Overtraining

Lets have an over training discussion, there are a lot of conflicting views so;
>is it a meme?
>is it real?
>how much is to much?
>is it overly feared?

go!

Arnold did 5 hours a day an he's DYEL, imo if your not doing at least 10 hours a day why even bother

>inb4 energylets

if you can't manage a 10 hour gym sesh your an energylet

Its a meme purley a sickness of the mind, i.e a fucking pussy

>is it a meme?

Pls redpill me on this, I want to train chest and lats more than I do (once a week)

evidence desu?

it's real but none of us have the work capacity to actually overtrain

training too much to be able to recover with any amount of food/sleep is actually pretty easy though, but not recovering in time for your next workout is not overtraining

Burden of proof is on those who make thoes claims not those who say its untrue.

How many times per week should I hit chest to make maximum gains?

overtraining is just a combination of many things, stress included and all of that builds up. that's why everyone should have deload weeks roughly every month or two depending on how stressful their daily life is. the only people who don't believe in it are still new to lifting. hell it can even happen to new people. there are tons of people here constantly asking when their progress is so slow and then they link up their 6/week routines with insane amounts of shit.

CNS fatigue is a different matter entirely and you never want to experience it because it takes ridiculously long to recover from.

t. Thinks he's fucking spartacus for running his high rep PPL

If it's a meme then why don't routines recommend daily 5 hour lifting sessions?

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Of course it's real. I had many gains robbed of me from overtraining. Since I switched to a lighter full body routine my gains have exploded. There's an optimal level of physical activity, just like everything else.

>none of us have the work capacity to actually overtrain
ROFL speak for yourself

How frequently and for how long do you work out? what splits do you do?

Lifting for 10 his a day sounds hecka boring and stfu Arnie is natty that's why he's small

As a general rule give your muscles two days rest. So yes you can easily train chest and lats more than once a week.

>Arnie is natty that's why he's small

before when I overtrained, or now?

Its a meme, listen to your body you can tell when you need a rest.
It takes a stupid amount to overtrain.

I work 12 hour days in a physical job 14 days straight and train for hr to hr and a half every day after work, usually for the 14 straight then ill take a couple days off and start again. Been making good gains and lifts are still going up.

you almost certainly didn't overtrain unless you were a collegiate athlete

you just didn't recover and accumulated a lot of fatigue

real overtraining is a months long thing and results in a large performance decrease that doesn't come back quickly

This

>you just didn't recover and accumulated a lot of fatigue
That's what overtraining is

Inb4 you start acting like trappy spouting technical jargon like you're some kind of authority, I know what over and I know what training means.

Also I play college rugby so

college rugby is not a real sport

How much would you guys say lack of sleep affects gains if it's an inconsistent thing?

I lift at like 1 am and my sleeping wavers from 3-10ish to 3-11am if i'm lucky. I don't feel too bad, but i definitely have bags under my eyes and facially look pretty tired. But it's never at a point where I can't make it through my routine for the day

Neither is baseball but hey, what you gonna do.

been doing SS for around 2 months plus headcrushers/curls, situps with weight, hyperex, and some plank.
takes around 1.15hs 3 times a week and don't really end up tired... what could I add to the routine? Or maybe add another day with something else?

cardio

Not enough sleep is tricky breh. You can power through it and your body obviously adjusts, but if you have bags under your eyes that's definitely a sign you ain't sleeping enough senpai.

You may wanna get that shit under control before 20 years pass and you look way more haggard than you expected.

Just my 2c tho familia, you know your body better than anyone.

Worke harder

Over training is a difficult state to reach and unless you completely ignore everything your body is telling you to a severely retarded extent (athletes desperate to win etc) you ain't going to get there. It's an actual medical problem, it's not just stalling and feeling sore.

It's much more likely that you're under recovering or overreaching.

why would you want to add in more stuff? doing more work doesn't mean better progress. are you progressing? if yes then be happy and save additional volume for when you really need it.

if you add too much shit now, once you stall you will need to increase it even more because you will be adapted to such high volume. unless you want to spend 3+ hours at the gym, only add in more work when you stop progressing.

yeah i do capoeira twice a week too.. that prob counts as cardio as we move a lot... and recently started 1.5hs of rings/handstand training too, but even with that I don't end up very tired
probably should try to lift harder, but i'm still dyel and scared of getting hurt

overtraining isnt a meme

I'll tell you my experience.

a year ago I started doing olympic weightlifting. I didnt want to limit myself to just snatches and clean&jerks so I basicly combined it with powerlifting.

I was basicly training 6 times a week hard hitting everything. I did heavy squats 3 times a week and heavy pulls 2 times and a heavy deadlift 1 time. For upperbody I basicly was doing bench 3 times a week with heavy weighted dips, pullups etc. Basicly I was doing bodybuilding as accesory but I took it dead seriously

I was training so hard but I was giving some lifts the priority so I was going extra hard on these. The ones I tried to excell at I basicly made very little progress because I couldnt recover from the volume and intensity I did. Things I took lightly I progressed the most at.

Everyday my legs and back would feel sore and tight af but I would keep going. I was so tired every fucking day my life suffered and I struggled with school. I was bulking the entire time btw.

>tldr: overtraining isnt a meme but most of you wont come close to it so train hard. If you feel like shit every day(sore/tired and mentally tired) you probally need some rest

doing more work/volume does mean better progress, assuming you can recover from it

if he adapts to higher volume that just means he has gotten bigger, stronger, and has more work capacity now

the science is pretty clear on that one

> a college student claiming to be an authority on anything

here we go again

So what are you supposed to do when your work capacity is so large that you require 3 hours in the gym?

I don't want this

I'm an authority on the definition of over and the definition of training, maybe once you get your GED you can join our ranks

you can increase training density, you can do lower volume phases that will make you more sensitive to volume when you come back, you can distribute volume over more days in the gym

you are like a decade away from having this problem if not more, you might not ever get there

not really. more work = spreading yourself throughout more exercises = slower progresses on them all

if you only do main compounds 3x a week and then suddenly add in 10 more exercises you will progress slower on all of the exercises. this is how it has always been and how it will always be. that's why specificity is king when training. from the moment you do an exercise your form starts degrading and you are getting less benefit for each subsequent exercise. why do you think that people do the most technical stuff first?

it's not a meme, people don't know what it actually means, keep in mind that this board is filled with neets who do ss. overtraining is caused by too much stress on the body, neets don't have a reason to be stressed, all they do is sit all day, eat, sleep and lift. in these conditions it's almost impossible to overtrain.

do it, frequency is key to getting stronger

you're retarded as fuck

i said nothing about adding more exercises, i said more training volume = more gains (if you can recover) and this is supported by every study ever done on the subject

as for doing the most technical stuff first what the fuck are you even babbling about? i said nothing about exercise order

you're a retard

You can hit upper body like 3 times a week. Just vary the sets and reps between heavy medium and light.

Happened to me 20 years ago when training as cyclist.Coach was a gerk he basically know tits about everything,training sessions were like 40 to 60Km long daily on places with strong winds,with temperatures that during summer was nearly 40°C in the shadow and there it was little to no cover from the sun.

I was kinda used to it as I trained with mountain bike since the age of 9 and had no problems,but this cunt pretended lots shit like if we were training for become professionals cyclists in a tight suit.Long story short one day a fire break through the usual area we trained so I went alone to train myself on mountain passes for a good week,one day he comes at 16 PM yelling me that I do train first on plain ground and not to waste my time innahills,I was feeling kinda fuzzy,able to maintain 35km/h despite winds but the smell of burned ground was kinda getting on my nerves,at one point there it was no wind,asked him about ground temperature I was feeling a cold breeze without sweating and he went pale,turned the car around,went back to home and I could not force myself past a certain point.He stopped a couple of times,hospital was nearby but he didn't care to bring me there,reached home vision went black,couldn't hear a crap,a doctor that was in my parents cafe sees me wobbling around,user forget about your bicycle for at least 5 months he says while checking me.

For 5 months I could not run past 2kms without fainting,could not lift shit past 3kg,walking was ok but every time I sweated like a cow,the 8 flight of stairs to reach our apartment felt like a mountain,doctor said it was a heatstroke but I had no symptoms of it,other than that during said period I had vision black outs which lasted a couple of seconds and happened straight after getting up from bed or chairs.After a year or so I was good to go,told coach to fuck himself out and went back to train myself alone for four years straight with no problems.

no it's not a meme and it can happen to you, this happened in my first year of lifting, many gains were lost

Its a matter of learning your limits. For me, I've learned the difference between feeling sore/tired and feeeling run down. Pushing too hard makes me feel on the verge of getting flu symptoms, irritability, sleep loss etc. I take 2 days rest when this happens. Easy.

I'll stay on the safe side, best to skip leg day all together