Depression thread

depression thread

how best to keep motivation and force yourself to go to the gym / take care of yourself in general Veeky Forums?

not a whining thread, an advice/tips thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because you will literally be less depressed after going to the gym

You're probably feeling depressed because you equally feel like a failure.

If you go to the gym and get swole, atleast you're successful at one thing.

You go because it will temporarily distract you from that empty hopeless feeling.

>force yourself to go

You answered your own question you pathetic little shit.

And from my experience and observation, most people that say they're depressed are actually just seeking attention, so I'm giving you what you want because I'm a nice Chad.

all true, but i'm mainly looking for tips to help remind yourself of that when everything in you is telling you not to go.
i've been using a day planner and every week trying to write tasks down for different days. it helps a lot with other life stuff but i can't seem to actually go to the gym when it says "gym"

t-thanks chad

You go to the gym for Strength or Aesthetics?
How long have you been lifting?

Stop eating meat and chemicals. Whole foods plant based diet worked wonders for my depresion.

tried vegetarian for 8mo, didn't really do anything. in general eating less processed food is good though, and i've significantly cut that in the past few months. feels good man

strength i guess. primary reason is actually to treat the depression, plus lose weight + feel physically better day to day. aesthetics are just a bonus

How long have you been lifting aswell??

sorry, i lifted for 3-4 years (got pretty strong, 250lb bench/350lb atg squat) but that was around 5 years ago. i fell off and have been trying to get back into it but i go so infrequently i wouldn't even say i'm lifting again

>being too depressed to go to the gym
I don't get this. Depression got me into the gym and it's helping me a lot.

What are your current Bench/Deadlift/Squat man?

Got my tattoo finished Sunday and got told not gym for a week until it's healed and it's such a fucking pain not being able to stick to my routine I had going of work gym sleep repeat.

lmao, maybe 120/200/180 at reps right now. pretty awful

yeah, the gym saved my life around 5 years ago. i can feel myself getting to that point again but actually getting to the gym is more difficult when you're an adult and it's not just a room in your high school, you know?

I honestly don't even know my man.

I've gone from skinnyfat to shredded to fat as fuck to ottermode and back to shredded again. All because of mood changes that last several months at a time.

>actually getting to the gym is more difficult when you're an adult and it's not just a room in your high school, you know?
I feel you. That's one thing I miss about college. I usually bring my gym stuff to work so I can go to the gym after. If I go home first, my chances of going at all drop dramatically.

Jokes on you, I'm bad at lifting too.

lbs I assume?

I'm a major dyel mate, only been lifting for a few weeks. My last week of lifting was 135/225/250.

Yeah, squat was higher than deadlift. Hit way too many reps on my amrap though, still need to fix my weight ranges for the deadlift.

To answer your question though, goals. Goals are what I preach. Goals are what give you ambition in life. You've currently got a 120 bench, 200 deadlift and 180 squat? Try to hit 135 bench, 225 deadlift and 200 squat within the next 2 weeks. Goals are so important in being happy in life. If you just go to the gym and dick about and just go for the sake of going, you're going to remain depressed.

Get off your ass and go do something. Get your goals. Get your plan. Execute your plan and hit your goals. Feel good about yourself and leave your depression behind mate. Feeling down is easy. Wallowing in self pity is easy. Getting out of that mindset and living your life is hard as fuck but it's well worth it. And hitting strength goals is a great way to kickstart that mindset.

Get good at lifting then mate, it's a grind but the action itself is easy enough.

Work out and study. It will make you swole and a more interesting person.

Also no matter how low you feel always make sure you're eating well. When I was depressed I used to starve myself because I never felt hungry, you have to push through this as it will make you feel much better.

I get depressed that I'm single everyday.

All of my friends are happy in relationships, and I'm stuck as a fuck-up. I've had a few girls into me, and yeah I've fucked a girl, but I'm completely unable to form connections with people. I figure I'm attractive cause I've been told so by friends, but it doesn't do anything for me. I get depressed so often just seeing girls and couples out in public, and I've been told by an irl friend that I sound like elliott rodgers. I'm so sick of hearing people talk so casually about sex and relationships and intimacy I wake up every morning painfully remembering everything. Even though I have a lot of interests, I can't sympathize with anyone and I feel like the ultimate failed normie. Gym is the only thing keeping me going.

isn't it weird how that happens? it shifts month to month. i have some therapy scheduled so hopefully that balances things out eventually

that's a good point. i need to iron things out with concrete goals. the day planner already does pretty well with none-lifting stuff -- i might just need to actually put lifting stuff down on paper to get it going

yeah i have issues with overeating, but i am definitely working on that. i like cooking too it's just the effort required that made me mcdonaldsfag too much. hopefully eating well continues. i can already feel it helping.
and yeah keeping your mind sharp is huge. thankfully i already do pretty well on that front, and most days i read. i'm really into geopolitics so i love going through political histories of different areas and ideologies

sadly it's the opposite for me. i'm a piece of shit boyfriend and manipulate, emotionally neglect, and objectify women without even realizing. definitely something i'm working on outside of lifting that is a major issue right now, and hopefully as i progress with that, better motivation will naturally follow

Absolutely, just figure out some basic short-term goals and write them down in your day planner. Don't make them too far fetched though. 10lbs in two weeks is easy as fuck so something like that is perfect as a really short-term goal.

Good luck mate. I believe in you.

Also mate, one more thing.
Try to cut down the amount of time you spend on this website. I know it's fun, distracting and addictive but on the whole there's a lot of negativity here which I don't think will benefit you, about 10 years ago I used to spend five hours a day or more on here, wasted a lot of time.

My T levels are super low (not low enough to be prescribed TRT sadly) so unlikely.

wew

Instead of planning out your week, you could try to truthfully and nonjudgementally track your week as it happens. Like every half hour, what did you do? If it looks like Netflix Netflix Veeky Forums Netflix by the end of the week, that could be good motivation to do something else. Like sometimes it helps just to actually NOTICE wtf you're doing with your time.

Hang in there OP and other fitfriends! Life is hard but I believe super hard in all of us :)

get more sleep and drink matcha tea. watch your favorite movies as you snack on carrots and or popcorn.

random advice but its worked for me
Ive learned that coffee makes my mood worse.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_mentality

Believe me or not reading this is actual advice.

Worked for me, might work for you too

Great idea!! Thanks

For real? I love coffee but maybe laying off the caffeine will help. Worth trying at least

I'll read it