Any former smokers here?

Any former smokers here?

What helped you fags quit these fucking fags?

I started with snus. Basically, i'm still addicted to and getting nicotine, but in a presumably healthier way (the effects are not as studied). At least I don't inhale any smoke.

You probably want to quit drinking too

t. masters student studying the effects of nicotine, alcohol, and different combination ratios on Nicotinic Acetylcholine receptors

One day I woke up and got tired of smelling like an ash tray. Gave away the half carton I had and haven't smoked again in 2 years. Granted when I see people smoking on TV it makes me crave one but it's never to the point I find myself debating whether or not to buy a pack. It's just about whether or not you truly want to quit or not.

started buying a brand I didn't like and quit gradually
had no withdrawal or problems at all

Is there anything wrong with these?

Nah- asked my doc and he said it's fine if it's like a monthly thing.
Just try not to make it a weekly or every day thing

5 months : 5 cigs per day
3 months: 3 cigs per day
2 months: 1 cig per day

Then i just stopped smoking and forget about it

Forgot to mention I had smoked for 7 years leading up to that.

>started buying a brand I didn't like and quit gradually

Brilliant

I smoked a pack a day for 13 years. Honestly, getting tired of being badly sick every winter and the cough lingering for months did it for me. I did patches to help with the initial withdraws. Also I stopped smoking all the places I normally would. Smoking in the car was the main driver of the habit for me so once I broke that it was alot easier to stop.

Somehow quit cold turkey 6 months ago after 5 years and like 20 attempts to quit. Also if you don't care about being a total faggot I've seen alot of people quit with vaping which is much easier to quit than cigs

Just started again recently, no stopping now

Fuck off failure.

Truth.

Good job.

I didn't want to pay for them anymore

Iktf, mate commited suicide a few weeks ago i know at the moment i wont be able to quit

I quit and stopped buying cigarettes.

For me what worked was concentrating on smoking less and eliminating small things one at a time. I.e. no more smoking in house. Then no smoking in car. No smoking until end of day. The trick is to eliminate bad habits a little at a time until you're no longer chemically dependant.

The less you smoke the less you crave it. I smoke maybe one cig every month or so. Down from a pack a day for two years and smoking casually for 7.

Snus is even worse for your body than cigarettes you retard, lmao.

>this
15 year smoker - pack a day
currently about a month smoke free.

Vape -

You must be fun at parties faggot

How did you do it though? You just quit cold turkey?

I started long distance running. Had been smoking for about 2 years, maybe 2-3 cigarettes a day. Caring about running honestly made it pretty easy to quit.

Literally just stop buying them tho.

book....called "alan carrs easy way to stop smoking"......
if yuo really want to quit...read it...it costs like 4 quid on ebay....the guy tells you to carry on smoking while reading it...a year and a half without fags...no temptations when i drink....no vape...no weening off...

Vaporizer helped me. Was a pack per day for about 5 years. Jyst tapered down the nicotine levels to the lowest one the shop had, then smashed the vape on the pavement.

Found myself unwilling to spend another ~°$70 on another one. Been quit about 7 months now

i don't plan on quitting

im a raging alcohol and i dont smoke unless im drinking, which is like 2 times a week since i slowed down a bit

cant bring myself to stop drinking but i really want to stop smoking, kill me

same m8
I noticed I was enjoying my smokes less and less
at one point I was smoking at night exclusively. I figured because I could refrain from smoking during the day that this was probably the time to quit
Gave away my last pack and haven't smoked since
must've been a year now. dont exactly remember the date

You are such an incredible fucking faggot I felt compelled to post after 7+ years of strictly lurking on this stupid website so I hope that serves as some sort of wake up call

witnessed

yeah

you just stop

and then you don't start again

Except it isnt, retard.

>had a hard time breathing for a while
>hypochondriac as fuck
>think it's COPD
>quit smoking cold turkey
>pass a fuckton of tests
>nothing wrong with my lungs
>turns out it's just my fucked back that restrains my breathing sometimes
>eventually become a welder and fully acknowledge that I'm probably gonna die from lung cancer regardless
>smoke occasionally again
>selffulfillingprophecy.jpg

Oh man a real newfag from 2010 we are blessed with your presence. You must have a killer physique if you've been lifting for 7+ years.

first you got to want to quit

then when you quit don't spend any time around people who smoke for ~2 weeks

BOOM you've quit

if you've got the willpower to go to the gym, you've got the willpower to quit

Wtf i love giraffes now

you can't be serious

vaping
it's only gay if other people do it

This guy is right. I quit drinking and smoking simultaneously. Best decisio i ever made. All of the hate your reply is getting is due to the fact that alcohol is too deeply ingrained in our culture aswell as peoples personalities. People will fight to the death to defend their vices

He asked for advice and I gave it, calm down turbo-autist
I drink myself but I don't have a problem with smoking and I know for a fact that theres an enhanced response when you combine nicotine and alcohol. If you really wanna quit, continuing to drink will likely be a trigger keeping you from your goal

Have fun "lurking 7 more years"

Cold turkey. First month is tough, but I made it. Over 2 years since I quit.

Fucking this.

I smoked 20 a day, for 6 years.
That book literally made me stop overnight with no problem at all.

Replacing nicotine with anything is retarded when it doesn't actually help you get over the psychological side of nicotine addiction.

take blood pressure medicine if youre trying to quit, use your head.

I went to an Alan Carr inspired seminar and the guy had us there for 8 hours,with mandatory smoke breaks every hour.

There was a whole ritual involving counting down our last cigarettes,which didn't really work for me. However, it did clear a lot of the myths about quitting, which helped in the long run.

Same for me. One of the better things I did in my life [spoiler] so far [/spoiler]

Being this unaware

After 9 years of smoking, I quit on January 3rd, 2017. I quit cold turkey and started going to the gym every single day. The first three days were hell but now I barely think about them. All you have to do is not smoke.

That's how I did it.
I was smoking over a pack a day for years.
One day I was in the car with a friend and I was bitching about always being broke. He said it was because I smoked like a chimney. I told him that I would never smoke again. That was like 4 or 5 years ago and I haven't had a cigarette or a joint since. Went cold turkey and for some reason I've never really had cravings, I've just had moments of missing that feeling of relaxing or mingling outside a party with a smoke. Never felt like I needed the nicotine itself, just the act of smoking. At least I'm not coughing all the time now.

The hardest part about any addiction is breaking the habit of doing it. When something becomes a part of your daily routine, especially if it's something effortless and relaxing, it feels like some huge obstacle to get rid of it. That's why you have to replace it rather than leave a void. It's like faggots that broke their habit of being on Veeky Forums by going to reddit.

I've always been anxiety prone.
Lately it wasn't good.
Decided to quit, cold turkey.
Had headaches that were really painful for like a week, smoked again and they were gone.
I realized how fucked I am.
Decided to quit cold turkey again and embrace the pain as a reminder of why I am quitting.
Haven't smoked in a month, I think I'm gonna make it this time.

I've been avoiding going out and drinking, also when I do laundry I do planks and stretches, otherwise I get this insane craving for a smoke (it used to be one of my smoke breaks).

In summary:
Cold turkey or bust. There's no other way.
Avoid doing things that you relate to smoking (like drinkig, I know it sucks, but bear with it), or if you have to do them add a distraction instead of the faggy fag.

I used to smoke a pack a day for about ten years and I tried to quit a couple of times (each time using some form of replacement, patches and gum, etc). Cold turkey worked because it let me get through the withdrawals quicker. The fact is that you will suffer withdrawals if you offer your body any amount of nicotine LESS than what it wants. You can try tapering it down to just a few cigarettes a day, but all you're doing is prolonging your suffering. It's funny how a former smoker will start again and get right back to the amount of their old habit. Your brain remembers that it likes X amount of nicotine and won't be satisfied with less.

Go cold turkey.
Wear a watch. When you have a craving set a fifteen minute timer and by the time it goes off the craving will be gone. Those intense urges never, ever last very long. I'd often find myself forgetting about it withing a few minutes (and that was only two days into quitting.)
It only takes a few days for your body to detox. Beyond that it's purely a mind game.

If you do quit you should look into breathing exercises. There's all kinds of different ones, some that are a part of yoga, some that are use by athletes and special forces, and so on. Find some breathing exercises and work on them. Your lung capacity will go up anyway in a few months, but you can help it along. Also, most of those breathing exercises will prove useful for any anxiety and cravings.