Want to get on a PPL routine but I work ou at home, so I don't have access to a leg press etc...

want to get on a PPL routine but I work ou at home, so I don't have access to a leg press etc. what exercises can I do for legs? I have a rack, a pullup bar, a bench and a barbell of course.
also: where do deadlifts fit into PPL?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/d9SQ97rfyO4
sci-fit.net/2017/scientific-recommendations-1/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

squats for legs? you have a rack, why isnt squats the first thing youre thinking of
barbell hip thrusts for them glute gains

i do deadlifts on Pull day, because doing both squats and deadlifts on leg day is torture

what the hell is wrong with that powerlifter's legs

you could do hip thrusts, nab a dumbbell and do leg curls on your bench, as well as squat

I meant besides squats of course. hip thrusts sound like a plan, thanks.

np user
also look into bulgarian split squat as well as lunges

I'll look into those. how many different exercises would be optimal for legs? I guess so far I have: squats, hip thrusts, lunges and bulgarien split squats

what are your goals?
if youre going mainly for strength, those sound fine
i never really cared for strength training though, so take my advice with a grain of salt

are you going mainly for size? hypertrophy?
remember that in terms of hypertrophy, volume is king
add volume by including more sets, reps, or exercises
standing calf raises (assume high bar squat position) is another exercise to look to include

since you dont have access to cable machine (i assume you dont since you didnt mention it) you cant do cable pull throughs or cable kick backs (glutes for the slutes)

your best bet is probably just other variations of the same exercise, such as a front squat

I reached 1/2/3/4 and want to focus on hypertrophy now. (moderatly) light weight + lots of volume is the way to go then? I was thinking about 4x12 for most exercises. I did GSLP for a year, so I'm used to 3x5+

PPL is shit and hypertrophy training the way you're describing it is also dumb.

That said, squats, lunges, Bulgarian split squats, deadlifts, and squat and deadlift variations should make up your lower body day.

dont think i should be the one offering you advice as you seem to have been lifting longer than me (i havent reached 1/2/3/4)
only been lifting for around 16 months

all i can say is that from personal experience, i noticed a lot more aesthetic gains by upping the volume significantly
eric helms (check him out, very knowledagle, has all the credntials like a MS and PHD) also speaks about overall volume being perhaps the most significant factor to achieving hypertrophy

he does a much better job of explaining things, and is much much more knowledgable than me

youtu.be/d9SQ97rfyO4

personally, i saw more aesthetic gains running a PPL program than when i did x3.5 fullbody a week (working out every other day)
studies have shown that x2 or x3 frequency per week is more oprtimal than a brosplit which is x1 per week, but the studies regarding whether x2 or x3 per week is better is still inconclusive
> sci-fit.net/2017/scientific-recommendations-1/

I guess it doesnt matter hoe long you lifted, you still helped me out a great deal and I thank you. Have you always been lifting for aesthetics? Have some greggo.

>Not reaching 1/2/3/4 in under a year
Yeah I wouldn't listen to this guy.

PPL are ok for now but youre heading towards the end of your novice stage so once you can't progress linearly anymore you're going to need some sort of periodization. Concurrent, Linear, DUP, it doesn't really matter that much but you'll need to pick something if you want to continue to see progress.

yeah periodization will be needed once linear gains have been exhausted

never tested my one rep maxs but according to strength symmetry
i have 1/2 but not 3/4

unless 1/2/3/4 is for reps in which cause i am not

yeah, always have been lifting for aesthetics
while its cool to pick heavy things up and put them back down, my first and foremost priority has always been to put on size since ive been a skeleton my whole life

glad i could be of some help
hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will help you with any more questions you have

only squats and calf raises are necessary for legs

I do shoulders on my leg day even though that's not technically PPL, but otherwise my OHP is shit after I bench

In order of effectiveness for my legs & arse:

Squats
Leg Press
Deadlifts
Lunges

Others:
Pistol Squats
Hip Thrusts

Since you have been running PPL: how many sets/reps do you do for the compound movements?

i still do 5x5 for the initial compound movements
some strength training is still optimal for hypertrophy, no one gets big benching just the bar

Instead of PPL just do PPx2, squats during push and dealifts during pull day, cycle/run on rest day

>that image
>this is what power fats actually believe

P1: Bench, OHP, Squat, DB Lat Raises, DB Skullcrushers
P2: Rows, Pullups, Deadlift, Chinups, Curls

? this doesn't seem right

desu the whole 1/2/3/4 thing is kind of overblown. Yes it's a good general goal to strive for but linear progression doesn't end there. You should continue to run your novice program for as long as it works, since these are the fastest gains you'll ever make and anything slower is lost time.

If you insist on running PPL still, I'd strongly recommend CoolCicada's PPL but cut frequency a bit from PPLPPLx to PPLx. For progression on it what I did was add 5 pounds for upper and 10 pounds for lower one set at at time every time I did that exercise.

e.g. for 3x5 bench you would do 150/150/150 then 155/150/150 then 155/155/150 and then 155/155/155 and continue like that.

I looked into it and it seams like a good starting point, the problem stillbeing: I don't have access to machines. I guess I could substitute some of the exercises but it wouldn't really be his routine anymore, would it? I like your idea of progression though, I might just actually give that a shot

This is what I'm running.

>Wrong.
>Powerlifters are almost always quad heavy and their core is thicker than their shoulders or just as thick. Body builder is the 1 with the v-taper and strongmen just look obese although they are legit alpha asf.

True I forgot about the no machines thing.
This is a U/L program I wrote a while ago that you could use, I subbed anything with machines for an equivalent freeweight exercise:

xULxULx

U1:
Bench 5/3/1
DB Military Press 3x10
Bent Over Rows 3x5
Face Pulls 4x12
Flyes 4x12
DB Curls 3x10
Preacher Curls or Hammer Curls 3x10

L1:
Squat 5/3/1
Block Pulls 3x8
Hack Squat 3x10
GHR 4x12
Abs of your choice 4x10

U2:
OHP 5/3/1
Incline Bench 3x10
Dumbell Row 3x10
Lateral Raise 4x12
Rear Delt Flyes 4x12
Overhead Tricep Extensions 4x20

L2:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 3x10
SLDL 3x8
GHR 4x12
Abs 4x12

This was intended to be more of an intermediate program (5/3/1 with concurrent periodization on accessories) but you can just do 3x5 on anything marked 5/3/1 and maybe 1x5 or 2x5 of DLs, and just keep the accessories constant.

This seems right along the lines of what I want, thabk you so much. You worked with this routine? What was your experience with it?

Mind if I save this lovely bitmap?

Tbh if you dont have any leg machines filling up a whole leg day is difficult. Squats, frontsquats, hip thrusts, dl, rdl, cleans maybe, barbell lunges, splitsquats, behind the back dl. But filling everything with compounds only is not that optimal for a whole leg day, maybe get bands to improvise isolation

I haven't worked with in personally no but I have done programs very similar to this and speaking from a technical programming standpoint it should work just fine.

Where did you get this from? I'm running the reddit PPL, which is pretty much this but you split up the leg days between the two push and pull days. How are your results on this?

How do you guys adjust a PPL routine for when you cut?

Cut volume

Where though? I'm assuming going 3x5 instead of 5x5, but how should I cut the accessories?