Not losing weight

So I'm 19, used to be 235 lbs at my heaviest. I was 203 in the beginning of last month. Now I just weighed myself again and I'm 200. Does that make sense? I lost roughly 7 lbs/month for four months and now all of a sudden I only lost 3 in 1 month. I don't drink alcohol/soda, or intake high-sugar foods often. I drink between 6 and 10 cups of water per day. I've stuck with these drinking habits for a couple years though. I also live a sedentary lifestyle, the only walking I do is around my college campus. I'm going to get a gym membership down the line however I'll be moving soon and have to pay a bunch of discontinuing fees so I'm going to wait a couple months.

Daily breakfast is either cheese+peanut butter on whole wheat toast OR oatmeal + 3 eggs. Lunch is usually broccoli+carrots or a salad w/protein bar or something of the sort. Dinner is usually some type of meat+veggies, perhaps soup/medium serving of pasta, etc. Snacks are usually fish, nuts, maybe yogurt and granola. My typical intake is ~1650 calories.

I was super hyped about my initial weight loss, since it's the first time out of my 5 attempts at dieting that I began to see more than 10 lbs lost. I'm hoping to eventually lose a bit more weight before getting more involved with protein supplements+building muscle mass. Now I know I'll be getting a lot of advice like "get started lifting immediately", but I'm more focused on WHY my progress has plateaued so hard. I know it's inevitable to hit a plateau of some kind, but this one seems extreme.

I thought it was simple: Calories taken in - calories burned (through basic daily metabolic function) = calories/pounds lost.
I can only think of a few things that would stagger my progress but here's some things I've heard could be to blame:

1. Too LITTLE calories taken in
2. Hormonal imbalances
3. Lack of exercise (while it's needed for anyone to be moderately healthy, could it be the only reason?).

Run moar.
I dropped 70 lbs running five miles every other day.

>I drink between 6 and 10 cups of water per day
Nigga, I drink at least 2.5L a day

Post your diet

I probably should, exercise is the only thing that really stands out I suppose.

Well still, because I'm on average drinking 2 or 3 cups of water less a day that I'm not losing a lot more weight?

What I posted above is basically it. I can get more specific. Basically 250 calories worth of cheese in the morning (basics like cheddar or swiss), alongside whole wheat bread (160 cal) + peanut butter (190 cal). Breakfast is typically about 550 cals. Lunch varies but is 99% of the time veggies + small amount of raw almonds (170 cals). Snacks are greek + low fat yogurts or any type of granola bar I can find (not super chocolatey or sugary though). Dinner again, is nothing crazy. Soups with light broth/carrots/some type of meat. I really don't think I'm eating unhealthily.

I'm looking at my log, other things are whole wheat english muffins, berries (rare), skim milk, bagel thins, rice cakes, chicken, turkey, pork, boiled potatoes (small serving sizes), cucumbers, tea, coffee (couple times per week), sardines, tuna, salmon, etc...

Have you considered that you are taking in more calories than you think? Serving sizes, oils, dressings, etc...?

Occasionally (once a week) I'll have a cheat day but it's moreso about the types of food I have than the quantity. I may have some popcorn or a slice of pizza. I try and keep under 1800 calories on my "cheat days", which is still considered low enough to lose weight based on caloric intake at my weight. I may not be as "hardcore" but I suppose I should just eliminate cheat days as a whole?

Yeah lucky for me I was never a big fan of salad dressings/vinaigrettes or really any condiments, only ketchup (which I may have on a burger once a month). I like to think I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to logging foods exactly how they're nutritionally labeled.

What do you cook your meat with?

UMM please don't judge but I live with my girlfriend and she's the one cooking so I'm unsure...
Curious as to why you ask though, is there something I should absolutely avoid?

Not him, but if you are 200 pounds and not losing weight eating 1650 calories a day, the only possible reason is because of improper calorie counting. A 150 pound man would probably lose 3 pounds in a month eating 1650 calories a day with no physical exercise.

So you claim you are diligent with your calorie counting but you don't cook your food and you don't know what's in it? Come on man...

>1. Too LITTLE calories taken in

Probably not. Google "starvation mode myth"

>2. Hormonal imbalances

Almost definitely not

>3. Lack of exercise (while it's needed for anyone to be moderately healthy, could it be the only reason?).

The calories you burn from the act of running is negligible, but it does boost metabolism. If you're just sitting around all day, your metabolism is probably garbage and your ~1650 isn't far off from how much you're actually burning. Your calorie count is never going to be entirely accurate anyway.

I mean I track breakfast/lunch/snacks down to the t, but somewhat estimate with dinner. I'll enter in ".5 cup of cooked potato" while not directly measuring it in a measuring cup.

>is there something I should absolutely avoid?

You need to log the calories of anything she's cooking with. Most people use oils, or butter, or a spray or something whenever they fry or bake.

Your TDEE changed. Eat less.

I suppose I'll run more often and be extra super diligent with calorie counting. Thanks guys I'll be back when I need bulking pointers lol.

Get a kitchen scale. Weigh your portions. Know exactly what's in everything she cooks. It's no good to do everything right only 2/3rds of the time.

1650 is low enough for someone at 200 pounds. The problem has to be with his counting. He does need to eat less, but it should be done by finding out exactly how much he is eating and adjusting it, not just lowering his portions doing things the way he is now.

I've been accounting for this thankfully.

Yeah, I suppose I never took those seemingly minuscule things as so meaningful. I always thought that since I was eating smaller portions than I would before dieting, that I'd be in the clear, especially since my calorie load is generally super low otherwise. I'll definitely start logging that stuff as well.

Damn dieting is a pain. Can't wait till I finally get to a healthy weight...

>since I was eating smaller portions than I would before dieting, that I'd be in the clear,

Which was true at first, as evidenced by your initial weight loss. But as your weight goes down, your body requires less calories to keep yourself alive, so your base metabolism goes down, and the calories that you might not be counting on add up. This is where exercise is helpful.

>My typical intake is ~1650 calories.
No it isn't, and that's your problem (other than the fact your dietary choices are shit in and of themselves and you'll still be unhealthy after losing weight).

Be more precise and eat less.

Try going to bed hungry. Wake up and dont eat til lunch. Do this a few times a week. Actually feels good.

Jeez no reason to get so uptight about someone else's accidentally misconstrued information. I have no reason to here and lie for the sake of responses or wasting time. I had a question I was genuinely curious about and found an answer thanks to the generous posters before you. I'll willfully admit I don't come here often or am I as strict about my physical health at the moment as some are currently. I'm satisfied with my food choices thus far as they've improved over the last year, and am following a steady positive trendline when talking big-picture.

If you have more helpful information other than what's listed in comments prior to yours I'd be happy to hear it (maybe about *how* my dietary choices are "shit").

Thanks for the semi-constructive criticism though.

And yes I know I'm not eating the recommended amount of protein, that's not my focus as I've stated earlier.

Protein is not just for people looking to build muscle mass.

Eating a diet rich in protein is going to help conserve the muscle you already have. It's going to make you feel fuller for longer. Dropping carbs and replacing it with fiber and protein makes dieting a heck of a lot easier. You're not going to be less likely to snack throughout the day like you are now.

Would there be any major nutritional downfalls of eating something like 6 eggs + a glass of milk + peanut butter in the morning and a protein shake or two a day? Would that suffice mostly?
Asking for convenience of protein intake. It seems rather difficult to consume 200g a day, when now I'm only doing ~70g.

>cheese
>peanut butter
>protein bar
>nuts
>granola

>while cutting

Drop your """snacks""", eat 2/3 meals a day max that you are 100% confident of their calories. 500 breakfast and either 1000 at 4:00 or 500 and 500 based on your schedule. That's it. If you don't want to deal with calorie counting make 2 pounds of spinach and beans and eat as much as you want when you're hungry, drop that garbage you're eating

It's also that I'm not so accustomed to eating such seemingly large amounts of protein since I never see that around friends/family/school. Even then none of my friends/family are obese or even really overweight (from what I can see).

You won't need 200g. Just doubling the amount you get in now would be plenty.

No nutritional downfalls, but your farts with be lethal eating that many eggs.

You should read the sticky - it lays all the basic nutritional stuff out, and gives you ideas for meals.

Cheese/Peanut Butter/Nuts is "garbage"? Don't you think that's a little bit intense of a term? I mean sure I'll drop them if that's what's necessary but I also don't want to feel like I'm starving all the time if I could just ingest something about ~150 cals worth once a day to resolve that issue. I was under the impression that cutting just means consuming less calories than you burn...

Thank you, I'll refer to that.

>Cheese/Peanut Butter/Nuts is "garbage"?

It's "garbage" in the sense that it's detrimental to cutting. There is nothing wrong with them for ordinary people, but you've claimed you are struggling to lose weight. Don't eat high calorie snacks that are going to satisfy you for 40 minutes when you're struggling to lose weight. All those small things are probably totaling around 500 calories a day, that's where your progress went

Don't listen to this retard. All of those things are fine on a cut.

Fatty mcfat pants always lose weight quick then it slows down. First month or two is a lot of water weight.

>fat fuck gorges on 4 snacks a day
>cries about not being able to lose weight

Kill yourself, mongoloid. Any intelligent person would think to drop fucking peanut butter if they're stalling on a cut

I have peanut butter on bread in the morning, and only have one snack a day (if any). Whether it be yogurt OR nuts OR cheese. I've never stated my snacking frequency.

>I also live a sedentary lifestyle
Which means that as you drop fat you also drop muscle. Muscle, even at rest burn a lot of calories, in womens magazine speak "your metabolism is slowing down."

>Daily breakfast is either cheese+peanut butter
I'd avoid such calorie dense foods if I were you, nothing wrong in principle - but one slight mistake in portioning and you end up with a couple hundred calories extra.

>I was super hyped about my initial weight loss
The fatter you are the easier it it is to lose weight, people at 300lbs can drop a hundred pound like it's nothing. The more excessive your diet was, the better results a normal one will produce.

>I'm hoping to eventually lose a bit more weight before getting more involved with protein supplements+building muscle mass.
You should probably start thinking about it now: as I said, with every pound of fat lost you probably lose a couple of ounces of muscle too. Weightlifting will prevent that, if you are weak - like you probably are then you will even be able to build additional muscle even on a diet - which will speed up your weight loss.

>I thought it was simple: Calories taken in - calories burned (through basic daily metabolic function) = calories/pounds lost.
It is.

>1. Too LITTLE calories taken in
No, just no. "Starvation mode" is very misunderstood. It only sets in at very low fat reserves and even then it is not as dramatic or physics shattering as people believe.
>2. Hormonal imbalances
Much, much rarer than people think and unless you have other severe symptoms very unlikely.
>3. Lack of exercise (while it's needed for anyone to be moderately healthy, could it be the only reason?).
You don't need to exercise per se. But your weight loss is slowing down because fat burns a small amount of calories - the more you lose the lower your calorie allowance, muscle burns a lot more calories. You are losing both.

How tall are you? Male or female?

Alright, note taken. Mostly that I'll do some sort of lifting/cardio (which I'm still unsure about how to proportion since I've heard they kind of counteract each other). I'm 5' 10" and male.

>since I've heard they kind of counteract each other
Only if you're stupid about it. Otherwise they are synergistic. Although your tolerance for both will be lower than normal since you're in a caloric deficit. And in your case I'd focus more on lifting - it will improve cardio-vascular fitness by itself and preserving muscle mass is the priority for you right now.

Eat at a 1000kcal deficit, that comes out to about 4kg lost per month. You should be able to maintain this for about 3 months before you need to lower it, assuming your body compositing fits my assumptions - which it probably does reasonably well.

Try lifting 3 times a week at first, if you're having trouble recovering lower it to 2. If you can't even recover from 2 sessions a week then lower your deficit to 750kcal etc.

Intensity over volume ie. higher weight for lower reps.

Google starting strenght, strong lifts 5X5 and GSLP. Choose one and do it. They are all 3 day programmes, to adjust them to 2 day/week programmes just do both the A and B training once a week.

This is very good advice, much appreciated :)
I appreciate really direct suggestions since it's sort of difficult to narrow down the hundreds (thousands) of articles and information thrown at you after aimless browsing online.

That's what the sticky is for. Start there.

General rule of thumb:
>if it an article from a womens magazine - it's dogshit
>if it's from a mens magazine - it's probably some bullshit mixed with half decent advice

Good sites:
Renaissance periodization,
ExRx,
Stronger by Science,
T-Nation and Bodybuilding.com are a bit hit and miss but mostly solid.

As you lose weight your TDEE will decrease. Have you recalculated it since you've lost 30 pounds? Also are you counting your calories accurately? Do you weigh your food? There are only a few reasons why you wouldn't continue to lose weight and eating "too little" will never be one of them. That's complete fatlogic.

Despite being healthy, peanut butter, nuts, cheese, and granola are all very calorie dense.
Because you don't have a food scale, which I strongly recommend, you can't really know how much PB you're putting on your bread.
Even if it is a little for you, it might still be a lot, nearly 300 calories.

If you're truly committed to losing those pounds, try switching to powdered peanut butter (PB2) they sell it on amazon.
Replace nuts with popcorn, or just eat fewer nuts
Replace cheese with lowfat cheese or remove altogether
Replace granola with fiber one cereal, the original kind.
I used to do 0% greek yogurt, and fiber one cereal with some splenda, so much volume, very filling, tons of fiber and protein, but very few calories.
Sprinkle some cinnamon, or some of your new PB2, or some berries, which are the best fruits for a cut.

Good luck :)

>but it does boost metabolism. If you're just sitting around all day, your metabolism is probably garbage
Care to elaborate on that? I wasn't aware that cardio affects metabolism