Is there a particular point to dips other than building triceps?

Is there a particular point to dips other than building triceps?

How come it's often included among the "essential" compound exercises? I can see the purpose of squat, bench, ohp, deadlift, pendlay rows, and pullups, but do dips add anything that the others don't have?

>Is there a particular point to dips other than building triceps?
Chest too. Also, very heavy on your shoulders, but not in a good way, especially if you're tall.

>How come it's often included among the "essential" compound exercises?
It's simple af, and it's sort of a opposing movement for pull-ups.

It's great for building chest if you do it correctly.

Try to force your legs backwards, during the dip. You'll feel your pecs working like a motherfucker.

Can reccomend even tho I suck at them.

It prepares you for when roasties start trying to suck your dick and you have to push them away.

Do you not understand the difference between subductors and abductors?

But does it work the chest in a way that isn't covered by bench for example?

>subductors
That's not a real thing...

No.
Push-ups cover muscles that bench/dips doesn't; despite dips being way harder.

>Also, very heavy on your shoulders, but not in a good way

This is why you don't go at or below parallel when doing dips. 45-60 degrees is the optimal dip angle

i thought you were supposed to go until your shoulders were below your elbows, if not, can you show a video of proper rom?

Dips are the squats of the upperbody, great mass builder

the stretch is insane

How do I into dips? I am not convinced I can do them for shit, especially not when I don't have the form down

How do I learn without looking like a complete retard falling off the bars trying to make it work?

That's what people say, but also notice how they tend to have fucked up shoulders in the long run.

Partial ROM isn't always bad

If you have access to a gym, use the assisted machine.

Otherwise get gud at pushing exercises and then keep trying to do a dip until you get it. You won't fall off the bars if you keep a strong grip and keep pushing

That would alleviate the movement, but still very heavy on your acromioclavicular joint in a very unusual fashion (supporting yourself on this joint), way more than the upright row, which well known it's bad... Depending on the leverage (long limbs), it may also be too heavy for sternoclavicular joint too.

Dips are good if you're short limbed and not tall (same build as pro gymnasts btw), but other than that, you're better doing push-ups and bench...

found the dyel

I dip 60kg weighted for reps at 87kg bw and my shoulders are fine

Where does it stretch?

t. never dipped

Don't think we have an assisted dips machine.

I've been doing skullcrushers but I am stuck at the same weight for ages, and they're not comfy any more.

What exercises are good?

the chest dummy

and if you're a stiff dyel will stretch your shoulder too, but thats good some shoulder flexibility wont hurt you fggts

>SUBDUCTOR
LMAO

>dips
let me guess, you do them weighted too

you can start using one bench, then 2 benches, have someone put a weight on your lap, and it'll help you prepare a bit at least

Chair dips. They will help you a lot, you can either use a chair at home or use the bench.

I do them sometimes because here in Korea every few blocks we have these mini outdoor gym things. Like where in America there are playgrounds, in Korea there's a bunch of weird workout equipment. I feel like 90% of it is useless unless you're old, but they have parallel bars typically and pullup bars so I'll knock out a couple sets if I just feel like I have a lot of energy that day. I'd probably avoid dips if you're already at a gym because there's much better shit to do, and it's easy to have bad dip form, but they aren't evil or anything.

thanks, i'll try those on

If I have a home gym what can i use to do dips?

>Push-ups cover muscles that bench/dips doesn't; despite dips being way harder.

curious about this, id assume pushups and bench were closer together, both being horizontal pushing movements and dips being vertical

2 chairs

Oh that might actually work thanks

Do you not understand the difference between superconductors and cuck busters?

found the manlet

Enjoy your permanently inferior genetics

>there's much better shit to do
Doubtful, given nearly all of history's most successful record-breaking bench pressers used dips as their main assistance movement. Take Pat Casey, for instance.

DYEL?

When doing pic related, when, if at all, would you guys add dips?

Chest, brah.

If you're strong enough, you can seriously fuck up the chest muscles doing dips. I don't think there's any other exercise that feels as good as dips - you can literally feel your entire chest ripping apart.

Well, those exercise are all essentially strength movements. So, personally, I wouldn't do them, as dips are a compund movement, i.e. a bodybuilding exercise

do it on any day you're bench pressing

dips are great for building strength and you can go hard and heavy on them without needing a spotter. I love weighted dips

Not sure if trolling or retarded

There's scapular protraction on the end of the push-up, which lacks on both dips and bench. If you do that at the end of dips, you'll lose balance; on bp you can't do that bc your back is resting on a bench.

There's not much difference between horizontal and vertical movements in general. Both pec major and lat dorsi works in neither hor. or vert. planes, but rather in a angle between both, while also rotating the arms int/externally. That's why you either lean backward or forward when pressing or pulling.

Just don't do weighted dips, they will fuck up your shoulders.
Dips are crazy good for chest

meh I'm weak as fuark (barely bench my own weight), also long limbed

can dip for 10+ reps as low as possible and shoulders are fine

you guys just have fukked up joints

are dips meant to hurt your sternum at first? or am i about to fuck my shit up

>are dips meant to hurt your sternum at first? or am i about to fuck my shit up
Dips are meant to hurt nothing. Just like any other exercise you should feel a stretch if anything, but no pain.

Dips hit a lot of muscle groups at once.

I find that dips work my triceps as well as upper back and shoulders quite a bit. I enjoy them.

Do you understand the difference between trips and sips?
YOUR MUSCLES ARE TECTONIC

Dips are a great work out for the chest provided you do it correctly. You need to angle your body as parallel to the ground as possible so that the line of pull of the muscle is as close to being perpendicular to the force of gravity as possible
>tucking your chin will increase the contraction in your chest

So could I when I was 20
Now my shoulders click if I raise my arms over my head

Take it easy until they stop hurting your sternum

i feel tension in my shoulder when doing dips, it is realy uncomfortable. i have long limbs, should i avoid them do save my shoulder

i been having issues in my left shoulder since a few weeks into bodyweight stuff. i dont know what to do. god just doesnt want me to work out and stick to yoga instead

that shoulder flexion and mobiility exercises dont seem to do shit

Push ups make your serratus anterior work, think the thin muscles sort of between outside of chest and ribs, running down the sides of your body. Usually only seen if you're lean and ripped

buy some gym rings. Also pushups with gym rings are much harder.

i have stab wounds through my left serratus, so i can attest to this. weighted pushups were the only thing helping

Yep I got serious serratus anterior doms 1 month after not working out and deciding to crank out 2 sets of 20 push-ups

Can confirm dips are good for chest. I have massive pecs for my physique even though my lifting numbers are shit. When I posted in /CBT/ I was told I'm DYEL but need to stop hitting chest so hard, even though I only do dips and lmao1pl8 bench

Even my bench is 1pl8. I can do 3x8 of dips and it absolutely wipes me out
How many do you do? My chest is really poor compared to other lifts

By upright, you mean the one where you bring your wrists to your neck?

While not related to muscles dips seem to be good for your back health. My friend does them when he needs to straighten out or crack his spine.

i personally don't do them because I don't have a way to do them at home (before anyone suggest two chairs my wife bought all decorative flimsy ass chairs so it's not gonna happen)

I never feel my chest with dips. I even tried testing it today with just 45 pounds at varying leans and even the weight behind me. Even when I was going deep and slow as fuck with 90 pound dips, still nothing.

For the first time in a while I felt like I wasted time doing something for nothing.

Will dips work your lower chest no matter what you do? Is it one of those things like rows where you're always working your back no matter technique?

focus on making your chest as parralel to the ground as possible, so that the line of pull of the muscle is as close to being perpendicular with the force of gravity as possible. Also, one thing that WILL increase the contraction in your chest is tucking your chin. Remember that just because you don't think you "feel" the muscle being stressed heavily doesn't necessarily mean it isn't working. Squats work your glutes heavily for example, but I don't feel much stress in them simply because I am so used to working them, and instead I feel the stress in my somewhat weak core that is trying to catch up. Another problem could be the weight you are using. When operating at a high percentage of your one rep max, you won't be able to focus on the contraction as much and the movement becomes more of a function of the nervous system just trying to move the weight. With a lighter weight you will be able to focus on contracting your chest more without other muscles coming in to bail it out

Dips vs Close Grip Bench?

> For Triceps
> For Chest
> For Shoulders

>weighted dips

Ok cool. Will have to try next time. Though you are saying that no matter what, I am working my chest right?
The chin tucking is a good tip and I don't think I do that.

Also I only ever do 10 dips. I can't go higher than 90 because I'm pretty sure I am about to break my pullup bar and my dip bar when I do it. So for a time I was doing them as slow as possible.

Assuming you are doing them properly, then YES. You are working your chest no matter what. Like I said, you will generally feel the stress more in your weakpoints. Thing is, if you don't have a good awarness of how to contract your chest, then you may be allowing other muscles to pick up the slack without realizing. I find that Cable isolations and pause bench press are great for gaining an awarness of the contraction. Look up Better cable fly by athleanx (I believe thats the title or something similar), I prefer it to normal cable flies but if you do normal flies, have someone push into your back so that you have something to resist against so that your chest is maximally isolated. When you do pause bench, it will eliminate the stretch reflex, making it more pec dominant. If your problem, is that you don't know what a maximum pec contraction feels like, this might help. Also, for a quick anecdote, I do weighted dips myself, and I never really feel a high amount of stress in my chest personally, but my chest still grows simply because I am progressively overloading and getting stronger

No one ever uses the dip station at my gym, plus cgbp feels awkward on my wrists

Not that user, but yep that's an upright row. Not bad for everyone but generally speaking seems to be a relatively high risk movement. If you feel or hear clicking or grinding or pinching style of feeling when doing them probably a good idea to consider alternatives. High risk of shoulder impingement I believe.

Chest development, lat development, serratus anterior development

>acromioclavicular joint

i started doing bodyweight and my left shoulder has been impinging or something. not entirely sure what is causing it because i'm doing pushups, pullups, dips and bodyrows

should i take a few weeks off and restart without dips ?

Are u doing bench dips? In my case those destroy my shoulders,i don't know if it's my form, but from what i've heard you should avoid these, but asides from that, hard to fuck up in any of the other ones

yea u should take some time

Fucks me bro, not a doctor and all I have to go off is what you're telling me, ie can't see if you're doing things well or some serious form or ego weight usage issues. Coming from an older guy honestly see a physio or something. I skipped proper health care in my 20s cuz "I'll be right" mentality and now I have so many niggling injuries.
General rule is most things aren't supposed to hurt, so if it is - stop, seek help and either substitute the exercise or deload. Almost every exercise has alternatives that work the muscle just as well but make it lower risk for slight individual differences.

This part of my shoulder clicks whenever I do lateral raises.

Should I be worried?

Fuck

How do you do them, pinky up, thumb up, bent at hips forward or straight up and down?
I had similar click with no pain doing them pinky up (advice of gym bro who's massive so I just listened, it works fine for him) but changed on watching athleanx saying to do them thumb up and bent at hips. Honestly dunno enough to be sure, but no more click. It never hurt so maybe I was just being paranoid, do a search for other ways if it hurts though

Get good at pushups and bench dips? I just worked up to it with pushups.

Make sure you have some weight on the chairs if their balance is more biased towards the back. That's going to be one shitty way to snap your shit if they both tilt in on you.

Same happened to me. I skipped them a few times and took longer rest times. If it's hurting stop until it feels better than try again. Sorry kinda simple but just listen to your body.

Negative dips,
Jump up to the strarting position, and just control yourself into a very slow descent. This is one rep.
This also works for chin ups, pull-ups. Get into high position jumping, lock, and slow controlled descent.
You're working the exact same muscles, in the same direction, except instead of pushing/moving in the opposite direction to gravity you're just resisting it while going down

I swapped bench for dips last year.
Pecs have much better shape now. still get doms in chest from them. Not sure how my bench has been affected, but I am pretty sure I have at least maintained my strength
Plus, weighted dips looks really impressive to normies.