Running

How the fuck do I get to run longer and not feel like I can't breathe? I'm running for time and my lower legs feel like they are caught in a vice grip and want to explode. that's one of my issues, my legs keep giving out/getting to tight/cramping, shin splints. And the whole breathing thing while running, I just can't seem to find a good rhythm. Any pointers or advice from ppl experienced in running?

Oh yeah, I'm 31 5'9" 185lbs. basically overweight/beer belly.

Running is not a fat persons game, tubbby

run slower/walk, go running consistently

all my weight is around my gut, my normal weight 3.5 years ago was 145lbs. Life happened and I neglected my body due to work.

checked, thanks user

This, pick a slower pace you can keep and work on your distance first. Use a c25k app and follow it 2 to pref 3 times a week. See if you can get decent shoes, get them fit at a runners shop.

Don't overdo it, and give your joints and ligaments enough rest. Running is fairly stressful on knees especially.

I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs, not really fat tho, having the same breathing issues
i would assume i just get used to it at some point if i do c25k?

what's a good c25k app that doesn't want to track your shit constantly? the one i have right now won't start if you don't give it access to your location and then it constantly keeps the location service active in the background, which is less than ideal

Just gotta be persistent

>How the fuck do I get to run longer and not feel like I can't breathe?
You keep running and push yourself to expend your out of breath time with every run. After some time you start to differentiate multiple stages of out of breath and learn to suffer through them longer and longer.
And somewhere between hating yourself and battling the urge to throw your lungs out, your out of breath state moves further and further away from the starting point.

You need to work on building distance. Distance is more important at the start than speed. Run 3-4 times a week to achieve this. Once you can run the distance you need, then you work on improving the speed. You do this by running until the point of exhaustion every time you run, and pushing yourself a little beyond it each time. Similarly to weights, this going beyond will facilitate improvement.

Bear in mind that there is a point where no matter how much you practice you can't seem to go any faster, but you shouldn't be anywhere close to that.

Not OP but I reached 10km on my runs a few weeks back

Should I keep increasing the distance or lower the distance and work on speed?

I don't really care one way or the other, I run for heart gains

Speed
10K is totally adequate unless you want a marathon

Depends on your goals m8. You already have your heart at a reasonably good place if you're running that distance in an hour or just under an hour. This is where you can choose to go for speed or increase distance to marathons and beyond if you feel up to it. There's no right answer.

thanks for all the advice anons, it all makes sense. I hate cardio with a vengeance and think it's retarded, running anyways, I don't have this problem when playing sports or I just ignore because I'm having fun. guess I need to make myself enjoy running.

thanks again!

after 25 minutes of running without stopping my lower right leg feels like its swollen with blood and my right foot eventually goes numb until i massage the leg. whats up with this?

I'd set a reasonable speed milestone and work for it
Then increase the distance to match you previous time
goto 1

OP here, I get the same thing. I'm going to say (speaking for myself) it because you're out of shape or your muscles are weak or didn't stretch properly or long enough. I'm taking creatine and it seems to lessen the amount of time I feel that tightness. Like every muscle in your lower leg, below the calf has contracted and wants to jump out of your skin

feelsbad.jpg

Thanks anons, I guess I'll keep the same route and work on my speed

the thing is I have no idea how to set reasonable goals
Right now I'm doing 10,6km runs in about 55min, any program I could follow?

Just be more confident.

Feet will swell with blood when you run, so if your shoes are tight fitting they will squeeze your feet, and after some time it could hinder the blood flow.
Feet are often different size, so it could only affect your right leg.

Hmm, interesting advice. I think you're on to something, I get horrible anxiety attacks before I run. This may be the most important advice of all.

Run more. The more you run the less it will suck.

>Right now I'm doing 10,6km runs in about 55min, any program I could follow?
idk about programs, bet there are plenty online, but you can just go off what you have.
Aim for 50 minutes, that would be 10% increase in speed, seems reasonable enough.

Not this guy but in same position, I'm up to running 14/15k but now want to focus speed.

How do i go about it? i,e what distances/pace should I be doing?

I used the 5k to 10k app and the mixed runs really helped with speed. So like a mile jog, then a few reps alternating 2 mins each fast and slow runs, then a mile cool down jog.

It seemed crazy hard to me at first but I surprised myself by being able to do them.

fuck running and switch to swimming. better for your joints if you are a fatty.

Thanks, i really hate running with phones though. What's the basic break down of the plan?

So 5km would be 1 mile jog, 3 miles of slow/fast timed alternating, then the 1 cool down?

It changes week to week, but generally it's one recovery medium length run, one mixed run like above, and one long run.

Do you have a good running technique?
I had a bad heel strike, and shin splints, could not run longer than 10 minutes without my lower legs bursting from pain.

>185lbs
Thinking to myself "that's what I weigh that's not really overweight..."
>5'9
Oh

I just started running again for the first time in years and managed a piddling 1k at a very slow pace. The very next day just walking was difficult, though the soreness has abated a little today.

How long will it take for my legs not to feel like death the day after running?

Like 3-4 times? Same as with every other muscle group

>takes 3.5yrs to gain weight
>thinks he can just jump back into running like yesterday

it took you time to put it on and itll take time to take it off. Slowly build up your running ability, go read couch to 5km. Itll take time tubby but you have all the time in the world. Good luck

hes trolling you

As others have pointed out you should try to run slower. A very common mistake among people new to running is running way too fast. A tip is to run slow enough that you would be able to have a conversation, i.e. not breathing loudly.

Think of it like an old sports video game where you are running or bicycling or whatever, there is always some sort of stamina bar that depletes the faster you run. There's always some enemy runner who runs super fast in the start of a race but slows down to a crawl half way, changing colour to red and panting visibly, to illustrate that you need to make the stamina bar have enough energy left so that you can use it all for the home stretch. This applies to real life running as well.

how long can the average person run without stopping for?

Im 5'9 220 and i been doing pic related for the past 2 weeks. I use the c25k app but its the same shit

The average westerner? If theyre a Brit or American, probably less than a mile or two. Most people are chronically out of shape compared to 50 years ago.

Learn how to swim asshole.

I couldn't run a fucking kilometer without shin splints and running out of breathe, then someone told me I ran like a retard.

I was using my feet to push me, like, not the natural spring from my arch, but putting my feet on the ground and then pushing myself forward with my toes. I got told to run with my thighs, like I'd knee invisible ninjas in the nuts.

Ran 3 km right there.

I'm a racewalker and I used to run distance, I can assure you that technique is the most important thing. Just start with little distances bro, take a long run once a week, rest well. Always consume shit like chocolate milk or beer after running.

Check your VO2 max if you can, you need to get to some place you are able to measure it.

Breathe in and out on the same foot.
Breathe through the mouth.

I have the same issue with legs. Strangely, it never happens when I run with someone else. It's some retarded psychological thing I guess.

Are you stretching your hammies, quads, hip flexors, and calves? Like is saying, running on your heels is a huge fucking problem. Land on the ball of your feet or on the middle of your foot, never your heels.

1. Heel strike is a major cause of running injury
2. Switching from landing on heels to landing mid-foot or further up will feel like taking a parking brake off of your body

>I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs, not really fat tho
Assuming you don't lift that's over 15% bodyfat

I've got fairly big legs from playing soccer for a long time, but was out of it for ~3 years so my endurance is shit now but i didn't loose much muscle i think

>running beyond 10k
>good for the heart and knees
Yeah no

Are you doing it for losing weight? Then bad idea, choose sports like swimming or tennis. Running is boring as fuck

I have a marathon in October.

I am able to run 5k in about 30 mins, 10k in about 1h10.

What training program should I work on to be ready for a marathon?

Try breathing on every step you take, in a rythm,
for examlple in-in-out-out-in-in-out-out...
or do it less frequently if you feel like it