Overhead press

dyel newbie here who's been lifting for 3 weeks doing SS
i've been progressing on my other lifts but not OHP, is this normal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R_bEInW1tPE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
youtube.com/watch?v=qzGOcEuct54
youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8&t=239s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I dunno but make sure you know your form properly. I didn't when I first started, and I fucked my back doing ohp.

i've watched papa rip's instructional that was linked in the sticky
I'm not overarching my back and keeping a neutral position
i'm working out in my bedroom but don't have a full body mirror though, should I buy one?

No homo but also make sure you clench your ass hard while you ohp, this is the very important part I neglected.

And no why would you need a full body mirror don't be vain.

ohp is difficult to progress on and requires a ton of volume

SS prescribes aggressive progression and has almost no volume

you do the math

something like Hepburn method or something else with a fuckload of volume works for OHP, not so much 3x5

clench your ass tight enough to rip your boyfriends dick off

and give it time, this lift grows slowly

Ohp is the hardest to progress on.
Tips
>Do higher volume
(Deltoids are the bottleneck, and volume will usually help them)

How much volume though?
When I started out I did 3*10 and eventually switched to alternating 10+ sets of two on heavy days with sets of 10-25 reps on volume days.

Honestly, you should probably get your 5rm up so you can do the bar for at least a set of 10 before you try to add volume.

>Do days with wider grip
(Same reason as before. More delt activation means better strength when you go back to a narrow/medium grip)

>Wide grip behind the neck press
(You guessed it again, the delts are holding you back. More training for them means better pressing strength)

Optional training
>Band training
(If you opt for narrow grip [which is bad for people with long Ulna {risk for TFCC injury} and advised against by most record holding pressers of yore] you will fail at the top. This means you're having trouble locking out. Band training helps with that

>Partial reps from the bottom to middle of the rep
(With a wider grip you fail off the bottom. This helps if you use wide grip)

Thanks, noted

>Do days with wider grip
wait doesn't this cause a moment arm between your bar and arm? Rip warned against this

For efficiency's sake that is in fact what many lifting gurus say.

The thing is that all he was right about the elbow being further away from the line of power in one plane/axis it's not totally true.

You don't want your grip so narrow that your elbows Flair. It's better to take a slightly wider grip so that your wrists are in a good position and your elbows stay underneath the bar without flaring.
Your width will be subject to the length of your humerus and your forearms.

You still need to do a day or two with wider grip so that you can train the deltoids/upper back more and decrease tricep focus.

i think this is a little excessive for where OP is at

wider grip OHP puts more emphasis on side delts, which are not going to be his bottleneck on a normal shoulder width vertical forearm OHP

it's going to be his front delts all the way

also wide grip behind the neck press can be ruinous for shoulders depending on flexibility and shoulder anatomy, i'd probably stay away

it does, it will also cause more flaring of the elbows and incorporate more side delt (but you really shouldn't be training side delts with a barbell press anyway, just do some lateral raises if you want side delts)

delts are what is scientifically referred to as "bitch muscles" and require a ton of work. after two week of no progress i suggest you start doing 5X5 instead of 3X5.

You right. This is for much later. I didn't need it until after I was pressing bodyweight

as an alternative to wider grip ohp, you can start doing dumbbell press as an assistance exercise. emphasizes the side delts a lot more too compared to with a bar

what is bodyweight

if 225+ that's very impressive, i'm still not there after 5 years but i don't train OHP as often as i used to

My problem with dumb-bells is that I hate how my arms are currently not the same strength
I find it hard to create a mirrored action in both arms

Delts are hard to build.

The simplest solution for you, I think, is adding some "volume sets" after your regular SS training. Do the warm-up, then the 3x5, then some 30~50 reps at 70%-80% of your current 3x5 load (rep scheme doesn't matter at all, it might be 3x12 or 10x5, just get the total reps done).

I'm also doing this for Bench Press btw, now that I'm getting back to lifting.

Thanks for the advice but my ohp is literally 20kg atm
would lifting 5kg (the bar) even do anything?

OHP will be slower than most but you should still be progressing, especially when new. 5lb every 3 weeks is easily achievable when you've just started lifting.

if there is an imbalance of strength in one of your arms, then your barbell overhead press will probably suffer too.

id say still think about adding dumbbell press as an accessory. eventually your weaker side will catch up with dumbbells, you just gotta do it for a while

or if it really bothers you that much you can do single arm dumbbell presses too

If you're lifting 20kg atm, 70%-80% of that would be 14-16kg. Yeah, that would be enough.

Don't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread...

OP: remember to breathe properly. That is, exhale while going up and inhale while going down. This helps to "cusion" your core as you descend, makes you more stable, and helps you don't fuck up your back. Good luck.

Oh, i thought you meant 80% off, gotcha

don't do this, just do the valsalva maneuver like you do on any heavy lift

I joined the gym as a new years resolution and still going strong. So far I only bench press and kettlebell. I am sadly aware that I lack the brute strength to powerlifting.
What is my next step?

Thanks mate, already doing so!
Also, I bought an oly bar but still need to buy the plates
what do with my old bars and 1" plates?

Don't listen to this guy. It might work for him, who knows, but advising against valsalva maneuver for a beginner is not good advice at all.

This.

>valsalva maneuver

>valsalva maneuver
Am I being meme'd?
I don't remember reading this in the sticky, please don't do this to me guys

> valsalva maneuver
> fedora.jpg
> literally the most well know maneuver from sports to medicine

>Am I being meme'd?
Not at all. It's the first step to assure good form on any compound. When Rippetoe says to inspire and hold your breath before getting under the bar to squat, before starting a deadlift, before pushing the bar from the rack on bench press, that's literally what the valsalva maneuver is.

I'm The PT recommended me doing so, but I never heard of the valsalva thing. I'm looking on google but I don't understand exactly what's it about. Can you ELI5?

So I hold my breath whilst trying to unblock my ears by trying to exhale?
When do I exhale then inhale?

You don't, this way you also train pulmonary resistance.

Bill Kazmeier says that delt gains are all about short rest periods. It's bro science, but it seems to work.

Make sure you're tightening your glutes, and past that, don't be a pussy.

>Can you ELI5?
Inspire and hold your breath in. This is the valsalva maneuver. You should do it before starting any rep on any compound bc it assures you that your core muscles will be tight throughout the movement (unless you let the breath go). If you expire during a heavy rep, your spine will be the only "rigid" structure on your torso to take the load, as all your core muscles will relax - and that's how you snap your shit up.

Mate I'm a noob and even I know that PTs are full of shit
years ago when I first tried getting into lifting at a gym, the """""PT"""" gave me some elaborate 15 different lifts to do on machines and dumbbells
along with crazy gymnastic skipping shit
you can't trust most of them

Sheeeeeeeeeit, I was doing it that way, before the PT approched me and told me to release and inhale.

If you got any doubts regarding breathing during lifting just watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=R_bEInW1tPE

Thanks
though I swear the Hulsinator is a meme

Also, I bought an oly bar which I'm using for warm up sets, it says it's 20kg but I swear it isnt that, feels closer to under 15
when I started I found it hard to even lift 20kg but i can lift this oly bar like it was 10kg before i started lifting
surely I can't have made that much progress to fuck up my perception of weight in 3 weeks?
Or do they just lie with the bar weight rating?

It's talked about in ss. Uh, it's not that complicated and most people do it naturally.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

What ethnicity is that man? I can't look at him without having a strong feeling that something is very wrong.

I'm a noob, but are you eating enough op?

you progress slow in OHP, it's normal

I suggest you do it with dumbbells instead of a barbell btw, will develop your muscles more evenly

if I have to do OHP with a barbell, I prefer behind the neck. with good warm up and reasonable weights

OHP gains are mostly related to optimal routines. You don't really need to worry about them if you are hitting any other press and all of your posterior chain hard. you should still do them, but don't expect to make linear gains on a compound lift with such small amounts of muscle being the primary movers.Its also the only compound lift where adding reps/sets is MORE important than adding weight to the bar. You can microload 1 pound gains but its really a waste of time unless you are doing meet prep for an OHP competition which doesn't really exist. I make the best gains doing tons of face pull type movements, and only barbell OHP in the 50-60% effort range or 1 rep maxes.

Just do 5x5 if you want to get into power lifting. Just don't expect to be hitting those large lifts guys post about. It's all about progression and sticking to your routine till you get what your looking for.

Overhead press 185 at 175

I just want to become a man and not remain a child
I'm 24 now, time is starting to catch up to me and I've always been skinny/skinnyfat
but I want to be strong
I want to leave behind my weak body

How much are you OHPing? You may want to deload and build back up (I wouldn't count it as a legit deload since you haven't actually progressed yet)

The problem with dumbbells is as they get heavy the cut the range of motion significantly which hurts your strength out of the hole relative to the top half of the lift. And BTN Press is very demanding mobility-wise for the shoulders, probably not a good idea for someone who's almost a complete beginner.

realizing how to use lats and brace your core helped me a fuckton

aka basics of form on the lift

youtube.com/watch?v=qzGOcEuct54

learn this
embrace this

There are easy ways to progress when your 5 rep linear progression stops. As a first step, after your reached 3x5, you increase the weight and do 5x3, the next session 3x5 again and so on, then you add a 4x4 in between. If that stops working, deload and try again, and slowly reduce set number, this should take you to 60 kg if you keep at it, but you should do more than 1,5 times a week ohp

There are no shortcuts, it takes hard work and dedication to get there. Gotta stick at it and push yourself.

Do you want my honest advice? Replace the OHP with another bench session and start doing upright rows if you want good-looking shoulders.

Make sure to use dumbbells or do snatch grip high pulls instead. upright rows performed the way you usually see them is literal impingement of the shoulder,

I did this at 28, I'm 30 now. Fucking do it. You want to be a man? Stop being a bitch.

i started at 23

Don't listen to this guy. Exhaling will make your ribcage collapse and put your spine in a precarious position.

good job user

damn good job user

fook dood good job

what would you consider a lot of volume to be? 5x8?

A lot of people struggle with OHP son.

>TFW I hate other exercises but OHP feels good to lift for some reason

>behind the neck press can be ruinous for shoulders

fucking this times a million. behind the neck press will crush your rotator cuff between your humerus and scapula bones. Here's a good video comparing lifting form and anatomical mechanics:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8&t=239s

How bad is a 135 lb OHP max at 5'11 163 lbs?

Pretty good you're coming up on intermediate

Shieeet u looked horrible in the before pic. Looking good now tho, mirin pretty hard nh