GERD

Anybody else suffer from this?

Recently got diagnosed with GERD. I dont mind the burning sensation as much, but the sudden shortness of breath from just sitting or when trying to fall asleep is really getting to me. It takes me almost two hours to fall asleep; with suddenly feeling like my lungs getting constricted. So far the only method I've identified to stop the shortness of breath is to swallow right after to essentially reset the reflux.

I was advised to go for keyhole surgery, but not sure if I need to do that when other practical changes can be made?
Any advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aBV0THrWHbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what drugs do you take?

Forgot the name, but it's the one that supposed to close the stomach valve to prevent stomach acid going up and to encourage a speedier metabolism.

Cant say it's really working as liquid is still creeping up my esophagus when I lie down at night causing the shortness of breath reflux.

take esomeprazole 40 mg. 2 pills a day. 1 pill 15 min before eating lunch and 1 pill 15 mins before eating dinner. If this tratment rocks after 3 days, take 20 mg in the morning and 40 at night. After a month just 40 at night...

not a good drug you need this if this doesn't work go talk to a gastroenterologist

i mean breakfast..not lunch...before breakfast

Try elevating your upper body when sleeping. They sell bed wedges commercially, or you could DIY something.

Funnily enough I bought a bed wedge, but I keep sliding down it as I sleep even though it's the lowest recommended one they had. It may help the the reflux, but it introduced other sleeping problems.
May have to look at elevating the bed it self slightly.

Get a tree plank and saw it into smaller pieces that you can use to elevate your bed. Sleeping on your left side might help as well.
Don't eat close to bedtime and especially avoid greasy and spicy food.

I have this op. I had the shortness of breath but i found drinking a lot of water helped me.
There's a few things proven to work outside of proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole.

Losing weight if you're fat
Keeping your meals small and not eating before lying down
Elevating your bed (i used books under the feet)

Things like avoiding tight trousers/belts i found helped me.

Also, if you're asthmatic youre much more likely to suffer. I found inhalers made my reflux much much worse so its a vicious cycle

i got this last time u bulkes immadiately after a cut.. gonna maintain for 2 weeks this time

I had this last year OP. Turns out wheat/gluten was my problem. 3 happy months of no acid reflux now. I still eat big meals and laying down after eating doesn't affect me. I'm not celiac/overweight btw.

Havent considered it being a gluten problem, but I'll discuss it when I another GP.

>take some type of proton pump inhibitors. I'd go with pantoprazole 40 mg in the morning + 20 mg during the day for one week and then switch to 20 mg in the morning + 20 mg during the day
>don't eat 3 hours before going to bed
>sleep with your head elevated (use 2 pillows)
>avoid spicy foods, alcholol, coffee, choclate

I self-diagnosed myself with GERD a few years ago, and a gastroenterologist recently confirmed.

I literally didn't know how to burp the first 22+ years of my life. Any time gas or discomfort built up you'd hear an internal groaning that never made its way out. It got to the point where anything i consumed gave me terrible acid reflux. Started tajung omeprazole daily and it really did help. I figured out how to burp (not sure if the medication helped) and my reflux usually stays dormant now.

Occasionally i get a bad reflux attack and it breaks through, and i'll mix a half teaspoon of baking soda with a pint of water and it works wonders.

All of this advice. You might find that after 2 weeks of proton pump inhibitors your esophagus might have enough time to heal up and your symptoms will be almost unnoticeable.

If that doesn't work see a gastroenterologist because long term gerd can give you Barrett's esophagus which can lead to throat cancer (keep in mind it's like 1% of gerd people get barrets and 1% of barrets people get cancer)

I've got it. Literally all I have to do is take an Omeprazol in the morning and I have 0 problems now however.

I kind of worry about the long term effects of the PPI but it beats the shit out of the GERD

DO NOT TAKE MEDICATION FOR GERD!

You need your stomach acid do digest food and avoid inflamation in the rest of your intestinal tract, and surgery will not help much for most people, and it comes with other problems, like constantly being bloated.

The best thing to do is to use organic Apple Cider Vinegar. Take two tablespoons in a glass of water before every meal, and when you have symptoms.

I took medications for GERD for 6 years, and at the end I was on twice the doze on two of the strongest medications, and it did not help anymore. Because the medications made my stomach unable to make enough acid, I developed crohn's disease that I will live with for the rest of my life. As soon as I discovered apple cider vinegar I did not need any medications anymore. Other things that help is removing gluten, suger, (carbs) and milk.

But please dont do the same misstake that me and so many other people have done. medication and surgery is not a long term solution for GERD.

I've done ACV as a solution but it never quite did the trick, so they put me on a PPI.

I never took anywhere as much as you're talking here, however. Doesn't doing that much of it make you feel a bit queezy?

You mean took as much ACV? You may have to take less than 2 table spoons to begin with. The reason ACV works, is because it will help your body close the muscle ontop of your stomach. PPI are very dangerous long term. I would recommend you try it again, and cut out gluten, sugar and milk. (for me low carb also work).
PPI medications have ruined so many lifes you have no idea. Each time you take it, it gets harder to get off. You have to ease of very slow.

I get it when i have too much caffeine, cant imagine having it all the time.

also tomatoes, coffee and chocolate opens the muscle ontop of your stomach, it's good to avoid them too.

So how do you recommend easing off? Every other day take the PPI for a couple weeks before going entirely to ACV? Try and get a lower dose of it and ween myself? Tell me your ways senpai.

I was doing a tablespoon in a glass whenever I had the heartburn/chestpains and it would take care of it but leave me kind of feeling strange. I've already removed sugar and milk (non-Almond) as well as spicy and most tomatoes.

Yup, for like 5 years. Had it bad. Going vegan set me straight along with many other things. Best decision of my life.

Yes, see if you can get a smaller dose. And replace it more and more with ACV.
I personally just take 3 table spoons in half a glass of water, but I've been taking it for a year and a half now.
ACV may feel strange at first, but when your stomach gets used to it, you dont feel anything bad.

There are many good videos to watch on youtube, and alot of good things to read on the internett.

youtube.com/watch?v=aBV0THrWHbM

also this: youtube.com/watch?v=aBV0THrWHbM

1. Stop eating and drinking 2 hours before bed.

2. Get a humidifier.

That will solve all of your problems.

Your stomach probably burns because you eat fried food. You need to stop.

eat less carbs(under 200)
/thread

I'm taking 40mg Omeprazole prescription right now, and I know you can buy 20mg over the counter. So I'll probably grab some of that to ween off and try to switch to the ACV.

Worth a shot. Thanks

>developed Crohn's cause of medications
>medication and surgery is not a long term solution
not sure if trolling or just retarded