Climbing

Anyone here into trad/sport/ climbing or bouldering?

I used to powerlift but I'm enjoying the variation, power and precision of bouldering.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FEt35BKm2OI&t=57s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to get into it but there's literally no mountains anywhere here shit sucks balls

It's just prairies everywhere

I need to move somewhere else so I can start doing that

You said you did powerlifting, does the size of your muscle make it hard for your to do that, you got alot more weight on you

See if you've got an indoor gym anywhere, I plan to go do more sport routes outside now the weather is getting nicer.

Luckily I hadn't lifted properly in 6+ months when I started, so nowhere near as big as I was. But I'm still larger than average at about 192cm and 82kg. I think the heavy deads really helped with forearm strength.

I guess nobody climbs on this board then!

Beginner sport climber here, waiting for the snow to melt. I've never climbed in a gym, is it worth it?

The only reason I can imagine going inside instead of outside is during winter, when I'd rather be skiing, or because no belays are available. Do they usually have self belay stuff, or you just trade off with someone there?

I've only ever climbed in a gym, as I started late last year, and boulder in the gym so no belaying needed. Can't climb outside or ski because rainy english winter

I started bouldering last year. I go about twice a week. I can climb most V2s and some V3s. Never climbed outside of a gym though

Ever do much climbing and lifting concurrently? Worth it or no, I'm pretty dyel stat wise still. Last summer I wast starting to get pretty bad forearm/elbow tendinitis trying to keep up lifting 2-3 days and climbing 3-4.

If you're realy into climbing you don't want hypertrophy. The best climbers in the world are usually dyel as fuck.

Only have a few months under my belt, I don't think it will be a huge performance hinderance for a while yet. Tips for training technique/ grip? Just climb?

Me and my group of friends just hit up a rock climbing gym few days ago. Was tons of fun, but the number one thing that matters in that realm are forearms. You can train legs, back, anything all you want, but it isn't until you spend two hours trying to climb those walls that you realize how deficient you really are.

Been climbing three years here, haven't improved much in the past year though as I've been focusing on other sports.

Can consistently climb most 6c/5.11's. I'm based in Britain so mostly trad climbing here, though I usually take a sport climbing holiday yearly.

Going into climbing with some backround in strength training was a huge help, being able to haul my bodyweight around and trust my strength was a useful. It's easier to improve and progress through the beginner grades if you're strong, but means that you end can end up learning inefficient ways to climb, and your technique can take a while to catch up.

The pushback of weightlifting for me is that if I get too big I'll never be able to fulfill my dream of climbing El Cap or doing mountaineering of any kind

Kinda sucks tbqh

As user said, the number one thing is grip strength... once you have a good technique.

So for now just climb alot, it'll be fun and it will enhance your technique and your grip strentgh without being stupidly dull like the pan gullich. You can also do some push-ups, abs workout, various type of planks and pull ups. You should also stretch, it's very usefull.

hell yeah a climbing thread. glad to hear you are enjoying it OP. trying to get better at climbing is great motivation for training.
what sort of stuff are you climbing?

Just indoor Bouldering atm, I'm really enjoying it though. It's been super interesting to see my limits compared to weightlifting, and I can definitely see myself only lifting to benefit climbing from now on. It's just so much more fun than lifting

Yes, climbing is probably my main sport, aside from lifting. I've been climbing for fourteen years, since I was 16.
I've climbed all sorts, but trad is my favorite. I live in New England and there are plenty of great trad areas if you are willing to drive. The Gunks and the Adirondacks have 5-star trad routes. Nothing super tall out here, though. I'd have to go to the West Coast to climb something 10+ pitches tall.

surely iam the strongest climber/boulderer on fit,
i'am pretty serious into bouldering i go 5 times a week and i can do V11 maybe 12 (ungradet) but i'am lately going climbing once every 2 weeks with someone very experinced in Bigwall, trad and solo, i can do 8/9 lead i'am mostly laking endurence, i can do 1 arm Pull-ups, full dubble dyno on 1/2 Inch cimps, muscle ups but i get pumped after 10 meters, mostly clipping is still very hard for me and generally beeing heavy af 5'12 175 at 10%

ama

Trying to break one arm pullups recently, can nail the 2nd half of the movement but the initial pull out of the dead-hang is fucking me over, whats a good exercise for that? Also plateauing out on V5 boulders how do you train for climbing apart from climbing

if u got a Campus board in your gym u should try climbing up only using your arms, also try giving a little boost with your "off Hand" may help in learning the movment, also try death hanging in the arm, big factor is bodyweight, and getting mentally strong (Vision yourself successfully doing the movment)

there is no real Training besides climbing, some General endurence and bodyfat loss Taining some streches and elastic-band work, also got some grip-trainer but i dont feel it helps cause ist not even closely hard enough

Went to a gym for the first time with some mates, really loved it
The gym is an hour away though, but we're going soon and I'm pumped
It's finally something that isn't lifting that strength is good for

i go weekly to a gym called vertical ventures and another one on a college campus. one of my friends has been teaching me how to surmount "problems" and various know-how, i've been doing it for about a year but i'm autistic and didn't attempt to make friends or ask for help. but i'm learning a lot now that my friend is going with me. bouldering is one of the funnest physical activities i've done and now that i'm meeting people, the types of people who do it are actually pretty cool desu. planning a trip to british columbia for the summer.

it's hard for me to speak with regular People too, but in the boulder gym it's easy just talk albout the route, by now i know all the regulars and exchange solutions all the time, even when new People ask 4 help i always give them tips

>5'12 tall

I started indoor bouldering two years ago when I weighed 125kg

Now I'm 98kg pushing on 7a+/v7 indoor and 6c+/v5 outdoor

I really want to get into climbing, but I gotta do specific calisthenics like 2hr/day to keep an old injury from hurting. So I just don't have any time to practice climbing.

Don't ever go to snap city, brahs.

it's a climbing grade joke

used to climb and boulder regularly
friends stopped doing it, eventually so did i

the grip helps a lot with deadlifting
currently at 3pl8 and grip isn't showing any signs of weakness

v11. fucking nice dude. how long you been going?
I can do muscle ups/one arm pull ups, etc but have really hit a wall technique-wise at around V8.
Ive been going around 3 years now (will I be stuck forever?)

youtube.com/watch?v=FEt35BKm2OI&t=57s

the first segment - bouldering 4x4s - is a pretty good way to train technique, endurance, and strength

Former powerlifter climber also here. Used To total 580kg but haven't been to gym so much in two years. Been bouldering indoors for 5 months or so and currently going for 6b-6c+ grade. Also 1 arm chin up only few weeks away at 230 lbs. Feels great man but i seriously need to step up my technique and grip strenght since i think have some real potential To climb so much better.

Also to you guys asking about wether weight seriously affects climbing: the answer is yes and no. Me and my 60 kg 170cm dyel friend started climbing at the same time and i was the better one of us but his relative grip strength soon surpassed mine. Now he dominates me at everyhting except dynos. I seriously need cut and start stretching to catch up to that fag.

I climbed for some years, my best was an (indoor) 7c. It's fun but also repetitive and a bit one-sided in that you overtrain your flexors and neglect the most important muscle group of all (lower back). Also lifting is more time efficient. Only downside is that you can't really have some nature experience with lifting.

Big wall climbing is the shit though.

What turns me off is that climbers and boulderers tend to be bums.

Oh yeah it goes without saying that you can't do both climbing and lifting, it doesn't work that way.

yes. since january 2016 I was lift 4 days climb 3 days or 3/3 if I felt really tired. took me until the summer to realise I need at least one rest day a week, then it took me until autumn to realise I need an intermediate lifting program. now I do 3/2. my elbow still acts up if I do a lot of upper body lifting, so I've been working on my lower back and glutes more.

not worth it. I'm improving slowly at both, but I enjoy doing them so I don't want to stop.

Climbing is fun af but I always get worried I'm going to fuck up my tendons. I have a lot of friends that have climbed for a while and basically all of them are injured from it.

5 years, i've done Sports before (Triathlon on national Level), ist all about how frequently u go, i try to go nearly every day (1-2h) its really the only way to improve (1on/1 off maybe best), and also really hard pushing on Projects like give it 10h + on multiple days, just came back from the gym 3 days and around 3h of projecting, at least 40 trys but finally nailed that fucking Problem (every monday is new wall day)

I go to the rock climbing gym once a week, and in high school i used to trad climb. Looking to get back into it...

I want to try the climbing wall near me. What do I wear and do? Please help

Girl I'm seeing climbs

Tried it, its kinda fun, but I'd rather lift or do other action/extreme sports

most off the People with a Lifting backround are heavy and strong, but they lack Strenght in the Fingers so there is a high potential for injuries, slowly Building up is the key

lose Fitting Shorts and t-shirt/muscle Shirt, shoes is impotant you can borrow them at nealy all gyms (they will be tight) some indoor Sport shoes might also work for the first time (sole should be hard and not to thick)

do some calf/core work if u wanna get better on the wall, glutes are useless they just limit your flexebilety

super impotant, the smaler foot and handholds get the harder it is to compensate (there is noone bigger in my gym that can boulder better then me)

( (You)

do some calf/core work if u wanna get better on the wall, glutes are useless they just limit your flexebilety )

somehow missclicked, but trips speak te truth