How brutal were the Soviets in afghanistan...

how brutal were the Soviets in afghanistan? I remember a teacher I had a while ago tell me that they not only used reprisal tactic of shooting villages if one of their men was even attacked, but that they also made mines designed to look like toys specifically so kids would pick them up, blow the kids arms off, and then the parents would have to take care of the kid instead of fighting them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QkFjIGA1SII
youtu.be/9aPM4XZUbO4
youtube.com/watch?v=i8K0sW8GX-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Funny I´ve read the same thing done by americans in Plain of Jars, Laos. They called them bombies isn´t that cute?

About mines that look like toys, that wasn't intentional.

the 'mines that look like toys' is pure yankee propaganda, the mines were based off american designs anyhow lel

>whataboutism
>dindu nuffin american lies!

any real answers?

Yes. It's the real answer. The fact mines looked like toys was purely accidental, and they were indeed based on American design.

Fairly cruel, though bear in mind the soviet soldier was brutalised in innumerable ways by his own superior officers and mismanagement by the general staff. To be cruel to the locals simply flows from there.
Funny story, insurgents would often ignore soviet supply convoys, since convoys carrying food would be far more deadly if they reached soviet soldiers than if they were ambushed. Shit rotted.

>reprisal tactic of shooting villages if one of their men was even attacked

They also mounted major offensives simply to recover fallen soldiers corpse, they had a higher sense of duty in that way, on the contrary this never happened in the fiasco that was the 1st chechen war.

> but that they also made mines designed to look like toys specifically so kids would pick them up

No, the PFM-1 aka "butterfly mine" simply had the unfortunate charasteristics of looking like a toy, thats why the kids usually picked them up and ended up as amputees, it was not designed to look like it on purpose.

It was designed to be deployed by air drop over a wide area to hinder enemy movements, the soviets used this especially in the border region of pakistan in order to stop the mujahideen movements over the border.

They were extremely brutal espdcially when it came to bombing / dropping artillery on ijhabited towns they though mujahideen were in

Their main problem was they were still kind of trying to fight ww2

Also their soldiers gave lierally 0 fucks

youtube.com/watch?v=QkFjIGA1SII

>it's pure propaganda
>but it's also true
0__o

they are real but they were not desinged to look like toys

jesus man

Propaganda can be true brainlet

Propaganda isn't a synonym of lie.

They used thermobaric warheads on suspected Mujaheddin locations, so fairly brutal

Staged shit

There were around 2 million non-combatant civilians killed in that war. Now obviously not all of them were killed by Soviets, but a big majority of them was.

>hey also made mines designed to look like toys specifically so kids would pick them up, blow the kids arms off, and then the parents would have to take care of the kid instead of fighting them
This is masturbating machines and rollercoasters in Auschwitz tier bullshit, and I'm not even a commie.

You hear this about cluster bombs all the time, does this look like a toy to you?

youtu.be/9aPM4XZUbO4

Id luk lik toi 2 mee heheh

Fuck Vietnam, Soviet War in Afghanistan has the best soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=i8K0sW8GX-4

>tfw you'll never ride with your bros in a BTR while blasting krautrock/new wave bootleg cassette tapes, wearing fly adidas kicks paired with some slick KLMK and shooting at dushman

fighting airpower with none is truly horifying

Brutal enough to make the Taliban look good by comparison.

Child mines in blush it they did chem bomb villages as far as I know

The toy mine story comes from these things they were air dropped over afganistan, it’s not designed to look like a toy, but it does kinda look like something a kid would pick up. The Americans also at one point used a mine like this

To my knowledge, the USSR actually wiped whole villages off the map with gunship raids. Like, not just shooting a few villagers. I mean leaving the whole damn village a smoldering crater devoid of life. It was meant to cause fear as a deterrent.

America was worse. Financed the fucking taliban FFS.

why were 80s jumpsuits so much better looking than modern ones

the 60s just cant compete with the 80s, that's the truth

The soviets literally wiped out the Afghan population, made no distinction between insurgent and non combatant.

Also mujiaden=/ taliban you brainlet

DO IT AGAIN VARENNIKOV

>America financed the taliban
oh no, here comes the brainlet brigade

>gets answer he doesn't like
>asks for "real answers" instead

retard

>Taliban
>1980s
Brainlets pls go.

This.

Yes.

>also made mines designed to look like toys specifically so kids would pick them up
who the heck is autistic enough to believe this?