Fasting

I've heard there are benefits to intermittent fasting and I've been eating one big meal a day for about a week and don't really suffer any headaches or anything which I heard some people get. Does anyone have experience with eating only once a day or is it just a meme? Also I've been eating my huge meal maybe an hour before lifting, would it be better to eat it after and maybe drink aminos during the workout or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All of it sounds good to me. As long as you're monitoring calorie intake and not feeling like shit, go for it.

>eating my huge meal maybe an hour before lifting

how huge are we talking? i can't imagine lifting that soon after a big meal.

What if I'm not counting out calories? If I just watch my weight and make sure it doesn't change too rapidly and I don't lose a ton of strength is that good enough?

I'm 215lbs right now and the meal is about 2200 calories. If I wait an hour I feel fine.

>What if I'm not counting out calories?
I feel like you are at least somewhat because of
As long as you're not eating horrible food you shouldn't be hurting yourself. You will never get fine-grained control over your body until you start acurately measuring your intakes, though.

I did waterfasting once for 4 days, that was a real cool experience.

Eating again after 4 days felt heavenly, it makes you really think about how hormones and different moods effect your mental wellbeing.

Been doing IF since end of December. I have gone from 205 at 6' to 185 as of yesterday. If you are IF properly, it legitimately feels like you are cheating. Since I have dropped the 20 lbs, my deadlift has gone up by 15 lbs, bench has gone up by 10, and my squat is about the same. I honestly prefer the diet to eating regularly, but I doubt I will be able to bulk while IF.

IF is beneficial because your insulin spikes for about 2 hours after you eat. This increases your cortisol levels, slows the production of hgh, and causes you to store calories immediately. During the fasting window is when your pancreas is pumping out hgh and you will have higher test levels. Because it takes about 2 hours for your insulin production to stop, the difference between eating all your calories in one meal vs over the course of a few hours is near negligible. It is many times more important that when you are in your fasting window that you DO NOT break the fast. Once you spike your insulin during that window, it defeats the purpose of what you are trying to do.

I personally have started lifting earlier in the day and just doing it fasted. Deadlifting on an empty stomach may seem counter intuitive, but once I tried it I actually prefer it. If you like eating an hour or so before working out, I would recommend having a light meal before, then eating your large meal after. You will get the benefit of both worlds. Most people do feeding windows of 6 hours so don't feel bad about eating your food over a few hour period.

>I doubt I will be able to bulk while IF

I've been eating 3000 calories within a four hour window for about a month and a half. It's easier than you think.

I'm crash dieting on 300 calories/day in one meal. I can only will myself to keep on it for about 2 weeks before I gotta bump it up to like 1000 cals in 2 meals for a few days then i can drop it back down.

Started this when I was 380lbs @6'0 and now i'm 230 lbs. Aiming for 190 then ill start lifting and trying to find a balanced diet that I can live with

Please start lifting now. You're going to look absolutely disgusting if you don't.

Make sure to eat around 105g of protein a day and as little carbs as possible (as close to 0). Lift 3x a week.

Since you already have a huge caloric deficit, do very light cardio for like 20 minutes a day. Just to get your blood and heart going.

Doing something similar at 250 lbs at 6'2''

Eat 800 calories/day for 4 days, have 1 day where I can eat anything I want except carbs.

Not him but is there a good program for this while you are at a massive caloric deficit?

I do heavy cardio every other day and "lifting" on the other days. I said start lifting simply because all I do now is a basic upper body/back routine with dumbbells. Started with 10lbs weights and now up to 35lbs weights but I can't seem to go any higher. At this point i believe i'm at the limit of what I can build running on such a defect.

What are your sets and reps?

>x10 one arm dumbbell row (switch arms at the end)
>x20 Push ups
>x10 Should Press
>x10 Alternating curls
>x10 Triceps extensions
>x20 shrugs

do all this 3 times

with the same weight?

I just do 4x12 curls with 20 lbs and then a bunch of bodyweight shit like handstands and presses

Yeah, tried to step up to 40lbs a few times but can't do it no matter how much I increase my reps with the 35lbs weights

High reps builds endurance, not strength. Try bumping up the weight and only doing 5 reps. You should be able to see constant progression. And since your only eating 300 Calories a day, make sure you split it between fat and protein. Protein to prevent muscle loss. Fat to keep hormonal output normal. Also eat some carbs on the day when you eat 1000 calories.

Nice to see a civilised, informative, respectful thread on Veeky Forums for once.

*BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP*

I can do 1 maybe 2 reps max with the 40lbs weight. Anything after that and my form is so shit i'm not getting anything out of it.

I usually almost faint with my deadlifts, would the low bloodsuger not make that a lot worse?

Can any medfags here tell me if fasting really helps break down excess skin into protein? Also how long a fast is optimal for autophagy?

Since you're probably obese and never trained before, any sort of light cardio and lifting (machines) is good. You want to use your muscles and burn your glycogen stores. You should read the fat loss handbook. You can find a PDF of it rather easily.

High intensity cardio is counter productive. Something to do with stress hormones and also hunger.

light weights?

As much as you can do, you probably can't do much anyway.

I don't know why I'm shocked that so many of you are doing crash diets. I did it, I don't care how stupid it is or what anyone else tells you, if you can handle it it's a good way to lose fat.

Don't listen to people saying weight too fast causes loose skin, you'll get it no matter what.

Listen very carefully: "no"

I've done the same amount of time, you crave shit you never really even liked. For me it was oatmeal cookies

>light weights

Babaaaaaay

The body adapts to this type of regimes
The problem comes when you resume a 3-4 meal plan again
The restriction during the fasting stage leads to binge habits, and puts the body into massive fat creation mode.... your insulin levels get borked bad

This is my own experience, because after a year of IF, I went into a phase of massive bf gains

>but cals in cals out, user
Then why are you fasting?

Once again, train the carbs

That's so mind boggling retarded. Do you still count calories? Fucking once a week cheat day faggots, I say

>The body adapts to this type of regimes
>The problem comes when you resume a 3-4 meal plan again
>The restriction during the fasting stage leads to binge habits, and puts the body into massive fat creation mode.... your insulin levels get borked bad
>This is my own experience, because after a year of IF, I went into a phase of massive bf gains

got any proof or just anecdotal evidence

it's just my own experience
I learnt that the only healthy way of controlling hunger is a balance between muscle and heart

The only way to hormonally stay on check, is to cardio along lifting

Fasting just emulates the same effects by caloric restriction

>only 3k
Kid, come back when you're eating at least 4K per IF cycle.

You got fat because you have weak will power that's all.

IF is the simplest easiest fucking diet you can do and you just used "FASTING AM BAD" as an excuse to eleviate any guilt from going full fucking hog wild with consumption.

And no, you will fucking NEVER outlift or outrun a piss poor diet unless you are both on the worlds best gear and training in a world level capacity.

I do IF, eating window 12pm-8pm. Works well for my schedule considering I am not hungry in the morning anyways. Allows for bigger dinners too which I like.

Always leaner too when doing IF even when on maintenance. Stopped due to winter bulk. Bulked too hard, back on IF. Plan to stick to it year round this time, even if bulking.

Thats not the case
sumos use fasting to get fat
You just dont understand the hormonal effects of a restrictive diet on the long run
IF turns into massive eating disorders

>sumos use fasting to get fat
citation needed

Yeah I dont go crazy

Ill eat like 3000 calories twice a week and 800 the other 5

Works for me

Probably couldnt keep it up if I had no cheat days

youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY

They get fat because they eat a lot of calories.

i've been doing IF and i've actually managed to increase my lifts while losing weight, but that's probably because im still pretty weak so it's mainly CBT adaptation for me still
so long as you're getting your protein requirements i cant imagine it being too much of an issue

How much protein should I eat at 232 pounds? My goal weight is 160, so should I eat 72g of protein a day?

Do you want enough for your goal weight or for your current weight? I read 1g of protein per kg.

Then, why fasting? People throw thermodynamics, then they fast or talk macros
its pretty funny

you're aiming for a 72kg bodyweight? I always try to get at least 125kg of protein in and i weight 92kg. It's not particularly difficult to get protein in

IF works decently well
If you've got the time look into doing an hour of LISS cardio in the morning too.
Also you should really count your calories closely so that you make sure that you A) get enough protein so that you don't have unnecessary muscle wasting, and B) get enough fats and carbohydrates so you don't feel like complete shit and can function throughout they day.

I have been intermittent fasting for a few weeks now but I still drink coffee with coconut oil when i wake up half way through my 16 hour fast with like a true memer. how bad is this is it killing the benefits of the fast? should I stop that? would black tea 0 calories with nothing added in the morning be ok?

I assume you're cutting. Eat 1.2-1.7 grams per kilo as a strength athlete (assuming you're lifting weights like you should be). This is the recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine.

Eating based on your "goal weight" is retarded. You're not that fucking weight. If you want to build and retain lean mass while cutting, you need protein. It's like a 135 lb twink that wants to be Hafthor mode deciding he needs to start eating 8,000 kcal a day right now.

Kek how am I supposed to get 200g of protein a day with 1600 calories?

A chicken breast and 4 shakes?

200g of protein on 1600 calories a day doesn't even make sense to begin with.

people do it with coconut oil yeah but I'd rather not ingest any calories whatsoever during the fasting

yeah i think i am going to switch to tea in the morning and the coconut oil coffee later when a break my fast. maybe ditch the tea in the morning later. drinking loads of water during the fast is fine? I heard from a friend who is a big IF advocate it is good to drink less water as well.

Taking any calories kills your fast. Just don't take anything.

there is never a good reason to drink less water

How do I eat 105g of protein with 800 calories? I take 2 scoops of my protein powder, that's 50g with about 300 calories.

I usually get the rest from cans of tuna, but I've started feeling really nauseous from the tuna and it makes me feel like shit for the whole day. It's just tuna that does this, when I eat the rest with fish fillets I feel fine.

Mercury poisoning is a meme, right? It's easier to prepare fish than chicken, and I like the taste better.

mercury poisoning isnt a meme

How does one prevent a downsyndrome face like this guy? One of the reasons I want to get down to really low bf% is for face gains.

fookin hate clarence

>an hour before lifting

Not gonna make it.