Are there any people here who actually properly ran SS, eating 6,000 calories a day for the whole thing...

Are there any people here who actually properly ran SS, eating 6,000 calories a day for the whole thing? What do you look like now? Pics would be great.

I want to build more strength before switching to a higher volume hypertrophy routine, but I just binge watched My 600 Pound Life and I don't know if 6,000 calories a day for six months is worth it. I know Rippetoe says time is precious, but I'd gladly overload more slowly if it meant not becoming a fat sack of shit.

I can't see any circumstance in which 6,000kcal a day is necessary. Anyone who ate 6,000kcal a day for 6 months would become a fucking monster (and not in the good way).

You could easily do SS at 3,000kcal or so and receive equally valuable results as long as you eat at a reasonable surplus and get enough rest.

Assuming you are natty, yes, there is a limit to how much muscle you can actually build within a certain timeframe. The exact math is kinda hard to pin down, but the general consensus seems to be that anything more than 500 calories per day surplus is wasted (i.e. will just go straight to fat.). And it may be even lower than that.

>general consensus
>anything more than 500 calories per day surplus is wasted
>will just go straight to fat.

I'm fucking out. The hell happened to Veeky Forums?

redpill me on caloric surplus

i didnt notice any difference on a 1000kcal surplus to a 500kcal surplus, strength wise. so any more than 500 is not necessary, i guess

I did for about 3 months. It worked very well.

Started around September and switched to Texas Method in November. Went from 250 squat max to 405.

Oops, That second pic should say 11/xx/16

lel, k autist

It's one dude bro. There are definitely a lot of subtle shitposters atm tho.

I ran SS on about 5000kcal -6000kcal a day, I didn't get that much stronger at first, and then like 3 weeks in my lifts suddenly skyrocketed, not certain why they didn't at first. I got a lot more muscle and a little bit fat, but started really really lean. I was running about 35 miles a week at this point, swimming a half hour a day, and doing bjj 6 days a week and kick boxing 2 days a week. I slept 9 hours most nights, weight training + TRF definitely made me sleep better. I started with a 60kg deadlift for 1 x 5, and about a year later (with changing programs) it was 180kg for 2x5, and then 2x3
I did this for about 6 months, although modified SS after 4-5 months. I would say just listen to your body and if you're putting on too much fat then lower the calories. One mistake I made was when upping my calories was going for more calorically dense foods, and eating less salad, but after a few weeks i reintroduced salad to my diet, and kept it

Your arms look the same and you look like your trying to bulk.
Glad you are stronger though.

merlin gains

your traps are laughably small.
pls shurg

this pic makes me want to stop bulking and start cutting.
thanks, bro

>You could easily do SS at 3,000kcal
that is just absolutely wrong and you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

OP, keep at 4 - 5. This also depends on your hight and build.

>asking people who ran SS what they look like

dude how have you not grasped it's a strength program and these guys all look really underwhelming?

This is me.

doesn't look as happy on ss gomad

like a fake forced grin

>I gained fifteen pounds OMG IM SO FAAAAAT

Didn't realize this was a Veeky Forums pretends to be girls thread

>This also depends on your hight and build.
OP here. 5'11", 170 lbs, been working out for two years, but spent a lot of that time doing splits because noob mistakes.

I'm asking because I want to know how bad I should expect the fat gain to be and, secondarily, how good post-SS people look after cutting.

If people either get super fat or, after cutting, look DYEL, then I'm not seeing the benefit of SS since my goals are primarily aesthetics-based.

You're definitely bigger but you look more aesthetic before bro

you still don't get it bruh.

SS has nothing to do with what you look like, you're gonna be a fat piece of shit if you do anything other than hypertrophy routines at a modest surplus, end of.

you're exactly right, SS has NOTHING to do with aesthetics my man, try a PPL with compound focus if you have the time/dedication.

i got to 3/4/5 only ever training PPL.

With respect, you still don't get it, my man.

I'm aware SS is a strength routine and strong =/= aesthetic. I'm aware people do PPL for aesthetics, which is why I've been doing one for so long.

The reason I'm looking at SS is because PPL is much more effective if you can lift heavy, because 8-10 reps of 135 lbs for bench is much higher volume than 90 lbs (for example). You can't get big, aesthetic muscles by repping babby weight. So, I've been looking into strength routines, because, while I've made aesthetic gains doing PPL, it's been crap for strength and my progress has been slow in consequence.

My concern is that I could get stronger on SS, but the cost might outweigh the benefit. That's what I'm trying to determine by asking people who have actually done SS as written, since Rippetoe insists that it cannot be modified in any way and only those people who modify the plan fail.

nigga just eat more. I just said i got to 3/4/5 only ever training PPL.

you obviously aren't doing something right, if you can't get atleast 2/3/4 after a year on a surplus

The routine is not what makes you gain weight, following any weightlifting routine and eating 6k calories per day will get you fat but most people finish SS within 3-4 months so the fat gains aren't a big deal.

I don't believe however that you need quite that many calories as a an average weight/height person and should aim for closer to 3.5-4.5k.

Based on which posts I think are OP you'd be better off doing canditos LP (google it) as you've already been lifting for a while and we to focus more on strength.

...I see you completely neglected to do literally any OHP whatsoever. Can you even lift the empty bar above your head?

>properly ran SS
>eating 6,000 calories a day
>for the whole thing

Six weeks. Six fucking weeks is all you're supposed to be doing GOMAD. And that's only if you're auschwitz mode. It's in the fucking book. GODDAMNIT

all these fucking retards that don't know that traps look small in lat flare pose

go try it yourself in the mirror you fuckwits

And yet, in the "Clarification" essay Rippetoe posted on his site and read on the Starting Strength YouTube, he says "if you only gain 20 lbs after 11 weeks, you didn't follow the program," because you didn't eat enough.

Pics or gtfo. Fit survey yesterday has about 80% of us within the first year of lifting. Not the op but you can get fucked if you think I'll take advice from some estatting dyel without proof of accomplishment