Can a Texas Method be altered for Hypertrophy or is it really only designed for strength training?

Can a Texas Method be altered for Hypertrophy or is it really only designed for strength training?

I just did a lot of reading in Starting Strength and Practical Programming, and in theory, I should be able to use the TM template and just shift the 1RM%s and rep ranges into hypertrophy, and it should be a hypertrophy program, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_PdXfTvxOF0ZXIy3hlVGmo0GeMdRDEz1
hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_index.html
hypertrophyspecific.com/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why not do an actual hypertrophy routine instead?

It's a strength program. Do sheiko instead

Like what?

Hypertrophy routines are so mired in bro-science and market-shilling that I can't fucking tell a reliable program from a bullshit one.

One day someone says PPL is solid as fuck, the next it's 'meme-tier'. Etc, ad nauseum.

I *KNOW* that hypertrophy will be my intermediate program goal, and I'm on the cusp of needing to change up soon, but I'm lost.

Did you read the TM book? It has a part on how to include hypertrophy sets in the training.

Stop getting all your resources and opinions from this shithole of a website. The only good thing about this board is it shoves SS down beginners throats. Everything else is meme troll garbage.

No I haven't yet. Basic outline?

I just said I did a shitload of reading books.

You wouldn't be asking these dumb questions if you actually educated yourself a tiny bit. You've read fuck all.

That's a great non-answer, user. Shows us that you sure know a lot. Gee-wiz, you sure put me in my place. 1/10, got a reply

Do SS

it's a strength program

trying to peak at the end of each week to hit a PR is not at all conducive to hypertrophy, because the amount of fatigue going into ID must be limited (therefore the volume you can use is necessarily limited)

if you want size, train for size

So just take the same lifts, modify the intensity to around the 10-rep ranges (8 on light days, up to 15 on volume days), and you're done?

you need to learn how to program for yourself, there is more to it than high reps = big and low reps = strong

do a proven hypertrophy routine for now like lyle's upper lower

I agree with you man, in my search for hypertrophy training I found so many legit powerlifting communities, books and programs.
There are pages with dedicated experts with detailed reviews of existing programs, that don't try to sell you anything.

For beginner things are clear, do:
>SS
>SL
>GreySkull LP Texas method Madcow 5x5 Built like a badass Juggernaut 5/3/1 Brawn I think Ill just stick to some weekly progression on them while adding some arm insolation once a week...

What about german volume?

The pacing and rhythm of the language used in SS and PP are so repetitive, meandering, and vague that even if i *think* they're saying you can modify TM to be hypertrophy, they never outright say it. They always squirl around on some topic by chopping it up between 3 massive chapters and each sentence only giving a fragment of the fucking riddle they lay out to you. It's awful, but I guess it's how they sell you on PT/coaching sessions.

Admittedly, the title is "Practical Programming for STRENGTH", but they talk a whole lot of length about adding mass as a goal too. Fucking frustrating.

Thanks

Cannot speak for the others but Texas Method is more on the strength side and Madcow is a little more conducive for hypertrophy.

If you enjoying doing SS and seeing your lifts and body weight go up progressively you will likely have a good time doing TM or MC. Though I recommend adding more volume and isolation to the upperbody exercises.

But if you want to step into pure hypertrophy training (uncharted territory for me, personally) I suppose you should look elsewhere.

add 2-3 accesory exercises at the end of every session to Target weakpoints. arms, glutes, chest, etc.

that's all it takes.

Day1 4x8 Day2 5x5 Day3 5x3. Add an extra session for some body building shit if you have the time.

Holy shit just do a push/pull/legs routine. You can make you're own, they're all the same and have the same results if you stick with them. Here's an example.
>push day
Barbell or dumbell bench 3x12
Incline bench 3x12
Dumbell fly 3x12
Tricep extensions 3x12
Skull crushers 3x13
Dips 3x12
>pull day
Back extensions 3x12
Barbell rows or pullups 3x12
Shrugs 3x12
Dumbell curls 3x12
Any other variety of curls 3x12
>legs
Squats 3x12
Leg press 3x12
Ham curls 3x12
Calf raises 3x12
Throw dumbell OHP in there.
I just made you a routine.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_PdXfTvxOF0ZXIy3hlVGmo0GeMdRDEz1
watch these if you want to learn about lifting

if you get stronger

your muscles get bigger.

texas method is outstanding for squat and deadlift. Its bench is meh, i think it needs more bench volume.

"junk volume"
the bench portion of any rippetoe or rippetoe offshoot routine is generally abysmal

still, for hypertrophy TM is a poor choice

why not just train according to your goals and do a hypertrophy focused upper lower or something?

The issue is that once you are past the novice stage your programming will become much more individual to your own goals. The book (PP) lays out how you should program, it isn't going to tell you exactly what to do like it does in SS

hypertrophyspecific.com/hst_index.html
hypertrophyspecific.com/index.html

actually read all of the stuff

SS is trash for beginners though.
It pushes the idea of infinite PR goals and strength gains and pisses on high rep lifting and lifting for other goals then being a piss poor powerlifter.

There's a reason why litterally every strength trainer and power lifter of note started with a moderate rep body builder/basic weight lifting program.

This

i understand your frustration. you're about to "milk" those beginner gains to their full extent, and you're wondering what's next.

first, ask yourself what your goal is (probably to get even stronger, and get even more muscle size, right?).
secondly, how many days per week do you want to train? (3 is enough, 4 is ideal for an intermediate lifter, imho)
finally, think about your weaknesses. are your shoulders lagging? does your back need more work? etc.

when you've answered these questions, think of exercises that will bring your lagging parts up.

in my honest opinion, upper/lower or push/pull is what you're gonna want to do. look into 5/3/1 BBB, PHAT or PHUL if you want cookie cutter premade programs. but if you know anything about programming (and even if you don't, now is the time to learn), you should program your own workouts, based on the weaknesses/lagging bodyparts.

generally, these are the movements you'll want to choose from (and advance in):

vertical push: overhead press, push press, landmine press, dumbbell press
vertical pull: pullups, chinups, there are a million variations
horizontal push: bench press, incline press, dumbbell press
horizontal pull: rows (barbell, dumbbell, bodyweight, machine, chinese style, cable)
hinge: deadlift (conventional, sumo, squat stance, romanian, trap bar), kb swing
squat: back squat, front squat, bulgarian split squat, box squat, etc.

and finally, accessory movements, to add to your main lifts:
lateral raises, band pullaparts, facepulls, biceps curls (straight bar, ez bar, preacher, cable, etc.), triceps (cable ext., skullcrushers), dips, pushups, more pullups, abs, calves, forearms, etc.

1. choose a template (as in fullbody, upper/lower, push/pull, etc) and periodization scheme
2. choose main lifts
3. choose accessories
4. done

hope i helped at least a bit user

i forgot accessory examples for lowerbody, fuck me

these would include different squat variations, good mornings, deficit deadlifts, SLDLs, hamstring curls, nordic hamstring curls, etc.

No it can't. None of Rippetoe's program and their many derrivatives can be altered for hypertrophy because they don't allow for volume accumulation. On Texas Method you are supposed to PR every week so the less volume you do - the better off you are to display your strength.

For hypertrophy you need volume and lot's of it. Since I can't explain it with percentages I will give you a rough example. Say your bench 8RM is 80kg. A sample bench day would look like this:

1x20xBar
1x10x30
1x10x40
1x10x50
1x8x55
1x8x60
1x5x70
1x3x75
4x4x80
6x4x75
8x5x70
6x6x65
7x5x60
5x5x55

Then you do dips, flat dumbell bench/flies, skullcrushers and biceps. Run this setup for 6 month twice a week for bench and do something similar twice a week for back. If this doesn't hypertrophy you I don't know what will.

so you're telling the guy to do 40ish sets of the main lift, twice a week, plus all the accessories? LOL

that would be around 100 sets for chest weekly (if he did 2-3 sets of db bench/dips). what.

Over time add more sets wherever you can and up the weight of your top set by 5kg whenever you feel ready. If you start feeling too beat-up, reduce the volume for a bit. Your assistance work is for 5x10 and I expect you to throw the same amounts of ludicrous volume at it as well.

He can auto-regulate the set numbers but the general idea is to do stuff and lots of it.

these are correct

but you do admit your number is insane, right?

you either
a) have never lifted in your life, and don't know what it means or feels to do 100 sets for a muscle group weekly or
b) are really bad at math and gauging stuff

I know it's insane and that's why I said that it should be ran for no more than 6 months after which you instill some sanity into your training. This is a very extreme approach to hypertrophy, nothing more and nothing less.