Femoroacetabular impingement

Sit down, my young friends, let me tell you a story.

> Squat all day, erryday
>550x5 max
> Such strength
> Start developing pain and loss of mobility in my right hip.
> End up in the ER because I thought I broke something.
>MRI returns a diagnosis of femoroacetabular impingement.
> Only cure is surgery, which still will lead to a hip replacement down the road.
> "Modify your routine, and no more squatting."
> My life is over

Moral of the story, bros: Squatting is fun, but in moderation. Fuck Rippletits for starting me down this path of daily squatting. The gains were great, but so not worth it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

that sucks dude, sorry.

I think it's funny when all these faggots on here decide to improve their life by getting stronger but because they're too stupid and undisciplined to actually put time and effort into researching extensively the proper way of doing things while also putting into practice meticulous control over themselves to slowly work their ways up with proper muscle patterns refined that they end up hurting themselves years down the line. The human body can tolerate stress to an extent and sure you can get big with relatively no issues even up to an advanced level of lifting if you've the right body type for it, but once you push you body to those boundaries of your frames potential you'll get your just desserts. I hate all of you faggots. Pick up some books before you try to get big morons.

wait so you did squatting every day, like no rest days or anything?

RIP ya man.
feelsbadman.

Idiot. Impingement can happen to anyone no matter the teqnique or knowledge. Some people have different bonelength in the little bone going into the hip. That can cause impingement. Some people never get a problem, and others do. And it can be really difficult to know what it is, because it feels like a muscular thing. I call it bad luck.

I'm sorry to hear that user. I've developed similar, but less severe, problems myself.
I was always so paranoid about reaching good depth, so I would squat as low as I could in low-bar, inevitably slamming my femur into the front of my acetabulum(hip socket) at the bottom of each rep.
Thankfully, I started having problems after only 3 months of doing SS, and so I was able to catch the problem much sooner, and therefore at a much lighter weight.
I couldn't squat for a month without feeling like someone was stabbing me in the front of the hips at the bottom of each rep.
The pain only stopped because I researched the problem.
I now do the appropriate band assisted stretches before squatting, and have cut my depth by about two inches.
I wish people would stop falling for the Slavic ATG meme like I did.
Squat to the appropriate depth for your hip anatomy.
youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo

Just keep training upper body and core and you'll be fine.

>it can happen to anyone, it's luck

8th grade reading comprehension detected, I can also tell you're one of those exact faggots who aren't meticulous about your gains. "As long as it meets your macros." Cancel your subscription fag. You'd be better off living an existence without meaning rather than trying to persuade others your life has value.

Are you telling me that squatting with good form will still fuck you up in time?

Not every single day. I did have rest days, but if I was lifting, I was squatting.

I had problems wit hip impingement for a long time, although it wasnt bony. I still suggest you should first try to modify your movement patterns in a way so that the femur moves around the problem zone, for example changing your foot angle and/or position, alter your external rotation and so on...
Dont give up squatting without trying at least

Don't give up brah
You're still gonna make it somehow

Its funny to see that, ever since the rise in popularity of squats and deadlifts in the gym, I keep hearing more and more of these stories.

Ive been going to the gym for 10 years. Nobody except powerlifters or strenght competitors used to do squats and deadlifts in the gym until like 5 years ago. Now almost everybody, even the biggest DYELS, gym noobs and aesthetic brahs are doing deads and squats at the gym. Sometimes with horrible form. Ive given up on giving these people advice since they just get offended.

And now people are getting injured left and right, what a surprise.

This is the price you all pay. Rippletits' SS is a jew conspiracy to get people to pay more on medical bills

Wow literal autism

The problem is, it's not necessarily a weight or form component. Often, yes, but before I dove into strength training, I did my research. Had my form critiqued by more people than I can remember, including people in the physical therapy world as well as dedicated strength trainers. I was a D1 college wrestler, so I really did understand what I was getting into.

The major problem for me is just essentially genetics and a predisposition to these kinds of injuries. I'm a PA (in an emergency room), but I've got a friend that works as one in an ortho practice. He invited one of his surgeons out golfing with us one day, and he essentially told me it was really just shit luck with these kinds of injuries.

>Kanyeshrug.gif

Well I wasnt aiming at you personally. Of course there are also exceptions. Its just what Ive observed in the last 5 years

Deads and squats more popular = more people with injuries. The spine and pelvis should always be handled with care and knowledge. Fucking up your shoulder is one thing, but fucking up your spine or pelvic area can fuck you up for life

Oh, no. I didn't take it that way. I agree with you 100%. I've seen some REAL stupid shit people are doing, and I've treated more Crossfitters that have done shit they shouldn't than I'd like to admit.

Just wanted to be a cautionary tale for guys that decide to go down this route. No matter how great your form is, if you overdo it, you're gonna have a bad time.

33 years old, and being told that you'll definitely need a hip replacement at some point is a pretty sobering experience.

I've got pain in my left hip flexor that is only present when heavy squatting.

I've pretty much given up squatting.

Deadlifts, leg extensions, and calf raises are all ya need and don't fuck your shit up like squats do. Maybe some leg press too

Some people have shit genetics. We dont even know of you were squatting with good form. Ive seen plenty of people squat high weight with abysmal form and claim that its the squats fault.

However ill give you the benefit of the doubt, sorry God gave you a shit hip. At least after all your years of lifting rehab should be an easy task to take on.

Replace leg extensions with dumbell lunges and you're good

Im going down the same path OP, jsut havent reached endgame like you. But i suspect my knees are gonna give up on me before hips, because highbar.

Stay strong man, atleast you'll be out of squatting knowing you werent afraid of squatting like 99.5% of fit.

I have pain in my left hip that only goes away when I am squatting. What now?

You can research all your life and get blindsided by some problem.
Also, researching deeply anough to foresee such problems would require of him tonhave literally become a surgeon, that level of knowledge.

So fuck you, fagboi. Do YOU squat 550, with your "disciplined research"?

>what now?

If your hips are feeling pain when you're doing absolutely nothing, and you choose to put them under stress via heavy squatting despite this, then you're an idiot.

That's "what now". Have fun with your 0 flexibility in a few years.

have fun with an average squat desu, id rather be prime shape of my life in my 20s and 30s instead of kind of good "fitness level xD" at 40 and up

Kek. No actual argument, nice.

What are you going to do with that 450lb 1RM (>implying), user? Are you an athlete? Are you training for an event?

When you can no longer walk without pain and you end up getting surgery every 2 years for the rest of your life, I'm sure you will thank your 20 year old self for being a "tough guy" and squatting heavy through injuries/pain. You cuck.

>be fatty
>decide to lose weight
>go to gym trial day
>do one ohp
>feel something pop in my back and sudden sharp pain
>leave gym instantly
>go to planet fitness, get a year membership for $200
>go every day for a year and do nothing but use the isolation machines
>lose over 100 pounds in 1 year
>actually have some definition and muscle too

I'm glad I was just barely smart enough to never listen to Veeky Forums. Maybe some basic nutrition advoce from you guys is ok, but you dont know what you're talking about when it comes to everything else.

It's not surprising you worship zyzz, who despite achieving the best aesthetics possible, still ended up killing himself due to unhealthy choices.

Nigger tell me what's wrong with me, I don't need your moralizing about my health, I need to know why I feel like an old German shepherd

Not him, and im not injured (yet).

>what's wrong with me
Nigga I don't know. I'm not a fucking physician. But it doesn't take one to know you shouldn't be doing something as strenuous as squatting when your hip feels fucked when you are just sitting or standing around.

You need to do rehab

Wait, if squatting heavy is so bad, why can Ronnie Coleman squat 800, with no injury, while OP injured himself at 500?

What could OP done to prevent this?

Ronnie can barely walk now

what are some books you reccomend?
Anatomy/stretch/skeleton books or what?

please answer i really don't want to injure myself, i train ICF 5x5 and im so scared to go heavier after reading the OP.

And, guess what? No ragrets.

>running powerlifting routines for literally a decade
>while running businesses
>465/335/525
>took extra days off if something felt bad
>kept up on mobility, flexability and prehab exercises
try harder

Ronnie is worth millions and he made that off of his body. Are you doing the same?

I dont think money is the only thing that made him do what he did.

Yeah, while I was a pretty good college wrestler, I'm definitely not Ronnie Coleman in the athletics/genetics department.

> Pic related

These people are actually on Veeky Forums. Reason why I never take advice from anybody here.

The guys here promote dangerous exercise such as heavyweight squatting and deadlifts and when someone gets injured...
>just foam roll brah
>have u tried stretching
>'what a pussy lmao' like Rippetoe would say himself
>like these overly simplistic things are gonna magically fix your joints

that book is written by a crossfit psycho though, strong doubts regarding his advice on human movement, LOL

life has more to offer than squatting. you're gonna make it bro