How do you guys progressively overload the overhead press? What rep/set range do you use?

How do you guys progressively overload the overhead press? What rep/set range do you use?

I'm currently at 5x5 54kg and 3x8 with 22kg dumbbells, but unlike other compounds I don't feel like I can consistently add weight week to week, sometimes I'll stall for over a month. Also the lightest plates I have to work with are 1kg, so the smallest jump I can make on a barbell is 2kg(4.5lb)

by progressing in 1 kg steps. volume is best at progressing in OHP

So increase the volume further? What would you recommend, 4x8 with the barbell?

For me, it's always responded best to a lot of submaximal sets. About ten or so per session, ranging from singles up to fives. Usually I do something vaguely Hepburn-ish and start with something I can hit for a ton of triples and gradually turn it into a ton of fives. If I want to max I spend a few weeks doing singles with progressively more weight and fewer sets.

My smallest plates are 1.25kg, so I just go up in 2.5kg steps each week and deload 5kg and work back up if I fail my sets 2 weeks in a row. Making steady progress from dyel to 67.5kgx3reps like this.

I just stick with a weight I can do for 5, until I can do it for 10.

Then I move it up 2.5kg and start from 5 again.

Yeah it seems suboptimal, but it generally keeps progress moving slow and steady.

I can do 1pl8 for 12 now pic, see vid

mirin that bar speed

baka desu senpai

what the fuck? this isn't what i typed. i typed baka desu senpai

baka desu senpai

kys yourselves

Welcome to Veeky Forums newfriend. If you have any questions please refer to the sticky post on top :^)

thank you

I do pyramids, purely for volume but strength comes also along nicely

>OHP new PR
>second set
>*crack*
>elbow starts cracking with every rep
the fuck

10*20 and go up 5lbs every day until I feel "weak"
Then I rest a bit and switch to behind the neck press and do the same.

I drop sets if I can't complete them, but still get in 200 reps.

I've only been doing it for 2 weeks, but it's working pretty well.

I will deload 5-10lbs once I stall, get my total sets up, and then slowly transition to a 15RM.

5x5 54kg but only 3x8 22kg DB? I got to 60kg for 5x5 and was repping 35kg DB for reps all with full ROM. Your DB press seems quite weak compared to your OHP

You're a tremendous outlier if your DB press is better than your BB press.

You were repping a combined 70kg with dumbbells by the time you were doing 60 with a barbell?

By BB press I mean standing OHP, not seated. My seated OHP I got to like 90kg for reps

see

Those are some fucked up ratios all right. Standing is typically a bit harder than seated but it ain't meant to be only two thirds the weight.

Weak lower back

Not really, 90kg seated OHP, 35kg seated DB OHP and 60kg standing OHP

Deadlift 4 pl8

OP here, both my dumbbell and barbell OHP figures are standing. I've never done any seated variations

4x8 + 1xF
Drop sets
Arnold presses
Weird lateral presses (Y in YMCA)
More weight
More volume

Biggest thing with OHP is volume, add a few more reps every day til you can add a few kg and start back at 4x8, repeat ad infinitum

Someone explain this to me, because I can comfortably OHP 90kg for a single standing and I can barely manage anything sitting

Add more sets.

Do 3x8, next week 4x8. Keep adding sets to you feel like you are overreching.Then pick up the heavier weights. Works like a charm.

That doesn't make any sense, are you sure you're not doing push presses?

Nope, strict from the pins. I mean, I can DB shoulder press 40s comfortably for triples, but turn it into a barbell and I just fall apart if it's seated