Ask a supplement shop owner anything

Ask a supplement shop owner anything

Other urls found in this thread:

labdoor.com/rankings/protein
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you going to not answer any questions like every AMA thread ever?

What age/race/gender are most of your customers and what are the top 5 products you sell

Are you nervous that Amazon sells half of your shit at 40% less than you do, and makes more money doing so?

how often do people ask where they can get juice

are you making money with this?

Have you ever considered adding kratom, cbd and phenibut to the stock?

ill answer until i go to sleep or the thread dies bb

male 18-35
50 50 white and hispanic
sale breakdown is like
pre workout 35%
protein 30%
aminos, creatine, secondary supplements 20%
vitamins, snacks, drinks, apparel 15%

>are you making money with this?

markup on the chinese bathtub chemicals in these things is like 5000%

granted, the profit is better if you mix the shit and brand it yourself

you can get all the ingredients you need on alibaba from china, by the containerful for next to nothing

only problem is the marketing, but here is where instagram hookers come into play

GNC?

Not really, there is a gigantic amount of people that prefer shopping in a store as opposed to waiting 2-3 days for something to ship. Not only that, but we are pretty much on par with many online retailers when you factor in shipping costs. Im aware ill never make as much money as those guys, but im okay with that.
Not really at all. I dont want that shit in my store. There are other supp shops in the area that have that, and frankly its just a matter of time until they get fucked. Socal doesnt play that shit.

Yeah im still fairly new, but our growth has been much faster than we anticipated. I carry phenibut, im not very familiar with kratom and cbd to be frank.

Youd be surprised man. Pre workouts are your cash cow, and generally my profit margins are around 35-75%
Im very competitive with pricing so im definitely not ripping anyone off.
>you can get all the ingredients you need on alibaba from china, by the containerful for next to nothing

Thats true, but as a shop owner, i can tell very quickly if the product is any good or not. I dont sell household brands, and i always ask for third party testing before i bring in any brands. If a customer gets sick off some basement made shit, its my ass.

im an independent

What supplements do YOU use?

kratom and CBD is more grey area shit that gets u sorta high. look into it.

How much did it cost to get up and running. I have 50k available. I want to own a business. How long did it take you to make good money?

How's business?

Gaspari precision protein as a clean post workout.
Nutrex muscle infusion as a snack/meal replacement. This is by far the best tasting protein i have ever fucking tried, and it has a little more carbs.
Inspired Nutraceuticals DVST8 pre workout. Performance based pre workout thats efficaciously dosed with every ingredient, so its not just a caffeine heavy stim product.

Myovite multi
CLA, carnitine tartrate,
omega complex
ZMA

How do you sleep at night?

will do family.
It cost me around 45-50k
that was with rent, marketing, shelves, cashwrap, POS software, inventory. Our store is decently big though so this can vary tremendously. I figure you can get a small spot set up with around 40ish. We just had our first 25k month, so im finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and we are very new so theres alot to be excited about

Going really well considering how new we are. Sales are up 50% since this whole new year new me shit.

ZMA helps

How long have you been in business? How hard was it the first few months?

Weve been in business under 2 years. Frankly, we had a really good business plan, knew people in the industry, have a really nice shop setup, and have marketed very well so we have actually been self sustaining since the very first month. Considerable profits came after month 6.

Interesting. So if you're not well connected, would you say the chances for failure are pretty high?

What is the direction the industry is leaning towards?
What is the top selling brand in general?
What is the top selling protein?
Why is muscle milk so garbage, but cytogainer is pretty great, and they're both made by cytosport?

Not necessarily. Its just that knowing reps in the industry gave me a big step ahead in knowing what products to bring in from the get go. From talking to other first time owners, distributors regularly try to sell you products that they get spiffs on, so you really have to sift through alot of bullshit to really break down what the best brands are, while still making money off of them. Also, knowing reps will enable you to order directly through companies, and getting better discounts at the same time.

Did you have a good day today?

Today was fairly steady/busy. Mondays are generally the busiest day outside of fri/sat. Sundays are the slowest.

Do you ever feel bad for scamming people into buying bs products that don't work?

I think full label disclosure is becoming much better. Label accuracy in general has gotten a lot better after many big companies got called out on shit.
We don't push a specific product dio everything sells aboit the same. ON is still probably slightly the best seller.
I think cytosport protein tastes like shit desu. Overly sweet and filled with creamers.

Like in any industry, you should do your research and look into companies that put out solid products. If you're buying 30dollar test boosters and c4 off of BB.com of course you're getting shilled. That doesn't mean that you have to break the bank, nor does it mean that there aren't great and affordable brands. Live in the grey, user

Do you ever have to throw out expired products? Do you lock your dumpster?

If a product is even close to expiration, the companies swap it out for me

R U natty

Naww, I've been taking creatine for 5 years now tbhwyfamily

whats your personal favorite preworkout?
also, thoughts on Optimum Nutrition protein?

Personal favorite pre workout is Loco by Myoblox

ON is an amazing company. They are all about honesty and quality to a T. They are owned by the biggest cheese manufacturer in Europe, so they don't have to outsource any raw ingredients from other countries. They don't cut corners. Their protein label states 24g per scoop, but every lab test will show you at least 26-28g per scoop. That says a lot about a company. WITH THAT being said, as a consumer, I would personally rather spend 25% less on a high quality protein that's 95% as good, then buy ON at a premium. But if you do want the best, then ON is literally the Gold Standard.

Bmp

Hey Op, have you heard of companies doing the dodgy on protein? like opening, putting 'fillers' in and putting everything back together to make it look legit again?

imma hella paranoid bout that shit, how common is it?

my ON protein seal was stuck inside the lid and I know this can be common but still makes me wonder if it's been tampered with

What's your opinion on my protein?

How many of your protein powders are completely free of artificial sweeteners?

What other major trends are you noticing? I notice a lot of "one meal a day" people are cutting back on protein powders because they only bought them for daily convenience (they previously wanted 30g protein in 5 meals every 3 hours) and now they just get all the protein at once from a bigger meal after working out fasted.

where do you work

Nah companies, especially ON, won't go to those lengths. Doing that would be too laborsome. Companies do regularly get products manufactured on the cheap, then purposely mislabel their products to make it look better.
Body fortress, six star, muscletech, rogue, biohealth, and core8 are all recent offenders to stay away from. I'm sure there are many more so if a label looks too good to be true, it very well may be.

Don't they have the plastic wrapping around the lid? I know for sure the ON from Costco and the other proteins have the plastic wrap. Currently I got the ON bag that one is probably harder to tamper with since you gotta pull it apart and is more obvious when you open the zip lock and the bag is already pulled apart.

What are the best whey protein and creatine brands you recomend?

Holy shit, is this nutrimart?

I haven't personally tried it but have never heard anything bad about it. I know it's the top rated protein on lab door, though I honestly strongly disagree on how they actually rate products.
We carry now foods natural flavored protein and that's it. It doesn't sell very much at all. Most protein it's flavored with small amounts of sucralose, and I personally have not read any articles that say it has a negative effect.
My shop is in southern California

Do you work in San Diego county?

Too many to list tbqh
I wouldn't over think creatine too much though if you want the best, look into creatine magnapower.

As far as protein I stated above that I currently take gaspari precision protein, and nutrex muscle infusion.

I wouldn't tell you if it was

Why

All I ask is if the owners first name begin with an EG. Plz let me know

Your pic looks very familiar. I was visiting a cousin in socal and I might've stopped by your shop

Isn't cla all hype

Image search shows it as a golds gym in Burnaby Canada. Don't think OP would put his actual shop.

Opinions on BodyTech whey?

Just pulled it from Google m8
Clinical studies showing cla's benefits are all in the 5g+ plus range, by unless you're a micro manlet, up your dose for better results. Stacking it with carnitine tartrate is very strongly recommended if you want a solid, stimulant free weight loss aid. And you can always stack those 2 with yohimbe and synephrine if you want added metabolic benefits. I just don't like stimulants very much.

Why do you think you sell so much pwo?

Are there any good brands of shaker cups? I usually use a blender, but sometimes I don't have time for it.

>Body fortress

Use it since its everywhere and I'm bit of a poorfag. Don't give a shit about taste, just efficacy. Is the only legit whey $35-$55 a tub?

Because aside from actually working, most people are lazy fucks who never stick to a consistent diet and exercise plan. So they spend all this money on protein, creatine, and bcaas but still go nowhere with their goals. Pre workout is something you physically FEEL working, so they keep buying it as if it'll be the game changer for them.

Where do you source your stuff? Do you buy products for resale or produce and sell your own store brand supps?

I do not make any of my own products. I purchase everything through distribution channels, but work mostly with a handful of companies directly.

Holy shit stop giving out informed opinions on Veeky Forums. We don't do that here.

I won't tell you not to take body fortress, but I will say that you're probably drinking more calories than you think, getting more sugar than you think, and probably getting half the protein content. They straight up list aminos like glycine and taurine in the ingredients list so they're100 percent up front about amino spiking. So is it actually worth it? You're better off paying 5 bucks more

>Poor
>Buying whey
Why

Whey is for convenience

>Poorfag
>$0.75 a serving of protein

I mean it's not the absolute cheapest but if you're entertaining the luxury of whey, what's a few dollars more for superior taste and quality?

>Explaining math to a nigger

Do you make the caps or tabs and injectables yourself? It requires cooking and that takes time.

what happens when stuff expire? do you just throw the stuff away?

Would you give me a discount if I did some sexual favors for you?
No homo of course.

what's the most overpriced sucker supplement that you laugh at them for buying

how can i stop the faggot at the counter from asking me if i have a membership or want to apply for one every time i go there to buy protein

Why did I fail my supplement shop job interview?

It makes no fucking sense. I am educated and experienced and even demonstrated my sense of humor in the interview (a few times I noticed myself saying 'Um...' so I shouted 'UMMM UMMMUMMMMM' as loud as I could and joked 'Thats what I get for taking Mag-Noisy-Um Supplements!)

Why is it so hard to get such a job? Do only sluts get hired?

Pretty witty senpai

Being this fucking stupid, IF only you knew chump.

Don't say umm you fuckin' goon.

I was 18 and got rejected when I had clear coherent speech and knowledge of almost every supp in the store, and the only reason I didn't get hired was because the other guy was out of high school.

Which Preworkout brands would you recommend?

Can I have free preworkout?

Been looking into Kratom. What's a good place to get it online?

lol, I actually saved so much money by going into the GNC by my gym, and asking for preworkout samples. The owner, or worker, would pull out a basket filled and tell me to take whatever I wanted. I would stock up on the samples, which would last like two weeks. Then do it again. Eventually, they stopped getting them, though. So I'm back to burning a hole in my wallet...

Thought I'd share this little "life-hack" for other anons.

Are you Veeky Forums ? I usually only see fatasses or out-of-shape goons in supplement shops.

He's just doing his job, you're the kind of guy that whines over his receipt being checked at Walmart.

Not OP, but I've been to supplement shops where they sell the expired, or close to expired product dirt cheap. I got two 2lb tubs of ON whey for $10 each at a GNC. The worker told me not to mention it to other GNC stores though, or anyone else lol.

This is just a one time experience though, I don't know if any other stores do this.

what are the best tablettes to burn fat as fast as possible? Or what's the best supplement?

how much of what you carry do you consider to be worthless garbage that you sell anyway

You have no idea what you're talking about. I work with Amazon extensively, they are just recently barely profitable. For their first 10 years they pissed money away, but it has worked for them as investors kept lining up. Now they are getting their own logistics network up and running which is why they were losing so much money to begin with, as well as their push into digital programming. They still have a ways to go, and are barely profitable at this point.

MyProtein is rated more highly in terms of quality and it's cheaper. Have you considered importing it?

labdoor.com/rankings/protein

Yohimbine, dnp, clen.

how long can I take Yohimbine? What are you suggesting

Go to /fraud/ and ask, yohimbine has to be taken a specific way.

I've heard CLA can cause liver damage and lower good cholesterol, input?

When I buy some semi obscure amino acid how badly am I getting jewed/chinked? I know a lot of people use MP for whey and creatine but what about this bullshit? Are there any standards in this industry at all?

A picture

CLA has zero evidence supporting its stated benefits. Studies on humans have found no benefits.

research your shit you mongol.

I wasn't asking about the benefits. Learn to read cunt

>am i getting jewed/Chinked?

No

yes, it is I, EGON!

mention this thread for 50% off

Shameless bump since there were alot of questions after i went to bed.

I dont really think i have any shit product in my store. I truly have a high standard for the stuff i carry, and i dont carry any random basement brands to make a buck.
With that being said, the over 50 crowd that comes always look for and love to buy those cheap multivitamins with test boosters in them. I get asked for them all the time so i carry them. I always recommend other products, but they want what they want.
Its like selling c4 or hyde. Its straight garbage, but people will shop for it elsewhere if i dont carry it.

Stop shopping at GNC

for performance pre workouts, DVST8, Loco, Outlift, legion pulse
for stim junkies, electro shock, crimson. for the DMAA crowd, dust extreme, mesomorph

I used to sell product on the cheap on here, but some faggot tried to "expose" me
WHY.jpg

i give out free samples all the time without purchases. I dont really care if someone is trying to be a jew. I know eventually hell probably buy from me.

Im in decent shape if im being honest. Im around 6'0 226, 16-18% body fat. I used to weigh 350 pounds though, so ive been cutting forever LEL. The weightloss is what inspired me to get into the industry. I have a long background in operations management so running a store came naturally to me

My brother is pretty fucking jacked though. 6'4 220 college athlete, boxer so he definitely looks the part more than me.

dieting and tracking your macros correctly.
If you have those things in place, any fat burner that has a decent amount of some of the following combo: carnitine tartrate, cla, yohimbe, synephrine, white willow bark, ephedra, garcinia raspberry ketones etc... will probably help you out CONSIDERING your diet is in check.

see above

The thing is, labdoor purposely rates things like label accuracy and safety too highly, whereas there are much more important factors and too many factors in general to take into account. Im not saying i can make a better rating system, but what im saying is theres is definitely flawed. They also get paid by all of the top brands they recommend on there. I know this because reps tell me they purposely dont put certain brands on their website because competitors pay them not to. This isnt true for all brands.

Thats interesting, it definitely helped with my cholesterol levels in general when i used to be morbidly obese, but i hadnt read into it lowering good cholesterol. I will read into it.

The important thing to look for with BCAAs is this. Are you looking specifically for an intra-workout BCAA? then you want to make sure youre paying for something that isnt loaded with a ton of fillers other than just the BCAAs themselves. HICA is also amazing if it has it. You want as much Leucine, Isoleucine and valine as possible. Your aminos should have AT LEAST 5g of bcaas per serving. It should also always be in the 2:1:1 ratio. If youre buying an amino that is giving you 3g aminos per scoop in a 8:1:1 blend, youre getting jewed. Its ok to have things like glutamine, taurine, citrulline in it, but you can get all of those from other sources, so if it has a ton of those, youre getting fillers. Its also a big plus if your aminos are sourced from plants, or are at least Kyowa quality. The bioavailability of these is just so much higher than most aminos on the market. The companies Myoblox and Inspired make some of the best aminos on the market in my personal opinion.

There have been a few clinical studies done, however the dose we used to use has been found to not be enough. As i said above, search for double blind studies in the 5g-8g range. Its definitely effective.

FFS thank you for telling people that the best way to consistently live a healthier lifestyle and lose weight is to, surprise surprise, track your macros and count calories properly.

Do a lot of people come into your store looking for a quick weight loss solution and ask about fatburners/stims to do it? If all people do is take a fatburner and don't even do something as simple as track what they eat, it's like using a water pistol to put out a housefire... The fact that plenty of people just don't listen to this advice gets me the most.

Yeah its pretty common. I really do try to inform customers of what theyre looking to purchase. Its not like the strong, stim-based fat burners dont work. For me, they have definitely helped in the past as far as curbing appetite, preventing lethargy, and keeping me satiated. Theyre essentially glorified ECA stacks. Unfortunately, most people dont see them that way. They see them as something they can use while not completely changing their lifestyle.
I also offer free diet plans and calorie assessments with every fat burner purchase so people know what to expect. 50% of people dont bother taking us up on our offers lol.

what's do you know about nutrabio brand stuff? are they any good? I get most of my stuff from them