Sup Veeky Forums, is there any real man here compared to a bitch like me...

Sup Veeky Forums, is there any real man here compared to a bitch like me? So i am builiding my own ""gym"" right now and i have screws with nyloc nuts/bolt nuts whatever this is called. Pic related i think, looks the same. Now i had to take them off because i fucked up putting them correctly(they werent put all the way down tho) and i heard you cant reuse them. As i am scared now that the bench will break and i will die on it,I wanted to ask. If i put those locks on, then take them off, and put them again. Did i fuck up? Or is it save? Some say there isnt a problem reusing them. Appreciate any help

Other urls found in this thread:

boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get new lock nuts, you fucking imbecile. There were lock nuts for a good reason. Go to your local hardware store, size up the diameter, match the threading, and spend your spare change on new lock nuts.

You made a bad post, OP, and you should feel bad. Reeee

But like they are locked from the moment you put them on the screw or from ehen tou push way way way down?
Cause the one i put on the second time after fucking it up is holding pretty fucking strong

Nut and bolt shop workerfag here.

They are called Nyloc nuts. I've seen them be reused with not troubles. But if you feel like you want new ones, take the old ones with you so that the store can size them up for you. If you go down without a sample they wont have any idea of what you want as there are about 5 different threads for that same size nut.

You're the dingus from earlier hahahah. You didn't fuck up, just get some new nuts and use those.

You dont even need that plastic shit on the nut its not gonna loosen itself suddenly its a stationary bench. How much of the bolt goes past the nut when its tightened? If you have more than the height of the nut it will be fine stop being a pathetic numale how can you not figure this out on your own? Just visually inspect it before and after use and you will see theres no problem

Thx bro, and to all of the others too. Also is one washer enough? Some people use 2 on each side. I use one( for each side)

>You don't even need that plastic shit on the nuts
Safety takes seconds, negligence takes lives.

To answer OP's question, it should be good for a few more fastenings. I've fastened some with an impact driver, taken them off and reused them, and they still held fine.

Jesus H. Muthafuckin Christ, OP

If you have a big box hardware/home store like a Lowes/Home Depot in the area, see if they offer an absolute beginner class one weekend evening.

It'll get you out of the house, give you some valuable being non-autistic practice, and you might actually learn something valuable. Being able to build shit for yourself is a good reason to get fit

They will work a bit less well at preventing the nuts from getting loose. They will still work better than a regular nut though, at least if you only reuse them once.

Whether it is save depends on the machine. If there is shit than can fall down on you, then I'd rather get new ones.

The reason they shouldn't be reused too many times is that the threads on the bolt will tear up the nylon ring as you thread it on and off. If the nylon ring is intact you'll be fine. Or just buy new ones if you're scared.

MechEngFag here. Nyloc nuts shouldn't be reused if you want the full retention effect of the locking element (the plastic). That being said, these nuts do not maintain torque; they just hold the nut onto the bolt if they come loose. If you properly torque the nut and bolt (read: past the proof load) they would stay together without any extra locking provisions, but would be deformed to the point that they would need to be discarded if you ever took them apart. If you use stainless fasteners, you may not be able to get them apart without breaking them unless you use anti-sieze.

tl;dr nylocs are like $.30 each. Just buy new ones (not stainless).

If you didn't use square aluminum you're a fucking moron. Why build something that weighs 700lbs when you could use superior aluminum and save hundreds of pounds?

Also, you can use locktite. It's strong enough to hold flywheels on at thousands of RPM's, it can hold together a stationary rack. And YES you can reuse them, we do in the shop all the time. If the plastic isn't messed up, it's fine.

>is this thread even real life
>20017
not even knowing

this is why handyman shit should be taught as a mandatory class in highschool

came in to say the same thing. use BLUE loctite/threadlocker, not RED.

RED is for when you need to break out the torch and burn that shit to remove it. I had a sportbike front sprocket nut that wouldn't stay on and I ended up using red loctite on it. impact wouldn't take it off until i heated it up long enough, it's just that good.

blue will come off with any reasonably high torque application but will resist backing off from vibration etc.

also this really belongs on /diy/ or some shit.

nylon nuts are expensive and fucking stupid

just jam two nuts together, they will not loosen

boltscience.com/pages/twonuts.htm

fucking casuals

Locknuts can be resused as long as they don't spin off by hand. As for the amount sticking through, at least 2 threads. Those standards are good enough for aircraft, so they'll be good enough for you.

I see these at work sometimes. Counter-intuitive, but over-tightening these will not do any good. Get them tight enough and they shouldn't spin off.

Fucking retards here.

As long as you cant remove it by hand they are fine, if you reuse them a lot they will just lose their extra "sticking" power but its not like you need because its a fucking bench not an airplane. There are people who use normal locks on that don't require a wrench to put them on benches and it holds up so why the fuck shouldnt nylon nuts that are still way more tight than those locks hold up?

Like holy fuck use your fucking brain

I remember calling you not a man several times this morning. Holy shit, you're really not a man.