Start lifting or Cut weight first?

In need of some advice Veeky Forums. Im 5'9 and 187lbs.
Should I just start lifting or should I cut the weight down to 170 or 165 and then start lifting?

Why not both?

read the fucking sticky

dumb fat poster

Just start exercising lifting
No bulking because of the incoming noob gains, eat at a little deficit

Believe nothing else

/THREAD

cut and start lifting asap. read the fucking sticky

lift at a deficit and enjoy CNS noob gains while losing fat, then once you're below 15% bf you can stop and switch to a surplus

Both. You need to lift while cutting in order to preserve as much muscle as possible.

this
this
go ahead and cut while starting to lift, you'll be stronger and leaner and then at the end you can do a proper bulk and get big

Will 170 or 165 be a good number to cut down to?

fuck weight, go by body fat %. cut until you are around 12%

get skin calipers and find some online calculators to estimate your current bf and get to below 15%

I didn't get this kind of advice when I first started and so I bulked out of skinnyfat, made good gains but I got fat as shit and regret it a lot

I'm 6' and started at 185. I've cut down to 171ish and am aiming for 160. So I'd say you should probably get well below that to be not fat

You do both.
3 times per week lifting.
2 times per week cardio.
Proper diet.

Within 3-4 months you will look good

I am doing that atm. :DDDD
Not op

Eating an excess, maintaining or cutting though? I'm not OP but basically doing this atm, eating 200-300cals over my TDEE. I'm building muscle but also putting on more fat than I'd like.

Bulk to 225lbs. You're super skinny, you need some mass quick. Doesn't matter if it its muscle or fat. Aim for atleast TDEE+600kcal a day.

OP, listen to this guy

Literally this

Aren't you supposed to rest between lifts? Wouldn't doing cardio slow him down or injure him?

I'd imagine he'd be too tired to lift and then too sore to run

Just lift OP. Don't worry about cutting or bulking, just eat at maintenance whatever you're eating right now. You will get stronger, just eat your protien, and lift heavy 3 times a week.

You could diet if you want but make sure you still go hard in the gym. You aren't super fat, but there is no reason to chase abs if the rest of your physique sucks and you're DYEL.

Shoo shoo skeleton

fucking newfags,it's never "either or", DO BOTH.

Try bulking to 230lbs. Aim for 500kcal atleast over your tdee.

try clicking the dinosaur in the sticky

I'm definitely not skinny I don't think this is such a good idea

He is skinny. If he stays at that level of bodyfat, he will lose testosterone levels.

OP if you think you're fat or something, you have body dismorphia. Try contacting a terapist

Look at my photos I posted

Thank you, King Rip

Yes I did look at them

Wouldn't it be better to take some weight off then gain it back in muscle?

It is easier to gain muscle first. If you look at the pics, you can clearly see he has no muscle. If he gains muscle, that fat he has will not be that "visible".

How?

Super low bf will lower test

So just go bear mode?

Lean gains -mode, I would say

pick one:
>cut
>bulk

and stick with it

Wait what really? I'm not the OP but I'm planning on running for a couple of months and then I'll start lifting and eating

If bf is needlessy low, it will lower test

Don't do cardio before you lift. Do it either afterwards or on offdays.

Well no, that's what I meant. On days off when he's going to run, his legs will be slow so his runs will suffer. On his lift days, he's going to be tired and not fully recovered because he ran on his rest day.

Eat in a slight deficit but increase calories when lifts try to stall. You can make noobgains in small deficit aswell while you lose some fat

I'm sorry but if you can't run a 10k in the morning and the lift later in the day just fucking kys.

It can injured only my fat

Just don't go too intense with your cardio sessions... I would also recommend doing them on the same day as you lift (afterwards) so that you have full rest and recovery days.

How does that work if you don't mind me asking?

How long after I lift should I do the cardio?

OP if you don't lift on a deficit and cut your fatass down you're gonna be sorry

You can do them immediiatly after or later on the day, doesn't really matter.
Do whatever feels better for you and whats best for your schedule.

I just started man

Cut until 10% bf and then only bulk afterwards
You WILL get stronger on the cut

I'm 5'9, and weighed 196lbs last year.

Attached is before.

And after, 150lbs.

I went to the gym everyday, and trained for strength - then after strength, went directly into bodybuilding exercises for the muscle I trained to strengthen.

I also ate mainly one meal a day - something like chicken breast, white rice, and black beans. Or a steak, asparagus, potatoes. I did this for the first 6 months, and dropped my weight within 5.

Then I got a labor job, running around, carrying heavy shit outdoors. My diet consisted of absolute garbage - pizza, KFC, etc. But I was still going to the gym after work. And that's how I look like now. Could probably look better if I prepped meals instead of eating shit.

After pics or current?

Took awhile to write that out. But my advice is to train hard, and try to be as active as possible. And don't eat like shit like me(though, I've been doing better)

You're well over 20% bodyfat and it looks like you've only started to wokrout.

You should eat at maintenance, lift/calisthenics, and add in some extra cardio.

You'll build muscle and drop fat for a good year or more before you have to make the decision to cut or stay chunky and put on more muscle.

Would you do any cardio or was it just building muscle

In the first five months, I dropped 50lbs. There was really no cardio involved at all, just going hard with the weights. When I started doing cardio(and working), I went down to 135lbs and felt disgusting. So I cut the cardio out, and now I'm in the after pic I posted.

But then again, I'm aware people are different. You might burn fat better by doing cardio, but it might not be necessary, as it wasn't for me

>When I started doing cardio(and working), I went down to 135lbs and felt disgusting.

Does cardio kill gains or something?

I think there are a lot of variables in the mix. For example, I don't think my diet was proficient to supply my body with the proper nutrients while doing cardio, working - which was cardio - and weight lifting.

But, no, I don't think cardio kills gains. If anything, it lowers body fat, and makes you look bigger. It all depends on what you're eating, though, IMO.

both, fattie.