/OWG/

/OWG/ - Olympic Weightlifting General

A thread for the discussion of the sport of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>Favourite Accessory Exercise Edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
chinfl.blogspot co.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
dropbox.com/sh/mjgz5nmcikhhvnu/28iq3URWUW

>helpful blog on some technique quirks:
yashathoughts.com

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:
youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9HyWjAk7fhY
youtube.com/watch?v=O32-Ae8SNIc
youtube.com/watch?v=nfa_YPYTZIU
youtube.com/watch?v=m1wE8S7Ij9M
youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?t=331
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why is oly so unpopular ?

Too hard for most to get into

if you don't have good ankle mobility you can't do it

It's hard to get into (because, at least in the west, the infrastructure for it is basically non-existent), it's excruciatingly slow to get real improvement and it's further from most peoples goals than most other sports.

nice try but it's dead

but still, bump

tfw after training monday did some stretching and decided to fuck around and see if I could do a full front split. Ended up getting pretty close and pulled a muscle in my hamstring. Anyone got any tips for a quick recovery? It's not too painful and I can move around a bit, but I don't want to wait super long until I'm able to do anything.

Shoulder and upper back stretches for better mobility/flexibility in the snatch?

Can you hold the bar in the correct position when standing? If so than your issue is likely hip mobility at the bottom or standing with your feet too close.

Shoulder dislocates are a good shoulder stretch

Can anybody help explaining how do I exactly keep my elbows straight during the jump of the power clean?

I have watched all sort of videos but still haven't been able to figure this out. I'm quite unable to tell whether I'm keeping them straight or bending them during the jump as they have necessarily to bend at some point to rack the bar.

Just came back from oly training class where we were learning the clean. In order to keep straight elbows try to turn your wenis facing where you're looking. It likely won't make it though so just go until you can't turn it anymore.

Right - but then can you keep those elbows straight at the pull?

Can somebody help with improving my form here? Trying to clean 40kg.

your bar path on the second pull is loopy. you want it to be as straight as possible

Yeah, rep2 sucked.
Are reps 1 and 3 better?
So I have some benchmark to follow.

Thanks

watch this video at quarter speed around
1:05

youtube.com/watch?v=9HyWjAk7fhY

seems like you're trying to muscle up the weight, rather than using the momentum you get ripping it off the floor, catching the weight and squatting down with it deep, and then driving it up as a front squat.

You could come up on your toes during the top extension/shrug portion of the lift to get as much up-drive as possible, and then you could really catch the bar low once it begins to fall, get under it and squat up with the weight.

try some front squats with just the bar, and get yourself 2 boxes or some phone books around the weight of oly plates (if you don't have bumper plates) and just do the naked bar for 20 reps working on your form.

you want explosion, speed, and full control of the weight. Your arms and hips are basically a whip you use to get the bar high enough so you can get under it and squat up with it.

the trick is to be more explosive and fluid in your pull, at the moment you pull the weight up, and then assisted reverse curl it up to your chest. Once you start going heavy this will become impossibru and then your back is going to start assisting, and then it's snap city.

are you comfortable full squatting? how deep can you go on your front squat? whats the ankle flexibility like, can you get in this type of position?

>get yourself 2 boxes or some phone books around the same weight
i meant height obviously, kek.

What is only?

Thank you. I will watch the video, however that can't be followed literally as what I'm trying to do is to Power Clean not to "full" Clean / squat Clean etc.

That means, after the pull/jump you don't end up in a front / half front squat position because supposedly you have used a "Power" movement to drive the bar upper in a position that doesn't require you to squat down to rack it but only by bending your knees a bit.
Hope that makes sense?

keep it warm and gently mobilize to maintain bloodflow

thass bout awl yew kin doo

Favorite accessory exercise?

Rack jerks for singles. Because you can do heavy ass jerks without having to worry about cleaning the weight, or even getting it back to your shoulders (just drop it, or lower to your traps).

So I'm just learning how to clean and I'm having some difficulty with getting into a full squat clean position (catching the bar in the hole), it seems like I default to basically just doing a power clean every time and when I try to catch it in a squat position it's super difficult and feels awkward because I haven't figured out the proper rack position for my chest.

Does anybody have any tips for A. Not making the transition from the pull to the squat position not so awkward or B. How to properly rack the bar on my chest? It seems like right now I'm just kind of holding it against the top of my chest rather than having it securely nestled in there.

jerk from rack is probably my favourite as well. what's your pb?

The clean is not a deadlift. Start your hip lower

youtube.com/watch?v=O32-Ae8SNIc

here is torokhtiy doing his version of the power clean, notice he still gets fairly low (just above parallel) to catch the weight.

try walking around with a broom handle, arms out infront of you, resting the handle against your chest and anterior delts. there's a sweet spot where your shoulders and clavicle balance the bar, and your fingers don't even need to touch it.

youtube.com/watch?v=nfa_YPYTZIU

you could also front squat to get comfortable with the position. watch closely how tian tao positions the bar before he unracks it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I guess my only worry right now would be that my anterior delts are too small to effectively hold the bar in place.

Best hip stretches? Have poor mobility in the hole for snatches and I think it is due to my inability to stay upright at the bottom, but I have a nearly completely vertical torso on back and front squats

Has anyone dealt with this before?

they probably are, time to do flys and eat.

Thank you.

Are girls impressed by clean and jerks?

Put your hands on a wall and squat down

No, but they're not impressed with leg press or smith machine incline bench either, faggot.

>tfw you're enrolled in a graduate level ES class focusing solely on learning the OLY lifts to coach others with an opportunity to take the USAW cert at the end of it

Life is as good as finally dropping under a 100kg clean

Wow - look at this guy's elbows: they're bent throughout the whole movement.
You can tell that his clean has no much "power" part. So much that he has to squat down below the bar to rack it.

In order to be "power", he would have had to shoot the bar up with inertia so that he doesn't need to get that low.

And here we get back to the point: how does one feel the elbows unbent 'during' the pull?

Aren't you supposed to have the same deadlift ROM for the first part of the power clean?
Asking out of genuine curiosity.

>You can tell that his clean has no much "power" part. So much that he has to squat down below the bar to rack it.
>In order to be "power", he would have had to shoot the bar up with inertia so that he doesn't need to get that low.
...........what

what's up with the plates in olympic weightlifting,are the colors for specific kgs/lbs?

youtube.com/watch?v=m1wE8S7Ij9M

youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?t=331 also check this one out until 6:15