Are pullups the best overall back exercise?

Are pullups the best overall back exercise?

Overall? No. They're mostly lats, shoulders and upper back

No, but they're great.

In the sense that, if you were forced to only do one excercise for your back from now on (like you could still add weight with a belt) then they are the best, yeah.

And lower traps, and rhomboids.

Is it better to have your legs crossed like that?

And what difference does it make if you bring your chest to the bar as opposed to having your chin exceed the bar?

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. They just seem like the most well rounded back exercise. Of course you should do your rows and deadlifts and whatnot but pullups are so good.

Just not when you're doing them with a nigger form like in pic related.

>Is it better to have your legs crossed like that?
no, it's just a way for weaklings who can't stabilise their bodies to not jiggle around too much

rock climbers have devised som crazy fucking permutations of pull ups

pull ups and chin ups are pretty good vertical pulls
I like dumbbell rows/face pulls for horizontal ones

Pull ups are the single hardest lift for me to master. It takes me MONTHS using the assisted machine to get my back to the point where I can do a single pull or chin up unassisted. Tfw 3 months into lifting and can finally do 1 chin up. Just 2 more months and I might get over to pull ups brahs.

>legs weigh prob 50lbs each

Yo, I'm a skinny kunt of 200lbs who might do 150 chin ups in a workout. I am mirin you through the internet.

Lose weight.

Do controlled declines? And lat pull downs?

I weigh 270 and I can do 3x8 full range wide grip pull ups

same here. It feels good to be able to do a couple of solid pull ups after months of using the assisted machine

Nice. Your lats must be massive.

>Is it better to have your legs crossed like that?
Your legs can do whatever they want as long as you are not swinging them around. I never really understood the desire to cross legs though. I just kind of let them hang dead if the pull up bar is high enough.

Yeah at my best I was doing 8 pull ups and weighed in the 180 range. Now I am about 215 and am really struggling. College did a number on my weight. Finally graduated in December and been trying to sort myself out ever since.

It is the best feeling ever. I did a few sets of 8 with -25lbs on the assisted machine yesterday. Free weight sets are not far off.

I do lat pull downs sometimes yeah. I don't think they do a whole lot compared to assisted pull ups though. I would do controlled declines but it looks so silly standing on a chair and doing them while people are in line to do pull ups behind you at the gym.

Are you overweight? They're much harder when you have some extra weight on you.

It helps fully engage your glutes and deactivate part of your back and abductors, which in turn activates your core more. It can also help stabilize. If you kick enough it does make a different so dont kick and ur in the clear.

I know everything about exercise and pullups are only the best exercise that works that part of your back, you still need a horizonal pull as well.

oh wait nvm

A bit yeah, but even in high school when I was thin as a stick I struggled with them. My family has genetically shitty backs so I have to work mine pretty hard to keep it progressing along with my other lifts. I could stand to lose 40lbs easily though, and if I weighed that much combined with my current strength, I imagine I would pound out sets easily.

>"A bit" overweight

>Could stand to lose 40lbs

wat

Thank you Anons for having an actual discussion about fitness on Veeky Forums

Idk, websites say I should weigh that much less for a normal BMI but I think my body is differently proportioned than most people my height. I have huge ass tree trunk legs that weigh a lot each so trying to weigh the website BMI would probably make me look like a holocaust survivor

I was in the same boat as you friend, I finally did my first pull up two weeks ago

It was the best feeling I've felt in a long time

If those huge ass tree trunk legs aren't super strong, then you're probably just storing a lot of fat in your legs, so even though you don't look 40 lbs overweight, you probs are.

Regardless, BMI is a lie, and assumes you don't lift. Joe Rogan is technically obese.

I just do kind of a very slight hanging leg raise to tighten my core/quads and keep them still.

Doing that instantly makes my leg cramp up

whats up with these dyel retards thinking one exercise is enough for the back

do you retards even know how complex the back is anatomicly? How many muscles there are located on the back? You need a variety of exercises to balance it out

Deadlifts, pull ups and rows.

Anything else is just assistance.

it's between pullups and chinups for upper back development

heavy DB rows are up there too

for lower back nothing compares to conventional deadlift

i just do it because my feet would bounce off the ground otherwise (tall, long arms, most pullups bars i've seen are too close to the ground)

What do you do if your door frame is too narrow and your elbows hit the frame halfway up?

I remember being a skinnyfat conscript and being completely unable to do a single chin up, and all the instructors would say was "just do push ups and pull harder yo"

Go to the gym

fuck, the gym is 50/month here

For aesthetics, yes

For health and overall fitness I'd say deadlift

nothing could make you more chad than doing a bunch of pull ups in front of cardio bunnies. Do fucking pull ups OP