"Another thing you will often hear from design-school types is that contemporary architecture is honest...

>"Another thing you will often hear from design-school types is that contemporary architecture is honest. It doesn’t rely on the forms and usages of the past, and it is not interested in coddling you and your dumb feelings. Wake up, sheeple! Your boss hates you, and your bloodsucking landlord too, and your government fully intends to grind you between its gears. That’s the world we live in! Get used to it! Fans of Brutalism—the blocky-industrial-concrete school of architecture—are quick to emphasize that these buildings tell it like it is, as if this somehow excused the fact that they look, at best, dreary, and, at worst, like the headquarters of some kind of post-apocalyptic totalitarian dictatorship."

currentaffairs.org/2017/10/why-you-hate-contemporary-architecture

What does Veeky Forums think of this article? I absolutely agree with the authors that the post-modernist trend towards creating architecture predicated upon what people SHOULD want (from a post-modern intellectual perspective) rather than what they actually DO want (spaces that are comfortable and attractive), is completely pretentious and pernicious. However I do think that there's a lot of contemporary architecture that is visually striking and beautiful in its own way. But the authors make a valid point in that plopping these buildings in spaces that already are stylistically unified with the express intent to disrupt that unity is just jarring (even if that is the "point"). On the other hand, a space that is made up of that kind of building (like an uber modern cityscape, such as Shanghai or Tokyo) can achieve its own aesthetic coherence.

What does Veeky Forums think?

>not beautiful
>not powerful
>not inspirational

I mean, what else do you think when you walk into a cathedral like Chartres or Notre Dame? They were crafted painstakingly over generations with the single purpose of creating something that was powerful, beautiful, and that inspired devotion to and love for God.

Or what about ancient Roman architecture, which conveys beauty and power at once?

What else is architecture supposed to be if not that plus a dose of utility?

Holy shit
Never expected to see a picture here of the city I live in

It's a pretty building, user. I'm surprised I've never seen it before on Veeky Forums's modern architecture threads

I don't care if we have one or the other, what I ask for is that we pick one and stick to it and don't mix and match. I'm not asking for all cities across the world to look the exact same, I just want the buildings in each individual city to follow and share a specific theme city-wide.

If you have entire cities built in various styles it would probably increase tourism and it gives the added benefit of letting the people choose where they want to live.

The outside is nothing compared to the insides.
The inside actually reminds me somewhat of Dutch culture and smells of nice cheese and spices.

We should go sometime together user

Jesus...

What a fucking abomination.

If I look at the window right now I can see this motherfucker in all it's glory

Are you visiting the IFFR this week user?

t. belgiumcuck

I thought Rotterdam was a really nice city, despite not being a fan of modern architecture. Same with The Hague.
Guess it has something to do with how clean everything looks in the Netherlands, or the buildings not being too tall.

I'll go if you go user, it's pretty comfy
I went last year, cried some tears of sadness and happiness along

I agree, and there's ample precedent for cities choosing to build in one style to preserve the stylistic coherence of the cityscape. One I can think of is Toledo, Spain, where all of the buildings in the city center have to be constructed in the mudéjar style. Another is some of the cities in the American Southwest (I think in New Mexico), where all of the buildings in the city had to be constructed in a Pueblo Revival style.

If you are going to mix and match, then the different city quarters should be demarcated so as not to have jarring shit.

I live in Kralingen myself

>preserve the stylistic coherence of the cityscape
This is the church of Lovö. The first stone parts was made in the 1100s. The yellowish part in 1746. The wooden roof, probably from the late 1800s-early 1900s.

1746-1150=596~600

Now, imagine that you're making an ultra modern addition to a building from 1418. That's the church of Lovö in a nutshell.

Why do the Dutch do the awful things they do?

Some cities are doing their best to preserve and sustain classic architecture. Other city's like my hometown went the other way and are actively breaking down pretty much all pre-war buildings and building modernist/brutalist concrete blocks. It fucking sucks.
Hell, I'd prefer that ugly amalgamation in your pic over the shit they're building here.

Form follows function

Not gonna lie I think this looks kinda cool