Existentialism Problems

>mfw my father is building Houses and churches and other stuff out of stone that will last throughout the ages
>mfw my brother is a sculptor and creating statues that will last throughout the ages
>mfw i am waisting my life and not creating something to be remebered for.

What are you doing with you life /fit? You all talking about chads and stacies and workouts and all that but all of this will be gone and rot . Will you be remebered or vanished to oblivion /fit ?

''To create Above us " That is the goal

I have a lofty goal of joining the military as an officer after college and then running for political office after I get out. I also write because I feel like creating something is something any man should do, even if said creation is terrible.

>mfw a random user on a swedish fishing forum tries to tell me what the "goal" to life is

I'm a fireman\emt, while I may not create anything to be remembered, I create an opportunity for others to live another day, people will not know me, but I know I have impacted the future of the world in some way, no matter how inconsequential each life may be, it changes something.

Create sons, user.

>Create family
>Raise children to become outstanding contributors to society
>You and your family name will live on forever

why dont you do what they do?

I believe in a form of reincarnation. I don't care about leaving a lasting legacy because the energy that I'm made of has been around long before and will be around long after anything we create has been atomised.

My only purpose is to experience, understand and feel. Feels pretty good learning to just let go.

Sounds like a shitty excuse just to be a hedonist, to be honest

Everyone is a hedonist in their own way. I do what I like to do. I just so happen to enjoy learning, cultivating skills and being absolutely chill as fuck.

There's nothing wrong with living a life of pleasure. What's really abhorrent is being such a pleb that you think pleasure amounts to partying and easy pussy. That's a half-assed way to live.

You know what's the most fun of anything? Getting really good at stuff.

>last throughout the ages

ur memeing right?

>thinking feeling any pleasure always equals to hedonism

Please open a book, both of you, before spewing shit about things you do not know

>waisting

Hedonism is purely the pursuit of pleasure as the highest good. In that way what I said was correct. Everyone is constantly seeking to fulfil a need at any given moment. Fulfilling needs is intrinsically pleasurable. Therefore everyone is a hedonist in one way or another whether they want to be or not.

Hedonism =/= party party party

>Fulfilling needs is intrinsically pleasurable

Seethatswhereyourewrong.jpeg

I make pocket knives that will Outlast my grandchildren if they are properly cared for. Wipe them down after use and oil the joints now and then and they will serve you for the rest of your life.

even those statues and churches will rot my friend, time is gonna claim every sun in the galaxy and theres nothing you can do about it. the sooner you realise that and focus on keeping yourself happy in the present, the better

No physical thing can last forever user. That isn't to say creating physical marvels is pointless or unimpressive--quite the opposite. They're necessary in many ways.

But you can do many things to impact the world. Making a difference in the life of another through aid, kindness, love, morivation, or education are all equally critical. You can do those things, too.

>muh legacy
>muh be remembered
Pathetic

That is an utterly tautological understanding of hedonism. Sure, if you want to see it that way, every single ideology thus conceived by man (and the ones that are to come) is hedonist. What's the use for the word, then? Why did hedonists label themselves, or were labeled, as such?

You're misunderstanding the fundamental nature of pleasure. We do not do things because they bring pleasure, but because they feel pleasing. Pleasure is not a thing, but a way we asses things, a situation. There is no "seeking" pleasure because it, as itself, does NOT exist.

That is why hedonism is such a shallow philosophy, even compared to it's ethical and social counterpart. What you are trying to do is a contemporary rereading of old hedonism, and that's why you try to classify everything as pleasure, to have more consistency. But in doing that, it becomes sterile and pointless.

>but aren't we seeking pleasure by trying to achieve the pleasing situation?

No. Read again. You cannot seek something if the thing-in-itself (not in a kantian way) does not exist. Rather, pleasure is just a part of human processing system, the way we perceive the world and make choices, so to say - like logic.
Hedonism necessarily sets the latter aside (among a few other things) in favour of the former, or the word loses its meaning. So no, not "everyone is a bit hedonist". Just like hedonism is not "party party party", "party party party" is not "necessarily seeking pleasure above all things".

thank you

Time destroys all things, every monument will wash away on a long enough timeline. Things like pride and fame aren't healthy motivations for life-living. When you're dead you're not going to care if people remember you as the guy who did the cool thing, because you'll be dead.
Focus on taking your own path that leads to happiness. People make the mistake of thinking that fame or material success is happiness, but it isn't.

Was ozymandias natty tho?
We're his works quarter reps?

But will the dead me care for the happiness of my living me?
Hmmm!
Looks like the dead me cares about nothing at all, since he's dead, meaning bringing him in as an argument is not an argument at all.

It's your argument that having post-mortem legacy matters, not his.
See how stupid you look now?

This.

Our planet, race and existence are so insignificant if you're thinking of leaving some legacy. It's basically just expressing that you are so scared of death that you need to "live on" some other way.

Well listen here buckwheat, everybody will forget everybody. Everybody will die. The light of Earth will extinguish forever eventually.

I'm not saying "Yolo" or anything retarded like that. I'm saying it should bring peace that everything stressing you is ultimately temporary and insignificant. Also that the good times you experience are to be cherished.

I try and picture myself on my deathbed, wondering what I will think when finally facing death. I understand that an astronomical number of people and other creatures have already crossed that threshold. I know it is my time. I know there will be no more stress or pain (I'm a Christfag, but this applies to anyone.) There is nothing to fear.

ty for the positive outlook buddy

/thread

It's one thing to say this and another to experience. Careful with the Yolo though cause the guys I know living that life are now injecting heroin thinking it's hip and cool when nothing could be further from the truth.

There are some things worse than death

Yeah you're right about experiencing things being different than saying. Just some food for thought to keep in the back of your head.

You're the one who benefits most from your happiness. Depending on whether you believe in an afterlife (which I'd rather not get into bc it gets complicated), your focus should be on working towards that, not fame. When you're past middle age, you'll usually fall far into either contentment or bitterness. Notice how 90% of old men you meet are either chill as fuck, or "get off my lawn" assholes. Finding out how to bring hapinness and peace to yourself if how you end up as the former.

its sad that there are people who believe that you should focus on yourself cause everything at the end ends and nothin really matters blah blah blah. Lol no wonder nothing important will grow from you. If remarkable people were taught from you then there would be no Caesars, no Alexanders , no Achilles, no Napoleons, no Newtons. What a waist. Why working out when at the end you will die right ? Pathetic.
P.S Dont start with historical arguments its not the point here.

Don't whine about not contributing to the world when you don't even make an attempt to do so.

>cause everything at the end ends and nothin really matters blah blah blah
That's now really what they're saying, the argument is that you as an individual shouldn't put legacy on such a pedestal that you overlook self-actualization and fulfillment.

So what's your definition of hedonism? Not the same user btw.

Nothing important will grow from you either, the difference is I don't get upset over that.

What self actualization and fulfillment you are talking about? Is it Happiness ? if so then you are talking about Eudaimonia and this eudaimonia as an aristotelian concept is not a state but is achieved by action. Leaving a legacy or achieving Eternal glory is the best motivation for getting into this action we are talking about. Thinking about happiness and eudaimonia is not enough. With action you get your self actualization.

Hedonism is the idea that pleasure is the supreme good and must be achieved as the meaning of life, seeking it just for the sake of it (that's why they are generally depicted as ever pushing for new extremes in orgy, alcohol and drugs - the repeated action will cease to bring pleasure, losing it's meaning).

The problem is that it's based on wrong conception, i.e., that there is such a thing as pure pleasure. That is why people aren't hedonists... because most people don't do it out of ideology, they do it BECAUSE they enjoy (among other reasons, such as it being the right thing to do, etc). Not TO enjoy.