>go there for back day once
>hit the lat pull down machine
>weight stack is just numbered 1-20
>pin at 10
>fucking hard
>ask desk guy how much each weighs
>its the number times 10
>no way i just struggled that much with 100lb lat pull downs

Why the fuck would they not just say how much it weighs on the weight?

Are you used to a two pulley machine ?

Perhaps this was a *single* pulley machine.

>do you even mechanical physics ?

I don't even remember man. Are you implying it was actually 200 pounds?

I've never honestly noticed a difference between two and one pulley

As a guy not from the USA, why is everyone laughing at this gym?

free pizza on mondays
"lunk alarm" which is essentially a shame buzzer sets off if you grunt
general unhealthy bullshit with no inclination to actually change lifestyle

We're jealous that you don't have to reserve benches, there

>no barbells
>dumbbells only go up to 60
>once a month, they have free bagel morning and free pizza night
>advertising campaign that makes fun of big strong people

Basically, it's a cardio theater for people who aren't hardcore/autistic enough to go to a real gym

I'm not implying the actual weight of the stack, as I a ignorant of said machine... I can share with you my gym has a four-station pulley set up.... the ones on the "ends" are 1 pulley, the ones on the "side" are 2 pulley....

Hole #3 on the end is not the same as Hole #3 on the side stacks. The mechanical advantage comes with more pulleys you have.

Ex: triceps rope pull downs are way harder on the ends... in the same "hole".

>Would I lie to you, hunky bro' ?

ooooooh, okay. I thought you were talking about how many attachemnt points for handles there were.
... I'm gonna go run and look at all the machines at my gym, now.
But... why would gyms trick us like that?

You do realize the lunk alarm is controlled by the employees, right? They only set it off for people that're actually trying to set it off, like if you go in there intentionally grunting like a retard. You think they'd actually waste money on shock pads or noise monitors?

Yeah and the employees are fucking faggots. You'll get kicked out just for pushing limits.

Gyms trick you to give you false hope. The key to mechanical advantage is this:

Compare your total path to the vertical path of the weight.

For example, if you move a weight 4 foot up the sled of a leg press, but only 2 feet vertically, then the mechanical advantage is 2:1 (you only lifted half the weight).

The same works with pullies. If the pullies are only redirecting force, the weight stack will move as much as your arms. If they are giving mechanical advantage, your arms will move more than the weight stack.

Theres people at my planet fitness who wear exposing clothes,grunt,and drop weights and the lunk alarm wont go off, other times it will. It just depends if the autistic employee's are on shift or not. It's seriosuly fucking annoying though I must say. It's ear rape and you can hear it loudly even if you across the gym or in the locker rooms

. Also the pizza thing is preety annoying as I am cutting and it'd suck having to smell pizza during my entire workout. But when i'm bulking I can just grab a box of pizza and walk out. People just need self-control, I see fat people drinking Mountain dew kickstarts and shit like that in the locker rooms and its preety sad.

>went to a run down planet fitness
>2 staff members at the desk only
>20 people in the gym in general
>15 running on treadmill
>virtually have the weights for myself

can't say for other pf gyms, but it wasn't as bad as the meme makes it out to be.
I guess the only real problem is if you want to socialize but it just helps me stay focused on my sets.

Looping the rope around some extra wheels doesn't magically make the weight lighter, dumbass

no it doesn't the picture is misleading although the effect is real. the entire point of a pulley is to reduce the amount of force necessary to move a given weight. You divide the FORCE (not mass) by the number of pulleys to get the new necessary force. His picture is also misleading because it labels a 4-pulley system as a 3-pulley system even though it somehow gets the equivalent force correct. The amount of work done remains the same because the rope in the pulley system must now move an additional distance as a result of extra pulleys. This is high school physics.

It makes the force needed to pull them less. But the path you need to pull is longer. Learn 2 middle school physics, that guy is right.

Same amount of work, half the power required.

It's not about the weight, its about the amount of mechanical work to move the weight.

Lke said.

Its the same Work but less force.

its a gym specifically designed for DYELs who will never, ever, EVER make it

>simple tools are too complicated for my brain to comprehend

A lot of people in my planet fitness are jacked. some middle aged black man comes in and benches 400lb on the smith machine. A lot of other people are really muscular aswell some are prob on roids.

I've gone to Planet Fitness for years.

When it comes to the members: it's exactly the same as any other large gym. There are just as many jacked bros, just as many awkward kids autising all over the benches, and just as many middle aged women on the strair steppers.

As for the equipment: there are barbells. I think this depends on which you go to, but there are benches and barbells that aren't attached to the smith machines. There is no squat rack, so you'll just have to live with that.

On the lunk alarm: at any given time the gym is operated by a single pimple faced teenager, who does not give any fuck what you do. I've seen the lunk alarm go off probably twice because someone was dropping the weights...problem was that the guy had no idea the alarm was for him, because nobody actually came up to him and asked him to stop dropping the weights.

TLDR: Planet Fitness is just like any other gym, but for $10/month.

Ive been going there for about a year now and I approve. My pf personally does not have a bench though, only 4 smith machines. It's an okay gym overall especially if your starting out.

> not having a free weight bench only smith machine

I can't believe you guys still defend it

theyre obviously never going to make it

my pf has the weight of the plate. I left there to go to the Y which has 1-15 increments with no weight reference.

My pf is great as well. They have a greeter who takes my european shoulder bag for me, and they recently added moisturizer stations so I can keep my skin soft and uncallused.

Nah but seen guys set it off to no consequences.

I joined it because my sister was a member and when I mentioned looking for a gym she took me there as her guest and they had some sale.

I sorta was iffy on it but figured that was my fat gay brain being a pussy about it and I should just join. I did and it's alright though now that I've progressed past that max 60 barbell they got, and they have no squat racks, it's annoying. I'm just doing dumbbell squats and pistol squats along with single leg deadlifts till my year membership is up. It's alright otherwise. Worth it for the free haircuts I guess.

I felt a little sad reading that green text.

They never do anything at ours. Dead lifts squats no probs.

Nice qt's work here and chat and actually clean.

this gym is 24 h?

yeah but some are shittier about keeping to that than others

Maybe it was 100kg