Biking vs running

biking vs running

bump

Gonna reference this thread in the morning before I go for my run

Biking is better for your joints if you get your bike fitted properly. Good for going long distance, seeing sights, going fast. Easier than running, but if you're pushing it still very good cardio.

Biking for weak assholes, running for tough people who want to test themselves.

Running has less middle aged men in Lycra.

I prefer running because the treadmill keeps up the pace and forces you to keep going. Bikes, unless you have ironclad willpower, you will eventually slow down and lose the potency of your cardio.

But of the two, I'd much rather go on a bike ride because you'd save on gas

do a few uphill bicycle sprints and then come back. and i'm not talking some shitty hills but a proper 15%+ gradient one

>tfw nowhere to bike without getting hit by car and have assholes yell at you

Depends on the speed, a full frontal collision can leave the runner hurt, but if its enough to make the bike stop the guy riding can hit the floor and hurt himself worse

What about third position?

biking because it builds your quads

You might as well be riding dick

I can't stand bikers who take the shit seriously and wear the spandex.

I was on my bike today, on the corner on the sidewalk waiting for the light, when a truck full of drunk teenagers hangs a right at my corner. One throws a bottle at me and yells "Get back in your lane!" and they peel off laughing.

Those fuckers. You should get their information and john wick them

I can't stand weightlifters who take the shit seriously and use protein powder all the time.

lol I bet you couldn't even ride up a hill without passing out

Are you actually fucking retarded? how does spandex even compare to protein powder?

My uncle is a state-winner in biking, shit is exhausting as fuck, but he has huge legs, yet proportional to his body; however I rather run.

Uphill sprints are even more difficult

Biking
>go fast as fuck
>can actually go places in a reasonable amount of time
>yuuge quads with little risk
Running
>wrecks your joints
>ankle pain
>blisters
>nogainz

the bicycle is one of the greatest human inventions, it makes cardio so much fun, you can use it to get to places, and it translates directly to running ability without any risk of injury.

downside is, you squash your testicles and get cancer.

>get cancer
How does bike give you cancers?

>That guy who bikes for cardio

Biking is for 40 year old women. Be a man a go for a run.

Try sprinting up hill related a couple times. Youll be begging mommy to let you back on your tricycle in no time.

Fucking running in the sand is a nightmare

I run for fun 2+ time a week
and commute by bike 18km a day ( uphill to go downhill on the way back)

I love both!
So much fun to race on my bike and skip cars stuck in traffic

I love both

p much this

get a ball relief seat

My knees, ankles, and feet always fucking kill me and shin splints are a total bitch. I probably have shitty form but oh well. I'll take the bike any day of the week

by pushing your balls tightly against your body the friction creates too much heat and pressure for your body to handle it. your sperm gets cooked effectively, and weird mutations begin to occur, and hey presto testicular cancer.

it's like how microwaving your hand would give you skin cancer.

>2016+1
>not doing the superior cardio

are these good enough?

been walking/running up that hill since i was a kid

>cycling
Enjoy your erectile dysfunction

That takes the cake. Back when i was in SF i had great cardio and would still get winded walking through some neighborhoods.

Swimming is better than both

if you drop your music player while running, will it fall all the way down?

No they are not
I sprint uphill.
Shits easy nigga

Inception is real. Are you an architect?

get a load of this faggot

Biking
>erectile dysfunction

swimming

OP said running. Do you people just go into the internet and pretend to be retarded or something?

Jokes on you im a trap

i ride a lot and have no problem

One is expensive, the other one will fuck up your ankles and heels

the right answer

Woah that makes me feel dizzy just looking at it.

I can't run 40km/h.

Seconded

biking lets me skip leg day

>cardio
>better blood flow
>not getting your dick up

are you retarded?

For the majority of people biking is probably going to give them better cardio and fitness in the long run. You can basically always bike. If you're tired you slow down a little and recover, but you're still on the bike getting cardio. You can't hurt your joints or shins from bad form/ramping up too early, so you don't have to take time off. You can actually use it as a mode of transportation so it's easy routine and not something you're willing yourself to do.

When running sucks, it really sucks. You can't freewheel or shift down for a few seconds. If your shins start hurting, or your stomach acts up, or whatever, that's it and your wiorkout is done. And you're always specifically making time to go out and run, so it highlights those little aches a bit more.

Yeah yeah I know, you have the iron willpower of Sparta and the Reich combined so practical normie concerns don't apply to you. But realistically, you have average willpower, just like you have average athleticism and average aesthetics, just like everyone else. If two guys decide to start cardio, one of them tries running 4 nights a week and the other biking to work every day with a little detour hill on his way home, after 6 months I bet you bike guy is going to be more fit because he actually rode his bike every damn weekday.

The one thing you could really fuck up on a bike is your position in the saddle, hence "lol erectile dysfunction" in this thread. Don't sit on your junk. Don't sit on a big cushion saddle. You place your sit bones on a quality stiff saddle and there's no pressure on soft tissue. It might be sore the first week as your bones adjust but after that you can go for hours no problem. Sitting on soft tissue sometimes feels better for untrained people just riding to the store but long term it's numbness and chafing, really long term it's dick damage.

Hope you arent swimming in chlorinated pools

wish I had other options.

I think I'll move to a place where I can swim, next to a lake or something.

my pool is salt bitch

When running on a treadmill I can zone completely out. I dont have to look where I go I just focus on my breathing. Before I know it I ran for 20km.

Biking is for rich fags.

Not him, but for biking long distances spandex/lycra maillots are a must. You are constantly moving your joints at 80rpm for hours, if not for that you might get serious burns and shit that will make you too uncomfortable to ride, it's also super comfy and perfect for ventilation.
You know, there is a fucking reason why things like these exist

Maybe if you buy a 10$ bike with a plain saddle. All the pros have sons no problem lad

Is there anything wrong with chlorinated pools apart of possibly fucking up your eyes? Maybe skin damage? Just curious

Damage to testicles, spermatogenesis and total testosterone

Another nice day for a ride, lads

It's not really a problem, and if it was there are other things to care like being alive
Pic related from last year he actually reached up to 86kmh, the record in the tour de france is over 100kmh

Now to be fair
I sprint uphill a lot and i almost never bike at all

Running is better for bone density, and if you do some reading and buy not shit shoes, and lift weights, you shouldn't have any joint problems from it.

Running is also better because it makes you a better runner. Being fast on foot is a good survival trait.

He's saying they are both useful for their sports.

dying of prostate cancer at 60 vs complete and utter boredom unless you add a dogbro

If you ride properly (sprint 100% of the time) this is a meme

Your balls will be fine

>nogainz
>Ignores the fact that your cardio will improve more than on a bike

I hope I do. Chlorine kills bacteria. I even swim with my mouth open so the chlorine gets into my mouth and kills all the bacteria there. No more bad breath no more tooth decay..

Retard
Cardio is cardio, you can achieve the same heart rate on a bike as running

Lol you probably deserved it you fuckin faggot XD

I love cycling, but it doesn't translate directly to running. You,ll gas out if you never ran before and you'll be hurting. Gotta learn running movement but you'll build it up quick since you have good cardio base from cycling.
Running pretty much makes you a better cyclist

Except that running gets you there faster.

What stops you from slowing down the treadmill when you can't keep up?
On the bike you can keep it at a high resistance and slow your pace but you're still pushing against the same resistance.

Biking is way less impact so less injury from the exercise, but you won't get bone density gains so more prone to injury in general. It's also easier technique wise despite being unnatural. Why not do both tho?

>I prefer running because the treadmill
Treadmills are literally satan.

You can up resistance with running by going up a slope. Or a parachute thing I guess tho they look faggy. Treadmills lower resistance for a few different reasons.

In the end with all cardio, you're right, it amounts to you could slow down and not do as much. Which is why we should all be training to pace and working to increase that. It's a similar argument to people who find rowing machines easy to which the answer is "go faster then".

>you don't have gears while running
>you don't have to fight drag while running because you will never go fast enough while you do when cycling and it gets progressively harder to achieve and maintain faster speed
>you can do very long distances while cycling which is great if you like seeing new places (if you never cycled before you can go from being able to do 10 to 100 km in 2 months easily)
>running will never build quads like cycling will
>cycling uphill in highest gear possible is best leg builder exercise and will make you cry
>cycling is way better for your joints

That is not a rowing machine bro. But rowing is like supreme Veeky Forums cardio, even rowers have halfway decent lifts.

indoor cardio is cancer as fuck

Yet you see 90% of runners being cardio bunnies and moms, while alomst only grown men are biking.

What about row machines guys?
I got roids in my ass so I can't bike anymore.

rowing is best compound exercise but how do you expect to do it when you have to sit down? if you can't cycle then you probably won't be able to row either

I tried a bit rowing today and it felt more like I'm sitting on my upper ass and not as much pressure is applied compared to stationary bike.

go ahead then. rowing is the best cardio you can do and is fun

What's with the running hate on Veeky Forums? It's amazing exercise that builds stamina like nothing else.

Is jumping rope best cardio?

best joint destroyer at least

just don't do it on a hard surface

I used to bike a lot, and it's a lot harder to achieve the same heart rate on a bike, because you either switch to a low gear and pedal sonic fast (which is not really practical), or switch to a high gear, but then you pedal slowly, exerting a lot of torque, meaning your muscles will actually get fatigued after a time, so you can't keep doing it for extended periods.

I thought it was good for ankle joints

>Treadmill forces you to keep pace

It also takes out the force needed to propel your body forward and essentially runs for you.

>mutations in your sperm give you cancer
>heating your balls to the temperature of the rest of your body gives you cancer
>microwaves give you cancer
How could you fit so much retardation into a single post?

doesn't matter if you're a Veeky Forumsizen and never get laid anyways

>he doesn't go to trampoline park for FUN cardio

Because Veeky Forums is full of fatasses who think they are skinnyfat with a BMI of 26. To make matters worse they start off trying to run an 8 minute mile.

They quickly find out that they are slow, that long strides as a fatass hurt your joints, you can't run in Chuck's, and that even a mile is hard for them. Rather than slowly build with a program they decide to badmouth it.

>with a little detour hill on his way home
Biking up any considerable incline sucks donkey balls even more so than running, and running becomes pretty rewarding after you can run any significant distance without stopping, so I would say they take about the same amount of willpower over the long run. You are right about injuries though, it's a lot easier to fuck yourself up running.

rope jumping

its better for your joints than running

running your entire bodyweight is striking the ground through 1 foot at a time, jump rope is distributed through both feet and in a position where your calve muscles absorb most of the impact. You also get winded faster so theres less overall impact compared to running unless your runs only last a couple hundred strides

Definitely row bro but make sure you inject in different sites. If it hurts to sit down maybe avoid your glutes even.

Really, be careful.

Running is so much better once you can easily run 5km. Runs between 60 and 90 minutes are the fucking best. You get some alone time with your headphones, guilt free carbs, and a massive endorphin high.