Hey Veeky Forums Making another thread for the god tier sport/workout of rowing, plan to make a sticky soon...

Hey Veeky Forums Making another thread for the god tier sport/workout of rowing, plan to make a sticky soon, elite level Irish rower here answering all questions
>135 drag factor master race
>your 2k starts with 7

Other urls found in this thread:

thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rowing is goat

Cool

Weightlifting + rowing is asking for injury imo, gotta rest that upper body so it grows into gains

All hail 135. I asked before about adjusting target split times and stroke rates for slides on a C2. Thoughts?

Also, thoughts on Pete's beginner plan?
thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/

My credentials: 6m10 2k, former captain of uni team, now coach.

I like the pete plan for beginners, it feels a lot like SS. Easy to follow and implement, you'll see improvements on it.

It does have a lot of issues though, mainly in that it's not efficient for long term use. Once you're past the beginner stage it can't be run all season. I see it as vaguely fititng into a plan as part of a pre-season meso-cycle. To use another lifting example, this is Veeky Forums after all, once you reach a certain level you need to have different periods in your training to maximise improvement, speed, hypertrophy, and strength, etc

I like keeping it at my standard 135 but if i was to go in any direction i'd make it harder because slides for me is to lean towards realism to water rowing
The pete plan is a very good programme for very new rowers but I wouldnt stick to it for long maybe 2 months at max then take on a spread of long distance and high intensity stuff to test yourself because it seems pretty bland reminds me of Stronglifts or Starting Strength
by Mark Rippletits

I may or may not get out on water and won't be super competitive (wrong build, etc.). What's good after Pete's for general conditioning, or is that the point when more targeted coaching needs to come in? Pete's beginner goes on for six months; if I do end up getting on the water, keep it, or drop it for whatever I can do in a boat?

How would you recommend lifting and rowing? I just aimlessly row for now but my first two weeks things like chin ups suffered. Back to gaining on them and above where I was before rowing.

Just curious because I'm trying to make two lifts to intermediate while cutting. After I hit those I may focus more on cardio due to a birth defect leaving me with 43% left ventricle function.

Have recommendations on the long distance/high intensity workouts? Or should I just go to C2 and do a mix of their long and short WODs?

what are your goals? indoor rowing? losing weight? Rowing in regattas?
My dude even manlets can succeed give your shot and join a club man :) and do petes plan while rowing for a club you wont be doing water intense stuff at first because there's so much to learn but give it your all my man
I highly recommend lifting and rowing its how I started getting serious into erging and because of the volume it can grant a very nice physique

Some weight loss, though I'm pretty close there. Mainly cardio conditioning, and then maybe supporting any on the water stuff I might do if I join the local club. That wouldn't be until June at the earliest, so I've got a little time. Dunno if they'll push to compete just for fun, but it's not a priority for me. Basically just looking to round out the cardio side of my fitness routine.

Is a 7:58 2k a decent start for someone with zero rowing experience? :/

Not so much the upper body as the back. There's evidence that rowing causes your muscles to do a worse job of protecting your back while they're fatigued, which is a recipe for disaster if you're also going hard on squats, deadlifts and cleans.

See above for info on safety.

Yes, for a female someone.

fuck

yea if you've never done anything in it before its a start
More so rest your back because its not necessarily about your 1 or even 5rm more so high reps and functional movements

its alright

look at petes beginner programme

Use heart rate monitor with it or no? Have trouble figuring out appropriate intensity for these workouts. Are all the set distance pieces UT2 and all the intervals AT? Or way overthinking it?

it will eventually break down like that but i never use my hr for max really i use it on ut40's to see how my fitness is progressing only for 2k's 1.5ks 1ks 500m and 100m would i ever go all out, so in those pieces i like to have nothing on my upper body so i dodge the heart rate monitor and focus on my split rate so yes i like heart monitors alot

Fuck rowing, it destroyed my body.
>started at 7:14 ish my first 2k at 14 years old.
>went 6:34.4 at 160ish lbs at 18 years old
>couldn't row in juniors at can Henley bc turned 19 in may. Got raped in u23.
>got to college, team was full of fat drunk dudes pulling 6:20s.
>quit
>start lifting to only realize how imbalanced my body was left.

It did leave me with a fucking insane sense of determination and disciple though. Without it id be nowhere where I am now.

Any love for boatcoach on Android, or does everyone just stick to the PM? Seems like auto upgrade to PM5, minus games. Also option to display calories in terms of Boston cream donuts.

but remember imbalances come with improper training perhaps your coaches fault? But yeah it teaches you skills for life

pm5 is life

How good of an indicator for 2k speed is a 20 min piece? It's like 2k+6 isn't it?

PM3 on mine. Poverty C2.

a good indicator is doing 3x2ks at 15 seconds above the split you want with 8 minute ish rests and if you can hit it 3 times then you can achieve your ideal

I didnt use anything for the first 5 years of rowing until i got equipment from oxford