I'm starting BJJ and I'm worried about my gains. How do you balance your martial arts and your lifting...

I'm starting BJJ and I'm worried about my gains. How do you balance your martial arts and your lifting? What kind of lifting regimen should I be doing to best help me with BJJ?

just lift like you normally do. be prepared to have your instructor tell you multiple times not to "muscle through it". i've been lifting for several years and went to my gf's bjj place several times and they got onto me for applying too much force and/or trying too hard when we would roll. it's not about strength, in fact you'll learn less if you rely on that. unless they offer mma classes in the same place, that might be your cup of tea if you want to apply some serious force.

I want to do bjj but I'm worried about getting STDs

I'm a former wrester, so it's not a completely foreign subject to me. I just feel like I should be doing higher reps now to help with conditioning, but I wasn't sure. I know you can waste a lot of energy relying on strength which is the opposite of what BJJ is trying to teach.

wut

oh dude if you wrestled in highschool or college you probably get the gist of the conditioning. there are a lot of fun drills you do for ab work and stretching there, just stick to how you normally work out, but maybe add some HIIT or some oly lifts. i didn't stick with bjj for long, but i've been doing judo for several years, and powercleans, clean and jerks, and snatches help me a lot with my throws. definitely row, run, and swim, or whatever you like to do for cardio, because rolling will seriously gas you quickly if you're not preparing your anus for it.

sweaty full contact
people bleed all over you
gym mats have peoples blood and sweat

get herpes and AIDS

Put increased focus on compound lifts and plyometrics. Work in a bit of cardio. Don't feel bad if people half your weight submit you.

I'm in the same boat right now, doing powerlifting BJJ and paddling. BJJ is kind of bad on the gains but I yinknits worth it fo sho

>don't lick the blood or the people
>wear rash guards so that you don't get staph or ringworm

Fucking imbecile.

Once you're into BJJ, you'll stop worrying about how it affects your gains and start worrying about how your gains affect your BJJ. Be prepared to fall in love

This

I do Gym:Krav Maga:BJJ every week and i have no issues with doing one every arvo 7 days a week. A martial arts is going to give you fun cardio and something to spark up your routine every week. BJJ is definitely my favorite choice of the 3.

Just be really careful dude. I did BJJ for a year, loved it, got up to 3-4 sessions a week and then really messed up my knee. I had structural issues that I wasn't addressing and now I still can't bend my knee at certain angles without a lot of pain. In BJJ there is a culture of pushing through pain and a lot of broscience.

If you are lifting and rolling several times a week, you are stressing the fuck out of your body and joints. Ramp up volume slowly, like over several months, and give yourself plenty of rest and off days to preserve your long-term health.

Just train like normal, unless you are competing BJJ and training it a lot it won't make much of a difference

this is what the American educational system produces

(((Krav Maga)))

Kys. Le eye gouging and ball sack kicking is not a martial art. It's a bullshit meme designed to gouge you for expensive classes. Hope you enjoy senpai Moishe fleecing your shekels.

BJJ is legit though.

Sorry champ but the krav classes come free through the BJJ membership, not to mention its focus on striking and standing game, which BJJ doesnt touch on enough.

>how will you fend off an attacker with a weapon long enough to disengage.
>protip, you wont.

I'm doing bjj or judo classes on my lifting rest days. Seems to work for me so I'm not putting that much thought into it.

BJJ classes , if youre doing them like we do in Brazil, will burn right through your calories.
20 minute intense conditioning, 30 min technique, and 30 minute roll.

You gotta eat

Dont get me wrong, bjj is madly fun, but if you want to keep a tough body (muscle and bone) AND practice a martial art, Muay Thai is much better.
Krav Maga was never meant to be used as a martial art or a sport for that matter, it is taught to the fucking army of Israel, the hole idea of Krav Maga is for it to be effective, not some traditional art. I'm not sure what your definition of "legit" means, but as far as "useful" goes, knowing when and how to kick the balls is far better than knowing how to grapple.

I'd like to borrow this thread for a martial arts question

Kyokushin karate or Muay thai? My goals are to unlearn fear of pain, meet some new friends (I'm a student who only knows students), get a good workout. The first two point towards MT, but I'd like to hear your opinion Veeky Forums.

Also, does anyone have experience with dating/fucking martial art chicks? My first sexual experience was getting grinded by a girl at judo camp when I was 11 or 12 (as in, she was sitting across me grinding my dick with her crotch). I haven't really thought about it much, but maybe karate girls are fucked up in the right way? MT for friends, Kyokushin for grills? Help me out Veeky Forums.