Tips for new runners?

Most of you faggots are interested in strength training, but some long distance tips would be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html)
fyf.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do strength training instead.

t. Former cross country runner

Run further to gain distance, run faster to gain speed.

Always push for more.

Listen to your body; if it hurts, it's wrong.

Stretch after, not before.

Form is king: forefoot running, chi running, barefoot running

GPS helps long distance race times.

Moderate day, speed day, distance day with rest days or easy days in between

Long distance running is all in head. Don't let thoughts of failure or niggles enter your mind and you'll do fine

I count my steps when I run. To keep the number from getting ridiculously large (and so I don't have to count numbers too fast) I do it as pairs where I repeat the same number four times (so eight steps, then next number). It helps me keep pace and I know with a good degree of accuracy how far I've run. Once you get your mind into some sort of rhythm or find some way to occupy it you'll be a champ at long distance.

I just started couch25k and am looking for tips too. My running shoes are shit and all I know about form is not slouching

I ran a 52 mile race in Alaska in 2024 after like six months of training. Distance is 100% mental. Just don't be a bitch and keep running. no, you cannot hurt yourself if you run correctly.

2014*

again.
Some more specific questions -

should I eat before running? I had a latte before my first run yesterday and nearly puked, but I would have been too hungry to run otherwise.

Is it true that carbs are burnt off easier after cardio?

Does anyone have a link to some good tips on running form?

I lost a lot of weight from just dieting, the main reason i've started running is to improve my mood, sleep and routine - would something like yoga or pilates work well as weight training? (I can't afford access to weights)

What times of the day are best to run? I want to improve sleep, so I suppose late afternoon/early evening would be good?

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit stupid, thanks for answering if you do.

>Distance is 100% mental
I felt like utter shit the other day during my first run, I'm going to remember this. thanks man

Also my lil pro tip is run for time, not distance. I.E. if you want a 20 min 5k, run as far as you can in 20 mins every time you train until you can go the full 5k in the allotted time. Much better than running 5k in like an hour and slowly running less time

Thanks! I was wondering why the first day of c25k had 22 minutes of walking and only 8 of running.

Most people can't eat before running. How soon you can run after eating varies from person to person. I eat a banana 20 minutes before runs shorter than 10k.

Don't focus on form. Trying to change your strike is asking to be injured.

Don't add distance too fast or you will fuck your shit up.

Do your fucking clamshells!

If you run on a deep cut, don't expect to get better. You need to strengthen the muscles involved in running.

Do weight training on the same day as easy runs, but but before the run.

>don't focus on form

Listen to this guy if you want your knees to explode

I'm guessing they mean don't otherthink it and tense up? But yeah, I want to think about form at least a bit...

>Don't add distance too fast or you will fuck your shit up.
I'm so glad the c25k app tells me exactly what to do, because otherwise I would fuck my shit up

what the absolute fuck is a clamshell

Lad deadass if your form is bad you will definitely be having knee surgery by 50

Actually, I did fuck one of my knees a bit when I was 15, it still clicks weird.

I came to this board from /co/ for form tips tho, my knees are safe (hopefully)

>should I eat before running? some fasting routines, like Intermittent Fasting, recommend working out in a fasted state. if you do eat before a work out try to make it at least a half hour before
>
>Is it true that carbs are burnt off easier after cardio?
your body's in a higher metabolic state after working out so all calories ingested will be put to use to replenish glycogen supplies and begin repairing broken down tissues
>
>Does anyone have a link to some good tips on running form?
don't slouch, eyes about ten to fifteen feet ahead of you, try to land mid-foot (not that heel strikes are as evil as people make them to be). don't overthink it
>
>I lost a lot of weight from just dieting, the main reason i've started running is to improve my mood, sleep and routine - would something like yoga or pilates work well as weight training? (I can't afford access to weights)
yoga is amazing for flexibility and increasing your range of motion as well as giving you better balance. i'm not familiar enough with pilates to speak about its efficacy in any area. if you don't have access to weights then look into some bodyweight routines (startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html)
Will any of the above help your mood and sleep? Sure. It won't hurt. Make sure you get enough sleep to begin with.
>
>What times of the day are best to run? I want to improve sleep, so I suppose late afternoon/early evening would be good?

I used to go to a 24 hour gym and would work out at midnight sometimes (finishing a weightlifting session with cardio) and would go to bed as soon as I got home, but I always felt more energized throughout the day when I worked out about an hour after waking up. Try some different times and see what works for you, but don't worry too much about it. Work out whenever you can and whenever you're willing to (as in, don't wake up at dawn to go running if it's a massive struggle)

How do I transition from using a treadmill to running outdoors? I'm used to being inside and having a water bottle by my side for whenever I need it - the last time I went running outside I almost got the poops from being dehydrated.

Changing your strike pattern will have next to no affect on your knees. You can shorten stride and fix posture but focusing on a midfoot strike will just make your body do something it isn't accustomed to and risk an injury. Just make sure your shoes are right for you.

I think i fucked up bros

Just realized today ive been purposely heel striking on the treadmill because i thought thats how you jogged. Lucikly ive only been treadmilling about 4-5 weeks and i didnt run right into snap city yet.

Jogging on my toes feels foreign as fuck and my calves feel like tight rubber bands everytime the ball of my foot lands.

How fucked am i?

Why the fuck are you jogging on your toes then?

Run in a way that doesnt feel like shit

Guess ill have to learn from all the girls who run away from you.

run soon after the sun rises or before it sets so it's cooler. hydrate before (which is only when it's useful since it takes time for water you've just ingested to actually hydrate your cells). try to run on a trail or maybe a school track since they're more forgiving than concrete. but either way, just know that you most definitely won't keep the same pace and it'll be harder on your body.

got'em

While jogging.

Breath every 4 steps in 4 steps out.

Then try 4 steps in 5 steps out

5 steps in 5 steps out.

Watch how your body paces you based on your decreased oxygen consumption. Interesting way to pace yourself when trying to improve pace, get some self control.

Cycling is good. Doesn't fuck your joints as much. But you're more likely to get knocked over by a car etc...

This is bullshit advice. You want to run 5km in 20mins start running for 40mins solidly then once a week have a 5km hit out and watch your times drop as you become stronger.
Dude, don't give your shit advice to new runners.

More utter bullshit. This may work with swimming but not running. Your body will breath when it needs to breath so let it do what comes most naturally to humans without fucking around with things.

Ya dont listen to this shit. You're just gonna psych yourself out if you spend all run counting steps and breathing according to some arbitrary pattern. That or you'll actually develop autism like the guy I'm responding to.

The biggest advice to a new runner is to not quit. It'll suck and you'll be tired and you'll wanna stop. Dont. It gets better. You just gotta keep going, both in terms of running frequency and while youre actually running.

What do you think of these ?

fyf.io/

Where's the perfect running form pic? I can't find it

start with short distance sprints before moving to long runs

when i lost a bunch of weight and got fitter, i started out on a treadmill, then after 1-2 months, started running 400m x 10 around 3 times a week - do that for a while and then move onto 5km and so forth

if you've not run much before, you'll just injure yourself by jumping straight into long distance stuff

Do an online running programme.

Dont run with your top off, no matter what your runner's high tells you. I see people do it all the time in summer and they're always skeletons clanking away.

If this is autism i dont know what is