/Rowing/ General

Hey Fit just thought i'd start a general for the god tier sport/workout of /Rowing/. Im an elite level rower for Ireland will answer any questions. If you really are Veeky Forums why dont you /row/?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yNzTgjuCY
alexkrupp.typepad.com/sensemaking/2011/04/get-fast-fast-a-project-management-approach-to-lightweight-rowing.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it possible to get a decent physique with rowing alone?

I love rowing, its my only cardio right now. How many km a week should I go for? I went from 3:00 500m to 2:15 500m splits in a few months, its addicting to out row yourself week to week. If I stay with it, what sort of physique does it grant?

You can get fairly otter mode

This is completely possible with the volume and intensity you can row at with proper technique, not to mention rowing is often accompanied by weightlifting anyway, but yeah completely possible

a very impressive, balanced physique, focusing on legs, backs, arm, core, and shoulders

ok, thanks.

Do you shoot your hips back part way through or drive with your legs throughout? Any tips on varied grips or belly button vs sternum pulling?

I don't know how to read the screen.
There is one section that shows time and 500m. I assume it's the time that takes me to row 500m? What time should I aim for as beginner?
And there is a section that says m/s i think. What m/s should I aim for?
Also what resistance to I set it too form 1 to 10?

keep it under 2mins per 500m
set it to 6

Op here, i always use the exact same grip with my hands as far out on the handle as possible, and sternum always aswell, and your hips should never shoot back, this is all apart of the core of rowing

anything under 2 minutes is good for a beginner especially on long distance stuff and for the drag factor, go into the menu and select drag factor, pick a setting around 6 and pull on it until you can get it to read 135 because the drag is different on all machines due to wear and tear

I just do rows for my warm up usually get something between 1,1-1,2km (for burgers 0,71 miles) in 5 mins, am I gud?

Which county?

its ok for someone who probably dosen't have great form but its not a competitive time
Westmeath

Please make rowing general a thing

Where should I fit my row in SL? After finishing all my lifts or go on a seperate day purely for rowing?

i would say both, it's great for warming up because its full body but's also extremely good cardio

It used to be about 10 or 15 years ago that a 2k time of under 8 mins was decent and under 7 was competitive at a collegiate level (certainly not everyone at a collegiate level was sub 7 but to be competitive...)

Now I would say sub 7 is considered decent and around a 6:30 time is competitive at a collegiate level though there are those that get past 6:00 and at some indoor rowing competitions times of 5:30ish are happening. Obviously ~5:30 is like top in the world, but there are people getting to and below 6:00 at collegiate rowing. There are also different levels expected, Oxford and Cambridge obviously have standards a world away from most other universities in the world. I know a guy that did well at a few different unis with rowing and his erg time was only 6:45 or there abouts.

Note tho that ~6:00 is enough to get you considered for a place on nearly any Olympic team it's world class. It's also around the point where erg time and on the water times diverge significantly so someone erging a 5:30 is not necessarily winning any olympic medals, whereas someone at a 6:10 and not able to get better might. Weight factors into this a little, but also indoor rowing has become its own sport with its own specific techniques.

This is about heavyweights btw. No idea about lightweight specifics. If you want to factor in your weight into the time there's a calculator on the concept2 site too.

I bought a Concept2 Model D awhile back but rowing is so fucking boring that I stopped bothering. How do I make it less boring? I like lifting, for what it's worth

how to utilize rowing for muscle gains? HIIT/sprints or something?

also, provide some decent entry level programs and resources with which we can learn more about proper rowing. thanks.

Do a 10k while watching an episode of Suits or of Elementary.

t. Hyper-pleb.

So listen to music or watch something like with everything else like this.

The rowers on the team always set it to 4.

Wait what team lightweight women?

>pick a setting around 6 and pull on it until you can get it to read 135
Good advice. Set it lower if you have any back twinges too.

The number makes no difference in most situations. A lower number is more like a smaller boat at speed and a higher one a bigger one going slower, but the erg only measures torque so it's never really easier at any given number, just a different feel.

Often old and dusty machines have to be set quite low. I found a couple in one gym that were so badly kept that they barely got to 135 drag on the lowest settings.

Which one are you OP?

youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yNzTgjuCY

bigger boats go faster my man

Neither those are our lightweight boys paul and gary im training up for the 2020 olympic 8 :)

So what's your 2k? 6:24 here. Also 2:57 1k.

They'll never know the feeling of 5am practice on the water watching the sunrise with their teammates they develop lifelong bonds with

feels bad bruh

6:02 right now aiming for 5:55 for november indoors

They have more drag too.

I forget what their base thing is exactly, but it's something like rowing an 8 with everyone rowing just like you at such and such a speed. Whatever ways, it'll get set to different shit for all sorts of reasons, and it doesn't really matter for your times anyway.

one of the many joys of it teaches you the training and dedication you need for success

it can matter hugely for your times, drag goes up with the more power you have

>it can matter hugely for your times
Nah m8. It measures torque and torque alone. I'm specifically talking about the erg here.

There's a mild difference with the most extreme numbers, so big guys wrenching it tend to stick it on a 10 and do well, smaller guys do well on the lower numbers. I believe it's to do with actually getting up and down the slide, for a big dude actually moving themselves quickly is more difficult than a little guy, and that's really what you need on low drag, to go up and down that thing as fast as you can. Putting force into the flywheel is easier with high drag because it's typically moving slower and is harder to accelerate anyway, so you can do a slow but powerful movement. Or wrench it (like with an erg racing start).You'll probably find when doing any of the peak power tests that settting drag as high as possible gives better times too. But for normal shit like rowing a distance normally it makes little to no difference what you set it to because torque is the same.

exactly i said with more power that you have e.g. the bigger you are everyones right here bud

No worries. I'm typing out some of my understanding of it for my own sake if you know what I mean.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on a couple of things tho:
1. Back prehab - do you do anything for it, if so any tips?
2. Strength shit. Particularly what do you think of this alexkrupp.typepad.com/sensemaking/2011/04/get-fast-fast-a-project-management-approach-to-lightweight-rowing.html
A couple of years back I tried to tick box everything there but as a heavyweight, but I got good times without following through anyway so eh.

Nice bro.

I used to row in college. I still have flashbacks from 2k sprints on the ergs. Joining crew was the greatest commitment I ever made though.

Cardio you can do pretty much every day from the get go. Beginner's Pete Plan allows a minimal 3 times a week thing if you want to do that, but doing 5 days a week probably won't hurt you either.

Also, what is your 2k PR? Sweep or scull? And what boats do you compete in?

In terms of back prehab i do it at the end of a weight session aswell as doing slanted warm ups if im doing any weights with my back because i get back problems from being 6'6'' so I stay extra safe especially because rowing is so intensive on the back at full pelt.

In Terms of the programme i think its great if you can manage it because i believe if you can see progression on the water/erg stick to it because short term programmes never give me enough so i like long loaded programmes with tests every so often its just how I click i'd be more than interested to help you with the programme and see how it works for you because I myself am not a lightweight but the more I can know about it the better.

Thanks my man I train under the same man who trained the Winklevoss twins

6:02 @135 drag i train alot in a single but im going for an 8 (sweep) for Tokyo 2020 but I do prefer sculling because you can learn more by yourself and I feel the practice you get is in a single :) But locally i compete in a single because, not to sound cocky, I out perform the people in my club by a mile but I do it for the love of it

I keep reading lightweight and heavyweight in here can someone enlighten me on it

This makes my traps incredibly sore and pain lasts for quite a bit. Is that normal? I've had a few trap stains and don't want it to come back.

I do alot of Rowing in crossfit, Feels a thousand times better than running or the Assault Bike.

rowing.....cardio?...are you sure your in the right thread? Cardio is for POWs, Girl Scouts, and holocaust victims not for fitness, if you want to lose weight lift weight if you want to gain weight lift more weight plain and simple, and if you really feel like being different and not lifting then either do a martial art or gymnastics either way your gonna be throwing around body weight and learning some pretty decent skills as well as body control, even if your bodies starting to give out rowing isn't for you do some basic body weight training and become a security guard. And don't mention functional strength as a former wrestler and gymnast I can tell you first hand no amount of basic rowing will give you anywhere near the level of strength in any manner as going against someone and having to exert your entire body fluidly to perform a proper move or trying to do giants on a high bar, and even those pale in comparison to just manning up and going to the gym so you can bench twice your body weight with ease

I'll post some bits over the next few threads. I'm coming back to it after a couple of weird injuries from accidents now. My self assigned aim is to find a way to be a superheavyweight rower with good speed, and at the very least that'd allow me to win erg comps. I think my body is capable of that weird niche, but I'm also coming to this fairly late in life (late twenties) so I'm not massively bothered about doing or winning anything important. Just want to see what's possible.

I found trying to get to 35 pullups gave me god tier stability at the top of my torso. I gave up just shy of being able to do 20 tho. So it helped at least.

It's basically to allow shorter people to compete too, no joke. Cut off is around 70 kg, I think it's like 72.5 for any one person is max but you need an average of 70.

I have never been below 80kg in my adult life so I might be wrong.

72.5kg boat average is the lightweight cut off :)
You have clearly never properly rowed please leave the thread you slow meathead

Well that olaf guy won a gold at 42 so I believe in you man keep me updated on this thread

Get a Form check :)
I know and its full body its a great sport my man

Hi brah Im doing a 100km 'race' in an 8 this summer. Boat training 2x a week and hitting the ergo once/twice.

What weightlifting workout regimen would you recommend? Currently doing super high volume, low intensity deadlifts and squats primarily.

Box Jumps, Seal Rows, High Rep Body weight squats but most importantly for that long a race i'd recommend more erg time

I feel like I'd have potential in this if I'd picked up rowing at 18 instead of 30. 3 months ago, I started and 2000M at 7:15.Down around 6:55 now. Cardiotarding prior to rowing was just bball/bjj

Fuck yeah another rowing thread.

I'm gonna try to walk on to a D1 team when I get out of the military. In high school my best 2k was a 6:23 my senior year but then I got expelled over some bullshit and lost all my offers from colleges. I'm in even better shape now but my erg times have gone down.

Whatre you favorite erg workouts? I have a couple years before I get out and I figure I can probably get at least under 6:30 in that time.