Is a 8:40 minute mile good for a beginner? I'm overweight and have been running for about a month

Is a 8:40 minute mile good for a beginner? I'm overweight and have been running for about a month.

Yeah if you're as overweight as you say you are. Make sure you keep on pushing yourself. Also make sure to work on stamina as much as speed. Stretching a run out to 3 or 5 miles will help get speed up as well.

Good job user !

Yes because think about it like this

a 5k is 3.1 miles

Which means you'd run about a 27 minute 5k, which is definitely good for beginners. I ran a 5k once (I had played soccer so running a lot isn't new to me) and finished in like 29 minutes

With practice I know I could get done to like 23 minutes

that's good for an overweight beginner. keep going user

OP here, thanks for the support!

Theres no such thing as "good for a beginner". Just keep improving

How can that guy be fat and have small calves.

>been running since September and still at a 30min 5k

I guess you're just a retard who has no natural ability for anything

>t. athletic talent

As others have said, good job and don't worry about how long it takes.
You can only improve if you keep at it

That's not really bad tho

8 minute mile is an "excellent" time in US Army PT training. So...not bad. Keep going.

Please done get discouraged. I had played soccer for 8 years at the point so I had stamina built up. 5k's aren't the easiest man, 30 minutes of non-stop running is definitely an achievement

Soon you'll get under 30, and then under 29, then 28, 27, 26

You can do it friend, i believe in you

>8 minute mile
>excellent
Are you serious? I'd call a 6 minute mile excellent

I haven't been doing cardio enough for improvement and I run a 12 minute mile on a treadmill, so an 8 minute mile is good especially if you're on real ground.

that's not bad at all user. keep it up, have fun, listen to chill music, or enjoy the sounds of outside. running is my meditation and i've gone through more asics than any other shoe.
where do you run, is it around a lake, on the side of the road, on trail? i'm pretty lucky that the city i live in seems to really cater to bikers and runners. i have 3 small scrubs with trails within 30 minute drives of me, and a state park that's about 45 minutes away. i go when at times when few people are there because i like to run on the bike trails due to how much they change in elevation and they're more "rugged". sorry if you like to bike, i know they hate me.

Yes we should raise the bar for the club of people who might be killed for politics.

Calves are affected by genetics the most

>one mile is 1,6 km
>he needs 8:60 minutes for it
>i run one km under 3:30 if i put some effort into it, without any training (this is literally my lowest performance point)

In other words, yes, it is a shit time, but hey, it can only get better from here on...

>gee why can't this new guy run a 5 minute mile like I can?

Your brain must be atrophied

that's good dude. around 8:30 you'd be in the middle of the pack for most 5k's. keep adding distance, and throw in some speed/hill training