Food general- not just chicken and tuna edition

Every time I see a diet rate thread I'm blown away by how shit people eat on this board. It's always the same shit

>Chicken
>Turkey
>Tuna
>Red Meats
>Whey
>Peanut Butter
>Oats
>Broccoli

That's something like 80% of the dietary posts on this board.

Does anyone else love food, cooking and experimenting with new flavours and foods? What are underrated foods/services/recipes?

Every couple of months I try out a new website or company and see what's interesting or good. So far I've tried:

>musclefood.com
Great price on chickenbreast and some good prices on "exotic" meats which are just the usual ostrich, kangeroo, sometimes aligator etc, but still a great site

>Graze
Extremely high price for processed generic wholefoods you can buy in any supermarket. Everything has high calories too.

>bristolsweetmart.co.uk & naturalchoice.co.uk
UK only but both great for indian/asian imports and nuts respectively. Great if you want to try cooking new shit at really good prices. 2nd site has the cheapest almonds in the UK I know of.

>HelloFresh
Ingredients in a box delivery service, like graze but DIY. There're a couple of these companies/services in USA too. This was the only good one I found because the produce is actually good and the cooking is basic but not meme bullshit. Reasonably priced with discounts/offers.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/a/5nbmA
skillet.lifehacker.com/divide-multiply-or-adapt-any-recipe-in-one-click-with-1730632423
whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Simplycook
Only tried it because there was an offer for a box for £1. Just condiments, spice mixes and sauces in a box with a list of ingredients you're supposed to buy. Good offer price but pointless really.

>Ravecoffee
Some of the best coffees I've tried

>Cacao/Cocoa Powder and Cacau Fat
Tried these out to make my own chocolate and fucked it up royally. But I use the fat to cook with and the powder to make chocolate flavour everything. Cocoa Powder is one thing everyone should have in their kitchen, it's that useful

>It's always the same shit
Because they provide excellent nutrition, are really cheap and taste good. It's all about efficiency user.

>Kefir
Can't recommend this stuff enough for Veeky Forums, it's like yogurt bacteria but far more healthy. Commercial yogurt typically has 1-2 bacteria which die after 24 hours in the gut, Kefir has 50+ and most of them stick around and build up healthy gut bacteria. They also eat sugars in the foods you eat and shit out B Vitamins.

High in protein, low in lactose and sugars, as cheap as milk and tastes better. Incredible shit

You can buy grains on ebay/amazon for a buck or two and you can make both water and milk varieties and flavour it with old unused fruit peel or whatever you want.

By the same mark- Quark and Cottage cheese are under rated and really easy to make taste great

>Chia Seeds
>Coconut Oil
>Quinoa
>Flax seeds

All things I avoided because of their superfood marketing phases and pretencious vegan hype
All fantastic for cooking and adding to oats and main dishes and getting some more out of less

That said, coconut oil is still expensive here and not really good for anything other than curbing sugar cravings or using as cooking oil. I'm not gay enough to use it as lip balm or sun oil or whatever the fuck the memes are

>Matcha
I've since switched to Theanine tablets because they're the active ingredient but Matcha is just as good, though tastes meh. Theanine negates the effects of caffeine so if you get anxious/jitters then it's great shit, particularly when cutting

Just don't buy cheap chinese knockoff versions on amazon

>Xylitol & Erythritol
First one is great for your teeth and 40% the calories of sugar but pretty much the same taste and texture
Second one is similar but actually tastes better, and is approx 0 calories

These were fucking game changers because I'm diabetic and a sugar junkie. I've used them to make all sorts of shit like:

>Cutting custard
>Protein fluff
>Low cal ice cream
>Low cal high protein cheesecakes

Which brings me to 2

>Protein Fluff
This stuff comes in different varieties but it's usually Xanthan gum
Part of above too but worth recommending on it's own. Turns anything thicker at almost no calories. Cornstarch is good but too high in carbs and cals.

recipe on protein fluff pls

>20g/1 scoop protein powder of choice (casein preferred)
>300-400ml of whatever liquid you want- Any Milk, almond or any nut milk, diet soda, beer, whatever
>Sweetener of choice to taste- For me this is 25g of Erythritol
>5g Xanthan gum
>Dash vanilla

Bonus: Add frozen fruit/berries of choice

I love custard, recipe for cutting custard please?

>Does anyone else love food, cooking and experimenting with new flavours and foods?
not really.

So... A protein shake.

How long do I let it freeze for?

why would I wanna waste more time cooking food than I have to?

I agree with you on the diet thing. I like yogurt or even things that are tasty with low carbs high nutrients.

I would recommend recipe of scallops because they are quick and easy to make.

>Scallops in pan
> 2 minutes on each side

then you are done. You can also add lemon juice mixed in with chopped cilantro. I swear that gives fish a lot of extra flavor.

bcus noms

I really enjoy cooking, now I'm getting into Chinese food

Please more recipe ideas come on Fit do not tell me you do not have taste or anything.

m.imgur.com/a/5nbmA

genuinely interested

get them fibers bros!

I've been doing trycookin to get into it. Easy recipes, maybe a bit too simple at times, but it keeps the ingredients cheap and simple.

With about 3x the volume and thickness. Similar nutritionally but obviously far more satiating and filling and more volume

Takes a couple of hours to reach a good consistency

because making things taste good is worth it unless you're a manchild

Man, you reminded me of chowders and a local dish ()pic related)

It seems like every country in the world with a coast has a local form of chowder. For us it's this:

>tbsp butter
>diced onion
>2 white potatoes cubed
>milk
>smoked haddock or cod or white fish
>parsley and chives

Makes a thick creamy chowder

why the xanthan gum?

My three steps to make anyone a chinese chef:

1. Learn to cook rice properly.

2. Learn hoi sin sauce
>soy sauce
>peanut butter
>brown sugar
>rice wine or any strong sharp vinegar
>garlic
>sesame oil
>pepper or paprika or cayenne

Almost all eastern sauces and flavours are variations of a few ingredients so

3. Buy and use ingredients below

>Star anese + bay leaves for rice
>Brown sugar + vinegar + garlic base for sauces
>Sesame Oil and Oyster Sauce for sauces, flavouring and cooking
>MSG for meat and eggs

Done, you're now Chinese

because otherwise it's a shake and not a pudding/ice cream

Why would I do all that shit when I can just boil or grill 8 chicken breasts, microwave some steamed broccoli, scoop some rice out of my rice cooker and add 7 random sauces to each Tupperware container for way cheaper and way less work?

you don't have to stand over a roast, you have to stand over a grill.

I get that effect from using frozen fruit combined with protein powder though. It becomes a thick airy cream like you describe. Why add something extra to that?

>Why add something extra to that?
because he want's something different that whatever frozen fruit and protein feels like

xanthan makes it thicker

The reason casein thickens is because the proteins/aminos stretch out. Xanthan works slightly differently but thickens rather than fluffs, so the combination = thicker creamier ice cream

Alright. Fair enough.

kys

>not living in bongistan
>not paying $4/lb for chicken breasts
it's the little things you didn't even know existed.

Chili mac master race, one pot in the morning lasts all day and hits all my macros.

Living.

no, fuck you, you shit eating homo

I invented a new dish recently, I call it the "fat fuck's omlette", it's great for bulking and is delicious. I won't list proportions, because I never kept track, use common sense. Mistakes to watch out for are using too much cheese or overcooking the whole thing. It's not supposed to be dry.

Take bacon strips and fry them crispy, take them out and dry them on paper towels. There's probably too much fat on the pan, remove the excess.

Grate yellow cheese or cut it into tiny cubes, whatever's easier and faster for you.

Take that bacon, put it in a bowl and crush it into tiny pieces with a fork. Add eggs and cheese - set aside about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cheese though. Whisk together.

Fry that mixture like you would fry and omlette. Turn it, sprinkle the rest of the cheese and fry the other side. Again, don't overcook it.

food is literally just fuel for your body, it isn't a social event and the taste is secondary.

My typical meal as a worker in UK but now is a lot fucking worse because quality meat in Poland is expensive especially when i have no job because of the uni.
Seriously if you live in the west, have a job and still eat shit you should kill yourself it's just so fucking easy to afford and cook quality meals

>I invented bacon and eggs

Aaww someone is past his bedtime :3

White processed mass produced pasta is a crime against the culinary

Proper pasta is one of the best things ever invented, I'll never understand why people buy it processed and tasteless, nevermind the ridiculous carbs compared to protein of processed vs made

Also keeps me 600 under defecit.
And taste so fucking good.

yeah it is.

fuck you.

100g lentils 100g of brown rice (dry)

700 calories 35g protein

I'm poor, if I could afford to buy large amounts of cheap made pasta I would.

>Seriously if you live in the west, have a job and still eat shit you should kill yourself it's just so fucking easy to afford and cook quality meals

Meat is expensive as fuck in Canada. Chicken is like $7/lb

it's called fat fuck's omlette user

>The cheap and unhealthiest processed meat we know of
>Add some saturated fat
>Add some more saturated fat and eggs
>Fry it for an extra dose of unhealthy

That's not bulking, that's being a fat unhealthy fuck

fat unhealthy fuck's omlette?

it's a dirty bulk dish a.k.a. fat fuck's delusion

poor little bune

Ice cream pudding bro. Just wanted to thank you. Did some research and will buy xanthan to test stuff. Awesome tip, bro.

Inulin fiber
Collards (nutritionally superior to every other leafy green vej)
Spirulina
Lecithin

are you black?

beer? are you trying to act like you don't know what things taste like? how the fuck is the taste of barley and hops compatible with fucking ice cream?

Seconded, kefir is godtier

Depends on the tuna. Is it canned shit or some nice seared and crusted tuna steak slices?

is pork good for bulking ?
it is like the cheapest lean meat over here

u wish cuck

I love cooking so i picked up a few healthy recipes quickly. I'll share

First recipe: Tofu stir fry made easier (I'm not vegan i just like to change it up)

Ingredients
>2 tbsp sriracha or spicy red curry paste
>extra firm tofu pressed and marinaded
>3 tbs sesame oil (i used olive oil though)
>1/3+ c Soy sauce
>rice vinegar
>A package of frozen stir fry veggies, or you can cut them up fresh. I'm cheap.
>Cauliflower (To make cauliflower rice, or use real rice. I'm allergic to rice so I use cauliflower)
You can eat more cauliflower rice than real rice but dear god, the poots. You can exchange it for noodles too.
>Sesame seeds if you want

Equipment:
>Oven
>cookie sheet
>wok or high/large enough pan to stir comfortably

First the tofu.
>press tofu 1 hour(google it, invest in a press if you like tofu)
I usually prepare everything else so i can just throw it all together when the tofu is done (steam heating the veggies, mixing the sauce, etc)
>Cut tofu into bite sized pieces. Marinade tofu in a baggie with soy sauce and rice vinegar (i just splashed a bit in) for at least 30 minutes or longer ideally
>Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes
I start at 20 minutes and check though depending on the size, how dry it is, etc

For the rice: put some cauliflower (raw) in a food processor. One head will make about 3 1/2 cup portions (give or take)
>Add it to a skillet and fry it up, no oil. Move it continuously until it cooks through

For stir fry:
>Whisk all of the sauce ingredients together. >Add everything except the rice to the wok
>Stir it up for a couple minutes so the sauce absorbs into everything
>add rice or serve over the rice
>Sprinkle with sesame seeds or don't and enjoy

Pick related to help you customize.

it's super quick since you pre-cook the ingredients then throw them together, and baking the tofu makes it pretty idiot proof for someone new to making tofu. Doing everything while the tofu drains will save even more time.

I've just never heard of white people eating collard greens.
maybe it's because I had good parents.

major gyno detected

Those ingredients sound very familiar haha
So far I've tried vegetarian lo mein, chow mein, orange chicken and now that sticky pork belly

So how are you supposed to form a diet for yourself if when up until this point in your life you've been a literal baby who can't cook anything and starves themselves if there isn't anything microwavable in the house when their mom isn't home?

What's worse is that I'm also a very pick eater. Has anyone else been in this situation before? How did you learn how to eat right? I'm not even overweight, I just can't lose the few pounds I want to lose because I don't know how to keep my calories down!

Mini omelettes, also idiot proof
Makes 4
Ingredients
>3 eggs (You can use just egg whites for this recipe!
>omelette toppings
I used yellow and orange peppers, baby spinach and sausage. If you cut up a whole pepper you can freesh the leftover and have it quick on hand for these.
>Spices to your taste
I use a little salt, pepper, and occasionally garlic powder

Equipment:
>A muffin pan, normal size
>cooking spray
I like coconut oil

How to make:
>Preheat oven to 350
>line the muffin cups with spinach, peppers, whatever your toppings are
>whisk eggs and spices together and pour over the cups
>Bake for 15-20 minutes
Eggs will puff up but deflate once they cool so it's okay if they burst out of the muffin cups

>enjoy. Can be kept in the refrigerator for a week and are great for meal preppers

I like these because i'm shitty at folding omelettes and it's effortless as fuck plus i only have to cook breakfast once a week.

Food is not for fun, it's just necessary. I live off of tuna, cottage cheese, kraut, mayo, it's 95% of my diet and has been for the past 2 years and I wouldn't change it too much if I had actual money of my own.

>www.fitmencook.com

Thank me later.

If you like salads for your lunch, consider making them in mason jars. Portable, less dishes used since you can eat out of the jar, keeps it fresher in my experience, and if you make a few at once you only have to make lunch once (I love meal prep it's been a life saver for me. Fuck cooking every single night).

So my salad this week was this. Layer the ingredients in the mason jar in this order
>1 serving of vinaigrette dressing
>1/2 to 1 can tuna (in water)
(I used a strawberry vinaigrette but usually use a balsamic or lower sugared one
>some chopped tomatoes
>A few berries
5 or 6 from a berry mix i made of blueberries and strawberries, with a couple grapes in there
>baby spinach
>kale
>romaine
>chopped walnuts

Basically you can do this with any salad, just build it from the soggy ingredients up to the crisp ones. When you're ready to eat shake it to spread out the dressing and ingredients a little, pop it open and enjoy.

This definitely spices up the usual tuna lunch

what a miserable existence.

Non autists like to enjoy their food, no one is wrong for finding fun in food.

Gluttons.

How to make protein powder not disgusting:

So some people can't stand the taste or texture of protein powders of any kind (I tried whey, hemp, plant, some of almost everything). Some suffer through their shakes, but others like me like to not absolutely hate what i'm ingesting (because then i'm too likely to not finish it or not even use it by "convieniently" forgetting)

So here's a couple quick recipes you can use to make your shakes not taste like shit if you're having trouble getting them down.

Chai tea shake (I've posted this before if it looks familiar)
>Ice
>One frozen banana (skippable, just add more ice. I need the potassium so i usually use one as long as the sugar fits with the rest of my meals)
>cup of chai iced tea
You can brew before hand and chill or use extra ice and use it hot
any black tea will work
>1/3 c milk
I'm lactose intolerant and use coconut milk, i reccommend this or almond milk
>1 tsp almond butter
So this is one of the most important ingredients imo. Something about it helps smooth out the grittiness of some protein powders. Get smooth. You can use peanut butter too but make sure it doesn't have added sugar or sweeteners.
>a few shakes of cinnamon and nutmeg (Optonal but it helps cover up any odd flavorings in the protein powder)
>a half tsp of vanilla extract (Optional but it adds an extra something)
>and of course, a serving of your protein. This works with vanilla, and also worked with a plain hemp powder (vanilla doesn't work as well with the hemp powder)

Just blend it all up and enjoy

Another one

Carrot-grapefruit shake (Lower in sugar)

>1 c grapefruit juice
>1/2 c carrot juice
>ice
>protein powder (i have only tried this one with vanilla)
>1 c coconut milk
Or almond milk or whatever

I liked this one but if you hate carrot juice and hate grapefruit you won't like this one, obviously.

Gluttony is over-indulgence retard, not enjoyment in basic bodily needs.

Exercise is enjoyable but by your logic it's something horrible only done because you have to.

>hoi sin sauce
Thats not hoi sin motherfucker
Hoi Sin is PLUM!

You described SATAY SAUCE.

Sorry, but I'm passionate about food. OP is right, I come here for ideas on how to balance healthy fitness-boosting meals, and tasty food. But its depressingly bland.

As for contributing:

>Broccoli, steamed
>cabbage, boiled in spiced broth
>brussels, boiled in spiced broth
>peppers, oven cooked or fried til soft
>onion, same as above
>chillies, same as above
>garlic, same as above
>meat of choice,
>beans in chilli sauce, but tomato would work well too
>mix together with spices
>sort out portion sizes, often gives 3-4 bowls worth easy.
>can throw in leek and carrot too if you want for variety

Simple. Hard to fuck up. Fucking delicious and provides enough to feed you for several days.

bonus if you keep the water from the boiled cabbage/sprouts and use it as the base for a soup or sauce.

You can totally sub coffee for tea btw, great alternative to anyone currently addicted to starbucks

Mini meatloaf (for those of you who don't care about eating red meat once in awhile for a change of pace. You can probably do this with turkey though)

Ingredients
>Ground beef (however much you think will make as many mini meatloaves as you want. A small square pack was 6 meatloaves for me)
>onions
>Garlic
>Garlic powder
>basil
>onion powder
>salt
>pepper
>honey (about a teaspoon or so depends on how many you're making)
>ketchup (tiny amount i didn't use more than a teaspoon)
>egg (Can skip if it's sticking together all right)

Equipment:
>Muffin pan
>oven

Make em
>Prehet oven to 350
>mix ground beef, onion, spices, egg
>distribute evenly amongst the muffin cups
>whisk honey, ketchup, a little garlic and pepper and paint it on top of the meatloaves (This can be skipped)
>bake for 15-20 minutes
>serve with cauliflower mashed potatoes (steam some cauliflower, can use frozen. Mash it. There you go.)

>not living in bongistan
>not paying $4/lb for chicken breasts
wat?

I can get 1KG of fresh british chicken breast for £5-6
I can get 2 smallish breasts for under £2 (thankyouLidl)
Shit, I get 2 fillet steaks for £7-8, sometimes much lower if its nearing its best before, then its 30% off.

And these are supermarkets, I've heard a lot of butchers do it even cheaper...

Mealprep snack ideas

Peanut butter/almond butter
>Get mini jars
>Add almond butter/peanut butter to bottom
>put prezel sticks/celery/apple slices/whatever on top
>Seal that shit up and it's ready whenever you get a little munchy

Fruit and yogurt parfaits
>yogurt (I use dairy free because milk makes me puke)
>choices of fruit (I like blueberries, strawberries and bananas.)
>Just layer the fruit between a serving of yogurt (1 cup for my yogurt)

You can top it with granola, chia seed, or nothing, you can use any fruit you want. I usually eat half of a mid-sized mason jar when i have one so i only make two a week

Quick fix snack
>get some tuna
>little mayo (i use a vegan spread that's lower in calories and shit that normal mayo. idk i just don't like the idea of normal mayonnaise)
>mix it up with some spices, maybe chopped celery if you're not lazy
>make lil sandwiches with it using dill pickle chips a la cracker stackers

>ants on a log. Don't doubt a classic.

"Jesus christ if i don't have chocolate i'll scream" chocolate mousse

This makes a small bowl's worth but I split it into two servings

Ingredients
>1 medium, ripe avocados
>4 tsp sweetener
maple syrup, agave, honey, cassava syrup. i used the latter which only needed 2 teaspoons to get the right sweetness. Experiment just watch it. it's not meant to be super sweet it's a chocolate mousse
>2 tablespoon baking cocoa powder
>1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
>Pinch of salt
>Fresh fruit and nuts optional (I just eat it on it's own)

Just mix all of that up. Put it in the fridge for an hour or freezer for a half hour to set it and enjoy.

I eat half and it seems so rich I end up losing the craving for awhile

That's all i've got for now, hope i've helped someone out there. all of the recipes are easily customizable since nothing really involves a chemical reaction (Like baked goods are hard to customize because one wrong move can make it shitty) so it's easy to adapt any of them to whatever your diet needs and all of them are meal-prep friendly meals too

Oh one more thing
skillet.lifehacker.com/divide-multiply-or-adapt-any-recipe-in-one-click-with-1730632423

If you have trouble reducing recipes that would feed huge families when you live alone or with one or two people, use this thing. You can reduce it by different amounts and it's a fucking lifesaver.

If you end up with a funny measurement like 1/12 cup just find out what it is in teaspoons or tablespoons by typing just that in google

kys go to costco and get a 10lb bag for $25 u retard

We are here to be fit not to be fat. Bacon has nothing good compared to eggs. If you get eggs get the ones with Omega 3's in them and put some garlic on top for flavor.

Anyone got a chili mac recipe

sorry bongbruv, i was going off of op's
>>musclefood.com Great price on chickenbreast

which is 5kg for L25

I love my beef joints, but they're getting too expensive. Shoud I switch to pork instead to save cash?

Or what's the best cheapest meat joint?

Maintainability is more important than efficiency, user

Pork is great. Eat the rind and all the saturated fat attached to it for maximum test gains (saturated with goodness). Save the drippings to cook other foods or make a gravy.

Whats good healthy fats for mixing into foods as opposed to just cooking/frying/etc with? Eg something to mix into mash potato (normally would use butter)

>chicken

How did you get in the habit of measuring the exact amount of calories for food you make?

What can you tell someone starting this out that would help them in the long run?

Knowing how to measure oz to g to lb is easy but when it comes down to adding it all up do you often find it difficult to get an accurate number for the calories you're about to eat?

well, since you probably won't be able to calculate EXACTLY the number of calories you will consume, get good at estimating. This much of this kind of food is around like ~450 calories, then you can just adjust when you see that the ratios are different(like more meat in some stuff, or less pasta, or w/e)

I was thinking of replacing rice with quinoa and lentils, plus maybe adding soybeans instead of broccoli. What other veggies that are good can I add to the chicken breast and grains combo? Or should I just stick with the broccoli because it's enough? I'm on a cut.

I want to steal. More info please?

I have literally no problem eating plain foods.
If you do manual labor, even the driest most rubbery piece of bicycle seat chicken breast will taste heavenly.

1. Visit whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
2. Pick a few new ingredients every month to play around with
3. Learn 3 recipes off by heart
4. Learn a new recipe every few weeks
5. Repeat until chef

>How did you learn how to eat right?
Literally just added more veg to my diet over time and slowly stopped eating processed shit

Learning to cook the fast foods I enjoyed made a big difference for me, the first time I made a burger that tasted identical to and better than McDonalds for example.

>I don't know how to keep my calories down!
More veg, more water, less shit

>How did you get in the habit of measuring the exact amount of calories for food you make?
I measured the amount of calories in food I made.. repeatedly

>What can you tell someone starting this out that would help them in the long run?
Calorie tracking? Use google or an app. If you fuck up just go by your average calories for the previous days

>Knowing how to measure oz to g to lb is easy but when it comes down to adding it all up do you often find it difficult to get an accurate number for the calories you're about to eat?
No, I counted calories correctly once and never had to deal with it again.

FYI, kefir in the US is 'buttermilk' and 1/2 the price of the 'kefir' in the yogurt section

Has anyone else realized the potential in tacos?

>few carbs
>lots of meat
>lots of veggies
>literally delicious
>portion control, eat one and not wanting to go prepare another one
>can be made with beef, chicken, pulled pork
>even put an egg on dat badboi

I eat 2 a day, one for late lunch, one for late dinner. Throw on some avocado for healthy fats and better fuller feel, some balsamic vinager, lots of salt and pepper.

>pic is with beef and spices, with some salami leftover, eggs, favourite veggies.

Count this on MyFitnessPal, been counting for a week, lost 1 kg.

>taco
>low carbs

No. They're the white bread of the americas- tasty but nutritionally almost all shitty carbs

That said, they're god tier if you can fit them into your macros

>They're the white bread of the americas
white bread is the white bread of America

unless you're specifically talking about both Americas don't ever post about my country again

One tortilla is like 180 kcal, its not perfect but its far from damaging. Its a good overall meal.

The good americas with the drugs and bananas

Also there are 3 americas, if people in your country read books you'd know geography