Are the 4 Big Lifts a meme? Seems like their prominence is pretty much arbitrary...

Are the 4 Big Lifts a meme? Seems like their prominence is pretty much arbitrary. Asking because I love DLs and OHP but don't care much for Memesquats and Flat Bench. Will it actually affect my gainz if I substitute them for variations/alternatives I enjoy? I don't really give a fuck how much I lift as long as it goes up, and I also don't intend on comparing my lifts with you fags, if that helps.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3RQkQ8yK8Z8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bench and squats are way more important than DL or OHP.
Nothing can replace squats unless you want to do an extra 2-3 accessories.

But sure, if you want to do that, go ahead. Who gives a fuck, just do what you enjoy doing.

I honestly can't stand back squats at this point. I actually kind on like the feeling but my autism has ruined them for me. Every time I get in the cage I think "this is reddit, this is memes". Squats are a fad at this point. They're literally Cosmopolitan-the exercise. Literal instagram tier millenialness. They're the Veeky Forumsness equivalent of Starbucks. All those "squats make you awesome xDD" and "real manlybaconbeard men squat" memes are fucking killing me inside. I need to find a new lift. Looking into hack squats or rear foot elevated split atm. I just wanted normies to stay where they belong.

>squat
>more important than DL and OHP
I bet you think thicc men are "manly"

I absolutely love deadlifts but they're really not that important for anything other than deadlifts.

>this is reddit, this is memes

always makes me chuckle

Finna break out the functional strength meme and say dead lifts are probably the most important IRL

Maybe if you do sumo, but those are fucking meme tier.

Why is that? They're much more natural. Even the Greyskull guy said he preferred them.

What kind of sissy faggot doesn't enjoy bench pressing?

They just make the lift easier. Might as well do quarter squats.
Next you'll tell me you do mixed grip on anything other than a PR or 1 rep max.

I'm not him, but shut the fuck up retard.

you can get a strong deadlift without EVER doing DLs. Just squatting. The opposite doesn't apply.

>He uses mixed grip
LMAO how is your baby grip?
Or do your thumbs hurt if you hook grip? Does the baby need his baba?

Do you know how I know you're fucking retarded? I can almost guarantee you I can DOH more than your max.

I'm not even that strong broseph, but using mixed grip on anything other than a 1RM or X rep max (for finding working sets) is pathetic and should be avoided.

You can say that when you can DOH deadlift more than 180kg.

>I'm not even that strong
>Talking like you know shit on a gay anonymous meme board

There's something wrong with you.

I can DOH ~155kg for 6 reps so I'll get their soon enough. Avoid mixed grip at all costs.

It's just common sense.

Well not thinking of dropping them but yeah that pisses me off.

No, you're just weak as shit, and doing that deadlift DOH is nothing to be proud of. Shit I could do that in my 3rd month of lifting.

I started 6 months ago and I've lost 70lbs. I think I'm doing just fine friendo.

DOH 4 plate isn't difficult with a decent quality bar

>losing weight

Right, but you, like the rest of Veeky Forums is in no position to give any sort of advice or criticism.

>his gym has decent quality bars

delet this

>Right, but you, like the rest of Veeky Forums is in no position to give any sort of advice or criticism.
You're in no position to make this statement.

Except I'm a lot stronger than him, have been lifting 4x as long as him, and don't take advice from here, ever.

Then you shouldn't be giving any either.
>You and the rest of Veeky Forums
This includes you. Now fuck off retard.

I never gave any advice and my only criticism was calling a weak shit a weak shit.

People that know bench pressing is boring and fucking useleas

Great. Keep it that way.
btw mixed grip is for pussies

t. "man" that can't pull 200kg

>Do wide sumo stance and mixed grip
>I can deadlift 200kg!
lmao at your life
I can squat 300kg quarter repping too bro.

Jokes on you.

I can pull 200kg DOH and I do conventional because sumo is a meme.

Big 4 = Deadlift, weighted dips, weighted pullups, mile time.

I can pull 201kg DOH. Are you going to do this all day?

>are you going to do this all day?

Says the triggered fatty who's been lifting 6 months.

Sorry I offended you oh great lifting master of 2 years. I'll never do it again sensei.

Kys.

I'd agree but cardio is for pussies who don't even die in a thai bathtub so no

bullshit opinion post written by a dyel, there is absolutely nothing that makes the bench or squat more essential than a deadlift

>nothing can replace squats unless you want to do an extra 2-3 accessories

and you can replace deadlifts with less than that? you need something to hit hamstrings (squats do not do this as effectively), something to hit grip, something to hit spinal erectors, something to hit glutes, and something to hit traps at a minimum

they all work pretty well and are popular for a reason (other than just lineage), but that's not to say certain variations of those lifts aren't better depending on what you're training for

trap bar deadlift, for example, allows heavier loading and less lower back stress which is probably better for most people

close grip bench puts less stress on the shoulders and has a longer range of motion, that can be nice for bench assistance/tricep work

SSB squats hit quads in a savage way you can't replicate with any other variant

you should stop posting, you know nothing

stop posting, weak faggot, you lift what i did at 16

fat weak faggot

Deadlifts don't effectively hit most of those except grip. There are much better exercises than deadlifts for all of those.

wrong

stop posting, last warning

You're wrong. The three lifts that are the greatest tests of overall body strength are squat, deadlift and push press.

You can stop posting.

What are you going to do, suck my dick?

You can get good at deadlifts without even doing them, assuming you know correct form.
Squats you can't. Press arguably.

there are better exercises to train lower back than squat

there are better exercises to train hamstrings than squat

there are better exercises to train glutes than squat

there are better exercises to train quads than squat (depending on your anthropometry, squats might actually be a really poor choice of quad exercise)

does that make the squat useless?

of course not, because it hits a lot of these things pretty damn well

the deadlift also hits a lot of these things (more) pretty damn well

just do both unless you only want to/can do one

also you are a completely clueless newfag and you need to stop giving advice

>press through a horizontal and vertical plane

>Pick up something heavy as fuck off the ground

>Put something heavy as fuck on your back and work your legs

That's all there is to it.

Just make sure you also

>Use the muscles of your back to pull something close to your body

Yes, squat hits all of those things nicely.
Deadlift doesn't nearly as much.

I'm not saying don't do them. But they aren't necessary, and if you're doing them you should be doing accessories like front squat.

You have been lifting 6 months, you have no idea what you are talking about. People like you are the reason for the vast amount of misinformation on this board.

These are the people giving advice in /fit.

Why would anyone in their right mind recommend mixed grip?

To lift more weight, you dingus. Let me elaborate.

>when lifting double overhand, the bar wants to roll towards your body, your grip will fail the easiest doing double overhand

>when lifting with hook grip, it is extremely painful at first. Your thumb does not want to be crushed, but over time the nerves will deaden and it will become easy. The only problem comes with prolonged use, you will develop arthritis in your thumbs.

>when lifting with straps you are not directly working your grip strength, and since you don't have to squeeze the bar as tight, you are more likely to be overall loose when performing the lift, which has a greater likelihood of injury

>when lifting with mixed grip the bar wants to both roll away from you, and roll towards you while lifting, but since one hand is keeping it from rolling away and the other is keeping it from rolling towards it stays in place better. The only time injuries are involved here are when people either pull with their arms, or crank their hands under the bar in a manner that is not the proper way to grip. Injuries are very easy to avoid if you're not a dingus and you can lift significantly more weight and work on grip strength simultaneously

Now fuck off.

yes, the big 4 a meme.

not even kidding, you'd be better off using dumbbels for OHP and Bench Press, for the greater ROM. Using barbels is a meme for autists who only care about bragging about being able to move a large amount of weight. It's essentially comparable to doing quarter reps and then bragging about moving 200kg.

You can get essentially the same workout for squatting by leg pressing.

Deadlifts are the only one you might not find an alternative to, but honestly you could just work all the muscles individually and not have to worry about having perfect form and fucking up your back.

not the guy you responded to, but
>needing years of experience to state facts you can literally google

>To lift more weight,
So exactly as I said here?
They shouldn't be used for working sets, that's fucking retarded. It should always be a last resort or for finding your X rep max for working sets.

You'll create imbalances if you do lots of repetition and heavy weight doing mixed grip. Although it takes awhile, and you can alternate hand positions, it's still absolutely fucking retard and you should seriously kill yourself if you recommend someone to always use mixed grip.

>“Nothing, in my opinion, is better than the use of the dumb-bell, for developing the whole system, particularly if it is used intelligently, and with a knowledge of the location and functions of the muscles.” – Eugen Sandow
daily reminder

Where do you guys stand on SLDL?

He also advocated lifting babby weights for a ridiculous number of reps

So basically, you're advocating for letting your grip strength being a limiting factor in your work sets. Do you know how unintelligent that is? Your grip strength will eventually fall behind the rest of the muscles that you use to deadlift, after all your forearms are very small and your posterior chain is very big.

>creating imbalances

That's where you're wrong, any imbalances created by doing mixed grip are very easily undone with any other sort of pulling.

Yates didn't like squatting.

>Canadian bacon is a USA invention.

>Listening to a gay, jewish manlet with a shitty routine

Problem with squats is that they overtrain your adductors so your thighs constantly touch, makes you sweaty and makes you walk funny.

>steroids

He could have literally sat on his ass and just flexed his legs for two hours a day twice a week and his legs would have gotten bigger than yours ever will be.

>not listening to a gay, jewish manlet with a shitty routine who stills looks better than 102% of Veeky Forums

ok this guy has no clue. for all the ones without any clue of anatomy, do not do this.
If one of your target muscles is too weak to properly perform a lift as is the case for your grip strength when deadlifting, what you do NOT do is try to cheat your way around it (wraps, mixed grip, chalk)
what you instead should do is target the muscle that inhibits you from performing the exercise. for deadlifting, hold the bar as long as you can on your last rep.

mixed grip is dangerous and causes imbalances in the long run that can injure yourself BADLY. fuck anyone who recommends mixed grip, seriously. whats up with these retarded ego lifters?
>but muh more weight

kill yourself you literal nigger, there are people without any clue that can damage themselves for life through the absolute, utter bullshit you are spewing

>you're advocating for letting your grip strength being a limiting factor in your work sets
You should work on your grip strength before worrying about how heavy you're lifting. Even then for working sets you should always ALWAYS do double overhand to failure before moving to hook grip and, if absolutely needed, mixed grip.
It's a last resort, and if you use it for all your working sets, you're a fucking retard.

You are actually a fucking retard.

If your deadlift is light enough that you can use double overhand for every work set you are weak and in no position to give advice here.

Did that chucklefuck use to be a cutter?

this. Do not listen to the mixed grip retards roaming this board. better safe than sorry, and sorry you will be using the mixed grip sooner or later

>kill yourself you literal nigger

I double overhand till my grip fails then do hook grip.
Mixed grip is a meme.

Hook grip is the only meme here. Enjoy your arthritis in your thumbs in 10 years user.

Is Sandow the most AESTHETIC who ever lived? How'd he even do it without roids, supplements or Veeky Forums's advice?

>Bench and squats are way more important than DL or OHP.

False. In order of importance/crossover:

>Deadlift
>Bench
>Squat
>Press

Squat is by far my best lift but Deadlift and Bench both have more utility.

Yes. It's funny that so many people who don't have any plans to compete in powerlifting still follow pl specific routines. For general strength or strength for real sports they aren't necessarily the best exercises. Especially if performed with stupid power lifting form.

youtube.com/watch?v=3RQkQ8yK8Z8

>Allowing normies to steal a fantastic lift

>His grip strength can go up as fast as his deadlift

i prefer zercher or front squat to back squats

nah dog deadlift and and press over squat and bench. When do you ever lay on your back and push something off you unless you like to fuck fatties in cow position

For the average novice, they will activate the most amount of muscle in the least number of exercises. If you are limited by stamina and/or time, these lifts will be the most efficient use of your gym time in terms of overall development.

As you dedicate more time to it, or increase your stamina so that you can have longer gym sessions that are still productive, then add accessories.