When did fitness and lifting weights become such a normie meme?

When did fitness and lifting weights become such a normie meme?

>bodybuilding culture starts to spread in the mid 70s thanks to pumping iron
>blew up in the 80s with muscular, jacked actors starts to play in action movies in the cinema
>90s it starts to settle, bodybuilders start to shift into the mass monster genre

Fast forward to the 2010s

>pretty much any average joe hit the gym AT LEAST once a week even if its for cardio/curlz4gurlz shit
>pretty much almost every girl between 17-30 years old go to the gym to do some booty routines and snap selfies

When did things become like these??

When kids were told that they would be loved even if they are landwhales, no need to try.

Its all that fucking cookie cutter Arnolds fault, he made it look cool when it was for homosexuals who were sexually frustrated

Why are you complaining faggot
These means that there are more fit chicks around, and people appreciate your physique more because they know the work it takes

Serious answer, normies are getting more educated and have better knowledge of health/posture issues. Normies also realize that their jobs isn't exactly chopping wood for 14 hours a day, their option is to go running, go to a gym, join a sport club. Since gyms allow all that, why not.

+ People are now realizing that being strong isn't unhealthy.

>being mad that people are working out
You're a faggot.
That's all I really have to say to you.

Well, doing anything but type 1 cardio + some "functional" aka endurance strength conditioning is Infact unhealthy.

But who cares.

Blame the Internet

DYEL detected.
Post pics of your fat gross body.
Since you know, who cares.

Wut.

General practitionner detected.

I'm 30, I lift heavy since I'm 16.

I was "gonna hurt my back".

Now I'm one of the 2 fron my usual group with no back issues. The other is a nerd who somehow has a black woman's ass.

Continued.

It might be mah genetics though because my dad is 59, worked on a farm during his teenage years and as a mover/lumberjack before he had me. He had, and still has, no knowledge or desire to use proper form and his back is fine.

It's objectively taxing for both heart and joints.
That's pretty much all there is to it, it's an objective truth that goes without saying.

I am not telling you or anything that they shouldn't lift - I am just telling you that everything beyond cardio and some strength endurance training is not contributing to health in any way.

Are you seriously surprised by this statement? It's insane how low the medical education and understanding must be for someone not to know that.

this is objectively false. In fact high intensity interval training has been shown to increase longevity and decrease severity in populations with congestive heart failure. LITERALLY the population where everyone says "don't exercise", and even they are helped tremendously by intense exercise

Fuck off, you know nothing

More like why did it ever stop being normal?

I didn't say "don't exercise".

See you can't even read what I am writing but want me to take you seriously.

HIIT has some positive effects on your health because it makes your heart more efficient and thus reduces the overall usage.
But guess what? So does actual cardio, just that it is a lot more efficient at doing so.
A session of HIIT style training should be part of a successfull cardio training once a week, yes.
But I don't see where your BB stuff fits in now.

In all seriousnes: you truely believe that bench pressing has health benefits? I mean, cmon.

You dumb nigger he said do cardio and light lifting aka HIIT. Stupid niggers need to leave

>Well, doing anything but type 1 cardio + some "functional" aka endurance strength conditioning is Infact unhealthy.

Hey retard, lets not obfuscate the fucking argument. You made a claim, stick by it when your wrong.

No everything beyond type I cardio is not unhealthy. In fact, HIIT is MORE beneficial than MICE for the majority of individuals

Weight training is a type of HIIT, in fact, the body does not distinguish between short bursts of anaerobic exercise via sprinting, then it does short bursts of strength training exercise in regards to metabolic and cardiovascular effects. They are identical processes that lead to muscular and systemic fatigue which cause metabolic and musculoskeletal adaptions.

Yes bench pressing improves the anaerobic capacity of the muscles in question just as sprinting does to your legs. Yes it leads to positive adaptation in a multitude of body processes.

You're fucking retarded if you're trying to distill exercise down to "type I cardio lol", and you should just go fucking mckill yourself

light lifting gives no benefits that moderate to high intensity lifting doesn't give more of.

It's a good thing. I see so many ugly, terrible looking people walking around. It's crazy how some people just don't give a single shit about their health.

>tfw you spot a young DYEL at the gym for the 1st time

feels good. i wish i had started earlier.

Actually heavy compound lifting is great protection against developing osteoporosis

>When did things become like these??
They didn't. The vast majority of people I know don't work out.

I recently rejoined a gym after being out of commission for two years and it is infuriating seeing all these cunts hogging every squat rack to squat at the most 65 lbs.

Cardio is well researched amongst silence and literally everyone that has some kind of medical education knows that type 1 cardio (aerobic) should always be the majority of training (over type 2 (anaerobic)).
Muscle mass you gain from anaerobic training has almost no use or health benefit whatsoever - it even barely burns calories. It's just useless.

We won't come to an agreement here because you think that doing HIIT, which you see as regular BB training, should be done equally as much as actual cardio training - which is just outright false.

80% cardio (type 1) and 20% HIIT/anaerobic (type 2). That's healthy.
If you turn that around it's not.

There is not much more to say about this.

>amongst silence
>muscle mass useless
>putting words in my mouth about BBing

how many blue pills did you fucking eat you hipster faggot? Why are you on this board?

>why are you on this board

Well, I bench 160, I think I belong here.

You are majorly offended by what I am saying because you probably imagine me has yoga hipster that hates bodybuilders.
I am not and i don't.

I am just confused by how people think they do strength of BB training for health reasons.
That's so fucking stupid and also delusional that it makes me sick every time I read about it.

If you wanted to do physical activity for health reasons you would be doing cardio with small amounts of HIIT and endurance training.

I know that you know that just as well as I do yet you are so hard in denial about it.

the point is not to only weight train. The point is its just as important for a variety of reasons. I literally cannot get my head around someone coming onto fit and spouting such an uneducated opinion that you should do 80% cardio and 20% hiit/anaerobic.

you're just pulling shit out of your ass.

Stalling at a lmao1plate bench and salty or something?

>Well, I bench 160

I hope you mean kg? Otherwise fucking lel, we're done here kid

Oh shit.... This guy can bench 160... We need to listen to what he's saying now!!

>Well, I bench 160
pls be kg
>I am just confused by how people think they do strength of BB training for health reasons.
People are dumb. Get used to it.

Same thing with most boards. For instance /g/ is only about shitposting phones and linux and AMD vs Intel, as if no other types of technology exists. /b/ is anything but random. Etc.

This board isn't about fitness.

I don't pull it out of my ass, I grew up amongst successful docs that made their job their life.
I know, I know, the teenagers on Veeky Forums are always extremely confident about knowing it better than docs because, you know, they have been lifting for almost a year already!
It doesn't even matter what topic you are talking about, it should be absolutely clear that someone who devoted 40 years of his life to gathering knowledge about a certain topic, that spent 30 years working with actual subjects of this knowledge and expiriencing practical cases knows better than someone who spent a year on a smiliar subject and read some online articles.

Doing a lot of strength training kill yours joints, acquires muscle mass that barely has any health benefit and taxes your heart.
Go to a local doc and have a discussion about it if you do not believe that.
Yeah, I mean kilograms, I am from Europe.

What do you bench?
True, noticed that for /asp/ too. Litterally WWE.
Kind of weird, the Internet was usually a place where the more intellectual type of society gathered.

>I am europe

no wonder your dumb as a brick then. Who the fuck spouts this muscle is bad for your heart shit anymore ? Thats literal meme science and your "docs" should go back to school

>pretty much any average joe hit the gym AT LEAST once a week even if its for cardio/curlz4gurlz shit

I'm in the UK and I can tell you that is absolute horseshit.

No, I'm not Europe mate.

I didn't say the muscle mass is bad for your heart.

I feel a little russled here, what am I even supposed to say here? You didn't even mange to read the post properly, it's like talking to a literal mouthbreathing retard.

you literally said and I quote

>"muscle mass taxes your heart"

Do I really have to explain to you where the second "and" belongs to?
Can you figure it out yourself where it might belong to?

You can do it, I believe in you.

except muscles mass nor strength training are bad for your heart?

bad for your joints i give you, if you are abusing your body to the extreme. But the same could be said of extreme endurance athletes. In fact, ultra marathoners have more cardiac problems then any other athlete

You don't even have to take it to the extreme, you really don't.

>it's not bad for your heart
Having several hours of extremely elevated pulse throughout the week is indeed nothing but taxing for your heart.
Yes, some HIIT is actually good for your heart, no question. But "some" HIIT doesn't translate to 6 hours a week. If translate to maybe 2.

>extreme athletes are unhealthy
Yes, absolutely, no question - never stated the opposite.

>Having several hours of extremely elevated pulse throughout the week is indeed nothing but taxing for your heart.

So any exercise that elevates your heart rate is bad?

Ok bye

>taxing for your heart

That's what exercise is. That's how you strengthen any muscle, be it skeletal or cardiac.

>'dudes I'm so healthy'
>mongolians invade
>can't squat lmao1horse
>cucked

What then?

Being a teenager is wanting to look like zyzz
Being an adult is looking up to people like bruce lee

Having your heart beat at very high rate is unhealthy because it's taxing for it, yes.
That's why real cardio is slow and over a longer period of time - you monitor your heart rate and keep it low.
That is what true cardio is; that is what the goal of doing cardio is - to increase the amount of work load you can do without having your heart rate go up to very high rates.
That's the basic of cardio training. Educate yourself.
Read above. Ask any endurance athlete. You don't do cardio with 180+ BPM and "go hard".
That's Facebook mom tier of doing cardio.
Any athlete knows that keeping the heart rate low during most of cardio training is important.

It's true in a way; but also very wrong.

Imagine your heart as having a predetermined amount of beats. Being 100 bpms above resting rate for 1 hour would rob you of 6000 beats. Feels bad man, until you consider the cardio gains that make it so you don't need 70 BPMs at rest to live. My BPM was 80 in high school, I spent a summer bicycling and maintained the cardio gains for a decade + and now I kinda just lift heavy and walk unless on a cut.

My BPM at rest is around 42.

40 BPM less for 12 years: huge life gains erasing the life I lost while doing cardio.

Lmao benching 160 is a meme, I can bench that and I'm dyel af (1,88m 81kg (fuck imperial))

You can bench 160kg and you're dyel? I'm going to have to see some pictures and videos, sir.

Are you saying its a bad thing?

160lbs (80kg), sorry froggo :(

I'll gladly upload some pictures of my body if you want to see me so badly ;) when are you not dyel? What is the line? My next goal is to move out the dyel zone

Don't try and pull a fast one on me boys. I want to see a dyel benching 160kg.

At first I was against everything you said because you sounded full of shit. Now I think that you are on the "right" side of the argument

I will not be able to do that frogman :( Sorry I pulled your leg there while I was pulling mine ;)

I mean once you get to a IFBB or SHW strongman/powerlifter's level the muscle mass isn't exactly going to be good for your heart.

Then prepare yourself

Where do you live? I live in a shitty flyover state and the vast majority of people don't go to the gym

>not living somewhere with fitness culture
it's one of the few things that makes living in California acceptable desu
That and the weather, shame about how many fat mexicans we've got though.

Gym is overrated user. If your noob start with pushups/pullups. Then when you start getting stronger buy a bar and some plates, you can deadlift anywhere anyways. Legs? Cardio is good enough if your not looking to compete in powerlifting events. Need weights for mass building? Buy light dumbells do high reps with precise form. Bench press? Old school strongmen didn't call it the bench press but the floor press. Bench on the floor. Overhead press? Learn to clean a weight off the ground.

Make noise in apartment? Fuck em. Unless your deadlifting 700 pounds and slamming it on the ground on 2nd floor or higher of apartment your probably not gonna get peoples attention.

I envy you. Will move out of this shithole a soon as I can.
At least i am easily in the top 10% of males just because of my dyel body here.

Dyel or no?

flabby dyel

Not quite dyel. Fat, but not big, Strange. Now where's that video of you benching 160kg?

Thanks :) if I was already not dyel anymore, then dyel had no meaning. I love life!

There is none. Bad cam angle and posture, am not fat, 1,88m 81kg, 13-14% bf.

Thats 6"2 180lbs in retardian

From my experience the average joe will have a "lifting phase" that lasts a few months but that's it.

You're acting like everyone is just walking around jacked these days when the opposite is true. Our vain culture has made it so we see a bunch of phaggots suddenly getting "motivated" and joining a gym for a few months. But none of them stick it out.

Only 190... But I'm also not going around fitness forums spouting bullshit statistics and using my bench as a qualifier that I "belong"

Well, it doesn't matter too much what side you are on.
Only if you actually, truely lift for health benefits, then it would matter - then you probably should reconsider your goals and educate yourself some more.
I was asked what I am doing here. Mentioning my bench merely was a mean of expressing that I am, just like the guy I was arguing with, doing strength training.

Because it seemed like that a lot of his offense to what I was saying came from the idea that I despite bodybuilders or weightlifter a and feel superior to them.

>Doing a lot of strength training kill yours joints, acquires muscle mass that barely has any health benefit and taxes your heart.
>Go to a local doc and have a discussion about it if you do not believe that.

Weird, every GP I've been to has had nothing but positive things to say about lifting, and weight training in general.

I don't know what type of GP's you talk to, but those i personally know are extremly ambitious workacholics that are extremly successful in their job - self educating themselves every day ever since they got their degree (summa cum laude).

As with any job qualifications differ greatly - you can finish your graduation and idle on that knowledge for the rest of your life, doing school medicine and you know, just fixing colds.

Please seek up an actual, successful (hint: those usually don't accept non private insurance patients) orthopedist and ask him if he believes that heavy weightlifting such as bench pressing does not have negative impact on the shoulder joint.

EWWWWWW UNCUT

>Military
>GPs In NZ, Australia,Singapore, England, and the US
>None had anything negative to say about weightlifting, except for one who made me demonstrate correct DL form to him to make sure I wasn't doing my back in
>Have been lifting on and off for over a decade., never injured myself.

n=1, I'm not sure what your massive bias is against weightlifting is though. For someone who talks down on other medical professionals, you seem to have soaked up a lot bias towards it.

Anecdotes =/ evidence, but personally speaking, everyone I know who is plagued by joint and muscle injuries are people who focus on endurance, and cross-fitters. Except for one meat head lifter who blew a knee out bombing to the ground on a 160kg ATG high-bar squat.

It's not about injury. Injuries are not the actual problem. If they were that would make my argument even easier to defend. But i won't go as far as calling an activity unhealthy because it is prone to injuries.

I have no bias against weightlifting, i am doing it myself, that would be weird wouldn't it?
I have a good, fundamental understanding of the implications of heavy weight training, i have a good, fundamental understanding of the human body and what causes it to decay during ones lifespan.

The only point i am making here is that strength training or bodybuilding training is not done for health reasons. If someone did it for health reasons, then he would be on the wrong track, because there are other, physical activities that would help ones health a lore more.

If you want to believe that bench pressing heavy weights, that squatting heavy weight and generally loading joints and making them undergo heavy loads is not in anyway speeding up the decaying process of them, then go ahead and to that.
I resort to the people that have an lifetime of experience having to deal with the direct results of weight training - that's all.
Apart from that it just follow natural logic. If i drive my car 1k miles a day it will break down faster than someone who takes it 50 miles a day.

74% of adult american males are obese or overweight.

(((Fat acceptance))) is catching on, as the average weight keeps climbing.
See: the thicc meme.

Not enough people are going to the gym.

I can kind of understand women not going to the gym because they only need to be thin to look good (hell, they don't even need to be thin anymore).

But it boggles my mind that every guy in the world doesn't lift weights at least once a week. You can make some gains doing a full body regimen weekly. By all means, I'd always recommend at least 2+ times a week.

Lifting weights isn't hard, doesn't take that much time

30 percent of people are fucking obese man, the average joe does not exercise in the slightest.
Go outside and really look at the bodies of people

This. Not doing cardio I can understand but lifting is relatively easy besides deadlifts and squats.

This is true. I've figured it's because the internet has done a couple things:

>given people more information with regards to diet/fitness
>more people are showing off and thus causing fatties and skeletons to be inspired/jealous

Just look at what Zyzz did here.

Lmao. Even most people in the gym dont look like they lift