Bread Thread

Thoughts on bread?

Other urls found in this thread:

acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2009/august/whole-grain-cereals-popcorn-rich-in-antioxidants-not-just-fiber-new-research-concludes.html
aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/whole-grains.html
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4809873/
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1188.full
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jam.12204/pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2538051
youtube.com/watch?v=zwO855GU01Q
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/94.full
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Trump is a piece of shit nazi

Alright, let's get this party started

100% Whole grain bread is an awesome way to get more whole grains in your diet

White bread is trash

Can you explain the nutritional difference?

>buy a loaf of bread
>how the fuck do I count calories for this shit
>okay let me just get this ruler and scale
>I'll just eat some oatmeal instead

>tfw you could be 200 lbs with 5%bf
>tfw bread exists so you never will be

not him but just look at the nutrition facts user, white bread has rly no nutritional content, my stone wheat bread is cheaper per calorie and has decent (6 grams) of protein per slice. be that guy at the store who looks at the facts.

Whole grains/wheat retain the bran and germ, which is where the fiber, most of the vitamins and minerals, and phenolic compounds are. White bread is just the starch with some iron shavings added into it.

Bake it yourself. It'll be cheaper than store bought, better than store bought, and girls are into that sort of shit.

Why do you need bread when there is chicken? I just don't understand.

The enriching of wheat flour has pretty much made this point moot.

Plus, are you eating enough bread that the difference between a few slices affects your diet that much? Swapping your bread choice isn't gonna do shit for you - just eat the one you like.

>no nutritional content

Whoa, sorry, I must have missed when we stopped referring to carbohydrates as nutrients.

i only have bread when I eat fibrous foods

>The enriching of wheat flour has pretty much made this point moot.

I wouldn't say that, it just has iron and some b-vitamins added back. Whole wheat bread has more fiber, manganese, copper, zinc, selenium, manganese, and potassium. The germ is also rich in fiber-bound antioxidants, which when released in your gut by bacteria that ferment fiber, help to prevent colon cancer.

acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2009/august/whole-grain-cereals-popcorn-rich-in-antioxidants-not-just-fiber-new-research-concludes.html
aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/whole-grains.html

And of course white bread is shit for blood sugar.

>He bakes bread for grills
I het you lift for them as well...

i love bread but i try not to eat it anymore. i use wraps if i want a sandwich. sucker for good italian or homemade though.

delicious but unnecessary

The most important part is that it digests MUCH slower, over the course of 3-5 hours rather than white bread that digests in about 1-1½ hour.

t. diabetic

It's horrible for you

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4809873/

Yeah, not doubting that, just like, we're talking about minor differences here. I just don't think bread composition is really all that important when you're having at most, four slices a day?

Know what I'm sayin? Like if you're eating a loaf of bread a day, yeah sure, but then maybe chill on the bread man?

>we're talking about minor differences here

In some cases, like manganese, magnesium, zinc, and potassium, it's 2-4x more. And then there's the other benefits of whole grains absent in refined grains, as talked about in those articles. It's a significant difference.

If you're eating only 4 slices of bread, wouldn't you want to get the most out of it and have that be 4 slices of something that is not only more nutritious but can help prevent cancer, lower your blood pressure and cholesterol, protect against diabetes, etc? It's an easy choice

No, because the two slices I have aren't going to make a statistically significant difference when I eat a bunch of veggies and shit every day to get my fiber and vitamins. Bread is not a large enough part of my diet for me to shell out more money for bread that doesn't taste as good so that I can get an extra mg of zinc.

Also, if you think that people are developing type two diabetes because of their bread choices, you're missing the big picture here.

>I don't want to spend more money

Alright, but that doesn't change the fact that it is the better option. I just hope you're eating some other source of whole grains at least and not trying to replace whole grains entirely by just eating vegetables.

Real non american bread has 230 to 300 cals per 100g.

Rice pudding, tapioca and semolina has 85cals 3.5g protein
Bio yogurt has 50iah cal and ranges from 5 to 8g protein.
Flavored yogurt has 80 to 100 cals and 6g protein
Low calorie chocolate sundae is 110cals 5g protein
Chocolate milk is 60g cals 4g proteinPasta is 150cals 4g protein
Same for rice
Beans and lentils are 90ish with 6 to 9g protein

Tldr bread is calorie dense shit, there are better sources of yummy carbs

Sourdough and pumpernickel tastes so goodtho

4 medium slices increases inflammation

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/5/1188.full

You realize bread comes with a weight label right?generally 400g or 800g. Bout 200 for baguettes and other phallic ones.

Are americans so stupid they cant do fractions?

>Every bread thread on Veeky Forums

DUDE, CARBS, LMAO

> 180 w/ 6%
> Eat beagles daily

What's your excuse again?

>Sample size of 10 (ten)

Into the trash it goes

They are yes.

One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.

>adequately powered controlled feeding trial

Back to study design 101 with you

Shhh no thoughts only garbage now

And yet you yourself failed.

I'm not American but as far as I know A&W are a piece of shit brand who can't compete with McDonald's and instead of accepting this they are like Americans aren't smart

Yes, your criticism was complete garbage as already pointed out.

they also have a ton of phytic acid which actively blocks mineral absorption

get rekt wholegrain cucks

A trivial amount unless your whole diet is shit retard

Phytic binds to a select few minerals and slightly lowers their absorption, although people who eat phytate-rich foods regularly harbor phytase-producing bacteria in their gut that break down phytates, and phytic acid has some health benefits too

>eats beagles daily
you monster

This is bullshit, monogastrics including humans not adapted to seed eating all have low phytase activity. grain legume based poultry and swine feeds actually need to be supplemented with exogenous phytase to prevent impaired growth from low mineral bio-availability. iron and zinc deficiencies are widespread in developing countries that survive off staple grains and legumes and there's effort to breed/transgenic engineer crops with reduced phytic acid levels for this reason

Best bread coming through

onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jam.12204/pdf

>100% Whole grain bread is an awesome way to get more whole grains in your diet
>White bread is trash

all that matters is calories . you probably dont want bleached grain tho

the whole wheat meme is pretty retarded, unless you need more fiber in your diet

>although I know nothing I feel compelled to reply

>In vitro
Discarded

Do you expect them to measure the ability of poop bacteria to degrade phytate while it's still in their asses?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2538051

watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=zwO855GU01Q

>no change in absorption of non-heme iron
>the type of iron your body already regulates the absorption of so it doesn't absorb too much

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/71/1/94.full

Like it, don't think it's something people need to go out of their way to avoid.

I don't eat a lot but sometimes I like a toasted slice of that dense sourdough rye with just a thin layer of butter.

I also keep a loaf of shitty bottom-of-the-barrel white sandwich bread in the freezer, because plain toasted white bread will settle my stomach if something's made me nauseous.

I fucking love bread. That shit is delicious! Sadly, it gets me fat, so I'm trying not to eat it. But, I want some right fucking now.

literally hitler

All of those are mostly water.

And?

The protein is still there.

What if you're on a bulk and you've hit your macros and simply need calories? Love me some baguette.

You are lucky to have fast metabolism, most people cant digest that kind of shit so they get bloated and fat.

delicious, but storebought bread is degenerate.

Also, gluten is hard to digest, so glutenzines are key.

Complaining about gluten

You sound like a dumb white broad

Non-heme iron absorption decreased with phytic acid, look at fig 1

Your paper's showing increased ferritin reabsorption and increased non-heme iron absorption efficacy in the absence of phytic acid on a low heme iron diet, that long-term diet is a more important determinant of iron status, which I'm guessing is from inefficiencies in the former process and new demand from growth

>lucky to have fast metabolism,