It was called the Middle Ages because it was the middle between the classical period and the age of enlightenment

>It was called the Middle Ages because it was the middle between the classical period and the age of enlightenment
>The church suppressed science and knowledge
>Everyone was ignorant
>Europe was isolated
>It was called the Dark Ages because life was short, brutish, and cruel
>They burned 9 million witches
>The Church burned people at the stake if they said that the world was round
>Everyone believed the world was flat
>It was the Muslims that civilized Europeans
>Everyone smelled and they didn't bathed ever
>Everyone was stupid and poor
>It was a time of religious fanaticism against the peaceful Muslims

I agree user. It was a pretty shit time.

Muslims were the equivelant if the soviet union back then.
New
collectivist ideology
Totalitarian
Wants to rule the whole world.
Its canon gets changed and cebsored according to the whims if its dictators.
Honestly the europeans were freer and awseomer in general.

Peasants had less obligations back then compared today.

>>The church suppressed science and knowledge
implying it didn't
>>Everyone was ignorant
implying the average peasant wasn't
>>Everyone was stupid and poor
implying the average peasant wasn't

that's probably because they could do fuck all before dying of malaria at age 16

>implying it didn't
Developing the scientific method isn't really suppressing scientific knowledge is it?

>The Aristotelian model of the universe, which was THE model for every Medieval European, teaches a round earth
>Yet we are taught in American public schools that Europeans thought the earth was flat without any explanation why

>suffering of tuberculosis at the age of 5 but first being tortured and burned alive because your eyes are slightly less blue than your father's making you a witch was free and awesome

>suffering of tuberculosis at the age of 5 but first being tortured and burned alive because your eyes are slightly less blue than your father's making you a witch was free and awesome

>what's shutting down plato's academy
>what's threatening galileo with death
>what's overwriting scrolls containing calculus and the steam engine
>what's the burning of gordiano bruno
>what's the spanish inquisition

What technological advances did Europeans in the middle ages have over the people that lived in the Roman Empire, anyway? I know there was advancement and there was no "scientific dark ages" but I don't know of anything that was actually developed besides better sailing technology.

Literally fell for all the memes or troll

>Shut down one abandon academy
>durrrr they stopped scientific progress

>what's shutting down plato's academy
Done by Justinian, not the Catholic Church
>what's threatening galileo with death
They threatened him with torture, not death. Galileo called their bluff though, and he was right.
>what's overwriting scrolls containing calculus and the steam engine
Sounds like retarded meme you're repeating.
in the early modern period
>what's the spanish inquisition
Mostly the investigation of issues pertaining to the practice of orthodox Catholicism among peasants.

>b-but it wuz anabandaon
keep telling yourself that faggot

>It was called the Middle Ages because it was the middle between the classical period and the age of enlightenment
damn, how did they know the enlightenment age would came after beforehand? makes you think...

>"Done by Justinian, not the Catholic Church"
>doesn't know when the schism occurred

>"They only threatened him with TORTURE UNTIL CONFESSION, FOLLOWED BY DEATH BY BURNING, totally changes things :-DDDD"

>Sounds like retarded meme you're repeating.
sounds like definitely not an argument

>"in the early modern period"
>"that means it's ok :-DDDDDD"

>"Mostly"
extremely debatable

It literally was you dumb fedora, please show me your evidence that it wasn't at the time it was shut down.

>sounds like definitely not an argument
The "steam engine" of Alexandria was nothing more than a glorified science experiment. It couldn't actually do anything useful or generate any power. And there's no evidence that Christians destroyed it either.

Why exactly would the Roman Catholic Church be responsible for an edict by Emperor Justinian in the 500s? it just doesn’t make sense, irregardless of when the schism occurred.

>show me your evidence that it wasn't
you made the claim it was, i'm afraid the burden of proof lies on your shoulders
>The "steam engine" of Alexandria was nothing more than a glorified science experiment
the next time we came up with that thought again was 2,000 later, if scientists knew about the fact the industrial revolution could have kickstarted hundreds of years earlier

Rome had no reason for the steam engine because they had slaves. It would be the Christian UK that pushed for the global eradication of slavery centuries later and also that would popularize the steam engine.

most of the killings done in the sp*nish inquisition was done by secular authorities
and the inquisition was one of the earliest example of innocent until proven guilty

I pointed out that it was abandoned, you said it wasn't, I asked you to prove it, and now you're dodging the question. Is it because you don't have any proof? I think so.
>if scientists knew about the fact the industrial revolution could have kickstarted hundreds of years earlier
Scientists did know about the fact, there were several records of its existence so clearly your claim of the industrial revolution starting hundreds of years earlier is wrong. The scientists also knew that it's couldn't do anything useful, hence why it didn't go anywhere.

People actually believe this?

Lots of mechanical innovations. The mill, for one.

>galileo
it was more because galileo was a dick who called the p*pe a simpleton even though that guy covered his ass and specifically told galileo to hold off his questioning about heliocentrism until the church could edit their documents and shit
>overwriting scrolls containing calculus and steam engine
literally a mistake
>gordiano bruno
bruno was a huge ass heretic,something that can cause rebellions and such at the time
>spanish inquisition
a much touted proof of religious brutality that was much tamer than people say

i'm not a christfag and i think those arguments are lame

The reason the Greek steam engine didn't go anywhere was because the metals known then weren't strong enough for it to be useful, and people didn't know how to make stronger metals, yet.

>>It was called the Middle Ages because it was the middle between the classical period and the age of enlightenment
>The Middle Ages is the middle period of the three traditional divisions of Western history: classical antiquity, the medieval period, and the modern period.

Gid damn it this the fucking bullshit Veeky Forums gets shat on for.
Stop equating primitive steps forward made by other nonanes in parallel societies with developing modern science.
They noticed some shit that didnt contradict the theology of the church so they wrote it down.
Whenever it does tge church fights it until it gets embarrasing enough for them to recognize resistence is futile.

Cudos to the church for the literacy though.

All of those happened later after the Middle Ages retard. The Inquisition occurred near the end of the Middle Ages and most of the witch burnings, which I assume the OP is making fun of the misconceptions and myths people spout off about the Middle Ages because of memes and long held assumptions that the Middle Ages was all backwards and isolated which is simply not true. Witch burnings and hunts occurred later towards the end of the Medieval period and they didn't start to get going until the 15th and 16th century. And big shocker the (((Germans))) in the 1500s thanks to Luther's autism began this long anti-woman and anti-witch scare themselves.

thats true tho
>The church suppressed science and knowledge
mostly a meme, they preserved texts mostly, however they did suppress some writings and other things associated with specific pagans/heretics/apostates
>everyone was ignorant
literacy dropped massively during and following the classical period
>It was called the Dark Ages because life was short, brutish, and cruel
I believe this refers to the drop in written texts/literacy that contributed to a lack of knowledge of the period among early historians. New texts have been revealed so its kinda a meme,
>They burned 9 million witches
no but they did burn tens of thousands and many many others for being heretics, pagans, etc.
>The Church burned people at the stake if they said that the world was round
not true
>Everyone believed the world was flat
Most scholars knew it wasn't however many peasants assumed it WAS flat
>It was the Muslims that civilized Europeans
Muslims conquered and inherited the richest, most advanced, and most literate part of the ancient world (Egypt, the Levant, and also Persia)....this is somewhat true.
>Everyone smelled and they didn't bathed ever
meh
>Everyone was stupid and poor
most people were illiterate and poor, yes, however "poor" does not mean suffering and isn't really comparable to what "poor" means to modern western people.
>It was a time of religious fanaticism
Somewhat, both authorities and laypeople were "fanatics" when it suited them and ignored religion when it didn't
>against the peaceful Muslims
Muslims weren't peaceful, neither were Christians

>however many peasants assumed it WAS flat
no. No they didn’t,

>however many peasants assumed it WAS flat
they lived in a society that had accepted and believed in a round earth for thousands od years.

* a thousand years

more people would believe the earth is flat nowadays desu

Do you people have legit autism? Samefag here but I don't care, I post this making fun of the people who make these grossly misconceptions about the Middle Ages such as the tired meme of "they believe the Earth was flat xD".

>Do you people have legit autism?
yes. This is Veeky Forums. People here have legit autism, or Aspergers, or social anxiety, or ocd, or depression, schizophrenia. Or some combination.

?According to Stephen Jay Gould, "there never was a period of 'flat Earth darkness' among scholars (regardless of how the public at large may have conceptualized our planet both then and now)."
Maybe im wrong but thats just what i heard
thats because they're too many Kyrie Irving fans and "woke" people

>generate any power

Steam engines generate power?
Your brain on religion, not even once kids.

>Maybe im wrong but thats just what i heard
No european of any class thought the earth was flat. Its just something made up.

>people today believe the Earth is flat
>no way some did too during the middle ages

I thought that the Catholic Church was the one, true Church which has existed since the time of Peter to today.

>/pol/ logic

Justinian was Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire and his patriarch would have been that of Constantinople. Whatever went on over there (in this case the closing od plato’s academy) is very much the legacy of the Eastern Roman goverment and Eastern Orthodox Churches. The patriarch of Rome (west) wasn’t really involved with him.

>No european of any class thought the earth was flat. Its just something made up.
Sources? The Bible says that Earth is flat. It doesn’t seem much of a stretch for the lower clergy and the peasants to think the Earth is flat based on the book of the religion that they based their lives around.

>The Bible says that Earth is flat
Source?

The Bible.

Where in the Bible? It's a long book.

Chapter 1.

Verse? I don't see it. Not him by the way.

Just read the first twenty verses or so. God separates the firmament (heaven) from the waters, which surround the firmament. Then God gathers all the water under the dome of the sky and makes dry land under the sky. This picture gets the point across better than I can.
Also see the part of the Bible when Satan takes Jesus to a high mountain and Jesus is able to see all the kingdoms of the world.

You poor thing. You probably think Eden was on Earth too. No friendo, the waters is a reference that goes back to the Akkadian "Enuma Elish", there are primordial waters and the "lower waters". Pop reconstructionists assume that lower waters are rivers and primordial waters are oceans, but primordial waters seems to be ancients grappling with something they didn't have a specific term for. We know this because it shows up in the Egyptian Ogdoad and their version of a theogony. They suggest things that came before the beginning were things like "water", "darkness", "stillness", etc(which actually means God didn't create the waters, he separated them). Thinking waters means literal oceans is brainlet tier retarded is the point. It's obviously a stand in for something else.

yeah pretty much

>All the learned men of the day were ecclesiastics
>See, Christianity is the reason for science

Now this is dishonest

No counterargument. Christians were the ones that preserved the classics and forwarded science. Atheismos are just buttmad the Bible doesn't have a verse dedicated to some random empirical field of study,despite over a millennia of Christian good works and advancements.

You're serious, aren't you?

>Stop equating primitive steps forward
So the founding of the scientific method was a primitive step forward? Your brain on atheism everyone.

Sure, if you'd enjoy brushing your teeth with urine

I wonder what it takes to get your IQ user

i thought they brushed their teeths with sticks

What's dishonest. It was the clergymen who set the foundation for modern science and continued to make some of the biggest breakthroughs in their fields after the Middle Ages ended? No one is saying that science exits purely because of Christianity, but if not for it, modern science would be much different and possibly less advanced.

The counterargument is how could we reasonably expect a non-christian to be involved in the preservation of scientific records and further development of science when such a person wasn't even allowed to exist with any degree of noteriety.

ITT: Meme touting historically illiterate fedoras get BTFO once again
Is the Spanish Inquisition meme dead yet btw? The records have been out since the 90s in the Vatican, have they been released from the curse of anti-Hapsburg/Catholic memes?

>a person needs notoriety to do God's work

user.

I think you are misinterpreting what he means by generate power, I assume that the user you responded to meant that it could not create any practical amount of energy in its form, I’m not even arguing if the user you responded too was right or not I’m just pointing out your mistake

No, user!

No and judging by the number references people say "oh that's so medieval oh what a medieval law" shows that the meme about the Middle Ages being "bad" hasn't gone away. When someone says that laws medieval in the United States for example people don't realize that a lot of our laws based in the US and also in Britain are based on medieval common law.

Here's what I think, the inquisition was torture and murder.

Just because the winner write history some people think it was some enlightened sewing circle,and everyone prosecuted by it deserved it.

Galilieo was clearly being fed red tape and bullshit you bootlicking cuck

Power doesn't have to equal electricity you idiot

What a horrible post. Never post again.

>>It was called the Middle Ages because it was the middle between the classical period and the age of enlightenment
this is true what the fuck are you on about?

>Peasants had less obligations back then compared today.

That's actually quite true. Peasant's obligations towards his master did not exceed 1/10th of his worktime. That's more or less equivalent to 10% taxation. Far less than in most developed nations today.

The difference however was that incomes in middle ages were abysmal and those 10% did much to make a peasant's life even more miserable.

Horse collar, stirrups, heavy plough, crop rotation, windmill.

Farming in middle-ages was insanely more productive than in antiquity. One of the reasons that Reconquista was so successfully was that the tiny Spanish kingdoms were more efficient in food production than An-Andalus, where methods from antiquity were still dominant.

>calculus
>middle ages

>>what's shutting down plato's academy

Plato's academy was destroyed in 89 BC. Later several groups of LARPers claimed to revive the academy, sometimes at the same time. The one closed by Justinian was nothing more than a philosophy discussion group for bookworms. There was no scientific research there.

>>what's threatening galileo with death

That isn't middle ages, and Galileo got into personal feud with the Pope by publishing writing a rude caricature of him in one of his pamphlets. The character that lampooned the pope was name Simplicius, i.e. simpleton.

>>what's overwriting scrolls containing calculus and the steam engine

Which ironically allowed them to survive rather than rot in some basement.

>>what's the burning of gordiano bruno

True, this was was a dick move by the church.

>>what's the spanish inquisition

Memed much beyond its actual role.

Retarded straw grasping. The same learned men who knew the bible knew the Aristotelian model of the universe which is the in use standard of the universe in the middle ages. No European, whether learned or unlearned, believed the Earth was flat.

Except the middle east was generally richer than yurop with the exception of some Italian cities.

>Catholic church
>not collectivist

Literally Google "medieval inventions".

>bruno was a huge ass heretic

Oh no, a deist! Surely this can't be tolerated.

Except that the bible says that god fought leviathans and in revelations that "there will be no sea".

Not to mention 10% taxes = shit infrastructure and almost nonexistent public services.

Yes. And?

Faith, as defined by Pope Benedict XVI, is to believe that what we cannot see and necessarily prove with pure reason (the supernatural) is just as real and true (if not more so) as the physical world. That's not to say that reason and faith are mutually exclusive, but they are certainly at odds with each other.

>this post
>these implications
putting Veeky Forums in Veeky Forumstorically illiterate
weak b8

Others were covered pretty well, but this sticks out:
What does Giordano Bruno have to do with science? Yeah, some of the retarded stuff he invented actually does have some correspondence with reality, so what? He didn't come to those conclusions using any sort of replicable, testable scientific method. He just made shit up. There wasn't any reason to believe him.

Besides he was an occultist pantheist which is an outlook completely antithetical to any sort of empiricism or science. If god permeates all of existence and the truth is occulted and given only to the chosen few, it becomes impossible to create replicable, observable general rules of causality and logic.

Not to mention how he wasn't executed for any scientific stuff, but for Christian heresy and blasphemy against Mary. Even if he were right it doesn't make Church anti-scientific any more than arresting a scientist for jaywalking constitutes state anti-scientism.

The only reason he's lauded is that Enlightenment intellectuals wanted a role model and they too were huge about occultism and magic, before and completely unrelated to the accidental discovery of scientific method by some other Enlightenment intellectuals.

>weak b8
It's true you mong.

>What does Giordano Bruno have to do with science? Yeah, some of the retarded stuff he invented actually does have some correspondence with reality, so what? He didn't come to those conclusions using any sort of replicable, testable scientific method.
It's all just an anti-catholic fedora LARP. It's embarrassing but these people believe whatever reinforces their world view.

>lies and memes are true
????