Mental gains thread

heyo im back again
what books has /fit been reading?
and what books does /fit recommend?

Mein Kampf

I read No More Mr Nice Guy last week, it was mindblowingly good and a little scary how accurate it was regarding my situation. Really hepful book, would recommend.

you might like models by mark manson too

zorba the greek > epictetus > marcus aurelius > nietzche > stirner

these 4 books will turn you into a literal god I promise you

Yeah I read that before and got NMMG from the further reading part.

im reading the emperor death of kings btw
its pretty good

What do you get out of these books besides being 'cultured'

perhaps a new view of society?

those books don't make you cultured at all, maybe the first one, second two are reddit tier but have seriously helped me through all of my lifes hardships and probably the 2 most important books I've read

overall they gave me a spark that led to me improving my life, craving social, accepting all hardship, ridding myself of narcisstic shyness and spooks, and I don't drop my spaghetti anymore

Well then, I guess I'll start with zorba

last four are names of philosophers, search lit archives for what order to read nietzche in if you get that far

I can't promise those books will have the same affect on you, I'd look at lit self improvement recommendations too, while reading those books I had also taken mdma for the first time which had an affect on my confidence, and was also meditating a lot

Finished up life lessons from a total failure. Been looking for what to read next

Is Zorba really that good? I find it hard to take the message from fiction but the stoics make it pretty plain.

journey to the end of the night, it is fucking boring but I will finish it anyway

Zorba the Greek both inspired me to begin reading lit and philosophy and to notice and try to dial down my narcissistic shyness. You can probably skip it if you want, it is just something I really enjoyed.

Well that does sound appealing to me, I've been thinking a lot lately about how I act and how my antisocial tendencies are just my ego trying to protect itself. I'll check it out.

Here you go lads

Hmm and why should I trust this

>no catch 22
Shit list, disregard at all costs.

the inability to use the word 'literal' correctly and delusions of grandeur apparently

Steve Martin joked that if you study philosophy you'll learn enough to crew up your life. I heard that a bit late.

I very strongly recommend that no beginner read any philosophy. Instead, you should definelty read "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant (1926).

"The lives and opinions of the greater philosophers" is the subtitle, and by that Durant means the classical western philosophers. Beginning with Plato and Aristole, rolling through Voltaire and Nietzsche, ending with Santayana, and visiting nine others in between, this is not a skimpy survey but rather an in-depth summary and explanation of the work and points of view of the headline philosophers. Although it is written in digest form, as an introductory handbook, it certainly contains more information than any two or three college courses on the subject.

And it is much more enjoyable than a college course. The writing is English at its best with complex thoughts presented clearly and in understandable detail. And with humor-- real humor, not philosophy psuedo-humor. For example, one theme repeatedly addressed by these philosophers is the difference between men and women. That all but two of these great thinkers were bachelors provides ample room for commentary, and Durant sends a stream of off-hand speculations their way. I won't quote any here; you should read it yourself and enjoy the book, one that might change the way you think about philosophy and about our world.

Becoming human by Jean Vanier is good if you hate yourself and feel self pity

oh wow that actually sounds like a fun read

I just finished reading "Rome and Jerusalem: Clash of Ancient Civilizations". Now I'm currently breezing through a book of "Celtic Myths and Legends", and plan to start reading my Landmark Herodotus I got in the mail.

Living the dream

im reading emperor series
its good. i like it. however i probably should have gone with something else as my first book ever

Oh is it your first book on Rome? I can give you some good beginner reccomendations

its my first book period. i have never read a book that wasnt for school

Don Quixote and War and Peace alone are a combined 2300+ pages, fampai

fucking casual

Anything by author Victor Davis Hanson.

Master historian, well written, not dry prose, parts of history you were never taught.

>it's all good

Currently reading Life on Air by David Attenborough.

>tfw born too late to get paid to travel the world searching for never before seen animals and tribes

>les miserables

Make it less obvious next time.

Made my resolution of reading one new book every month.

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell in January
Meditations by Marcus Aurellus in Febuary
The Prince by Machiavelli in March

Thinking of reading Ben Shapiro for April.

Do you guys know where I could download Models by Mark Manson other than torrents? They are blocked at my dorm.

My grandfather gave me a copy of Think and Grow Richard by Napoleon Hill a while ago, but I never got past the preface if only because it seemed a little grand and self important. I know it's considered a classic, does Veeky Forums recommend?