya.

my shoes were old and worn down as hell when the injury happened, but i bought new ones a month ago, asics. The injury remains, wont heal

you might need to give the injury more time or check your gait like the poster above said.

>shit mid-run
Disgusting. Do you have designated shitting lanes too?

>looks like that without even lifting
>those fucking genetics
Its not fair brehs

that depends on where you're at now, but in a full month you should be able to shave 10-20 seconds off of your 1 mi pace ability wise, as well as at least that much off of your mental limitations. Encountering "limits" while running at that kind of pace is far more mental than physiological, and like I said, just doing that 0.5 mis at 5-20 secs faster than your race pace will make the pace you are currently doing seem like a jog when you actually go to run 1.5 mi, for time or not.

Remember that your ability will increase, so if in 2 weeks 20 seconds faster than your anticipated race pace seems easy, go for starting at 10 seconds faster and finish at 30 or 40 seconds faster.

thanks, breh.

>achilles
Either heel striking or running on your toes. Take video of your form or go to a running store for analysis.

Don't discount the work that I do. that shit pisses me off. I'm doing 30-50 mi/week right now at 7 min/mi pace on my easiest days, and I do my asanas & prana yama for half hour to an hour and a half 4-6 days every week. I beat my body into shape every day, didn't get here by doing nothing.

You might have a tear or strain. Please get that looked at, it should not hurt like that.

>used to total 30 miles a week in undergrad
>knee injury when I decided to run an impromptu half marathon
>(did get the best high of my life that day, though)
>tried repeatedly to get back at it
>always went too far, too fast and got crazy shin splints
>decided to go slow as fuck
>restart with C25K
>just finished week 1
>been fighting the urge to skip ahead
>I'm finally gonna make it again

I can't be assed to get into weight training

Theres this shit called fasciitis and it fucks you for no-reason and it's incurable, only heals with time and they don't know how long it may take. I got it and it lasted two weeks while I was training for a marathon. Still managed to run 12-15 km a day. Don't quit, it will get better and you'll feel better with time. Just don't quit.

Best mile time?