Balkanization of Russia

Is it destined? Would it be better? Why didn't it happen in the past?
>inb4 1991
Would humanity survive/how and when would it go down? Would China and Nato split the influence? Would they be liberal democracies or something else? Which nations would be successful and which not and why? Would it look like pic related or different?

General discussion on this incredibly interesting and complex and potentially real issue/event in the future.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-37OiDjsk
lahti2016.fucongress.org/en
discord.gg/aGBd7J
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>East of Urals joins EU/Nato
>Siberia falls under Chinese influence
>EU and China have border, new cold war

Bump

>wanted to shitpost about shrinking rossiya pop
>google and see they're growing at a whopping 0.2%

>Is it destined
No but without Putin it seems likely
>Would it be better
World without Russia is objectively better but power vacuums always gets filled
>Why didn't it happen in the past\
Authoritarian rule and suppression and luck
>Would humanity survive
Assuming no terrorists get a hold of nukes and bio weapons nothing horrific should happen, but many will die in Russia
>How and when would it go down
Can't say when but prolly when Putin dies or some time after. How is a complex alt history larp session I don't feel like doing rn
>Would China and Nato split influence
Undoubtedly, China is already gaining influence in Siberia, they have a real edge up
>Would they we liberal democracies or something else
If they join Nato yes. Otherwise is prolly just oligarchies and business as usual without some really good leadership
>Which nations would be successful and which not?
Siberia definitely. Far-East potentially. As for the European side, not good unless they get SIGNIFIGANT western aid and even then it'll take a lot of time for them to become self-sufficient
>Would it be like pic related
Prolly similar, but again it could go many different ways.

Btw, Siberia would be successful cuz oil but also might be very corrupt cuz of this. Far-East could be good real estate for Asians who want to free overcrowded places like Japan and Korea. The scenery is beautiful and Sakhalin is rich with oil as well. Only draw-back is the cold, but it has plenty of coastline. The Japanese would almost certainly retake Kurils tho and maybe Sakhalin.

>Thinks this is just Ruski hatred
>Doesn't realize how thin a strand Russia's economy and politics is holding onto right now
That strand is Putin btw

>East
Sorry, meant West

Damn, that would be a crazy world
Far-East would be comfy af without Russian oppression and more people living there. And it'll be warmer with each passing year thanks to bergers

The Siberian and Far Eastern Republics couldn't work in the modern day. They have the perfect combination of massive size, low population, non-self-suffiency, desolate climate, low population, and lack of effective borders to prevent them from surviving as independent states.

>why didn't ethnic Russians separate from other ethnic Russians
Russia will NEVER Balkanize.
Russians, ethnic Russians, are majority on roughly 90% of Russian territory, and they are 80% of Russian population.
Most of groups in Russia have no intention of leaving Russia.
"Troublesome Russian minorities'' are literally just Chechens (whooping ONE million), and who are now pacified.
Stop creating these retarded threads.

China will continue to colonize Russian territory, and it will become easier for them to acquire control of that territory over time.

China is also colonizing Canada, and we'll see how that goes.

Give me one evidence of ''Chinese colonization of Siberia''.
Pro-tip: there's none. There's seasonal Central Asian workers.
That's it. You're pulling this out of your retarded ass, and you probably read it on Veeky Forums and decided it was real without checking it.
Chinese can't even colonize their own remote regions, let alone fucking Siberia.
Okay, so Russia won't Balkanize, and it won't be ''colonized by Chinese'', so what's your next retarded idea?

In order for a nation to Balkanize, it needs to have subdivisions that could theoretically function as independent nations. Serbia could not function as an independent nation. It's too cold, too sparsely populated, for that to be even a remote possibility. Same applies to the far east.

Are you this ignorant about every topic

GREAT PERM
R
E
A
T

P
E
R
M

Let’s make it happen lads

Just yesterday all of Russia's border states seemed the same way. Ukraine had been a part of Russia about as long as the US has been around.

Russia is in the process of getting Ukraine back. Russia is like the Mafia, you can never truly leave.

Serbia has, so far, survived independently, though it hasn't done a good job of it.

>merimutt education
Listen, Jahnny Americana, there's this little something called an EEZ, a small remote patch of land could be worth millions, there is 0 chance Russia would just give away all that exploitable land to some dispersed "natives" that barely populate the area. Russia would sooner nuke itself than give all that away to some savage nomads. But I don't expect you to know jack shit about how anything works, you're just another underage outcast who thinks with his microdick's fantasies instead of being barely knowledgeable

>World without Russia is objectively better
t. hohol diaspora

>Russia is like the Mafia, you can never truly leave.

GOOD. Ukrainians are Russians in denial. Their "independent culture" is an invention of the 20th century promises by communists who thought that splitting up Russian culture would make them look more like a federation of states, with the implication that would help them absorb other communist states. Truth is, they're all Russian. The concept of Russian, and Rus before that, was to counter external threats and to unite a linguistic and religious family together. There's no point for them to resist that connection.

No, he is right. Russia will balkanize is literally a meme that not even serious American geopolitical circles accept as possible reality.

That's wrong, though. Ukrainians are Turkics in denial. Even their own first constitution admitted it.

Balkanize into what? Even losing a small bit of territory seems unlikely, loosing massive natural regions just because some steppeniggers live there would be a hell of an event that's for sure. Refer to there is literally no feasible way Russia could be stripped from it's exclusive economic zones without being nuked

Balkanize into what? Even losing a small bit of territory seems unlikely, loosing massive natural regions just because some steppeniggers live there would be a hell of an event that's for sure. Refer to there is literally no feasible way Russia could be stripped from it's exclusive economic zones without being nuked

>Khazars were jewish mountain peoples

Oo the cringe

Yeah, that is what I agreed with. Not even American high leadership believe this.

You sure you tagged right user?

I hope it's PERManent

Yeah, sorry, just expanding

just like american revolution never happened because they were ethnically same amirite?

>This
It's like how despite the fact Kaliningrad is virtually entirely Russian, their is still a decent seperatist movement there cuz of geographic distance and a desire to identify with the regional history even tho it wasn't their exact ancestors (Like how G.I.s in ww2 wore Indian face paint). Prussia will rise again!

Are you retarded? Russia has 10th-11th largest economy in the word. Which is not bad for a country with a population smaller than Bangladesh and Indonesia.

Are Americans this stupid? Majority who lives in Siberia and Far East are White European Russians.

>Big economies and empires never fall
>internal corruption doesn't exist in Russia

Please refer to

it's not always about race, they are still distant and incredibly rich in natural resources yet they don't benefit from that because everything goes to moscow

Wrong.
Wrong.
Ukraine always had a distinct identity (I mean, since the fall of Rus' to Mongols), which in the end developed into a separate nation, at least in Western Ukraine.
East of Dnepr is another story, but Western Ukraine is mostly not Russian. They don't consider themselves Russians, and there are linguistic and cultural differences.
Even though obviously they are same people by origin, who diverged, due to Polish influence primarily, and later external and internal nation building.
But you can't fucking compare Ukraine and ethnic Russian regions in Russia.
Russia is so vast, yet they barely have a different dialect from Smolensk to Vladivostok.
Can't possibly be compared to this.
Again: Russians are one of the most homogeneous ethnicities in every sense.
Russia falling apart is fantasy-tier.
Russian Empire already fell apart, but what remains are the core, Russian lands.
Only way Russia will Balkanize is if you do it artificially after occupying them. And that is a hardly conceivable scenario.
>this ignorant
>doesn't provide any facts to back up his claim
So I thought.
Please, people here literally know shit about Russia. Most of ''knowledge'' about Russia in West are just evolved stereotypes.

>Can't possibly be compared to this.
ok dude good argument

You're comparing a bunch of colonies which are separated from their motherland by an ocean separating, and ethnic Russians leaving Russia...because reasons.
There are literally no separatist movements in Russia.
People who declared as Siberian number in low thousands.
As I said, Russians are incredibly homogeneous people, there's very little differences which you can then turn into another identity.
There's also zero reason for Siberian and Far Eastern Russians to separate, and then probably become Chinese or Japanese bitch.

Ocean doesn't matter, economic reasons are enough.
>There are literally no separatist movements in Russia.
lmao ok

I find it hard to believe this was actually a thing, the Komi having a proper state but have been ever since pushed north or russified.

What about Kaliningrad? Also, what about the fact Siberia pays more into Moscow than it get's out + the fact they are separated from the Russian core by mountains? It doesn't matter their population is low, Saudi Arabia has a low pop, but is a regional power cuz of the oil money.

Who are the Komi anyway? And what's it like there today?? Berger brainlet here.

basically a finnic speaking nation who lives in the European side of the Urals, they had their own duchy were vassals to the republic of Novgorod and finally integrated into Russia in the 1500s. I haven't been there but it's likely mostly rural with snow, forests and reindeer herding (akin to the Sapmi). Most of the areas in the former territory have been russified and is now what we know as the Permsky Krai, which included the territories in pic related plus the southern part of the current Komi Republic.

Siberia isn't completely isolated though, its population is basically stretched across a chain of people that starts from Omsk, which isn't even that far from other parts of European Russia.

Sounds comfy. Do you think they'd function as a nation with their fellow Finno-Urgic bretherine? It'd be nice to have more Finno-Urgic nations then just Finland, Estonia and Hungary.

China is going to have too many problems to deal with influencing a brand new state with a history of antipathy towards china on its northern border. They're running out of clean water in less than 20 years, have a vocal middle class who want to live like the west, but can't in the party system, and Hong Kong continues to flip the finger at the party.

Interesting, cuz this map only seems to show that Siberia IS separated from core:

>Cities West of Omsk are in Tatar dominated ethnic areas
>small border area would be easy to bottleneck an attack from the West

Will China go full warring states again in our lifetime?

I think its more likely we'll see city states of the coastal cities (Nanjing, Hong Kong etc), since they can ship in commodities and have a large middle/merchant class. They trade with Japan, Australia, and the US, while the interior becomes warbands fighting over rice farms and dams. There's too much centralization in the cities to have warring states/3 kingdoms, since the power in China is in the cities, not the population now.

look at the map more closely, Omsk is not far from chelyabinsk and other cities, which are themselves not far from the Volga Federal District and Ural Federal District, both places that are solidly Russian and connected to the Muscovite core. also 'Tatar dominated' areas are meme, they don't even form a majority in their own ethnic republic and there's no real separatist sentiment.

it's hard to tell, there is many factors that differentiate them from Finland, Hungary and Estonia, mostly western influence. Finland had Sweden, Hungary had Austria, Estonia had both swedish and germanic influence. The Komi remained isolated except from paying tribute to the russians and their young likely being integrated into society over the ages specially since the conquest of Siberia. They'd need to be integrated into the western world for that to work. To me it sounds really complicated but what do you think user?

So, a bunch of russian LARPers want to leave to revive for no particular reasons

I guess you could say they are... putting the Russia back into Prussia

I think it's possible. Many millennials in Russia it seems believe that the western system is superior to their own and wish to embrace it.

pRussia when?

Why can't Russians LARP as Prussians? Let them also learn German for good measure. German Prussians were mostly assimilated Slavs and Balts to begin with.

>Ukraine always had a distinct identity
LARP

>East of Dnepr is another story, but Western Ukraine is mostly not Russian. They don't consider themselves Russians, and there are linguistic and cultural differences.

The Ukrainian linguistic reconstruction is literally just recontextualized Russian. The cultural differences are so insignificant they're limited to localized foibles.

>Even though obviously they are same people by origin

Yes.

>But you can't fucking compare Ukraine and ethnic Russian regions in Russia

Absolutely anyone can. The differences within Ukraine itself are similar to the differences between Ukraine and Russia.

>yet they barely have a different dialect from Smolensk to Vladivostok.

Language is the only real marker between modern Russia and imperial Russia. It's the only defining difference, and between Ukrainian and Russia not drastically so. (tak = yes / tak = so, this is bullshit user and you know it).
>their is still a decent seperatist movement there cuz of Soros bucks

ftfy

I understand Russian but can't understand Ukrainian.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-37OiDjsk
you might be interested, here is a glimpse of a man speaking in Komi if you're curious about their language.
The issue is it seems like the Komi are still living a rural lifestyle as the only nations they interacted with are russians and tatars.
>Millenials
it's likely that they will strive to revive the culture (hopefully) but I believe the komi loyalty lies within Russia.
lahti2016.fucongress.org/en
There is also this, I think it's led by Estonia and Finland so there is hope but it will not be easy.

aren't they intelligible at all?

Not to me. Also I'm not a native Russian speaker so that might be the reason.

>I understand Russian but can't understand Ukrainian.
That's because your IQ is south of 80. I guess the difference would be similar to Spanish and Italian. Maybe I exaggerated a bit "Ukrainian" as a distinct culture is ultimately a tool to divide one of only two powers that could threaten the current power hegemony. It's just a meme to keep Ukrainians sucking oligarch cock and Russia weak.

discord.gg/aGBd7J

Redpill the plebs

It is LARP but that doesn't change the fact many people there do not consider themselves Russians. In fact, they hate Russians.
This is not quite true for Eastern Ukraine though.
>economic reasons
By your logic Moscow or SPb would separate too.
It doesn't work that way.
>lmao ok
Still no facts to back your claims.
>Kaliningrad
An enclave populated by Russian colonists after WW2.
Yeah, totally a hotbed of separatism, you can imagine.
>Siberia pays more into Moscow than it get's out
It doesn't ''pay into Moscow''.
And no one realistically gives a fuck.
As I said, Russians are a very homogeneous nation, and all your reasons are utterly irrelevant.
Russians will never separate from Russians.
I don't know what do you want me to tell you?
If it makes you sleep easier, keep believing that Russia will fall apart on some non-existing lines, dude.
I kinda think you're American so you don't really understand the connection between people of same ethnicity.
It takes a lot of divergence for same ethnicity to split into different groups. Divergence which usually arises from occupation or geographic separation.
Such factors don't exist in Russia.
I repeat again, Russians are incredibly homogeneous nation, you don't have a real dialect from Smolensk to Vladivostok, let alone some other more significant differences.

This seems really interesting, are there any books relating to it? about the future of russia in relation to balklanisation or about their political makeup in general.

>By your logic Moscow or SPb would separate too
no they wouldn't because they are cities
>Still no facts to back your claims.
I only live in Europe and almost every country here has separatist movements but I guess Russia doesn't have any lmao

>In fact, they hate Russians.

Exactly. And that's what the west sells them, along with a neat oppression narrative, in order to keep them weak and in line. They eat it up too out of sheer emotional sentimentalism. The commies sold it to them before and they ate it up until they realized the commies were never going to let them go. Can you honestly say that Ukraine forcing it's own identity is better than unification? If they united they would form a coherent nation with shared principles, religion, vaguely similar language roots, etc. They'd be far more unified than Britain or the US at the moment, which are just countries with a collection of nations inside them.

For arguments sake if a revolution occurred in Russian Siberia it wouldn't survive, Moscow would put it down as fast as possible, they wouldn't care about the casualties just like they did in the Chechen Wars.

>Yeah but muh USA seperated

With SIGNIFICANT foreign aid, direct military support and the Atlantic Ocean helping them, so for such a situation to be comparable Russia would need to be involved in a serious war with other countries and the rail lines between Siberia and the Western side of Russia would need to be permanently severed which would probably result in mass starvation of Siberians without massive foreign aid through Vladivostok which would take months maybe years to organize.

>kuriles and karafuto japanese
I like this thread.

There are none, because it's a totally fantastic scenario, that is parroted by Westerners who don't know shit about Russia.
Again, it's not like modern Russia is some A-H tier conglomerate of regions and nations, Russia is 80% ethnic Russian, and those ethnic Russians are majority on 90% of their territory.
Next biggest group are Tatars and Bashkirs, who by now are arguably just flavored Muslim Russians in all aspects, and have no intention to separate.
Only region where some form of separatism is realistically possible is Caucasus, Chechnya and Dagestan.
But ''Siberia'', ''Ingria'', ''Karelia'', all that bullshit doesn't exist, that's just Western fantasy.
People in Siberia don't see themselves as ''Siberian'', they see themselves as Russians, not much different from a Russian in SPb or Rostov.
Sure, there are some regional flavors and what not, but compared to countries like Germany, France, USA or Spain, Russia is incredibly homogeneous.

>karafuto
What was it like under Japanese control?

obviously it won't happen if the government is in the position to stop it

An independent Kalmykia would be cool. They're the descendants of Mongols from the time of Genghis, the only Buddhist majority region in Europe and their national sport is chess.

The war in Syria alone is putting massive strain on their military. All the modern equipment they have is a meme. The bulk of their Tanks, Planes and the like are Soviet era and falling apart. And they didn't react that way in 91'

I would love to see an Asian style, Buddhist country in Europe with beautiful steppe everywhere and peaceful temples to meditate at all day with the smell of incense in the air... Sounds really comfy desu...

>I only live in Europe and almost every country here has separatist movements but I guess Russia doesn't have any lmao
Dude, c'mon, at least pretend you are offering some fucking argument, because this is just shitposting by now.
No, Russia doesn't have any relevant separatist movements.
Few hundred people LARPing somewhere are not really a ''separatist movement''.
Also, show me those separatists in Poland or Norway or Hungary or Czech Republic or Denmark or...you get the point. Stop shitposting.
That won't happen though, nor do Russians desire it much.
They don't even desire Ukrainian territory, now that they got Crimea.
They just need a neutral and pacified Ukraine, and that goal they already accomplished more or less, since Ukraine is in absolute chaos and in a few years or so they will do another ''turn'' as their ''nationalist'' hysteria leads to a breakdown.

Ah, but now we come to the other argument often used by these charlatans...Russian government collapse!
In reality, this Russia is the most stable Russia in their history.
There will be no meltdown of Russia.
But this is all pointless talk, people are so poisoned by stereotypes it's impossible to explain this shit.
Similar with ''human waves'' in WW2, or ''10 to 1 in numbers'', and other shit.
People love to talk about Russia but sadly they know extremely little.

This is not even taking in to account the fact that many Russians, no matter how separatist they feel about Moscow would rather side with Moscow if Russia was fighting a conventional war with anyone let alone the USA.

Its like saying Texans would accept Russian support and military occupation if there was a chance they would get independence from Washington. People get more nationalistic and patriotic when their country in under-treat, the entire Russian mentality for the past 1000 years is:
>Horse people are gonna get us
>Polish people are gonna get us
>Swedish people are gonna get us
>German people are gonna get us
>American people are gonna get us

They are paranoid crazy fucks that would never en-masse side with a foreign power over Russia, they're like the Chinese which is why Russian minorities typically exist for generations even after they have migrated away from Russia.

I see, first it was that Russia had literally no separatist movements and now it changed to "relevant" separatist movements. Nice job kiddo

>Moravian separatism
What brainlet made this map?

Comfy separatist states to live in:
>Isle of Wright
>Bavaria
>Occitania
>St. Peters

Everywhere else is shit.

Yeah, because separatist movement doesn't equal few dozen people LARPing in a group on Facebook.
And that map is fucking retarded.
Show me that Ingrian separatist movement, PLEASE.
>Mercia
What in the actual fuck.
I'm really starting to suspect you're American.
And Putin is playing greatly to their instincts.
Putin enjoys incredible support there.
Fuck, he'd win elections easily even without any rigging and bullshit.
However, he's old paranoid KGB fuck who doesn't want to leave any room for some destabilization.

>go to protest in russia
>putin calls KGB and everyone gets arrested
>media forgets to mention it
>lmao there's no separatism in motherland they would be on streets otherwise

No one is saying it could happen with Putin in charge (unless he REALLY fucks up). Refer to

Protest =/= separatism.
But whatever man, keep shitposting.
Nothing will happen even when Putin is gone.
Modern Russia is too stable for any massive destabilization to occur, at least in the forseeable future.

>implying you even know anything about half of those

only a russian could be this delusional about his motherland lmao

Who will succeed Putin? Does he have a guy lined up? I know he swaps President spot with some other dude but I figured be was more of a puppet. He doesn't have any sons I hear so it's not going to be dynastic unless he picks a son in law but I figure that since he seems so interested in the continuation of Russia he wouldn't pick a family member unless they were "worthy" of succeeding him anyway.

Why does everyone assume it will collapse after him? I am sure there are more FSB (modern KGB) cronies that are as clever as he is that can take his place.

>offers zero real arguments for the entire discussion
>posts some map made by some guy on Veeky Forums as "proof"
>now calls me Russian
Jesus fucking Christ man, get a grip, and accept that your fantasy has no roots in reality.
>Ingrian separatist movement
You can't make this shit up.

Who knows. Whoever replaces him probably won't be so dominant.

Or well connected. Putin maintains a delicate balance of powerful men who all want to see each other dead.

>da comrade the glorious rossija has no separatism is invented by capitalist pig you no proofs

>That won't happen though

I didn't ask you for a fucking prediction Guy. I asked you what would be best.

this, you're arguing with an idiot

I've been to Munich and Bordeaux+Toulouse and I am visiting St Peters in the Summer later this year, I admit I've not been to the UK let alone the Isle but it looks like a good place to set up a tax haven and probably has low crime rates idk.

>extremadura will become spain

Yeah but in the meantime he "strengthened" Russian state and society enough to deal with the fallout of the end of his rule.
As I said, no collapse for Russia in the near future.