Whenever i plank i cant feel my abs working at all. First my shoulders get tired...

Whenever i plank i cant feel my abs working at all. First my shoulders get tired, then my legs then i start shaking and have to stop. Do planks even work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EtO0CutfR8Y
youtube.com/watch?v=kL_NJAkCQBg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They can fuck your spine up, so be careful.

lol at that graphic. ungtrained should be able to do at least 90 seconds. Advanced is more like 5 minutes

That is nonsense, they're great for having healthy spine stability

>advanced: 90 seconds
What.
I hate static planks, I just add rotation.

>advanced
>90secs

that's one of those infographic pics to make fatties feel better about themselves right ? I mean i don't isolate abs,i'm skinny fat and have been lifting 3 months and i can hold a plank for more than 2 and a half minute which is also a shit time

This, i got up to 4 after trying for about 3 weeks.

Your form isn't proper.

you have to activate your abs and gluts while doing a plank. Try to press your toes on the ground and your elbows to. Like if you try to move your elbows to your feet and vice versa.

op here. i am bracing all my muscles as hard as possible and like i said. shoulders -> legs ->shaking -> end. i am sweating but cant feel the abs at all.

Well after a while your core just gets good at it and you can just go for ages - i think the world record is something stupid like over a day. So other muscles will tire first.

lol

this

It isn't. If you do the wrong (like OP) they can fuck you up big time, just google it.

I would call myself a beginner (plank time about 90seconds) and for me, my arms tire first, even tough I can definitely feel my abs working.

Everything can fuck up your spine when working out. Bodyweight exercises like planks are amongst the least dangerous exercises you can do. You'd have to be utterly retarded to seriously injure yourself doing a plank even when doing them wrong.

Have you considered that your shoulders and legs are shit?

This is especially relevant for skinnyfats. You're so light that a plank is even easier for you than a built guy your height, but your shoulders and legs are so shit that they tire within seconds.

He probably doesn't have that great of form but
>skinny fat and have been lifting 3 months
He's likely not holding up much weight so it's possible, especially if he's short.

Totally agree. Most sites I'm seeing stating the opposite are retarded. They don't have proof, reputable sources, or even simple logic to go with it. There is FAR more literature out there stating planks are good for bad backs.

It's among the most common exercises for back injury recovery, in fact.

Try tucking your hips under like you would for a quadriceps stretch. Also squeeze your butt some.
You may be losing some core workout from having your lower back a little arched.

not that guy but my form is just fine, and I can do 2 sets of 5 minutes. It's really hard though and I sweat like crazy, even getting sweat in my eyes.

I'm not even remotely strong either, 1/2/2.5/3.5

So, what't the good plank time?

I don't understand planking. I'd never done it before, my family heard of it and i walked in and they told me to do it and it was easy and i did it for like a minute didnt even feel anything but they cant for even 10 seconds, why, it's just laying on your arms.

Are you keeping your dick off the floor? Back should be straight, youll know youre doing it right when your abs start to burn. Get good form.

Maybe your core isn't dyel. Sometimes I only start feeling the burn after 1.5-2 minutes.

you have to squeeze your glutes

Or get someone else to squeeze your glutes...

In my case it's the lower back that starts burning.

When I do the plank I just do it with my arms extended as though about to do push-ups. Am I missing out on a benefit?

yes you're doing the easy version

OK. I'd mainly just been using it as a way to break up push-up sets.

Just tried it for the first time and got 1 min 19 seconds. Started feeling hard after 45 seconds or so.

Try not becoming erect during the plank and you may last longer.

youtube.com/watch?v=EtO0CutfR8Y

The proper way to do a plank

long lever posterior tilt plank
only thing better is ab wheel

That is the true true. Had back surgery and during rehab I did planks and side planks.

Keep your spine reasonably straight. Lower your belly until you're feeling the strain in your core.

They make you do planks after BACK SURGERY, you fucking autist.

>2000+17
>Planks
>Not Ab wheel

Shiggidicklet

I've been using a dumbbell as an ab wheel.
That shit makes an annoying squeaking noise though god damn.

>90 second plank is ADVANCED

holy shit, for once in my life I may actually be good at something!

I did that too for few weeks, then spent 10 euros to get a shitty ab wheel from shitmart. So fucking worth it. Lovely core gains.

Lol i did 60secs at 320lbs and i was total couch potato, month of ab wheel and i could do 2 minutes...planks are a meme

AB wheel is straight murder

I broke mine trying to do standing ones and falling on it, but it still works and now it's harder to roll giving me some nice resistance.

It's more like a prone Hollow Hold

this guy is best

youtube.com/watch?v=kL_NJAkCQBg

this