Do ex fatties gain fat back faster or is it still just calories in vs calories out

Do ex fatties gain fat back faster or is it still just calories in vs calories out

I heard something the other day about how it takes something like 7 years for your body to adjust completely to becoming fit.

You have a predispostion to gain fat until you stay fit for enough years. Of course this can't override calories in vs calories out.

Diet & Body Re-composition

This is the section of the sticky that goes over that exact question.

Please actually read the material instead of shit posting.

/sage

Don't be a fag m8, that section of the sticky is new and most people have had the sticky hidden in the catalog for years.

But yeah, the answer is Veeky Forums has recently begun to accept a toned down idea of "starvation mode", and it'll take a while for your body to adjust. Don't give up though, bitch

01/14/13(Mon)12:01:59 No.17018637

3 years is new?

What does that even mean? Seriously, that statement is so generalistic and vague that it doesn't translate to anything of substance

If you've been fat during your youth you have more adypocites and you can store more fat, still, if you don't eat at a surplus you won't gain fat. The major problem is probably more cultural than anything, meaning that as a fatty you develop a mindset and a series of habits that make it easier for you to indulge in a lifestyle that will make you fat

Agreed with this user. Also it's proven that your neurological pathways as a heavier person throughout your childhood develop the same way an addicted does. So you will have trouble just automatically self regulating yourself and it will take conscious thought.

Kys if you think the sticky is useful

by Veeky Forums standards yes that is fairly new

I heard that being fat has a permanent negative affect on your metabolism so you are more susceptible to gaining fat

Yes fat cells decrease in size but never disappear, that's what fatties get for being glutinous.

Ex-fatties are quicker to embrace a gluttonous lifestyle with a large appetite and low willpower, but the weight they gain follows the same rules of calories in/calories out that we all do.

yeah supposedly fat cells increase in size, and that is why it is easier for formily obese people to bounce back

that and old habits

I'm an ex fattie down from 360 to 220 for 3 years, it's easy to gain weight but it's easy to stack on muscle , I noticed if I do cardio and lifting I lean out faster than diet and lifting alone . 6 mins run after warm up and 20 min stair master at the end , watch your knees health

>glutinous.

This word does not mean what you think it means

Did anyone see the show on Channel 4 last night, about Super Slimmers? "Did they keep the weight off?"
It focused on people like Danny Cahill (winner of The Biggest Loser, Season 8) and did a sort of "Where are they now?" catch up, and then looked at the science behind keeping the weight off and staying slim.
Or Harriet Jenkins (Slimming World woman of the year in 2010) who lost 16 stone in 16 months. Slimming World (for our American readers) is a huge UK program, which the NHS (National Health Service) pays for obese people to attend.
And Leroy Wilson, from Lighter Life who lost 20 stone in a mind breaking 7 months. (Lighter Life is a total meal replacement program, much like Lipotrim).
A common theme through the show was that slimmers were invariably being told by people that they were doing wrong, doing damage, doing the wrong thing, doing something crazy, or some other negativity.
It was kind of sad to see Leroy claim that the amount of excess loose skin he had after his weight loss, made him think he was better off being fat. He had the operations to remove the skin, but then got big again anyway. :(
Danny Cahill, since winning, also put on over 8 stone. He says he eats the same amount as his friends, but he gains weight and they don't.
Spectacular weight loss, according to the scientists of the show, simply cannot be maintained. Diets do not work, according to the scientists. Of course they mean diet in the calorie restriction sense of the word.
Danny Cahill, when he was on the Biggest Loser, was burning 8,000 - 10,000 calories A DAY yet he was only consuming 800 calories a day. With 3500 calories = 1lb of fat, no wonder they lost so much so quickly.
As most keto'ers know, it's not as simple as calories in versus calories out when it comes to losing weight. Body chemistry plays a huge part. Leptin for example, drives our appetite, and enhances the pleasure we get from eating food. It tricks our bodies into putting weight back on.

I meant to type gluttonous srry senpai

Danny's body, rechecked by the scientists 6 years after winning the show, showed that his basic metabolism was WAY slower than it would be in a guy his size who had never been obese. It was, in their words "a persistent metabolic adaptation". Dannys body burns 800 calories per day less than a regular person. If a normal man burns 2000 - 2500 calories a day, Danny burns 1200 - 1700. If he eats like a regular person, he puts on a pound of fat per week.
And it's not just crash diets. They talked about a study of 14 different types of "moderate" diets, by Dr. Traci Mann. She included Paleo, low carb, low sugar diets, as well as others. And her study found that after 3 years, 90%-95% of dieters were back to within 2lbs of their original weight. 40% were actually heavier than when they started.
The reasons, according to science, are a combination of this reduced metabolic rate (so you need less calories) and an increase in the amount of hunger you feel. And because dieters are not aware of these changes, they tend to blame themselves when the weight returns. Dr Mann says they shouldn't feel guilty, because weight gain is a predictable response to weight loss.
The exceptions to this, the 5-10 percent who kept the weight off for a long long time, had the following things in common : They exercise a LOT, at least 1hr a day every day. The other thing was that they made keeping the weight off the SINGLE most important thing in their life.
They covered how messed up Leptin and Ghrelin are in formerly obese people. (Leptin is a hormone, made by fat cells, that decreases your appetite. Ghrelin is a hormone made in the stomach, that increases appetite, and also plays a role in body weight.) And one guy who kept the weight off does 2 hours of INTENSE exercise every single day without fail.

The latest science says that no diet (including keto) induced weight loss, stays off for more than 3 years in 90% to 95% of cases, due to messed up Leptin and Ghrelin levels, and a massive decrease in a dieters basic metabolic rate.

>Sorry fatties

>tfw fat mom and apathetic dad
>got fat in early teens because nobody stopped me
>fucked for life, no matter what I aim for it will be harder to achieve and maintain now

Letting your kid get fat should be grounds for a child abuse lawsuit.

well at least i can be built fat instead of just fat

sauce on that science?

Remember that because a channel 4 documentary speculates it, doesn't mean it's totally true.

The documentary also showed people who gained the weight because eating chips for 2£ is easier than cooking food and they generally didn't know how to return to a normal diet after losing so much weight.

Always remember that if you're a fatty losing weight, that you can't go back to those habits ever again, you have to completely change your lifestyle and always watch what you eat.
Of course tho, if youre finished losing the weight then you can eat more and binge every once in a while, but keeping a moderately active lifestyle and a moderately low to average calorie diet will keep the fat off you.

You can find science supporting any claims, stuff like the China study saying eggs are bad, or how the science backing up statins is now considered total bullshit

Once you reach your goal weight, establish a threshold, like "I'll never pass X kg again" and go on keto/IF/whatever made you lose weight in the first place once you get close to X.
Obvious exception is packing on muscle, but you need to have that "welp, I'm fat again" point and take measures when you approach it.

its a mix of that and fatties were used to eating huge ass meals do if they skip a few days lifting they will go back into fatty mode again.

My granny is a DYEL 90 pounds and she struggles to eat 400 calories in a meal

>be 16
>depressed just sat home and played vidya for the entire summer break gained 30 lbs
>tfw forever ex fat
i wish my mom had taken pictures of me and telling me i was getting fat

or just, y'know, don't be a pussy and do regular cardio

Cardio got me fat, true story.

This is so fucking true. Was obese till 17, lose all the weight but pick up WoW as a counteraddiction, stop WoW and pick up weed as an addiction. Stop weed but get a nympho with borderline personality disorder as an addiction. She broke me and went right to heroin after that to get my dopamine fix. Quit that shit too abd started working on addiction problems, self regulation and all that shit. Took me a few years and sober for 2 now.
Tl;dr: Being fat as a kid fucks you up ohysically and mentally. Parents who let their kid get obese should be hanged.

I was chubby but not like incredibly fat until about 14. How might that permanently affect me?

The fatter you are, the faster you gain fat.

I was fat, and always stopped my cuts around 15% bf due to weak willpower, and fat gained back fast.

Last year though, I finally stuck out a cut to 10% and ever since, I haven't gone over ~15% and I've been bulking and making gains ever since.

Obesity is a mental sickness and very strong addiction.
The only ways to get thin and stay thin is to get a bariatric surgery and this is not a 100% surefire way either.
See it as this. Take a heroin junkie and make him quit and then force him to take a limited amount of heroin a day. But he is allowed to take as much as he wants, it's legal, socially acceptable, cheap and jr can get it literally anywhere. He will never be able to not become a fully blown addict. He might stay strong for awhile but after his willpower/motivation subsides or he has a rough time he will become a full blown addict again and has to start back from square one.
Permanent weightloss w/o surgery is near impossible.

You eating to much because you think you're burning more than you're eating is your fault.
You getting into an accident that cripples you and you giving up on your willpower and eating more than you're burning is STILL your fault.

Or why are you blaming cardio for your own shortcomings?

Why do you recommend cardio for weight loss?