Starting strength thread

>what accessories should I add to SS
>If I take out deadlifts will it ruin my gains
>deadlift alternatives?

Also general SS thread for anyone to ask questions about the program created by gains god rippletits

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eABRIqJpdyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=QnRTDhdWHkc&t=393s
youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pullups
yes
no

I'd also add some arm work after about 5 months assuming you're a beginner.

ALWAYS DO DIDDLY'S

thanks, do you think adding situps and curls and other brosplit exercises would hurt gains or are they fine to do.

STRONGLIFTS IS BETTER

don't listen to this guy. he's trying to ruin your noob gains.

They're fine

Stick to the main 3 until you at least hit 2 pl8 squat, 1pl8 bench, 275 deads imo.

It won't hurt, but chances are that you're too weak for curls and brosplit stuff to do anything for you.

they'll get in your way
curls are always fine if you have some time at the end of a session
situps are a waste of time

Why?

be more concerned about proper power clean form rather than curls.
also Rippetoe said that if you're doing abs exercise you're gay and not doing his program.

Follow what said.

I'm 2pl8 bench, 1pl8 OHP, 3pl8 squats and I'm beginning to stall. (also have a laughable 275 diddly).

Should I keep on SS until my deadlift is respectable? My legs have unbelievable DOMS since 2 weeks ago too so the idea to switch is seducing.

are you eating enough
are you sleeping enough
are you trying hard enough

you should finally "ENTER THE TEXAS METHOD".

feel proud that it's time.

I'm fat, I'm doing it on maintenance or under. I still managed to add 5 lbs every lift since I started. Had to "try again" on my bench and OHP but the stall didn't last more than 1 work-out.

How to measure sleep, I don't feel tired but I could sleep more.

Y-yes sempai

Yes this is exactly what I needed!

I didn't want to get off the Rippetoe gains train, I still wanted to lift heavy but the recovery time of my legs just didn't allow it. I considered a 3x5 PushPull but thought of it as giving up since I made it up myself without thinking too much about it.

Thanks brah!!

>situps are a waste of time

are you referring to the exercise or working on abs?

>(also have a laughable 275 diddly).
you have and imbalance somewhere. do you have apt? if you dont fix it it's going to catch up

Do you mean a personal trainer?

anterior pelvic tilt

>3 plate squat
>275 deadlift

99% chance you aren't squatting to depth. The other 1% are turbo manlets with incredibly short arms and small hands. Take a video from the side.

do your fucking deadlifts son holy shit don't end up like me

>pic related
>after 7 months of squatting 3x a week
>no deadlifts at all

could do 145kg 1x5 squat at 70kg but couldn't do 110kg deadlift

>How to measure sleep, I don't feel tired but I could sleep more.

8 hours of sleep, so that usually translates to going to bed 9 hours before you have to get up.

The exercise. Ab wheel is better if you insist on doing ab work while on a beginner program.

OK just read about it.

I don't know about the exagerated ass curve, in fact sticking my ass out is what I find hard about squats/DL, but when tired I do tend to "sit on my kidneys" while standing up with my guts popping out.

I actually try super hard with my posture and went from walking on my heels to a more flat/tip of foot walk. I stand more upright and have seen progression on DL. I was even lower than that before.

Thing is, I am hyperlax and my scapulas were never in the right place for the last 20 years. I'm working on it atm. Would weak between/under-scapulas-traps explain why I round my upperback when attempting heavier diddies? You're scaring me with that APT. I CAN pick up 350 + from the ground, but I'll round my upperback hence why I prefer sticking to 275 and do it properly.

What would APT do to a Deadlift, specifically? I want to make sure I'm fine in this aspect.

thx brah for taking the time to help me

>I CAN pick up 350 + from the ground, but I'll round my upperback hence why I prefer sticking to 275 and do it properly.

Ah. So you're not trying hard enough.

1. you got the genetic lottery for legs more than 50% your height
2. why you no chest hair ?
3. go deeper with squatz for glute involvement.
4. do deficit deadlifts to increase the range, so regular at times feels shorter

>I'm built like a chimp.

My thighs touch my calves when I squat, can't go lower without buttwinking... even then that depth should be good. Also when I DL, my upperback is the problem, not the legs.

Also not a turbo manlet: I'm 6'1 but my legs are 3' long and my arms are comically short. I'm like a tall dwarf :(

How to correct? I squeeze my scapulas like a champ and my traps just deflate the moment the bar leaves the ground.

Is there a mental protip I can use?

user, have you tried it without fucking around with it for 6 months?

The fact you're suggesting removing deadlifts suggests not.

So why do you decide, as a beginner, to mitigate the focus of a strength gain program specifically tailored for beginners.

Either that or add in bro-curls and isolations and come here whining in a few weeks time because your gains are shit.

Add in some dips on bench days and pullups on diddly days if you're desperate. But stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

You will not maintain retracted scapula when deadlift, nor should you try to. Your scapula should be depressed (pulled down). Your back rounding over is a function of weak spinal erectors.

Watch this, listen to what he says about lats and shoulder blades.

youtube.com/watch?v=eABRIqJpdyQ

1. Actually have manlet legs (5'10) like 28 inch inseam I think
2. because I lost the fucking genetic lottery
3. I hit like 2 inches below parallel...dunno if I want to go deeper with lowbar but eh
4. it's an old pic from like 2015 my diddly is higher than my squat now

Man I've been posting around the same shit for 2 days and you are the only helpful reply I got. Will definitely watch this first thing tomorrow and see what to do about my spinal erectors.

Thanks and never change (except if the changes are gains)

Okay..... then you're not keeping your head upright, and you're *pulling* first ..... before.... *pushing* with your legs...

I have the *exact* problem with "Sumo" style.

My conventional is fine, form wise, because I keep my head and shoulders (not the shampoo) "vertical", and use my arms as "solid beams" to raise the bar whist I "push the floor down".

The Most Important thing about a deadlift is "breaking the floor". It sounds odd... but once you get it off the floor,,, the next step is past your knees,,, and then you should have it 100%.

>I still think deadlift is a "trick" for everyone except Ed Coan.

it seems like Veeky Forums jumps back and forth from "youll look like shit if you dont add accessories to a beginner program after a few months" and "dont add accessories to your beginner program because itll ruin your gains"

shut up or i'll suck your cock you little faggot

Holy fucking tumblr batman. I genuinely hope you dont talk as gay as you type.

Thanks that makes sense. I'll try to contract my arms to make them stay in place/be solid beams and the head and shoulders also help. For some reasons I always look at the bar before lifting it, and it makes sense that if my back is already straight/vertical I won't need to bring it up, so no rounding.

Other dude gave me a link that I'll also watch. I shall send you both waves of deadlift gains if it helps.

the 2 parts of that statement does not contradict each other in any way

dont add accessories to your program if they get in the way, but you wont look as good if you leave them behind. either way, for the first few months all youre looking to do is get proper form, promote a consistent habit in eating, sleeping, rest etc.

it needs to be said again and again, linear programming should only lat 6-9 months before you ease into intermediate programs. 6-9 months is not sufficient to look good for someone who is fat or skelly in the first place

I've been doing squats 3x5 and have gotten to 245lb and have plateaued (gaining weight and getting enough sleep) . I have neglected to do any diddlys as well. I can try doing deadlifts again but should i just move on to TM?

If you change the program, YNDTP.

Do the fucking program until you run out of noob gains.

Personally I found the bench volume way too low on SS.

8hrs of sleep is a meme bro. Nice if you can get it but hardly the benchmark for a good nights sleep. There is no magic number.

>start going to the gym 7 months ago
>do retarded all body workout suggested by PT
>switch to SS 2 months in
>everyone in the gym is a complete dyel
>girls barely squat 10 kg plates
>guys quarter squatting 40 kg
>5 months later I can squat 3 plates
>every gym session has become a ritual
>I start warming up with the empty bar
>as soon as I put the second plate on, girls start looking, complete dyels start sweating
>as soon as I put the third plate on, I start receiving more direct looks, and in the end some questions

the funny thing is, I am a dyel as well, people think I have been lifting for years, when in fact I have only been doing SS for 5 months

SS is no joke guys, it's the real deal if you want to get strong. I started lifting for size as well, but size does not motivate me. It takes a long ass time to see any difference in the mirror. Strength however? No, that shit gets better workout by workout, week by week. You can see the results, you can feel the results.

Do fit's version of greyskull lp instead. And add in more accessories if you want (more rear delt/abs/lower back/calves.. etc work). You'll be much better off and avoid any serious muscle imbalances when you reach the intermediate phase.

I can understand the basis of dips/pullups because they're fundamentally good accessory gifts once you start adding some weight to them.

The user suggested situps and bicep curls which are roughly as useful to a beginner as ensuring you masturbate with alternating hands.

>gifts

lifts.

>deadlift alternative?

Mediocrity

Deadlifts are a meme and you don't need to do them if you're already squatting 3 times a week and doing power cleans once a week.

You can replace them by doing back extensions, rows and pull-ups instead.

why would you want to skip your Deadlifts? Literally the best exercise ever

Oh my god. Please, for the love of gains, post picture.

youtube.com/watch?v=QnRTDhdWHkc&t=393s

He is not a powerlifter and you can build a good back without them.

That said, if you are doing SS - do your deadlifts.

>He is not a powerlifter and you can build a good back without them.

it's not about not having to do them, but not wanting to do them. it makes you feel fucking powerful to move all that weight by yourself. it also works more than your back too

It's a lower-body move that also hits your spinal erectors if done conventional. It's a meh exercise to be honest - there are far better back exercises (rows, shrugs, rack pulls, RDLs, chin-ups, pull-ups, good mornings) and far better lower-body exercises than it.

The thing about the deadlift is that you can be pretty DYEL and still pull high numbers because the lift isn't as dependent on overall muscle development like the squat and bench (the latter especially). It's a bit of an ego lift lol.

>Deadlift
>not dependend on overall muscle development
How the fuck should the deadlift be any different then a bench or a squat? what do you think you move that bar with?

I comes down to where the bar is. If you don't have a degree of back thickness and overall mass, a squat will drive you forward. For the deadlift the bar is in front of you and you aren't supporting it with your body.

It's not uncommon to have guys who weigh 70kg struggle with 180kgs but deadlift 210kgs.

>It's a lower-body move that also hits your spinal erectors if done conventional
A deadlift is literally a quarter squat.

>Mediocrity

He's already using a program made by Ripp

THIS. If you deadlift regularly and can't break 275 but squat 3pl8 you're not hitting depth. I weigh like 170lb at 6ft can go months without deadlifting and still do 290lb deads (this isn't a brag I'm not saying that's good at all) and I only squat like 240lbs.

Need help on deadlift.
What do I do if I want to stop alternate grip deads but have a shit grip. I can do almost 315 alternate grip but conventional grip struggle with 265lbs. Don't really want to use straps. I've tried hook it doesn't help at all.

>>what accessories should I add to SS

Fuck you you fucking piece of shit. If you had actually read the book you would've gotten your answer from the man himself and saved us all a lot of time. Retards like you is the reason this board is so fucking shit. I hope you get a serious back injury and that you get prescribed opiate pain medications to manage it which will fuck up your body for the rest of your life.

Nigga you ain't gonna recover from TM. It's worse - look up HLM Andy Baker.

How to "sit" between legs when you highbar squat?

I've tried making my stance wider and toes out a little more. I have long femurs but even still my upper back is arched hard when I squat instead of my back being a straight line. My chest is almost too "up".

How to keep neutral spine?

>legs more than 50% body
>genetic lottery

NO GODDAMN I'M A MAN

feels fucking bad man.

>lower back gives out before legs
>you have to look up on the squat

this roidhead doesnt know how to squat

my lower back hurts in basically every exercise
is it caused by apt?

Will check it out. I'm deloading 30% on my squats for the first time today, after this poop. I'll stick to SS and see if my DOMS get unbearable once I rereach 3pl8. If I do, I'll compare and talk about TM and HLM.

My 130lbs endurance runner friend squats lmao4pl8, I refuse to believe that I'm approaching a limit.

You are weak.

Fix it.

Find postural correction tips online. Jewtube full of them.

Fix posture.

High bar is literally the natural way any correctly formed human squats, with just a slight extra effort put into core bracing.

I have headaches, is it caused by cancer?

Post pics of you standing, we can't say otherwise.

guys help ive gotten to 3pl8 squat 1rm but my bench is stuck at 1pl8 5rm shouldnt it be higher?
my bench doesnt go up

Your form probably suck. Squat or bench or both.

my squat form is pretty good

>currently have 155 lb bench and 180 lb squat counting the bar for both
>feel like I'm pushing what I'm capable of for those weights at 3x5
Am I not trying hard enough on squats or what?
Also, are power cleans absolutely necessary? Because I'm shit at them and don't really have anyone to teach me.

Seriously this.. I've only been lifting about 2 months, can deadlift 280, but can only squat about 150. Last year, I worked out for about 3 months and was "squatting" over 300, but never once broke parallel. For some reason, I could never get my past my knees until I did glute bridges literally twice. Then suddenly, ass to grass, but also pretty much a complete reset on the weight. Now I cringe seeing anyone not going atg.

Main thing I would add personally is pull ups like other are saying along with lateral raises and reverse flys. It will really help give you a wide look.

How get better at squats. It's my only lift that is lagging and extremely hard to add weight every session. I know my cut doesn't help but it not affecting other lifts. Squats just fucking kill me. Rather do more diddle lifts

Sup guys, been on SS for a little under a year. Fucked around for some of that, so not the fastest progression. Lifts for 3x5 (cept diddylift 1x5):
150kg squat
102kg bench
70kg ohp
160diddylift (worst lift, huge legs small torso and arms meant I had a lot of difficulty getting into position to begin with).

My question - Ive been high bar squatting on the program. I know that SS calls for low bar squats, however I have very bad mobility in my shoulders caused by a crash a few years back. In short, it's absolute fucking agony to get in low bar position. Tried many stretches and saw a chiropractor to see if i could get it fixed to no avail.

I've accepted that I have to stick to high bar, Glenn pendlay wrote an article that stated that there is not a great deal of difference between lb and hb for those who don't plan to compete, so that most people shouldn't worry about it. While Ripp bangs on about posterior chain work being neglected in hb squats. Who is right? And does it matter?

Thanks anons.

pls link

A squat is a squat, don't worry too much about it.

>>what accessories should I add to SS
pic related

>>If I take out deadlifts will it ruin my gains
your core will be weak

>>deadlift alternatives?
sumo deadlifts, jefferson deadlifts, trap-bar deadlift

I took a picture at what I thought was OK depth. You were right, I don't break parallel with all of my thigh. Deloading + more focus on bringing my beer guts inside is needed. Thanks user.

I have to take it even slower and with better focus. I video'd all of my lifts today, dude in blue behind thought I was an autist, but it helped me confirm that squat form is what needed work.

>but chances are that you're too weak for curls and brosplit stuff to do anything for you.
lmao what?

same, i feel self conscious when i make noise on diddlys but then i remember that the heaviest ive seen someone deadlift was 2pl8

How did you think this was acceptable depth in the first place? You're supposed to sit down, not bend over

they are different

there's more muscle mass involved in a low bar squat, period
the mechanics are slightly different
activation of the quads and glutes is different

all of these have their consequences
two of which I can name right now:
>your quads will be stronger
>your posterior chain will be weaker
this might just be one reason for your "weak" deadlift

My belly legit gets in the way, and I wasn't 100% confident hence why I took your advices and realized my wrong-doings. I have front mirrors but no side, and I'm not totally spatially aware of my body since I'm still a newb.

I'll try deload, very hard belly tuck, and sitting down. I wanted to hip drahve.

I do chin ups at the end of workout A, dips after workout B.
People usually go to failure for 3 sets but I usually do this:
>start at 2 sets of 5, on the third set go to failure
>if you fail to reach 5 on the third set, or don't make it to third set, start at 2 sets of 4 reps next workout
>if you get to 5, but not 8, stay on 5 reps next workout
>if you get to 8, do some math: add all reps (5+5+8=18) and divide by 3, result is working reps for next workout (2 sets of 6 in this case)
>the goal for next workout would be 9 in order to reach 7 working reps
>repeat each workout
I just did 8+8+11 dips, but I'm still on 5+5+6 chin ups. Thoughts on this method?

Pretty autistic but seems about right. Once you get to 10 or 12 reps you should just add weight.

I don't get it. Deadlifts are the most fun exercise there is.

Here. Or you can just do ICF 5x5 or Alphadestiny's novice program if you can't be bothered, they're pretty much the same.

>Strength however? No, that shit gets better workout by workout

Boy are you in for a rude awakening soon.

Widen your stance.

It will probably be hard and uncomfrotable and you'll maybe even feel like your knees are about to blow to pieces. But that's just your tight hip flexors. Stretching them before and after each session for a few weeks will sort that out.

If not, lose the belly fat and start over.

Once my flexors get used to it, should I get back to shoulder-width stance?

Also, should I widen my stance for diddlydies? I try to go for a shoulder-width too; I feel like I don't work as hard because the bar travels less in a wider stance, if that makes sense.

not him but there's no need to go back to a narrow stance, you're fine keeping it a little wider

and shoulder-width is fine for DLs if you're doing it without your belly being in the way. your stance shouldn't be particularly wide on DL's anyway

>Once my flexors get used to it, should I get back to shoulder-width stance?

Sure. But won't your belly still be in the way? Seemed to me like that was your main issue and widening your stance will allow you to get it past your legs. Look at the super-heavyweight weightclass in powerlifting. They all squat with a really wide stance because their gut gets in the way.

Deadlifts are another story and I must confess I don't know as much about it. I can only speak from personal experience here. I'm 6ft 171lbs with long shins, short arms and a long torso. basically terrible for deadlifting. I find that my most powerful position is with a narrow stance and feet straight forward like pic related anyhow. Again, if your stomach gets in the way you may want to widen your stance. Google: "brian shaw deadlift stance"

Althought I don't really deadlift that often. I'm a weightlifter and most of my pulls are cleans and snatches and I setup completely different for those lifts.

Friendos, lanklet two weeks in SS here.
I just failed two times the last rep in squat, with only 24 KG + bar.
What am i doing wrong?
I'm going down low, but it gets really hard to get up after the third rep, and i know is bitch weight.

youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

HIP DRAHVE.
kind of a Veeky Forums meme, but the advice is sound

You're not eating enough and you're not sleeping enough and you're losing tightness in your core which leads to buttwink and lumbar flexion out of the hole. No tightness means a lot of energy gets wasted and you fail the lift.

drop the weight, fix your form, work on mobility, sleep, eat, drink water